Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims won't go down stairs issue

I posted this in the technical forum but thought i'd post it here in case it was a mac specific problem.

I installed pets today and loaded up my family after not visiting them for a couple of months and nobody can get down the spiral staircases! They can go up just not down! Anyone know what might be causing this? I tried deleting the stairs and adding in new ones but whenever a sim tries to go down them it comes up with the same message that something is blocking the way even though nothing is and the sims have used the stairs hundreds of times before!

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    mia919mia919 Posts: 186 New Member
    edited October 2011
    The same thing happened to me during one of my "test" games. I keep playing different households in different neighborhoods trying to see if the horse-freeze problem is neighborhood-specific (BTW, the freeze problem is the worst in Appaloosa Plains, but will happen to me in any neighborhood if a horse comes near my lot.)

As a kind of solution for the stair problem, I moved my sims to a new house and they have no problem with stairs in the new location. At this point there are so many problems with Pets that I assume everything is related. They basically need to re-work the entire game. :(
  • Options
    FigwitFigwit Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited October 2011
    Are the stairs cc ones? If so, there is a fix at TSR. If not, try replacing them. :-)
  • Options
    KarinLKarinL Posts: 3,989 Member
    edited October 2011
    Are they spiral staircases or ordinary ones? I have the same issue with a spiral staircase. I don't have any cc staircases at the moment.
  • Options
    SnapdragonSnapdragon Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2011
    Custom content objects from before the patch or Pets are broken. All of them. You cannot use them anymore unless you get an updated version. Some store items seem to be affected, too, btw.

The patch also broke the Spiral staircases from the game. The patch set them to EP5 only, so if you haven't got Pets but the patch, you can't use them properly anymore.

Now the in-game spiral staircase not working despite having Pets installed is probably another issue. I remember that from Sims1: when a staircase was used by an animal there was a chance that after that the stair became unusable. Maybe this is a similar problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I had the problem with Pets installed - there was a 'use staircase' interaction, but my Sims stood around with the 'routing failure' balloon over their heads (the crossed-out footprints).

This was before they even had a pet in the house, though.

I uninstalled Pets because of the 'horse-glitch' making my game unplayable and I still have the same problem when they try to go down autonomously, and there is no 'use staircase' interaction any more - but that last problem is because I don't have Pets any more.
    I'm not sure where the first 'routing failure' error is coming from, though - I haven't had any cats and dogs in most of the houses that have the issue.
  • Options
    mia919mia919 Posts: 186 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I've only experienced this issue in one house. I tried replacing the stairs several times, spiral and regular staircases both would not work in that particular house, I have Pets installed, and I had a Sim and 2 dogs in the household.

Like I said, I fixed my problem by moving that household to a new house.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Have you posted this in the Pets bug report thread? Seems that crinrict is not aware of that problem yet. And I doubt that this can be explained away by you having a Mac. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but can't remember where exactly.
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited October 2011
    Seems I'm having this issue as well. Strangely the maid has no problems with them. So since I really do not want to move my sims to another house, I just teleport them up and down till EA decides to fix another one of THEIR glitches. It's just beyond me how they could manage to screw up something like this.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited October 2011
    You probably already have but have you tried resetting the sim?

Open up the cheat console by holding down CTRL, Shift, C

Type in resetsim firstname lastname

EG - my Sim is called Bluebell Flora so I would type in resetsim Bluebell Flora
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    FlashygrrlFlashygrrl Posts: 634 Member
    edited October 2011
    K well, I quit my game and did something I should have done in the first place....deleted the 4 cache files. They seem to work now. Try that if you haven't.

ETA: Well, they're not completely fixed. They will only go up them, not down.

And I forgot to mention the issue seems to only be with the spiral ones.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Flashygrrl wrote:
    ETA: Well, they're not completely fixed. They will only go up them, not down.

And I forgot to mention the issue seems to only be with the spiral ones.

Exactly the same as my issue. They go up, but they can't come down - not via the stairs, and not sliding down the bannister (for my childish Sims).
    They will go up and then stand around at the top of the stairs looking stupid with the 'crossed out feet' icon over their heads.
    It doesn't matter whether I have Pets installed or not.

The house has a foundation, and they have no trouble going up and down the short ordinary staircase to ground level.
  • Options
    Sammymon2000Sammymon2000 Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2012
    Has anyone discovered a fix to this problem yet? I've had this happen to me in two houses I've worked very hard on and refuse to not play them...but have no choice until this glitch is fixed. Very disappointed in Maxis/EA over this. Have the SimGuru's responded on this yet? It's been almost a year.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    As it doesn't happen to everyone in every case it's probably nothing that can be fixed. I don't have problems with spiral staircases (yet) but from what I remember they now need more empty space around them to work properly. Try shifting them around a bit.
  • Options
    HydrasisHydrasis Posts: 216 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I know this hasn't had a new post in a while but for anyone still searching for a fix I link you to it now.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/11/bug-spiral-staircases-dont-work-anymore.html
  • Options
    lindseyybecca4lindseyybecca4 Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Thank you so much!
    I downloaded a house and they had a pot of flowers under the spiral stairs, and I went and deleted that, and now it works fine!
  • Options
    Sims3lover1138Sims3lover1138 Posts: 22
    edited December 2012
    The same thing happens to me. Only they won't go up OR down, so I've been having to use the moveobjects cheat. I think it's the spiral staircase or the pets ep. I wish I would have never gotten pets.
  • Options
    ReitzReitz Posts: 1 New Member
    So from what I've discovered, it most likely has to do with the Pets expansion, but could also just be a side effect of the moveobjects cheat. I had downloaded a house from the gallery and on the staircase upstairs, the builder had used the cheat to place a tall & thin potted plant at the top next to the rail. I deleted it in build mode and now my alien and pet raccoon can move easily from floor to floor.
    Check to make sure there's no objects disrupting the occupied spaces needed for the stairs.
    I hope this works for everyone! If not, I'm sorry, I don't have ALL the answers.