Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which camera style do you use?

2...Next

Comments

• TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    Sims 3 style camera controls
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    As a long time sims player I was so used to the old controls, I'm happy I can still use them. I don't understand why they needed to invent a new kind of controls.

Same for me really. Kudos though to the devs for thinking about us long term players and including the option to use the older style of controls; in another timeline they may not have been that thoughtful and forced us to use the new style. I'm glad they didn't. :smiley:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Why y'all talking about the Sims 3 controls like that like as if The Sims 2 didn't have the same thing (which I'm pretty sure it did, cuz that's how the S3 controls in S4 were so natural for me even tho I didn't play S3). :grimace:

This must be why I took to it so easily... I hadn't played 2 for at least a year (or more) before 4 came out. It doesn't work on my computer now so I have no way to compare.
    egTcBMc.png
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    Sims 4 default camera controls
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Why y'all talking about the Sims 3 controls like that like as if The Sims 2 didn't have the same thing (which I'm pretty sure it did, cuz that's how the S3 controls in S4 were so natural for me even tho I didn't play S3). :grimace:

This must be why I took to it so easily... I hadn't played 2 for at least a year (or more) before 4 came out. It doesn't work on my computer now so I have no way to compare.

I jumped in right from TS2. I wonder if the controls really are the same, because every time I've tried them I've truly struggled. Of course it could be that I just picked TS4 controls so quick and forgot the old ones.
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    Maybe I usually play ATC, I feel sims 3 style is handy for me.
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I had a play around with some of my games settings and decided to give the Sims 4 camera style another try, by which I mean how you control the camera with the mouse; I just can't get on with it so quickly switched back the option for Sims 3 camera style. I'm so used to the way the mouse works in Sims 3 and previous iterations that to change it to Sims 4 style is just too much of a wrench for me. Which style of camera control do you use?

I don't even remember how to use the Sims 3 camera stuff! lol I will use it when I want an object tilted a certain way but 99.9% of the time I use the Sims 4 camera stuff.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I cannot stand the sims 4 style camera. I got used to the sims 3 style back in my days of playing rollercoaster tycoon 3 which is quite similar to sims 2/3. I placed RCT3 before Sims3. Sims2 is similar but the mouse wheel click is inverted; a little annoying but manageable. To me, rolling/pressing in the mouse wheel is the universal way to control the camera. The right click should immediately move the camera left, right, up, or down (or may be used as secondary click, depending on the situation). I believe if you find something that works, keep it!
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I use Sims 3 controls mostly. For building and decorating I use Sims 3 controls and occasionally I switch to Sims 4 controls for play mode but mostly I even play there with Sims 3 controls. I like being able to tilt the camera up and down and freely rotate. Not a huge fan of the fixed angle you get with Sims 4 controls.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I never tried the Sims 3 style. I think I have to catch up on it.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    I use both. Sims 3 camera when I'm in build and Sims 4 camera when I am in live mode most of the time.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the basic controls are the same. Right click and moving your mouse to slowly move around (or use edge scrolling), middle mouse click to angle the camera or rotate which is something you cannot do easily on the S4 mode and that's why I hate it. It's not very good for people who take screenshots for their stories and stuff. :joy:

I remember the first time I opened the S4 mode, everything was backwards. It freaked me out. LOL. Right click just jumps you to the spot (if I'm remembering this correctly) and it drove me crazy. Haha.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    When I first started ts4 I didn't realize there was an option to change back to ts3 camera or I probably would have right away....now I'm used to it so I've just continued using default
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I do a lot of designing and building so I use TS3 camera controls. It is just like my landscape design program I use for work so it is easy for me.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    I think I switched to ts3 controls immediately or after no more than 5 minutes. I was used to them.
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    I think I used TS4's camera for about five minutes before switching to the TS3 one.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I figured TS3 controls today and they really aren't that much different at all. It's harder to be a sim's eye level and it has Z and X key zooming, but that's it, mostly. I think I can use both interchangably now.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I would use the TS3 camera if we still had the arrow buttons for tilting the camera up and down. Using the mouse wheel is too exhausting for me. The TS4 camera is ok, I just wish it would show more of the world.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited September 2018
    I quickly switched to the TS3 controls after giving the TS4 version a brief test-drive. In part, I was just used to the TS3 system after playing the previous games, but I was also not happy that the TS4 controls don't let you change the tilt of the camera.

I'm not very fond of using the mouse wheel as a button myself, but there's an alternative with the TS3 scheme that works really well for me. I don't use edge-scrolling either, choosing to hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse to move the camera around. Then to spin and tilt, simply hold down the CTRL button on the keyboard and use the same right-mouse drag. The movement changes from panning the camera to spinning/tilting it. This seems very intuitive to me. (I also use 'Invert Vertical Rotation,' -- but as any of this, that's another purely personal choice.) YMMV, of course.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I gave them both a test drive, and even though I've never played TS3, it seemed more familiar and easier to use than TS4 camera. I haven't played the TS2 in quite awhile so my memories of that camera are vague at most, but I have a feeling its camera was closer to TS3 than TS4 is why it works the best for me.
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I can't get used to the Sims 4 controls lol I think I might have to because my mouse wheel is starting to give me issues so i might have to buckle down and use those controls...
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I chose Sims 3 style, it is easier to use than Sims 4 style.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sim2SporeSim2Spore Posts: 284 Member
    Sims 3 Style for sure
    I exclusively use arrow keys/WASD and right/middle mouse button for rotation in games, so the Sims 4 controls were too clunky for me. (Never been a fan of the click+drag style in God games.)
  • KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    I can maneuver the TS3 camera MUCH better on my laptop.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Sims 4. If I need to tilt for screenshots I just use tab.
  • SimnoobsieSimnoobsie Posts: 26 Member
    I never played TS3 so I just use TS4 which took some getting used to as it was since I was used to playing RPG's with real 360 views. I tried to use TS3 camera and I just could not get the hang of it and went back to TS4.
    Find me on Instgram @simnoobsie for all of my builds.
    For full, inside/out images of my builds go to Imgur. User name Simnoobsie