Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking for a roofing tutorial for dummies

ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
So I have always been absolutely terrible at roofs in Sims 2 :s I pretty much always relied on the autoroof tool... But it's high time I learned how to do nice roofs myself. Can anyone recommend any good basic tutorials? What I am mainly looking for are tutorials that are about making sure the roofs that are not on the top floor don't interfere with internal rooms.

To illustrate my point: this is a house that was build for Sims 3 that I would like to re-make in my game. It has 3 floors, but a lot of the top floor is covered with a roof. I can achieve a similar visual effect(still not perfect), but only with the pieces of the roof clipping inside the rooms so obviously there is less "useful" space there... I know that I can use the special pieces that came with M&G, but I don't like the fact that I can't see behind them

A lot of the tutorials that I've found that sound like they would be perfect for me are no longer online :( So if anyone knows of any that are still up or is good at making roofs, please share your sacred knowledge o:)

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Mikeinside had some good tutorials. But I just want to point out the roof on the tower may bleed into the room if you don't put tile on floor first. And after FT, BV and especially M&G something about roofs were changed and may bleed into a room no matter how hard you try to get it right. It's a problem with M&G to the best of my knowledge, as I have built in this game for sixteen years and saw things change with that SP. It is one reason I never wanted to ever reinstall it again, but TS2UC has it and it is extremely annoying.

Using the tool to change the height of roofs can help sometimes with your roof bleeding into a room, but not always. You just have to experiement with what works now and what doesn't. But not adding tile before placing a roof like on that top tower floor is one reason.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    edited September 2018
    i remember making a Victorian in sims 2, if I recall correctly I don't think I had that much trouble with the roof. It has been while since I've done a build in sims 2 though so I shall go give it a go and report back with my findings.

Edit:

okay I made a small Victorian on a 20x20 and this is what I discovered the half-hipped roof isn't a problem( which I think is the name of the roof type you'll be using)...yes it will clip through if you have to drag it into the house (which you will if you want it to look connected) but you'll only see the clip through if you have the walls completely up and it doesn't keep you from putting things there for the sims to use, you'll just have to delete the single wall it creates first. To get the roof to line up with the wall you'll just have to adjust the roof height and I found that 68 was perfect.

The octagonal roof isn't too tricky either you'll just want to place it one square away from where you actually want it otherwise it'll have quite the over hang.

The dormers however, will be extremely tricky I tried adding some to mine but I just didn't like it. They were the same height as the normal wall so they were even with the roof and I just didn't like it but my Victorian could just be too small to make them work. You'll just have to play around with yours and see.

hope this helps :D

Post edited by cmbaker16 on
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I've been doing a lot of Victorian builds the past few months and the only clipping I've had is the greenhouse/conservatory roof cutting into a bathroom. Admittedly have not done one as complex as your example. Agree with Cinebar that Mikeinside has great tutorials, but finding them can be tricky. There is a link to one of his on basements in the terrain topic here, but I don't know if that will connect to his other ones. Do you have a floor plan to share? With that I could give it a go and let you know the results.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Have done another look at your posted photos, including the extra ones with the floor by floor layouts. By Victorian standards the 3rd floor is too dark, having only the 3 dormers. I suggest that for a TS2 build, if you have Mansion & Garden, is to use the 2nd Empire roof provided (I think they call it 'way too steep' or some such), which has two types of windows - rectangular and round. This will enlarge available space, provide more light, and may well resolve clipping issues. The top of that can be either flat using a dark tile or minimum angle hipped. As already mentioned, the half hipped should do just fine for the porches.
  • ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
    Hi guys!

First of all, sorry that it took me some time to respond - somehow I didn't get the notification emails and real life took over enough for me to forget about this.

And I really do appreciate all of your input :) I have come across links to Mike Inside's pages before, but it seems that they are all gone now as far as I can see, but if someone knows of a backup somewhere - please let me know!

I have the Ultimate Collection, so it could indeed be the M&G issue @Cinebar has mentioned...

I tried to get as close to the original pictures as possible, experimented with tiles and such and it just didn't work out as well as I would've liked it to unfortunately, as there was still plenty of clipping. The house from my example also has plenty of areas where something would get left uncovered if working in straight lines, but then when I would increase the depth of the roof it looked weird.

To be honest, I was hoping this was going to be easy, seeing how I didn't need to come up with a floor plan of my own, but boy was I wrong. In the end I had to build sort of a half-floor between the first and second floors to make the roof above the porch work(something I have never done before either), then it conflicted with the original stair placement, so I had to adjust that and re-do half the 2nd floor layout........ After all this frustration, I decided to just cover everything with the roof the best I could(so there's an extra balcony on the top floor now just because I couldn't figure it out :D). It doesn't look too bad, but it's definitely far from what I would like it to be and is not really consistent with the Victorian look unfortunately.

So I am still a roof-building dummy :( I can only bow down to the people that create such awesome looking houses for the Sims series, it truly is one heck of a skill.

@cmbaker16 This house is 21 x 21 or something along these lines if I recall correctly, so it's quite huge. The dormers are the one thing I don't dislike and find very easy in this ordeal :LOL: I did try to use a lot of half-hipped roofs in combination with the other half one(half-gable is it? The one that ends in a straight cut rather than more roof), but it didn't look quite right... But I think I will try to re-do it all again when I have a bit more time(I still have plenty of furnishing to do ;) )

@Oldseadogge I didn't want to use the M&G pieces because I can't quite see around them and 3rd floor is the master bedroom/newborn nursery, so there's plenty of foot traffic there. Can you recommend any good mods that would fix that and maybe add extra elements?
  • ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
    Or am I maybe too fixated on the roofs not going into the rooms? Sometimes I can place items in the areas where they do go through, sometimes I can't, which annoys me... And I also wonder if the Sims see it :LOL: I do mostly play with walls down/only the back wall visible, so I probably wouldn't see it for most part, but somehow it feels wrong and I don't know if I am being too idealistic about this
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    @ArielGrint I think you might want to try just ignoring the roof coming in, with sims 2 it's just one of those things that can't be helped especially if you want the roof to look right from the outside. Alot of people who build in sims 2 ignore the roof clipping issues cause sometimes no matter what's done it just can't be fixed.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2018
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.