Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do we need more nostalgia?

Comments

• Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    edited October 2018
    More nostalgic!
    I would love the sims to have an attraction for other sims once again. Scope room for that perfect someone. And definately add Create a Style again. Also children should care and be upset when seeing their parents cheating.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    Take a new road please
    If I wanted things from the old Sims games, I could just play all the old Sims games.
    I think I'd feel a bit short-changed if EA kept pumping out the same old EPs all the time.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next :D
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Take a new road please
    Nostalgia alone isn't a good enough reason to develop content, imo.

I want this game to first and foremost, get what it needs. Regardless of whether it's something that was done in other games or not. The great thing about the previous games is that they will always be there for whoever wants to relive them.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Take a new road please
    Don't get me wrong, there is some stuff from the previous games that I miss, but really, they can't rely on nostalgia. Long term players who may not have that tight of blinders for the previous games might end up bored if we get the same things with each installment. We need new ideas to keep them fresh.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I'd love a retro Sims 1 SP full of stuff from the first game, like the heart bed. Or maybe a GP with the Sims 1 neighborhood world.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Take a new road please
    I think the game as it is now has a good balance of new fresh ideas sprinkled with that little bit of classic nostalgia. Sure I'd like some features back from previous games, but I think a wish for features is different than wanting nostalgia. I'm sure we can get things like an attraction system, cars, and so on in The Sims 4 in it's own Sims 4 way, while feeling nostalgic, but also new at the same time.
  • HeloNecroHeloNecro Posts: 97 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Actually torn between two. I miss having Sims that had favorite colors and horoscopes, but I also like the the game as it is... Sort of, I hadn't played in a while sincey laptop died but I've been keeping tabs on new game packs and stuff.
  • SherryRNSherryRN Posts: 45 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I voted for nostalgia but not really in terms of gameplay. I remember something from Sims 2, and it has been a long time for me, but something to do with world building. You had a world, I believe we decided what size lots would be on there, and then screwed around with the background putting trees and rainbows and stuff there. And then messing about with the terrain levels was also a lot of fun. I really enjoyed trying to make cliffside houses that looked like they had sound engineering behind them and wouldn't just fall right off if you looked at them wrong. In Sims 4 a house can have a foundation, I don't remember if we did that in 2, or I just didn't know how to do it. But what I did do was a lot of "boots and cap" where you put the house on a little plateau of a small hill and then extend the roof out on all sides. That's a really old building style and I liked playing with it. Also I miss swing sets.

I do enjoy building still in this current game, mind you, it's fun. But I'd love to mess around with background things in the worlds, not just the lots, and cram lots in here and there when the mood strikes. I could see a world full of little bitty lots for a tiny house community, with a community lot in there for all the stuff they'd do together. I could still do that in Newcrest I suppose, making one lot a big park and such, and maybe I'm not describing this very well. I do like willow creek and Newcrest for the ability to wander somewhat and go fishing all over the place. Willow Creek with all those canals is pretty interesting.
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    I vote for both, but I want the Smustle back.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Take a new road please
    I feel like they should have new content. If you get nostalgic over an old game, why not just play it? People abandoned Sims 3 when Sims 4 was released, but I still play both games to this day!
  • simster248psimster248p Posts: 5 New Member
    More nostalgic!
    I added the sims 1 music to my game for the nostalgia. those tunes bring back memories.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Nostalgic in the senses of having the things that worked before but don't or are missing in this version and in having the game on a solid foundation. After several years of periodic attempts to get into this game I keep having the feeling it's like a building on sand, and we know what happens when the tide comes in. Going in new directions is fine provided you have the basic fundamentals down pat, and TS4 doesn't.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2018
    Take a new road please
    For me it depends.

I want to see new stuff but I also want a few things from previous games. Perhaps an equilibrium could be achieved. But I really want to see them explore new real life areas they haven't explored.

Building a farm, and/or a ranch with horses and ponies and managing livestock and produce would be something I would really like to see, it's something they have never done and I would love it. Selling products to local grocery stores,

They also never did a sports pack, with medals and trophies, sport agents, professional competitions and contests etc. They dabbed onto it a bit with Freetime on TS2 but it was more about turning hobbies into profits, not about sports themselves and sims competing with each other.

They also haven't really done a romance driven pack since Nightlife. They could do a pack just about romance and marriage with a honey moon vacation destination. Choosing best man and bridesmaids for the wedding and have them do especial interactions, bachelor parties etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I feel odd about this one.
    I think it's more about not abandoning what worked well and was really enjoyable.
    That's why I am feeling nostalgic about it because I want it back.

Better yet, why not take those old features and make them even better.
    I loved the idea of my sims having interests. I loved tweaking them by having them read magazines.
    I loved that their interests came up in conversations and had impact with sims with similar interests.

I loved reading the memories of a new sim invited to move into the households.
    I would even use what happened to them in the past to shape what happens to them going forward.

I loved that my sims could have rivals--other sims who were romantically interested in the same sim they were interested in.

There is a lot of things I like about TS4, but I still find it a boring game that I have to make up for with story telling.
    Too much good stuff from past games that weren't brought forward. For me, some game features should be considered Canon and core to the base game.

There should be new stuff too, but there should be the refinement and evolution of things that make The Sims a great game.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Take a new road please
    My only thing - and I have seen this with other 'nostalgic' packs they've put out, is that people are going to constantly be comparing them, and if there is something that isn't to their standards, users here will whine and complain about how "TS2 did it better!!"
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    I feel like they should have new content. If you get nostalgic over an old game, why not just play it? People abandoned Sims 3 when Sims 4 was released, but I still play both games to this day!

I would actually love to be able to play the original The Sims game. Unfortunately windows 10 does not allow for it to be downloaded, so how can I play it? I played it for 15 years, and only bought Sims 4 because of the windows 10 issue.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Take a new road please
    One thing I want though, is the return of the slacker career.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I do agree with this. And to make that career even better, let non-committal sims enjoy it, since they don't want "regular" jobs. This job was always my go-to for any sim who didn't know what to do with their life :)

I would actually love to be able to play the original The Sims game. Unfortunately windows 10 does not allow for it to be downloaded, so how can I play it? I played it for 15 years, and only bought Sims 4 because of the windows 10 issue.

I've had TS1 work on my Win10. It required some work, but it is doable. You could always check out this thread to see if you can get it installed/get to play it: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/848531/help-getting-the-sims-complete-collection-to-run-on-windows-10/p1

I do wish EAxis would put the complete TS1 collection on Origin, as its a pain with all the CD's, but that's a different discussion alltogether :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2018
    Take a new road please
    Kathykins wrote: »

I do agree with this. And to make that career even better, let non-committal sims enjoy it, since they don't want "regular" jobs. This job was always my go-to for any sim who didn't know what to do with their life :)

I've had TS1 work on my Win10. It required some work, but it is doable. You could always check out this thread to see if you can get it installed/get to play it: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/848531/help-getting-the-sims-complete-collection-to-run-on-windows-10/p1

I do wish EAxis would put the complete TS1 collection on Origin, as its a pain with all the CD's, but that's a different discussion alltogether :)

My daughter-in-law and hubby have Windows 10 pro and have no trouble installing it on their pcs as Pro makes it easier to make old games work. I have home and it will not work on my pc. I did not have much use for the extra's that pro offered so I bought the Home version. I would not have played it all that much anyway - although I love Making Magic and Superstar - the older technologies just bug me too much to get into those older games really for very long. It's too much like playing a mobile game to suit my tastes. LOL. So even if they made it to be able to use the other Windows 10 programs I am not sure if I would really enjoy playing it that much. Things moved too fast for my enjoyment for the most part. Especially vacation time in Sims 1 - things were so expensive and sims was always running from one thing to the other. It was exhausting. Sims 1 definitely could stand for some better time-play feature. Time was not done well in that game to me. Even sims 2 could use a tweak of the time thing - but Sims 1 is the worst. So it does not really bother me not to have Sims 1. It was great for 20 years ago - but not really something I miss very much.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Kathykins wrote: »

That is too much work. I require all old games just to be able to load from discs and work as they always did before.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I do agree with what you said @Writin_Reg. TS1 required a lot of tweaking and fiddling, especially when installing the CD's and also some times when playing. It still does, if you want it installed and running somewhat properly. It is quite fun, though, to be able to play it from time to time. Especially since I haven't really played the Makin' Magic expansion much, since I got it last year from my brother.

TS2 still has a big part of my sim-heart, because of nostalgia of course, but also because it WAS a great game with awesomely in-depth character and game play. TS3 also, the same. I still haven't done everything despite the countless hours I've put into them.

Thing is, humans love nostalgia. We thrive on it. Generally speaking, of course. We love nothing else than to look at the past with rose-tinted glasses, and feel everything was better way back when. Maybe it wasn't, but we like to think it was. The previous games are still attractive, and I don't really mind that they are. If I feel like I miss something they provided, I'll play them. If not, I'll stick to TS4 and the actual great game that it is. I'll miss features from it anyway, while playing earlier games. I'll also miss features from previous games while playing TS4.

Dream come true? All the things we loved from previous iterations incorporated into TS4. Only with less obsessive sims B)
  • KiketasuKiketasu Posts: 5 New Member
    More nostalgic!
    I really like to see new features in the sims. Of course there’s a new generation of gameplay but we have to take a look at the past. Sims 2 and Sims 3 were awesome, so keep going that way, do not trim old features that everyone loves and we miss a lot right now.
  • BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    More nostalgic!
    I've been thinking about this a lot, lately. I'd actually like a little nostalgia/anniversary pack for previous games with like some cas stuff, build/buy stuff and music/radio songs to celebrate ts1 or 2. I loved ts3 but I think 1 and 2 are more nostalgic.

That said, I do miss a lot of the things they left out of 4 that was in previous games like certain careers and interactions. But it doesn't seem like they're interested in throwing them in the game.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • KiketasuKiketasu Posts: 5 New Member
    More nostalgic!
    [quote="BreeNilla;c-16763566"]I've been thinking about this a lot, lately. I'd actually like a little nostalgia/anniversary pack for previous games with like some cas stuff, build/buy stuff and music/radio songs to celebrate ts1 or 2. I loved ts3 but I think 1 and 2 are more nostalgic.

That said, I do miss a lot of the things they left out of 4 that was in previous games like certain careers and interactions. But it doesn't seem like they're interested in throwing them in the game.[/quote]

We need the music in game and Universitary Life!!!!
  • SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    More nostalgic!
    Yes! I want the old stuff all back before they start adding new stuff.
    School buses, newspapers, landline phones (They could make a retro pack) burglars & firemen. I want the go-go dancer cages and the birthday cake the girl jumped out of. There are so many things I want to see remade for The Sims 4. I really want to try out the supernaturals I never got a chance to before too. Zombies, Mermaids & Werewolf's could spice up the game so much!
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3