Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Honestly I don't think I will buy sims 5 unless their are major improvements but knowing Ea, it probably won't. I'm done buying the same game over and over that has less content then the one before, I'm also over buying the same expansion packs as well. At some point, weather, pets, university etc needs to be a core feature within the game so that way they can come up with different ideas for expansion packs instead giving you the same expansion pack again with minor changes or less content. The sims is the only game that doesn't push beyond boundaries and that's what I think is holding the game back.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Honestly I don't think I will buy sims 5 unless their are major improvements but knowing Ea, it probably won't. I'm done buying the same game over and over that has less content then the one before, I'm also over buying the same expansion packs as well. At some point, weather, pets, university etc needs to be a core feature within the game so that way they can come up with different ideas for expansion packs instead giving you the same expansion pack again with minor changes or less content. The sims is the only game that doesn't push beyond boundaries and that's what I think is holding the game back.

Enjoy paying $120+ for a Sims 5 base game if it includes all that. All those features cost money to produce. And not everyone wants weather or pets or university -- look at the number of people who didn't buy C&D or Seasons. And what would you sacrifice for those features? Sims 4 gave us entertainment venues and the Mixology skill which in Sims 3 was limited to the Late Night EP (which is why we only had the two "professional bars" and a million useless "juice bars", so I wouldn't call that "less content". I don't mind buying packs with old themes if there's a new twist. Sims 3 University Life added the ability for Sims to go to University at anytime of their lives after they aged to YA, rather than being limited to those right out of teenhood. Sims 4 C&D added the active vet career plus clinics where you can take your cats and dogs when they're sick. Since we had the entertainment venues we didn't need a traditional Nightlife/Late Night pack, so they spun off the vampires into their own GP and they might be the best vampires ever in the Sims series -- way better than shoehorning them into a pack like Late Night.

A base game is just that -- a base for future content. It doesn't even have to be paid content either -- you could buy the Sims 4 base and just install mods and CC and play it. You need the Sims themselves (CAS), some sort of personality system (either the points system of Sims 1 and 2 or the traits system of Sims 3/4), skills and interactions, some way for the Sims to make money, the world structure, the UI, and the objects/interactions to support all that. The key is that the base game should feel finished right out of the box. I really didn't consider Sims 4's base game complete until we got toddlers early in 2017. I was fine waiting on pools and ghosts for an extra month (and we got those for free; I was fully expecting the pools to be paid DLC), but a hypothetical Sims 5 base game should have all age stages when the game releases, and fully developed as well; no object babies or teens that feel like mini-adults. If they go with the aspiration system again, I'd like to see teens get their own aspirations -- maybe ones dealing with academic success or popularity.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Me reading this thread like:

1b1.gif

Awesome discussion! Many of you have already said my thoughts so... No need to repeat.

But I will say:
    Sometimes I feel like then next Sims game will not so much be Sims 5 as it will be something so different, that Sims 4 will actually keep going.

^This makes me think of how most Sims 3 players felt about the release of Sims 4... So they kept on playing 3 and it's still going. :blush: With items still currently being purchased from The Store.
    Oh and they're also engaging in the most popular thread on the forum. "What happened in your Sims 3 game today?" :mrgreen: 3000 pages strong!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I've spent so much with TS4 so far, especially due to the currency in my country, that the last thing I wanna hear right now is that it's all already obsolete and I need to start over again buying the same packs to keep my gaming fresh.
    It’s always been like that and the fact the franchise comes with a successor has never stopped anyone from still playing and enjoying the old games with all their additions.
    (apart from the fact they aren’t done yet with Sims 4, even when they’d indeed start developing Sims 5 now)

Yeah, but not quite how I roll, personally. I enjoy the live mode and the expectation of having new tools and stuff to add to the stories I'm telling, and I don't do mods. So, at least for now, my mind is set to think that the long Sims 4 endure the better. Which results in: the bigger Sims 4 gets, less inclined I'll be to build sims 5 from the scratch again.

One day these mechanics will inevitably get old, though. By then I guess we might already be in the next generation of games and the feeling will be of wanting to taste the new goods. We're not there yet.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    Me reading this thread like:

1b1.gif

Awesome discussion! Many of you have already said my thoughts so... No need to repeat.

But I will say:
    Sometimes I feel like then next Sims game will not so much be Sims 5 as it will be something so different, that Sims 4 will actually keep going.

^This makes me think of how most Sims 3 players felt about the release of Sims 4... So they kept on playing 3 and it's still going. :blush: With items still currently being purchased from The Store.
    Oh and they're also engaging in the most popular thread on the forum. "What happened in your Sims 3 game today?" :mrgreen: 3000 pages strong!

Sometimes I wish official content was still being created for the Sims 3 store. Lots of cc and mods available though and with 3 completed no need to worry about mod updates.

• Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited October 2018
    I've spent so much with TS4 so far, especially due to the currency in my country, that the last thing I wanna hear right now is that it's all already obsolete and I need to start over again buying the same packs to keep my gaming fresh.
    It’s always been like that and the fact the franchise comes with a successor has never stopped anyone from still playing and enjoying the old games with all their additions.
    (apart from the fact they aren’t done yet with Sims 4, even when they’d indeed start developing Sims 5 now)

Yeah, but not quite how I roll, personally. I enjoy the live mode and the expectation of having new tools and stuff to add to the stories I'm telling, and I don't do mods. So, at least for now, my mind is set to think that the long Sims 4 endure the better. Which results in: the bigger Sims 4 gets, less inclined I'll be to build sims 5 from the scratch again.

One day these mechanics will inevitably get old, though. By then I guess we might already be in the next generation of games and the feeling will be of wanting to taste the new goods. We're not there yet.

The Sims is a bit a crappy game from that perspective - pile money into one game, then it ends and you start all over again, paying more money for the same content you had before. Not many games operate like that, but I think The Sims would struggle without DLC.

And although the lack of content was more stark in TS4 base game, I think it's fair to say that TS3 was lacking many things TS2 had as well, so in some aspects it does feel like each new generation has missed something from the previous games (I think TS3 has an insane amount of content but there are various gameplay features that were never adopted from TS2).
  • Options
    Sims4catSims4cat Posts: 2 New Member
    Ok so maybe this is because it was the first sims game I played but I love TS4! We did get toddlers and pools and seasons. I don't want Sims 5 because

1. I don't want to spend more money 😉
    2. I'm happy the sims 4 - mostly cos of graphics
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2018
    Sequels exist in gaming because systems get old and so does technology. I know change can be hard for people. Believe me there are plenty of people that weren't and still to this day weren't ready to move on with the Sims 3. The same will be true with the Sims 4, there will always be people that will forever prefer this iteration to other ones. I'm the same way with the Sims 2. But seeing that how the Sims 1 doesn't run on Windows 10 unless with illegal workarounds, I see why there is a need to move on with technology with the Sims game. I actually joined forums in fear that there would never be a Sims 5, so I'm all for the series continuing. I think the most challenging part for the Sims 4 is that it is so focused on having the newest graphics and technology as its main strength verses past games, that it will be an easy transition for some people to move on and that is what people are scared of is how easily replaceable Sims 4 will be. We don't know what the Sims 5 will hold out gamewise but I can honestly seeing it being replacing newer coding and graphics easily. Also people don't realize that old coding causes intense security issues. It is a struggle in sites like Gaiaonline that are going through right now that haven't replaced their coding in over 10 years. 10 year old coding becomes outdated much faster than it has in the past especially with how often people replace cell phones these days on a yearly or less basis. I mean it has been only what 3 months since the last Sims 4 pack and customers are already complaining about not getting new content. Sims 4 graphics are already getting outdated even 3 years after release to what most games offer in the market. There is so much newer technology out there like procedural generation and facial recognition software that is just being used in the norm of gaming now that the Sims franchise could add to their games. Plus like the Sims 3, only took 3 years that Simmers started complaining about DLC slowing their computers down. How much more money and space on a computer are Simmers willing to shell out to complete the Sims 4 game for them? There has to be a stopping point somewhere. After awhile it will become taxing not only on the Simmer's wallet, but their computer as well. My only wish is that the Sims 5 base better be a whole lot better than the Sims 4 one because even that base, I know game changers were not happy about.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Scobre Well said :smile: TS4 was dated pretty much from the start and as time goes on adding new packs here and there would do nothing to bring the game forward. Time to move on now
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    PRINCESSReyPRINCESSRey Posts: 403 Member
    While I don't play Sims 4 I love Sims mobile, Sims Freeplay and The Sims 3 Legacy edition with all the things going on in this world perhaps we should count our blessings with everything thats going on in the world at least we still have sim games most popular games that were in the past aren't available or cost a fortune. At least Sims is still here.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »

The Sims is a bit a plum game from that perspective - pile money into one game, then it ends and you start all over again, paying more money for the same content you had before. Not many games operate like that, but I think The Sims would struggle without DLC.

And although the lack of content was more stark in TS4 base game, I think it's fair to say that TS3 was lacking many things TS2 had as well, so in some aspects it does feel like each new generation has missed something from the previous games (I think TS3 has an insane amount of content but there are various gameplay features that were never adopted from TS2).
    I don’t think different Sims versions should copy everything from previous versions. That’s why I personally wouldn’t mind having to buy DLC all over again, if I’d love the basegame. That basegame should be solid and strong though, I think they really sort of forgot that principle (for both 3 and 4; Sims 3’s basegame obviously lacked basic family play and Sims 4’s basegame lacked even more).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited October 2018
    I had posted elsewhere and in the past that I didn't think there would be a TS 5 because since the concept is getting close to 20 years old it seemed a great time to "call it a day"-- I have re-thought those posts because in truth, as with the movie business, (The famed Rocky series, Star trek, Star Wars to name just three) they'll keep churning these out as long as the market will bear it.

However a base is a base, a foundation, if you will, and for those inclined to keep on with Sims, it'll be a little bit of a jolt to go back to what will be "square one". Anything you build needs a foundation, they will always withhold some nicer content for later sales as expansions because this is, first and foremost, a business. Keep in mind this all goes with the territory so patience is indicated especially for grizzled, veteran Simmers.

Also I tend to think EA will want to stick to their core wishes for Sims-- that being rated "T" and aimed primarily (though certainly not exclusively) at that age group and in general, as that audience isn't as financially able to invest a bunch of loot in a gaming rig. With that in mind, while "5" would certainly need a "WOW factor", the game engine will still likely remain one which can be handled by "ordinary" computer equipment. Fully updated with some goodies like a decent GPU, but a regular machine all the same. Again, don't expect too much out of the gate.

Having said all that, I'm one who is getting close to having had my fill of the whole thing and moving on without sampling any TS 5, but I'm equally sure there will be new faces to replace me who will love the Life Simulation Game concept.

Best of luck to them! It was (and still is for a bit longer anyway) a fun ride.

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Aggressive cancer in my lymph nodes in my lungs airways here. On chemo 4 days every 3 weeks.

Hoping you beat the "Big C" back, pummel it senseless and win. When it all boils down to it, we're all Simmers...and we should pull for each other when one's in need. Sending well-wishes. @Writin_Reg.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    In other words, it's time we all started saving for a new gaming PC.

~sigh~ sounds about right. Looks like I may have to look at my gaming/video/photo-editing requirements and see where I have to tweak them so I can get TS5 to run properly.

As Bill the Cat said...

Bill-The-Cat-ack.jpg

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I am ready for Sims 5 because TS3 and TS4 have not held my interest.

The other reason I am ready for a new series is that I will have enough time to start saving up for a better laptop than I have right now. I live on a limited disability income and can't drop $700-$1,000 on a laptop without knowing how far in advance I need to start saving up my money. Desktops are not an option for me anymore because I just don't have the space for one currently.

I was going to start saving for an even better laptop than the one I HAD to replace last month due to a battery issue. That laptop was a Dell XPS laptop that ran every game like a gaming laptop (according to Origin at the time, I racked up 1400 hours playing Sims 2 in 3 MONTHS alone). I was NOT HAPPY when I got the news that I would have to send it back for up to 4 weeks to see what the problem was causing the battery not to charge, which pretty much caused me to spend nearly $600 at the last minute. I REALLY wanted to keep that one for as long as possible (probably up to a year after Sims 5 came out so I would know exactly what specs I needed to ask for).

As far as gaming goes for me currently, I have Sims 2-4 loaded on this laptop but S2 is the only one I play (although not at the best settings because of the video card) because that's always been my favorite version. So, for me to actually purchase TS5 base game whenever it comes out, it will have to run on specs I can afford and have features I enjoy playing. This is why I went back to TS2 because it has what I am missing in the current series.

I just hope the future game will live up to the standards the first 2 versions of the game held. Those were the best in the series. I will just have to wait and find out.
  • Options
    swetildeswetilde Posts: 21 Member
    I don't like to admit it but sims 4 was a bit of a flop to me. the sims 3 would always impress me with its new contents but the sims 4... not so much.
    I remember watching the trailers for ts3 and I would fangirl so hard... like I wept watching those. It was something about it that was so special to me and ever since the beginning of the sims 4 I haven't felt that ONCE. With the new expansion Get Famous coming out I honestly couldn't care less. I truly believe that the producers and creators put all their time and effort into making these but we're not getting anywhere. Maybe that's just me but I still feel like I speak for a lot of simmers.
    Now with the Sims 5 being somewhat confirmed I'm hoping and praying that we will get something new. Like a brand new experience, although that might be tricky to achieve considering the sims follows the same "theme" (you know, play with life... etc).
    For ts5 a feel like they need to completely reboot the entire thing, start from scratch. Ts4 is fun and all but I still prefer Sims 3. Not necessarily the graphics but definitely the gameplay, the feeling you get... simply everything about the sims 3 is good to me and I would honestly not mind if they started making ts3 games again hehe.

For the Sims 5, I want a new experience. A new game. But still staying sims, of course.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Maybe that's just me but I still feel like I speak for a lot of simmers.
    ^@swetilde It's not just you...and yes, you speak for many of us. :blush:

I totally fangirled over the Sims 3 trailers too! I was like, "Open World! WOW! :astonished: Those public buildings...Holy WOW!"

Just a thought I had:

So, with all these first person view, open world games out there now (Example: GTA, Final Fantasy 15), I feel like if they went that way with The Sims 5 it would be super rad! :smiley: Still have the build and buy mode of COURSE but having that first person, open world view when visiting community lots, conversing with townies, and exploring the world collecting items would just be SO cool!!

But no loot boxes, micro transactions, or any of that jazz....no no please NO EA!!! :confounded: That will ruin the franchise! And it will be an immediate turn off from me (and thousands of others) to buy the game!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    YBNS2468YBNS2468 Posts: 240 Member
    Well said. Exactly what i'm thinking!!
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    I want The Sims 5, but only it it takes what I liked about The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 and improve on them and fix the negatives. I wouldn't mind TS4 Sims, but I would like them to pump up the details of them. (no hexagonal thighs, irises with no details, etc)
    I would really like an open world remaster of the Sims 2.
    The worlds don't need to be as huge as the were in TS3. I am still amazed at how big the towns are. I would be happy with sections of towns with 15 to 20 lots, but still open with no loading screens for lots within the district. If you go to another district, you get a loading screen.

And I want to edit my towns and place lots where I want.

This my dream game! <3 I would go all out if they made a Sims game like this. I would get a top running PC. I would preorder the packs.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »
    I’m gonna offer the advice a lot of you TS4 lovers gave a few years ago; don’t buy it.

You are not forced to play another sims game. You like 4? Play that

Me? I can’t WAIT for 5.

Opinions are great aren’t they? EA are gonna do what they wanna do and none of us are gonna change that.

—T

Not see you on here for a while but I will add and say 'if you don't like it, don't buy it!'

I hate when simmers say that! LOL Though I get the irony, but I still hate it. It is so rude! :s LOL <3<3<3
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Sjofn wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I agree. I am not ready for Sims 5 right now. I am not looking forward to buying these same packs all over again. I just got into the groove of the packs we have now. Imagine waiting another 4 years for Seasons and Pets. Absolutely absurd.

But you have the Sims 2 and Sims 3 players who are ready for a new title.

I have my doubts they actually are. And I wouldn't blame Maxis for having its doubts on that either.

Nope we are ready for a new title

Indeed! I'm ready!
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2018
    The sad part is that I DO like Sims 4.

I just don't like bugs that clog up to-do lists, or packs created for the obvious purpose of taking advantage of loyal customers.

But let's stay nice here. After all, if you don't like it, don't- oh. Well it is a pretty effective point, it's just that it gets real old, real fast and "How am I supposed to know if I'll like it if I don't buy it?" Sims 5 won't be for AT LEAST three years now, so the point of Sims 5 is entirely moot.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    The sad part is that I DO like Sims 4.

I just don't like bugs that clog up to-do lists, or packs created for the obvious purpose of taking advantage of loyal customers.

But let's stay nice here. After all, if you don't like it, don't- oh. Well it is a pretty effective point, it's just that it gets real old, real fast and "How am I supposed to know if I'll like it if I don't buy it?" Sims 5 won't be for AT LEAST three years now, so the point of Sims 5 is entirely moot.

I'm sorry @Loanet . :( Well, at least you have 3 to 4 more years of TS4. Hopefully things will be better by then. It is just a matter of waiting. Waiting would be easier if they share more info on upcoming packs, and projects for the game. I just hate how slow EPs are being released, the lack of info on upcoming packs, and how they are releasing packs with less content.

But again, there will be 3 more years or so of TS4. I wish TS2 lasted that long. lol
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2018
    Personally I think they say "Three years" because a new engine takes about that long to make. However first they have to get a team and the team has to get their ideas together - the budget, the engine, and what they can and cannot do with it. And that's if EA is actually even doing that yet. New engines are COMPLICATED.

Do you really want to buy Sims 5 just to find out it's Sims 4.1, which is not actually an advance to Sims 5 but what Sims 4 should have been on release?

And to people who say they think they will get weather of any kind with base game... well, EA's never done it before, why would they do it now? This time even Aliens didn't make base game. They came in Get To Work and remain there. And no, it has nothing to do with "EA don't have the money". More like "EA does have the money and wants more."

Regardless, these kinds of games frequently take longer than expected to make - and EA are clearly in no rush. Games can even be cancelled - EA could turn around tomorrow and say "Okay, we've changed our minds. We're thinking more like ten years. In the meantime just keep up the Packs."
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    So, with all these first person view, open world games out there now (Example: GTA, Final Fantasy 15), I feel like if they went that way with The Sims 5 it would be super rad! :smiley: Still have the build and buy mode of COURSE but having that first person, open world view when visiting community lots, conversing with townies, and exploring the world collecting items would just be SO cool!!

That would definitely set a Sims 5 game apart from the others.
    I like the idea, but only if you could go back to the traditional overhead view if you wanted. Playing a full house from a first person perspective could be difficult.