Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender neutral pronouns mod?

For all the modders out there, i'm begging you, pLEASE make a mod for gender neutral pronouns. All I want is that every 'he' and 'she' in notifications etc is replaced with 'they'. And 'him' and 'her' replaced with 'their' of course. This would improve my enjoyment of the game immensely.

Comments

• diddlochcoojdiddlochcooj Posts: 56 Member
    Alternatively, could someone point me in the general direction of how I could do this myself? I have no experience with modding, only with making cc
  • pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    edited June 2015
    You would need to override the strings in your language I believe. I haven't tested this but to me it looks like it should work when you replace stuff like
    {0.SimFirstName} forgot to have a party for{M0.his}{F0.her} birthday. Or maybe no one wanted to come? Either way, it's very sad.

with
    {0.SimFirstName} forgot to have a party for their birthday. Or maybe no one wanted to come? Either way, it's very sad.

The string resource is in Origin Games > The Sims 4 > Data > Strings_ENG_US.package (in a US English install). You can open it with s4pe (select that resource, hit "Grid", then in the window that opens hit the button with the three dots at the top right) and copy + paste the strings you need into a STBL in a new package that you save in /Mods. The keys need to remain the same so it will override the equivalent strings in your game files. Do not edit the stuff in Strings_ENG_US.package directly (even when it seems tempting), that'll be overwritten by the next patch.
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • FogityFogity Posts: 122 Member
    Although this thread is three years old, I want to inform anyone stumbling upon this through searches that a mod for this now exists. It is made by me and called Gender Less. It can be downloaded here.
    Played since The Sims 1 and now makes mods for The Sims 4:
    Gender Less - Gender neutral pronouns and titles
    Hidden Highlight - Removes the white outline
    Unlocked CAS Parts - Unlocks hidden CAS items
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Per your request on your mod download page am making a recommendation. In the example of Mortimer Goth the pronoun revisions were all plural. Submit that singular ones be done when the message relates to an individual sim.
    @Oldeseadogge The issue with this is that there are no established singular neutral personal pronoun in English. That is why I have chosen to use the singular They instead.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Understand. Problem is that 'they' is third person plural nominative. 'Their' is the same only objective. (They ate their pizza.) While 'it' is singular, the word is hardly fitting for humans. What about referencing the first or surname?
    The way I do the mod I need to replace every instance of "He/She", "his/her", etc. with "They", "their", etc. so if I where to change to using names it would be for all occurrences of one of "They", "their", "them", etc. And I don't believe that would be better, but might be wrong. To remove these issues with the texts I'd have to manually edit the lines, and that is work I am not willing to do.

If anyone wants to use my mod as a base for doing this though, they are free to do so. Maybe ask me for advice on how to best do it first though.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited October 2018
    Understand. Problem is that 'they' is third person plural nominative. 'Their' is the same only objective. (They ate their pizza.) While 'it' is singular, the word is hardly fitting for humans. What about referencing the first or surname?

{professional hat on} They has never been plural-only in the UK and it is increasingly accepted as a singular option in North America as well, because it's inclusive. The singular they is now used by most newspapers and by most book publishers. I think it's fine to go ahead and use it. {professional hat off}
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Keep politics out of this.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Keep politics out of this.

I don't see any politics in this thread. It's a discussion of what's currently accepted as gender-neutral pronouns, which is a question of linguistics and publishing practices across media, not one of politics.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • YourAverageDuck1YourAverageDuck1 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @catitude5 said:
    > Keep politics out of this.

What about gender identities is political? Why is someone wanting their sims to use they/them pronouns political? Human rights aren't political at all.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there,

Since this thread had been inactive since 2018 and had come to a natural conclusion, I'm closing it as per our necroposting rules.

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top