Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm really missing Sims 2

Comments

• MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Sims 1 and 2 ought to be released on origin. There are a lot of people who would love to play those games.

If you've bought it previously, it is. I bought it ages ago, back before there was any push to make people think of buying digital copies as being analogous to buying physical copies. I didn't play it all that much, but ended up attempting to play it after reloading my computer, but that was just after the download period expired. (I think it was two years.)
    Now, however, the record of that purchase lets me download it from Origin.

(Side note: That later inability to install the game I'd already purchased kept me from buying digital copies of a lot of things for quite a few years. If not for that, I would have adopted e-books much earlier than I did. As it was, I wasn't really thinking of things purchased in digital format as things I'd actually bought-- they were just things that I'd pay for and then not be able to access later. Digital purchases are convenient, but they don't make sense without an expectation of consistent access.)

It was pretty cool to sign into origin and realize that I could again access Sims 2.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I never had the gift to enjoy Sims 2 during it's prime, and I unfortunately don't have the gift to play it today, I do own the Ultimate Collection, but no matter what I've done to try and fix the game it just won't run. *Sad Face*
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    > @EricasFreePlay said:
    > I have heard that the game doesn't like Windows 10, if that's the operating system you use. Of course, it could also be the video card that's unsupported (my problem now). I might be making a trip back to Best Buy to see if they can update my video card or the drivers to see if it's possible to run the game.

If the video card is your issue I might know how to solve it. Is it because the game can't detect your video card? I had a similar issue with medieval and managed to update the SGR files to support my graphics card on Windows 10. The game wouldn't work before till I added my chip to the supported list.

If you have the same issue I can help. I might even try to redownload sims 2 to confirm if the solution is the same.

Tried that. Didn't work.

• TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    As much as I loved TS2 including all the packs, OFB being my second all time favourite after Makin' Magic, I haven't installed or played it since TS3 was released. I have lots of happy memories of the game and the TS2 community at that time, and I still have all the disks and would never get rid of any of them any more than I would get rid of family photos. I doubt I'll ever try reinstalling and playing it again. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    I've moved this to The Sims 2 General Discussion. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I loved TS2, but it's kind of hard for any of the following series to compare to the extreme TS1-TS2 jump. When TS2 was announced and released, it was literally like diving into the sims' lives, just the possibility to get real 3D close to them was like an adventure of its own. I don't think we can ever experience such a huuuuge jump.

I did grab a copy of the full TS2 file when it was offered, but I have not yet restored my old Simmerville Hood save. I have a tower of cd's packed with cc, both downloaded and that I created myself - but I no longer remember where those cd's are stored, :smiley: . Some day I will check out TS2 again, but I also loved TS3 and am now also liking TS4, and my days are only so and so long...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The sims 2 can run on windows 10. As @Writin_Reg says there have been a few patches in the past eighteen months or so to help it, I understand that some people have trouble running it but to say that it doesn't run at all generally speaking is just false.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    This thread made me load up my Sims 2 game. I played last night and this morning. I've been enjoying it, and I'm starting to remember things I'd forgotten.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I remember being so sad that TS2 didn't look like the Makin' Magic preview. It just wasn't a fun looking as that first video.

I bet TS4 sold more than TS2. In 2004 there weren't as many personal computers/laptops as they are now~ They're more affordable. Plus, it's less of a stigma to be a "Gamer" and play the Sims. :lol:
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I keep Sims 2 -3 and 4 on my pc ready to play when ever I feel like it. It does take me a few minutes to gather my brain at what I was doing last in the game most times - but it's fun to go back every few weeks and play those ongoing games too. Sims 2 I have 4 legacies going and all three college have 8 sims attending at each of them.

Sims 3 I have 10 different games going in 10 different worlds.

I mostly play Sims 4 though but visit 2 and 3 about about once or twice every 5 or 6 weeks.

I would like to add that I also have kept Sims3 installed on my game. I still have the disks. I also have the disks for Sims2, however, I lent the base game disk to my then daughter-in-law who was living with us while our son was in Iraq and my little grandson managed to destroy it. Happily, the very first time I trusted using a DL pack was with a Sims2 Holiday pack that came out. I didn't wish to wait, had no functioning car of my own at the time, so, I purchased it online. This was a good thing for me. I was invited years later to download Sims2: Ultimate Collection. I've gone back and played it here and there, most particularly while I awaited the release of Sims4, trying to reorient myself to the loading screens again. There's a great deal I have forgotten on how to play it. LOL and it can be very confusing going back and forth. So, mostly, I stick with Sims 4, which I am enjoying. (I use mods and that helps.)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I know I bought at least two full sets of Sims 2 (one for me and one for my daughter)... and I think I had to rebuy the last expansion again for me because the disk got damaged in my home. I never got patches for it. I didn't do anything online with it at all. Not even register it.. Maybe if I contact EA and give them all my codes I can get a complete patched version?
    egTcBMc.png
    I know I bought at least two full sets of Sims 2 (one for me and one for my daughter)... and I think I had to rebuy the last expansion again for me because the disk got damaged in my home. I never got patches for it. I didn't do anything online with it at all. Not even register it.. Maybe if I contact EA and give them all my codes I can get a complete patched version?

Sure! Might as well try- even if you have to try several times. :mrgreen:
    EA Customer service or their Twitter/Facebook. :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Well you don't make that sound very easy lol...
    egTcBMc.png
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

Lol It actually is easy. 99% of people with disks get it the first try. A couple people have cranky reps ( who I guess are sick of people asking for it :D ) say there are no more codes and blow them off, but it has never taken anyone with a code more then twice to get it, and the twice is rare. Now if you didn't have a code, it is a toss up trying to get a rep to just put it in your account, but some of them are still nice enough to do that also. :)
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I never understood why newer computers have difficulty running old games. It is not like I am taking a windows 95 computer and trying to run sims 4 on it. A new computer should be able to run old games real easily. I've had pretty good luck with sims 2 on windows 10. There were a few quirks, but for the most part runs great!
    The sims 2 can run on windows 10. As @Writin_Reg says there have been a few patches in the past eighteen months or so to help it, I understand that some people have trouble running it but to say that it doesn't run at all generally speaking is just false.

Here is the full error message I am getting. "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." This is what I get EVERY TIME I TRY to load the game. I am NOT lying.
    edited September 2018
    Finally fixed my problem. Running it in Full Screen due to a fix I found here (Part 4) http://simscommunity.info/social/threads/sims-2-ultimate-collection-resolution-graphics-fix.4081/
    Post edited by EricasFreePlay on
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Here is the full error message I am getting. "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate." This is what I get EVERY TIME I TRY to load the game. I am NOT lying.
    Never said you were lying. I’m saying generally speaking it’s completely inaccurate to say sims 2 does not work on windows 10. You never said that.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I never understood why newer computers have difficulty running old games. It is not like I am taking a windows 95 computer and trying to run sims 4 on it. A new computer should be able to run old games real easily. I've had pretty good luck with sims 2 on windows 10. There were a few quirks, but for the most part runs great!

Because the games are designed to work on older technology.

One example of what can happen that makes it fairly obvious how games can have problems when running on newer software.

Kings Quest IV (or at least I'm pretty sure it's the IVth one XD) had a step where you had to light a stick of dynamite in one area and walk to another area to blow something up and there was a timer. The timer wasn't set to the clock however, but to the processor cycling. Newer processors cycle much much much faster on a Windows XP computer than on the one the game was originally designed for. You'd pick up the dynamite light it, take one literal step in game and blow up. Luckily, the game spawns you back where you died, but it took me a good 30 minutes if not longer to do that step when it should have only taken me about 10-15 seconds to do.

Also computers change bits from time to time. Systems started out at 16 bit. Then 32 bit. Then 64 bit. We'll one day likely hit 128 bit systems. And you have to program in backwards compatability. 64 bit software doesn't run 32 bit software unless it's got an emulator in it. It's why you have to choose 32 or 64 bit for Windows XP and Windows 7 downloads.

It mostly comes down to the games and installers not being programmed for newer OS code and/or newer technology, especially graphics cards.

The older a game is the more likely there will be issues installing and/or playing it.
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I think I am going to reinstall my Sims 2 cds this weekend. The more I think about it, the more I miss it.

Doesn't Origin have a digital copy of TS2 and all expansion packs? You can get it by contacting tech support and giving them your code for the sims 2 base game and they will make it available in your origin account? It is updated and does not require a disk to play, it also includes all the expansion packs. I did that when my TS2 game would not work on my computer.

I really wish they would do the same thing for The Sims original game, I had bought that version again but it is just too outdated to work without being converted to digital.

Hermitgirl wrote: »

Sorry. I thought I made it look enthusiastic and hopeful. :cookie:
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Still playing and loving it, both on Win 10 & XP (different machines, one of them probably older than some current simmers). Win 10 was cranky at first, but thanks to the info in the forums here and ideas from posters it's running quite well. Yes, having the code from my disks helped a lot when getting UC. What I do miss, is the previously mentioned TS2 website. It was a fantastic place to go, belonged as much (maybe more) to the players as to the company. Stories, videos, links to fan sites and CC/mods, galleries, forums, all sorts of things that made it feel like TS2 was a family thing - warm, comfy, and cozy. It was a different world back then.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

As stated in other threads I have tried to help those who have Windows 10 or an updated Windows 7, MS released a patch in 2015 to disable SafeDisc DRM, because they say after all these years it's vunerable to hackers or virus or whatever. That DRM is on all the old TS2 discs up to H&M stuff pack then it's SecuRom. If someone tries to install their game discs into Windows 7 now, it won't work. No matter how much they try to use the Graphic Rule Maker. Maxis actually did patch out Securom many years ago, though it is in the register it's pretty much defunct and not as invasive in one of the EP later patches. So, if someone installs their discs Securom isn't really all that active anymore. But this didn't stop MS from patching Windows 7 to longer allow Safe Disc and Securom from being used. Which will throw all sorts of errors like the Failed to find DirectX9 etc. Or no adaptor installed etc. Windows 10 has this patch built into the OS and why many will find installing an old game's disc very complicated and won't work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/HOW-TO-PLAY-PC-GAMES-THAT-REQUIRE-SAFEDISC-OR-SECUROM-DRM-ON-WINDOWS-10-8.1-8-7-AND-VISTA/
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

As stated in other threads I have tried to help those who have Windows 10 or an updated Windows 7, MS released a patch in 2015 to disable SafeDisc DRM, because they say after all these years it's vunerable to hackers or virus or whatever. That DRM is on all the old TS2 discs up to H&M stuff pack then it's SecuRom. If someone tries to install their game discs into Windows 7 now, it won't work. No matter how much they try to use the Graphic Rule Maker. Maxis actually did patch out Securom many years ago, though it is in the register it's pretty much defunct and not as invasive in one of the EP later patches. So, if someone installs their discs Securom isn't really all that active anymore. But this didn't stop MS from patching Windows 7 to longer allow Safe Disc and Securom from being used. Which will throw all sorts of errors like the Failed to find DirectX9 etc. Or no adaptor installed etc. Windows 10 has this patch built into the OS and why many will find installing an old game's disc very complicated and won't work.

https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/HOW-TO-PLAY-PC-GAMES-THAT-REQUIRE-SAFEDISC-OR-SECUROM-DRM-ON-WINDOWS-10-8.1-8-7-AND-VISTA/

Hi. Someone reported that SecurRom is 'alive and well' via EA's Sims2: Ultimate Collection. I have refrained from installing it via Origin on my new laptop, as a result.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Hi. Someone reported that SecurRom is 'alive and well' via EA's Sims2: Ultimate Collection. I have refrained from installing it via Origin on my new laptop, as a result.

That was originally the case, but they have removed it from versions that were downloaded AFTER the patch the ties the game to Origin.