Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death phone calls?

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I want to get phone calls only for close friends and relatives.
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    The first time any of my Sims ever experienced this (somewhat) was last night. Except, my Sim didn't even get a call or a notification at all, she just suddenly got the sad moodlet. I had to go look in her relationships to see who died. It was a co-worker she'd only known for a few days with limited interaction. His ghost was listed in her relationships still as a co-worker, but the next time she went to work, he was replaced with another townie. He's not in households management either.

What really bums me out is this guy had won the lottery and I was contemplating having my Sim marry him for his money and then send him to 'the deep forest' herself with one last woohoo. I know that sounds, well, cold. But hey, that's a much happier way to go for a millionaire than just dying alone of old age 'somewhere.' I don't even know where to find his urn if it even exists since he was 'not in world.' :/

Anyway, I think it would be better to only get notices for family and close friends with varying degrees of mourning depending on how strong the relationship happened to be with your Sim. I also agree that if the Sim was an enemy, you wouldn't necessarily get the sad moodlet, but perhaps happy, fine or none at all depending on how deeply the Sim was disliked and any prior relationship they may have had. I can see how that might get too complicated though so maybe that's why they just assigned a blanket 'sad' moodlet for everyone your Sim knew. I don't know...*shrugs*

I agree with dependence on strength of relationship. My Sims don't meet many people outside their family, so I haven't had any notifications for acquaintances. However, I've had two days of sadness for a family member my main household never met. I married a townie to one of my Sims, and it made sense for her to be sad when he died (though they didn't have much of a relationship at that point), but her child had the sad moodlet for two days for her father's sister, though none of my Sims knew her at all.

I don't want to get rid of the notifications - players have been complaining for ages that unless a Sim actually witnessed a death, it had little effect, even if the Sim was a close relative or friend. It just needs a bit of tuning.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    Babies and toddlers shouldn't get any notification, it's so annoying they don't have a phone so why is it ringing?! And it's dumb how babies age up to be sad. Babies should not be sad about deaths! I think toddlers should be sad for an hour, MAX, depending on who died.
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    I'd want it only for close friends and relatives. We really don't need it for anyone else, it's just annoying and excessive. Also, I think the value on the sad moodlet for death is way too low. It's too easy to overcome by a few good decorations and positive interactions. It should be higher so that's it's nearly impossible to overcome like when a sim is in labour, which if I remember correctly, has a value of 40. There's no way you're overcoming that. The death moodlet should be similar too. Maybe like a 20 or something.
  • KatzMeowzKatzMeowz Posts: 894 Member
    I don't want the calls at all.
    I'm about to quit playing this game over the stupid perpetual mourning most of my sims are in. The ONLY thing even remotely "good" about it is that it's an easy way to rack up some aspiration points.
  • SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    I don't want the calls at all.
    I think it needs to be tuned up some. I am playing the 100 baby challenge and all of my sims eldest children are starting to die off. There’s a death almost daily now. It’s not fun playing with sims that are constantly sad all of the time. I also hate that I have to cheat in aspiration points to buy the moodlet solver for each family member. It’s just not fun and brings down the energy of the game. I can either stay with sad sims, cheat to fix their mood over and over or skip over everything I had planned for them and have them cry in bed all day. None of these sound very enjoyable in my game. I would love to be able to at least have the option to turn off these notifications.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I want to get calls for everyone, but with reduced sadness (e.g. +1 for 6 hours).
    Death is indeed a very serious issue. It should even impact sims for a few days, even if the sim was close to death.
    Oh hamburgers!
  • EliGrangerSimmerEliGrangerSimmer Posts: 62 Member
    I only want them for close friends and family as they get really annoying and your sim gets sad for a sim they barely even know.
    I might look crazy but I am fangirling
  • demonsangelicdemonsangelic Posts: 1 New Member
    MY FEMALE SIM DIED OF OLD AGE WHILE SHE WAS MARRIED WITH HER HUSBAND (thorne from get famous) AND HE WAS SO SAD AND DEPRESSED BECAUSE SHE DIED AND HE WENT IN PUBLIC PLAYING ROMANTIC SONGS ON THE PIANO AND BEEN MOURNING HER DEATH AND VISITED HIS SON AND DAUGTHER TO CHEER THEM UP CUZ SHE DIED AND THEN SHE CALLED HIM FROM THE DEAD SAYING THAT SHE CANT STOP THINKING ABOUT HIM AND SHE INVITED HIM TO A RESTAURANT TO CATCH UP AND HE HAS NEVER BEEN SO HAPPY SO HE ASKED HER OUT AGAIN AND THEY REMARRIED TOGETHER IN THE RESTAURANT AND NOW SHE LIVES WITH HIM AGAIN BUT SHE IS DEAD THIS IS THE KIND OF RELATIONSHIP GOAL I WANT MY HUSBAND COMING FROM THE DEAD TO REMARRY ME UNTIL I DIE MYSELF SO PLEASE KEEP THIS FEATURE NO MATTER WHAT!
  • TropicanaCatTropicanaCat Posts: 93 Member
    I only want calls from Sims mine know well, or who are related to me. I think those are the phone calls that should be upsetting and give a moodlet, otherwise, it would get a bit spammy with the death calls, especially if your Sim didn't really know the other one. Maybe a smaller less long lasting sad debuff for a Sim they didn't know well? For Sims that are not well known, there should be another way of notification, maybe through like online obits, or a newspaper obituary? I like that they added it, but I feel it should be tweaked.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited January 2019
    Have they changed the way the death moodlets work? I noticed recently that the notifications specify if a sim has lost a spouse or parent, which I don't remember seeing before.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    i never even understood why my sims would get a moodlet stating a beloved died by merely witnessing the death of some random stranger they never even met or cared about -.-
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    Like what kind of death calls I don't really understand what you are asking. Sorry not fully comprehending stuff today.

It's a new feature that was churned out with one of the recent patches. Basically, whenever someone outside of the played household dies that any of your Sims even only somewhat know, they'll get a call informing them that this Sim has died. Only problem is, Sims get these calls not only for close friends, lovers, or family, but also for very minor acquaintances, disliked people, or even enemies. Not only that, but the reaction is exactly the same for all of them, forcing a +2 sad moodlet on them for two whole days saying that a "friend" died. I'm sorry, but acquaintances, disliked people, and enemies are NOT "friends."

And because of how frequently Sims tend to die at a certain point in the game with aging on, these calls will start happening constantly. Just when you think you've finally worn down that awful sad moodlet of theirs, another Sim will often die and reset the duration of it right back up to two days again. Toddlers are somehow getting these calls as well, even though they don't even have phones.
    I never get those calls I get notifications saying that such and such is about to die you probably want to spend time with them. Or I get creepy texts from dead sims wanting to go to eat or go to a party.

On a relevant note, I get this notification a lot from the Sim of the household that knowns him as big nemesis. I kinda wish the game made illation doesn't give a pl*m about that Sim in that emotional context, so shouldn't I too. My Sim bullied the old man, why would "spending last remaining dead days with him" be consideration? Speaking of message, I don't like how the TS4 emphasis of the ghost-hustling-life, more so than TS3. So force in every situation and more persistent than TS3. Dead doesn't want to act their dead stage, as If they had unfinished business that cannot be finished. Developers really should stop neglecting this things that makes the game go against player control.
    Terra wrote: »
    Thanks for putting up a poll about this. I'm going to link to it on my thread about community feedback about death mechanics in TS4.

I think this feature was introduced because there has been feedback about wanting Sims to react to deaths outside their households. It's a shame that the devs instituted such a "one size fits all" policy. If you click through my signature to my death feedback thread, you can see some more nuanced ideas about how they could have tailored moodlets to reflect the relationship with the Sim (e.g. an Evil Sim is happy when an Enemy dies, a Good Sim is sad they never made up).

They likely never will. 5 years and look what/where their priorities out. Major remaining problems that put veteran off the game are yet barely or not at all remedied. Sims are broken, so their aftermath life, both of which are the core and fundamental aspects of The Sims.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Honestly, I want the calls but I want the grieving varied. No calls for the person who delievered my pizza, please. My Sims childhood friend who she kinda remembers, maybe a call with 2 hour grieving or something.... Her cousins she hasn't really met other than at that one family function, same thing, family she has met but isn't tht close to, maybe 4 hr griving, closer friends/family 1 day, husband/parents/spouse/children/best friend 2 days. Just an example, maybe not perfect but something along these lines.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I rarely get death phone calls but then I control all the aging in my game - so that is probably why as my Sims rarely die except by emotion or a rather rare accident. It's the beauty of controlling aging yourself.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    One more issue related to this is then the "spirit fading" notifications. When an NPC all my sims knew died, I eventually got the same notification 6x, once per each sim - as if it was necessary. It's the same with the phone calls that are duplicate across any your sim who knew the character. It should be merged into a single notification for death and spirit fading (preferably with the option to disable the 'spirit fading' notification because I don't care for ghosts anyway, less so for NPC ghosts).
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I rarely get death phone calls but then I control all the aging in my game - so that is probably why as my Sims rarely die except by emotion or a rather rare accident. It's the beauty of controlling aging yourself.

Some of us want to have a natural progression when people age and die normally, so this is not a solution at all for some of us.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    I really don’t understand why they programmed the death calls this way. If I was developing a feature like this it would make the most sense if they became sad in response to close friends and family. It just feels lazy to me.
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    mehh the game probabely just LOVES to spam your sims with any form of calls -.- wether it is some random generated trash i once had the displeasure of meeting at some random event or whatever: i get the call the thing died (yess! finally!) and well...we all know the aggrevation that is there is a party in the nightclub/on the Cliffs whatever!

what i don't get tho is: why do i Always get a heavy sad moodlet stating a beloved died even tho i don't even know the random generated trash i just murdered with my vampire?? is the game already deciding that that random UGLY elder pearmonster was gonna be my sim's love interest without my knowing??? i just don't get it at all...ohh well won't stop me from wiping those obnoxious buggers out because they annoy me greatly.
  • Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    It would be better if they got a smug moodlet when an enemy dies .
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    JPsimmer wrote: »
    I really don’t understand why they programmed the death calls this way. If I was developing a feature like this it would make the most sense if they became sad in response to close friends and family. It just feels lazy to me.

Maybe it's not they programmed in, but it is that they didn't program ghost out of it. Probably went "If it's a Sim (regardless of life state), then she/he will text". Even then it seems a easy fix to just flag ghost off the check..... unless the engine the game is built is beyong awful where they having a hassle untangling spaghetti to get off the pepper.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I want the feature to stay as it is.
    It would be useful if the caller told you where to collect that "plum" urn as well. I've been looking all over for some of my dead Sims so that I could put them in my cemetary plot.
  • LeelathesimLeelathesim Posts: 25 Member
    I think that getting phone calls is such a cool feature to have! But also because I had one conversation with someone doesn't mean I need to know if they died.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    The calls about close friends and family is ok, it makes my sims life seem more real and I always like that.
    I'm more disturbed when a recently passed ghost-father/mother calls me and wants to go to a bar or sing karaoke lol.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I think it should be an option we have. Some sims I am playing having everyone in creation calling them is fine. While others I would only want close friends and family. While others are evil and shouldn't care about people dying and not get any calls at all.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • JugaariJugaari Posts: 11 New Member
    I want to get calls for everyone, but with reduced sadness (e.g. +1 for 6 hours).
    Reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :D
  • PlumbobMafiaQueenPlumbobMafiaQueen Posts: 147 Member
    My sim was getting married and before she went to the arch she got a call the food vendor guy had died!!!! He spoke to her once and she was in full mental breakdown mode :#