Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm really missing Sims 2

Comments

• VershnerVershner Posts: 59 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    They can deny it all they want, but sorry.. TS4 failed hard.

:)

The Sims 4 has outsold Sims 2 so it can’t have failed that hard :)

The Sims 3 sold 10 million and we recently were accidentally notified that The Sims 4 has also crossed 10 million.
    However, the games market has increased enormously since 2000, so with TS1 selling 11 million and TS2 selling 13 million, the later games haven't really done that well, in relative terms.

To put that in perspective, TS1 was the best selling PC game of all time in 2002. Neither TS3 or TS4 came anywhere near challenging Minecraft's sales.
    What people forget is, you’ll always be bias to the game that got your obsession started.
    So for lots of legacy players, it’s The Sims 1/2.

For players that started late Sims 2, early Sims 3, it’s usually the Sims 3.

Go on Tumblr, go on Facebook groups, go on Simmers Twitter pages, and majority of it Sims 4.

A whole new generation started with The Sims 4, and that will be the game the defines The Sims for them. And this generation of the Sims, whether people deny it or not, has attracted ALOT of players. The gallery is sheer proof.

A single Sim or House could get over 50k downloads. That’s a lot of downloads for a single item and shows how large the community is.

For example, Tomb Raider players that started playing during the original series, still think the originals are better than the new series. And a lot of them trash the new series even though the new series isn’t bad, it’s just not got everything that classic Tomb Raider has, because it had to take stuff out to add a whole lot of stuff in.

Tomb Raider players that sfarted with the reboot, often criticise the old games for being stuck in the past, and not progressing enough since the orginal.
    This is true, but it's also true that players who played the early games are more likely to have experience of all of them, and have an appreciation of their achievements. Many players who start out with a "reboot" game are not even aware of the original. Even when they have played the older games, going back and playing a game when it's retro doesn't give the same sense of wonder. You can't play The Sims 1 now and marvel at the path-finding or the flexibility of the world, because that's not remarkable now. Just like you couldn't play Quake 1 or Defender of the Crown for the first time today, and marvel at their graphics, but people certainly did at the time.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I never understood why newer computers have difficulty running old games. It is not like I am taking a windows 95 computer and trying to run sims 4 on it. A new computer should be able to run old games real easily. I've had pretty good luck with sims 2 on windows 10. There were a few quirks, but for the most part runs great!

As stated in other threads I have tried to help those who have Windows 10 or an updated Windows 7, MS released a patch in 2015 to disable SafeDisc DRM, because they say after all these years it's vunerable to hackers or virus or whatever. That DRM is on all the old TS2 discs up to H&M stuff pack then it's SecuRom. If someone tries to install their game discs into Windows 7 now, it won't work. No matter how much they try to use the Graphic Rule Maker. Maxis actually did patch out Securom many years ago, though it is in the register it's pretty much defunct and not as invasive in one of the EP later patches. So, if someone installs their discs Securom isn't really all that active anymore. But this didn't stop MS from patching Windows 7 to longer allow Safe Disc and Securom from being used. Which will throw all sorts of errors like the Failed to find DirectX9 etc. Or no adaptor installed etc. Windows 10 has this patch built into the OS and why many will find installing an old game's disc very complicated and won't work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/HOW-TO-PLAY-PC-GAMES-THAT-REQUIRE-SAFEDISC-OR-SECUROM-DRM-ON-WINDOWS-10-8.1-8-7-AND-VISTA/

Hi. Someone reported that SecurRom is 'alive and well' via EA's Sims2: Ultimate Collection. I have refrained from installing it via Origin on my new laptop, as a result.

That was originally the case, but they have removed it from versions that were downloaded AFTER the patch the ties the game to Origin.

Have you checked the Register? One of Maxis pathces actually made it useless (they said it would no longer be as invasive as the version that was in BV) and I have to admit they were right in that patch years ago. But I don't know about Origin, is it still in the Registry? or just no longer spies on everything you do on your pc and internet, and black lists all your programs or apps you install as the version in BV did. ETA: It may have been removed for real by Origin but that's because Origin can do all that (and does) itself.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I'm not even sure what version of windows is on my computer. :( I was all excited and now reading how windows 10 interferes with Sims 2, I think I hear my heart breaking.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Sims 1 and 2 ought to be released on origin. There are a lot of people who would love to play those games.

They’d have to completely rebuild them to work on Windows 10. A lot of people run the Sims 2 on W10, but after a while, it’s unplayable.

I don’t think EA’s is willing to spend money on maintaining Sims 1 & 2, if the sales aren’t very strong.

That said, if you have a Mac, the Mac version works amazing and they fixed a lot of bugs still in the PC game, and I believe they even changed how the game operates to use new tech so that it isn’t relying on compatibility with 2004 software.

EA made it possible to run Sims 2 on Windows 10 with their version ( I had my registered Sims 2 version and EA gave me the Universal one and the update for Window 10... I still had a couple small issues - like it acknowledging my video card and such that I had to work out - so I did have to tinker a bit in the beginning, but it's been fine since. I even run all my old Sims 2 programs like Simpe etc and all my Sims 2 CC works fine.

oh ok good !! that makes me feel better.
    so as long as my sims 2 games are registered, EA will send me the Universal version that is compatible with Win 10??
    did you email EA to ask for it??
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    I loved TS2, but it's kind of hard for any of the following series to compare to the extreme TS1-TS2 jump. When TS2 was announced and released, it was literally like diving into the sims' lives, just the possibility to get real 3D close to them was like an adventure of its own. I don't think we can ever experience such a huuuuge jump.
    [emphasis added]

To be fair, a jump to a VR with motion-sensor input would be even bigger.
    It'd be hard to manage, though. It would seem incomplete as a game-only thing, but TSO didn't work out well because it was a game trying to fit into the virtual world idea.
    It would be a weird balance that I'm not sure could be pulled off.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    so as long as my sims 2 games are registered, EA will send me the Universal version that is compatible with Win 10??

If you have a game code yes, just follow the instructions in the first post https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814708/how-to-get-ts2-ultimate-collection-windows/p1 Some people have also had success on Facebook.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    edited October 2018

I would call them... it's faster for me. :)
    thanks all !! :)
  • leefishleefish Posts: 15 Member
    Definitely call, I had issues getting the UC first time it was up for free.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited October 2018
    It's been a long time I didn't play sims 2. I would like to be back at if my game stopped to crash when I want to use my custom houses.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    So, I was missing Sims 2 and re-installed it the other day. Everything was going fine until the place where you select which neighborhood to play. I saw where I could click on creating a new one; but the premades are missing. I don't see the list where I can choose Veronaville, Pleasantville, Strangetown etc. I thought they would show up when it was time to select which one you wanted, but they are no where to be found. It has been years since I have played Sims 2, maybe I just forgot how to find them.....I just created a new one so I could play.

Where the screen pops up and it says "Choose a neighborhood to play" is missing

I used the same discs I ordered when sims 2 was released.

I don't know what to do. I want to play the Goths, and the Capps ! I miss them.
    edited October 2018
    So, I was missing Sims 2 and re-installed it the other day. Everything was going fine until the place where you select which neighborhood to play. I saw where I could click on creating a new one; but the premades are missing. I don't see the list where I can choose Veronaville, Pleasantville, Strangetown etc. I thought they would show up when it was time to select which one you wanted, but they are no where to be found. It has been years since I have played Sims 2, maybe I just forgot how to find them.....I just created a new one so I could play.

Where the screen pops up and it says "Choose a neighborhood to play" is missing

I used the same discs I ordered when sims 2 was released.

I don't know what to do. I want to play the Goths, and the Capps ! I miss them.

Hi :)

When you start up the game the pre-made neighborhoods should be the first options... (I've removed all but Pleasantview)
    EHPUsjW.jpg

If you're in a neighborhood the options at the top and it will look something like this-
    71Z8xPu.jpg

The option to make a new one is last in the list of neighborhood options.
    This isn't like TS3/4 where you can make copies of the same neighborhood to play differently in the same game. That has to be done differently.

Are there any neighborhood options?
    edited October 2018
    I was confused because like the first photo you posted, it did not show the other neighborhoods. the words "Choose a neighborhood to play" are not there. So, I just created a new one so I could play. But I want to play the premades. They are just not showing up for me to choose one

"When you install Sims2, three neighbourhoods are generated - Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville"

they are not showing up and I installed using the same disc I always used. There is no reason why they wouldn't be showing up. :(

What could be causing that?
    I guess I need to go to the EA folder and move them to another folder????
    @Scorpina2009
    There are a few things to try... first- are the neighborhoods showing in the Neighborhood folder? (Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Neighborhood)

1- Move the Neighborhoods folder to your desktop and start them game. It should generate a new one with all the neighborhoods.
    2- Go your game files in Program files and copy the neighborhoods from there to your Documents (which you moved the neighborhoods folder to your desktop to save any made neighborhoods you want to keep). go to Program files/ EA Games/ The Sims2/ TS Data/ Res/ User Data/ Neighborhoods (N001 - Pleasantview, N002 - Strangetown, N003- Veronaville).
    The others are in their corresponding Expansion.

3. Get the clean versions here - https://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html#cutid1

thank you Rflong ! :) I'll try those. I really appreciate your help.
    thank you Rflong ! :) I'll try those. I really appreciate your help.

I just hope it helps. =]
  • FosoSamFosoSam Posts: 637 Member
    edited October 2018
    I had a similar issue when I freshly installed TS2:UC involving a '™' symbol in the documents file name stopping the game from creating the neighborhood files

However, if you were able to create a custom neighborhood without any issues it looks like you can just copy over fresh premades :P
    q6goV2s.png
    Officially blocked by @SimsVIP on Twitter!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    If you remove the TM as suggested here on the forums, next time the game starts up it will wipe out your game that didn't include the TM in it's title, therefore, your hoods are missing, and the game has over written any TS2 game without the TM in the title of it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If you remove the TM as suggested here on the forums, next time the game starts up it will wipe out your game that didn't include the TM in it's title, therefore, your hoods are missing, and the game has over written any TS2 game without the TM in the title of it.

If you don't have any document folders for the game (wherever it's looking for those files, anyway), the game should generate a new set from its templates.
    Removing the TM symbol essentially just changes the path to the document files.
    q6goV2s.png
    sorry to ask a dumb question, but what is a "TM"?
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Trademark.
    sorry to ask a dumb question, but what is a "TM"?

It's the little symbol that is the letters 'TM', which stands for trademark.
    In some versions of the game the symbol gets used for the folders that the game uses, and on some versions of Windows you can't create folders that use the symbol. So, as a result, with certain combinations of the game and windows, the game is unable to create its files in your documents.

Although, again, that doesn't seem to be the issue that you're experiencing, considering you're able to create a custom neighbourhood.
    q6goV2s.png
    LOL thanks; I should have realized that. :P