Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

As an Expansion Pack, does "Get Famous" look overpriced?

Comments

• orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    No, Get Famous does not look overpriced
    Loanet wrote: »
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    The purpose? Well if you must know, it's nice to have a post that tells the Gurus whether we're okay with their price/content ratio and the level of information we're getting.

While new animations aren't easy, devs do recycle and repurpose them where possible and there are a LOT to choose from. Cats and Dogs was so hard because every pet needed every animation to be brand new.

It's actively new coding that I look for in the actual value of a pack. For example, in Get To Work its value was in Active Careers and making your own shop. However the devs now know how to make active careers, so any new active careers created involve recycled code. Resturaunts and running your own vet clinic are based heavily on Get To Work code. I'm not sure how much of the Fame code will be recycled from Vampire perks.

I'm unaware of the Gurus setting price points. In my humble opinion, this doesn't appear to be out of genuine inquiry. But a way to minimize work someone has done that you believe isn't worthy and disguise it as a friendly discussion. We already know it's not cause the Gurus don't set the price of packs. These are men and women going to work everyday doing their job within the confines they are given.

You pick up on one misplaced word - 'their' - and start talking as if I seriously believe the Gurus set prices, or I'm attacking Gurus in general. Somebody asked why this poll was set up. I answered. The answer is, it's nice to know if people are happy with the price point and to let other people know whether people are happy. So, I'm afraid that 'your humble opinion', is wrong. It is genuine inquiry. Sorry 'bout that.

EA sets the prices. But EA doesn't read this board. Gurus do. I'm sure at least they like to know if people are happy or not.

All I ask for is a yes/no opinion to a yes/no question. If you don't feel like you can judge, don't. I personally think having 'maybe' as an option on polls is a bad idea, which is why there is no such option.

We'll agree to disagree.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Yes, Get Famous currently looks overpriced
    Currently, from what I've seen in this trailer, I'd say yes it looks overpriced. There appears to only be 1 career, the fame system and a new world, which doesn't feel worth $40. However, if the acting career is really complex, has multiple branches and gives you a lot of creative control, then perhaps no it would not seem overpriced. We will have to wait and see.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Currently, from what I've seen in this trailer, I'd say yes it looks overpriced. There appears to only be 1 career, the fame system and a new world, which doesn't feel worth $40. However, if the acting career is really complex, has multiple branches and gives you a lot of creative control, then perhaps no it would not seem overpriced. We will have to wait and see.

That's where I stand right now too... but I suppose that the other EPs didn't have that much content either.

• Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I don't think there's enough information out there to properly answer the question. We have some basics, but we don't know if there's more. Like how the existing careers will be able to be famous, as just one example. So I'm not going to answer at this time. I'll wait until Sims Camp is done, and we've got more info from that and the live streams and other stuff.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    None of the packs are worth $40 period. I made a thread on this when Seasons came out I think. Honestly, I think a thread like this comes up every time a new pack is released lol so that should tell you something.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    To be quite honest, I think each and every Sims pack is overpriced. I haven't bought any of the packs I own at full price, and I plan on waiting for Target to (hopefully) have a 50% off sale to buy Get Famous.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    To be fair I said no but I also think all EPs are overpriced. But your question was more around whether you think it should even be an expansion so my answer reflects that. A new world, a new active career, a new fame system that expands to all other careers. That’s just what we currently know about. The launch trailer always only gives a snippet of info. I’ve already seen a massive amount of new CAS items as well. So no I think it should be an expansion, but $40 is too much in general. I’ll probably wait for a sale or make a bundle myself since I don’t have all of the game packs and stuff packs. I have yet to pay full price for any expansion.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member
    I don't think there's enough information out there to properly answer the question. We have some basics, but we don't know if there's more. Like how the existing careers will be able to be famous, as just one example. So I'm not going to answer at this time. I'll wait until Sims Camp is done, and we've got more info from that and the live streams and other stuff.

Exactly, we hardly know anything about what s in it ?
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffirentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Movie sets and a reputation system aren't that impressive. More complex systems have been introduced in game packs such as Parenthood & Dine Out.

As someone who brought every single one of those gold edition TS3 store worlds that cost like $40 each, a normal size world alone is more than enough to justify the extra $20 for me ;)
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No the EP's have not been overpriced so far with what comes with them in my estimation.
    We don't know everything about this pack but of course it has to go to the it's underdone and overpriced themes in threads right away.. of course.

In the trailer and what's been release or leaked about it we know we are getting a new world, at least the actor career and everything surrounding that including but not limited too sets, directors, bouncer/bodyguards?, makeup artist, a fame/reputation system, stage settings and whatever events play out on them, all of the props .. some of which I'm sure can be used outside of the career, fans reactions, social media engagement.
    On top of that we have the fame system to work in other areas of the game.. that we still have much to learn about. I'm sure there is a lot coming that we don't know about also. There always is.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2018
    People who voted "No", may you iterate? Currently, what's diffirentiating it from a normal game pack is a normal-sized world which doesn't justify the extra $20 slapped on the product. I am getting it either-way since sales are often 2 weeks after launch :P but can't justify spending $40.

Movie sets and a reputation system aren't that impressive. More complex systems have been introduced in game packs such as Parenthood & Dine Out.

You make a very good point. Those of us interested in buying it but don’t feel it’s worth $40 should just buy it 2 weeks after release for 50% off.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    Too soon to tell. Ill answer this after all of the trailers and live streams
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The purpose? Well if you must know, it's nice to have a post that tells the Gurus whether we're okay with their price/content ratio and the level of information we're getting.

While new animations aren't easy, devs do recycle and repurpose them where possible and there are a LOT to choose from. Cats and Dogs was so hard because every pet needed every animation to be brand new.

It's actively new coding that I look for in the actual value of a pack. For example, in Get To Work its value was in Active Careers and making your own shop. However the devs now know how to make active careers, so any new active careers created involve recycled code. Resturaunts and running your own vet clinic are based heavily on Get To Work code. I'm not sure how much of the Fame code will be recycled from Vampire perks.

I'm unaware of the Gurus setting price points. In my humble opinion, this doesn't appear to be out of genuine inquiry. But a way to minimize work someone has done that you believe isn't worthy and disguise it as a friendly discussion. We already know it's not cause the Gurus don't set the price of packs. These are men and women going to work everyday doing their job within the confines they are given.

You pick up on one misplaced word - 'their' - and start talking as if I seriously believe the Gurus set prices, or I'm attacking Gurus in general. Somebody asked why this poll was set up. I answered. The answer is, it's nice to know if people are happy with the price point and to let other people know whether people are happy. So, I'm afraid that 'your humble opinion', is wrong. It is genuine inquiry. Sorry 'bout that.

EA sets the prices. But EA doesn't read this board. Gurus do. I'm sure at least they like to know if people are happy or not.

All I ask for is a yes/no opinion to a yes/no question. If you don't feel like you can judge, don't. I personally think having 'maybe' as an option on polls is a bad idea, which is why there is no such option.

We'll agree to disagree.

I don't agree with that.

;)

JK, I do agree with some of the people here that the Fame coding looks interesting and useful. However I also think EA is taking advantage of its new tiered method of pricing to charge more for less. The Fame coding is being applied to a lot of jobs but you'll only see it if you have Get Famous, just like you only see Seasons with Seasons and only see clubs if you bought Get Together.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    No expansion pack is worth $40, imo. I refuse to pay that much.
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    If Get Together had a new broad system as a feature, a world that was worth exploring, tons of new objects and animations and is not considered overpriced but rather a high-acclaimed pack, then why would this be? This one even has an in-depth new career, on the level of Get To Work.

I think most people are underestimating the EP because it seems more focused than others, despite having a consensus that they do a better work that way.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member

Exactly how do you know it's not as impressive? Dine Out's system is limited to only restaurants. The fame system expands out to every career in the game. And that's literally all we know about it so far, unless you have more details the rest of us don't?

Didn't think so.

We were given teases about it. Papparazzi, freebies, & perks. All the norm as of now. What much can they introduce?
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited October 2018
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    To be quite honest, I think each and every Sims pack is overpriced. I haven't bought any of the packs I own at full price, and I plan on waiting for Target to (hopefully) have a 50% off sale to buy Get Famous.

I find Game Packs completely worth the price. Every single one adds so much and can easily be integerated into gameplay :) (Except Spa Day...Only thing it has going for it is build/buy)
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I'm going with no. I remember with every previous expansion pack announcement people on here would go "Oh, there's nothing with this EP. It's not worth it!" and then they see the live stream and change their minds.

I know the drill. More details to come the closer we get to release day. I like what I see so far, though.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    Even with the well phrased word "currently" at the OP's poll question, its still really too early to tell IMO. However I'm personally loving all the contents that are unfolding since its announcement.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    For me it depends on the size of the new world, the depth of the celebrity system, whether the new active career offers replay value and the number of CAS items. So I am in the camp "looks good so far, but I need more information". This is a pack I will most likely get, but the factors above will determine whether I'll get it right away or I'll wait for a sale.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I think it's less of 'I'm not buying this pack' to 'I'm not buying this pack at full price' if it was me. Knowing how I am, I will purchase an EP/GP eventually, even better when it's on sale. However the price of Get Famous is won't matter much to me in the long-run bc I would buy an EP or GP at full price if I wanted to.

I've also regretted every time I buy a pack at full-price too. (except Vampires) It's a terrible cycle.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CogshellCogshell Posts: 164 Member
    From watching the trailer, yes it does look overpriced but only because it's only the announcement trailer so they obviously won't go too in depth yet. I'm sure that after the livestream and once we get more details of the pack then it will be worth its price.
    ZnG1wMG.png
  • Lexington1988Lexington1988 Posts: 70 Member
    I'm tentatively saying no, but only because there isn't a 'too early to know yet' option. I'm generally quite satisfied with the content of the expansion packs (there are exceptions to that rule, but I've been satisfied more than I've been disappointed,' so if the developers think that this should be categorised as an EP, then I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see evidence that makes me think otherwise.

Personally, it's not my kind of pack (though I will get it, and I will probably create a new save to fully experience it before trying to integrate it into my current saves), and I will always be a little bit disappointed at every expansion announcement that isn't University lol. But from the speck of information we've got so far, it does look interesting, and I'm excited to find out more.

In terms of whether any expansion pack is worth the price, I see-saw a bit on that one. On the one hand, it always seems steep. On the other, when I look at my total hours of game play (I think it's in the four digits now), and the fact that I buy maybe three packs a year, I can justify it. To myself at least!
  • 73silvy7373silvy73 Posts: 36 Member
    Yes indeed. For me this is a game pack , not a expansion pack. I'm very sorry to say that but I think so
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey, folks just hopping in here asking us all to be a wee bit more respectful in how we voice our disagreements. Some folks have different expectations of expansions and what brings value. Let's not scoff at them and keep it respectful. If we can't, the thread may have to be locked.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.