March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Famous - Official Trailer

Comments

• BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    storminmay wrote: »
    I wonder if the Athlete career will be affected by this? Being a famous bodybuilder or a professional athlete seems like it would work well with the fame aspect...
    This. This is really what I’m interested in. SimguruKate said they worked so it can work with other careers, so maybe being at a high level of the career, but honestly these are mainly the questions I’d like answered first. How does the fame system work, luckily she tweeted there will be a livestream for this aspect along with reputation.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    I was actually really excited yesterday...but this trailer and the heavy focus on just acting made me realize that a new world might literally be the only thing this pack has over the already existing Road to Fame mod. So now I'm just kinda "....meh" :/

So far it feels more like a game pack than an expansion.

Well hopefully it offers something different for you and there are many simmers who want official content vs mods.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I hope sims don't automatically become famous when they reach the top of their career. I'd like to choose which of my sims are famous.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    They already said it was a perk system.

I'm thinking it will probably be like vampires, earning points to unlock higher rank perks.
    At least that's what I hope it will be, I really love the vampire perk system.
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I wonder if the Athlete career will be affected by this? Being a famous bodybuilder or a professional athlete seems like it would work well with the fame aspect...
    This. This is really what I’m interested in. SimguruKate said they worked so it can work with other careers, so maybe being at a high level of the career, but honestly these are mainly the questions I’d like answered first. How does the fame system work, luckily she tweeted there will be a livestream for this aspect along with reputation.

Athlete is definitely one of the most obvious candidates for fame (at least the Professional Athlete branch, not sure I know any famous bodybuilders, but I might be wrong), so it would be silly not to open the path to fame for this career. Other very likely candidates in my opinion include Entertainer, Social Media, Writer, and Painter, anything art-related really. It would also be interesting to see how the sim world would handle a star criminal, especially if Get To Work is installed and cops are a thing. One job that most likely won't get the fame treatment is Secret Agent because, you know, secrecy and all that.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    This expansion needs more pop culture references if it's a celebrities/acting/whatever themed one.

Add a random NPC who looks like The Doctor or something.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    So we can be a famous criminal? Sounds interesting..
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    I feel we're going backwards in terms of the naming of the expansions. Get To Work, Get Together, City Living, Pets, Seasons, then Get Famous? Yeah, yeah, the name's accurate, but it just feels like there was a meeting, someone was like, "let's call it 'The Sims 4: Silver Screen'," but then the EA rep was like, "who do you think you work for?! We have to show we're the greediest company there is! Get, get, get, that's what we want," so the Maxis guys were panickedly going, "okay, okay, please, we'll call it...uh...'Get Famous'! Please don't fire me, sir, I have kids!" Then the EA rep started calming down and was like, "good. Good, that's...that's better. Excuse me, all this excitement has made me sweaty, I need to take a money bath before the coke party."

Hilarious hypothetical situations aside, I'm curious if this is going to be more Sims 3: Showtime or The Sims: Superstar. Are we going to be able to make our way as a pop music sensation or stage magician, or is this going to be focused more around acting? What sort of gameplay changes are they going to implement? Can we create entourages in the same way one creates clubs in Get Together? What new life state will they implement and why should it be Witches/Warlocks? Will the new neighborhood have festivals if we have City Living installed? I want to know!

Yes I'm hyped, why do you ask?
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I just love that we had plenty content for family players throughout these past years, a major free update for builders, and now an EP that revolves all around storytelling.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

Great! So there is a fame and reputation system! Awesome.

Exited for the acting career as well, but I'm wondering how there was a limo in the trailer.....was that decor then?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I don't know how to feel about this trailer, very little is actually shown. The movie sets and costumes look beautiful. But what is the new fame system like? What are the different careers? What does the city even look like? Nothing else is shown. All I see in this clip is someone acting and then partying. Not the best trailer in my opinion...

It's hard to show a system in a minute-long trailer. The Seasons trailer never showed making your own holidays either. For an EP trailer it's fine -- we've got over 4 weeks for further trailers and blogs to give us more details.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    My bet is that the limo fuctions just like the van in City Living, or all those cars in and out the parking lots around the neighborhoods.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
    edited October 2018
    happyopi wrote: »

I'm thinking it will probably be like vampires, earning points to unlock higher rank perks.

The fame system is a perk system? That's kind of disappointing. I hope it just doesn't recycle the vampires perk system. If it does, I'm not buying it until it's discounted. I was hoping for an actual celebrity system.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It’s good that existing careers are taken into account. I hope that the reputation system impacts on things like cheating too.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited October 2018
    Alright, note that I'm just speaking for myself here.

To start, I did NOT see this coming. I figured that there might've been a pack like this (knowing similar packs in previous games) in the future, but I expected a GP this month, not another EP. And to be honest, I didn't really want a pack like this. The Road to Fame mod worked quite well for me, so while this pack is at least slightly interesting, can't say I'm hyped.

I'll have to agree with others talking about the trailer, I didn't see much that tells me this is an EP worth buying. The majority of what you see is a female Sim pretty much being worshipped by those around her, a couple of acting scenes, some costumes, and a new city.

Just my two cents on what I take away from the trailer. I know many simmers out there prefer the official content over mods, but I'm just saying that for me, I don't see anything that convinces me this pack will be worth the usual $40 asking price EPs are stamped with. I'll probably check out the livestreams and see if my mind changes.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I hope there is a way to avoid the reputation system. Don't get me wrong I want to try it out.. but I like to play cheaters/bad guys that don't get caught. It's part of their sneaky character.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Well, the build/buy is opulent as plum. I'm going to enjoy playing around with that!
    There are so many costumes and hairstyles! :love: This will make other playstyles like History (Victorian, Western, 1930's etc), Apocalyptic world (Steampunk), Role playing and story telling (Pirates and Star Wars) etc. sooooooo much fun and remove the need for cc. I'm very excited about these because it allows for more freedom and creativity.

The acting career itself looks interesting and engaging. I'm looking forward to seeing the "challenges" mentioned - I hope that becoming famous isn't easy, as in real life. It should be a challenge to obtain celeb status, otherwise it won't be as fun and rewarding. Gossip, intrusive paparazzi, stress and maybe even alienation would colour the experience amazingly!
    The lifestyles look interesting to delve into! This type of thing is actually what I've been wanting. I like these kind of things that differentiate sims and lifestyles within the game. Right now, any sim can throw lavish parties and it won't necessarily feel very special. A celebrity party with throwing money and status and drama with paparazzi and gossip etc, however, makes the game much more interesting.

Since TS4 likes to concentrate on the details of certain things, I think that being a celebrity might be quite an experience with this pack. Sims can become celebrities through many careers and skills, which is super awesome and adds a lot of variety in stories that can be played out. I feel that adding status and reputation to achieving high levels in these things, adds a sense of accomplishment to it. Every single sim that masters their career doesn't have to become a lavish 5 star celeb, but that sim will gain a reputation and recognition for their success, as in real life. Even though a scientist that made a breakthrough might not be talked about in the homes of normal teenagers, that scientist is known and respected in his/her field.

I don't know what the "influencer" is, but I'm guessing it has something to do with social media and setting trends. Honestly, if this is the case, I think the team should chill a bit with the social media themes. We have A LOT of social media-related careers and hobbies already, so it would be nice to have attention shifted to some traditional (and still missing) careers like teaching, military etc. Not that these careers would have fit into this pack - I'm talking about after this pack is out.

Talking about things that should be in this pack: bands. I didn't see any. Honestly, if bands aren't included, I'm going to be very upset. Bands and fame go hand in hand, and it just wouldn't make sense for them not to be in this pack. If they pull a My First Pet again by making a bands GP, I will not be very happy. It's clear that sims can become famous through music via the Entertainer career, but that isn't the same thing at all. Of course, we haven't seen all the features of this pack yet, but if bands were included, they would be in the description because it would be a big feature. While I do believe that splitting up content to make them more detailed is good because we get more depth, there is a line and I'm not willing to fork out hundreds upon hundreds of dollars just to get the 8 themes that I want in my game scattered across 15 packs...

Besides that, I'm excited to see what else this pack offers. I'm hoping there are some great features for when not playing a celebrity as well. A lot of new activities like watching movies at the big screen/watching theater, playing a new instrument, new skills besides acting, new interactions and the return of game-influencing gossip (ex. gossip popping up on the screen, scandals, reputations, rumours, ruining other sims' reputations and meddling with their lives etc.). This pack offers an opportunity to add a lot of drama and edge, so I hope they seized it.
    I also hope that venues get some more magic. I know that I felt more thrilled about venues in TS3 Late Night because they had a lot of atmosphere and the VIP thing added a sense of exclusivity. Currently, I don't feel anything special about taking my sim out clubbing vs throwing a house party. Venues don't really have that magic to me, but I think that this system can add some. Hopefully new venue activities are added, like bar games and lounge activities. I hope live entertainment becomes more of a deal. Maybe sims can get noticed by someone important if they are preforming in public.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I hope being famous is an option and not automatic.

Me too! It's already hard for me to act like my sims are still normal people with all those astronauts, secret agents and star comedians around, so if everyone is also famous all of a sudden, that would be a little bit too much.

I do want my simself to become a famous writer, though, and my Lara Croft to be a famous archaeologist. B)

I agree. Sims should not just become famous, just because they reach a certain level in a career. it would be too much and TS3 gave a good example how much could go wrong when sims got famous way too easy. Maybe I want sims to be GOOD doctors, but not also famous. It should be an activity on it's own where sims would have to complete certain tasks/activities and go to certain events to become famous along with the level of their career. The star system was a good idea in TS3, but I hated it when my sim just got stars when i did not actively played for it. Thats why I think these tasks, events, activities, socializing with other celebrities etc, attending events/parties would be a good idea.

In Sims 3 we got the oppotunity to start the journey towards fame -- but you could turn it down. Maybe Get Famous will have a similar option -- to become famous maybe you have to hire an agent or something similar.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,323 Member
    edited October 2018
    happyopi wrote: »

Wait where?
    I found that fame unlocks perks
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I hope there is a way to avoid the reputation system. Don't get me wrong I want to try it out.. but I like to play cheaters/bad guys that don't get caught. It's part of their sneaky character.

Options? In Sims 4? Pshaw!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2018
    I'm not too enthused at all. The concept is nice, but execution seems off. Only two careers? The fame system extending to every career could go either way, however, The Sims 3's fame system was terribly annoying to deal with. Imagine if we cannot disable the fame system so now every Sim we have maxing a career ends up famous? Also, I don't have much faith in TS4's AI system for other Sims to properly recognize celebrities, either, given spouses still have trouble recognizing those they are married to.

And Origin's description, to me, read like a poorly skilled salesman trying to get me to purchase some kind of counterfeit product :lol: It just did not sell me on this pack, nor even sell me what the pack is, at all. One thing I noted from it is they are bringing real-world celebrities into the game, which fans have protested against sooo many times throughout TS3. Katy Perry may not be back, but this annoying mentality of shoving celebrities down our throats is alive and well.

Expansions seem to be releasing at a faster rate, which is definitely a plus... That's pretty much the only positive thing I took from this announcement.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member

Makes me wonder what would happen if these famous people cheat in public and get photographed, will there be some sort of reaction to actual cheating for once in TS4 since there will be a reputation system. Or will it only count for the famous sims? Hope they thought about that too,
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    According to the blog it looks like bouncers and nightclubs may be back. I hope so!
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    According to the blog it looks like bouncers and nightclubs may be back. I hope so!

But thought we already had nightclubs since the basegame? IN fact Willow Creek came with one.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    Alright, note that I'm just speaking for myself here.

To start, I did NOT see this coming. I figured that there might've been a pack like this (knowing similar packs in previous games) in the future, but I expected a GP this month, not another EP. And to be honest, I didn't really want a pack like this. The Road to Fame mod worked quite well for me, so while this pack is at least slightly interesting, can't say I'm hyped.

I'll have to agree with others talking about the trailer, I didn't see much that tells me this is an EP worth buying. The majority of what you see is a female Sim pretty much being worshipped by those around her, a couple of acting scenes, some costumes, and a new city.

Just my two cents on what I take away from the trailer. I know many simmers out there prefer the official content over mods, but I'm just saying that for me, I don't see anything that convinces me this pack will be worth the usual $40 asking price EPs are stamped with.

I did not like the trailer. It went by too fast and not much was shown.

We might be looking at another Get Together. This is the shortest trailer for an EP with only a minute and 5 seconds. All others had a minute and at least 20 seconds of footage.

I'm sad that there's nothing else besides acting when it comes to careers, there's no band making, no sound recording studio for singing and other instruments etc. All the gameplay seems to be on top of the fame system and acting career.

I also don't understand why there are makeover stations but the stylist career is free. Also the stylist in the trailer looks like that one random stylist from the Sims Mobile, pink hair, big glasses...exactly the same.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1