Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 2 Primer: Avoiding Game and Neighborhood Corruption

12346...Next

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Terra wrote: »
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »
    I was playing today and a Sim who was visiting for a birthday party got the squiggly lines in her thought bubble instead of the footsteps with the X over them when she couldn't move. I've been playing as safe as I can and have no idea what might have caused this. Any tips for what to do to find out what's gone wrong? :grimace: I'm playing the Super Collection on a Mac. The only CC or mod I have is for playable Sims gaining skill points on Community lots. (I didn't download any special Mac version of it, so idk if that is the problem?)

ETA: I found a link to this mod, but I don't know how to make it work on a Mac. Does anyone have any experience of this? There's no SimPE on a Mac either. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=456523

That mod requires the same framework that makes SimPE not able to run on Macs.

I would first of all not panic over one symptom of corruption as things other than neighborhood corruption can cause a variety of corruption symptoms as well. Especially if you know you haven't done anything that causes corruption.

Could some random item that didn't delete itself properly, which is nothing that would corrupt the neighborhood.

OK, the only other weird thing I've had was several weeks ago, when my Sim called in sick to work, a cat called Baxter (one of the ones in the adoption pool, though I can't remember whether he now lives in a family somewhere) answered as his boss. :grimace:

Do you think I should take out the one mod I have? I don't think it's a Mac-specific mod, I hadn't realised that TS2 mods don't work for both by default like they do in TS4.

Mods for Sims 2 aren't OS specific.

The "mod" you linked to is actually a separate program from Sims 2 all together. Just like SimPE. That's why SimPE and the HoodChecker do have a note about what OS it will work on.

The mod you haven't shouldn't be causing those issues. I still wouldn't worry too much unless it starts happening often. And of course, take frequent back ups.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    @Terra I wouldn't worry about any of that. Sometimes the game just glitches a little, it can't load the picture at the time the thought bubble was up for some reason. The cat is nothing to worry about either. :D If your toddlers start getting wants to woohoo or something weird like that, then you should worry!
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Thanks so much for helping allay my fears, guys! :smile:
  • WeirdAlienWeirdAlien Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you for writing this. I now am aware of that I most likely have a corrupt neighborhood which might destroy my game in the near future. I wish I could somehow move Bella Goth's daughter into a new neighborhood though. Does anyone know wether or not the game will be corrupted if a Sim from Pleasantview gets pregnant in downtown with a Sim from a different neighborhood? I have read somewhere that moving Sims downtown will not cause corruption.
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,720 Member
    WeirdAlien wrote: »
    Thank you for writing this. I now am aware of that I most likely have a corrupt neighborhood which might destroy my game in the near future. I wish I could somehow move Bella Goth's daughter into a new neighborhood though. Does anyone know wether or not the game will be corrupted if a Sim from Pleasantview gets pregnant in downtown with a Sim from a different neighborhood? I have read somewhere that moving Sims downtown will not cause corruption.

I believe it depends on what you mean with different neighborhood.
    If it's a Sim from another subhood linked to the same Pleasantview then it should be possible, as subhoods are practically just extensions of the main hood.
    But if you mean a Sim from another hood, such as Veronaville, Strangetown's downtown, or Belladonna Cove's Bluewater, then it can't work unfortunately. :/
    Banner.png
  • WeirdAlienWeirdAlien Posts: 23 Member
    > @M13Vulpecula said:
    > I believe it depends on what you mean with different neighborhood.
    > If it's a Sim from another subhood linked to the same Pleasantview then it should be possible, as subhoods are practically just extensions of the main hood.
    > But if you mean a Sim from another hood, such as Veronaville, Strangetown's downtown, or Belladonna Cove's Bluewater, then it can't work unfortunately. :/

Thank you for the answer. I realized yesterday it would not work. For some reason I imagined Downtown would be the same for every Neighborhood (Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville). I tried yesterday, but it did not work. So there is no known safe way to do this without causing corruption. I wonder if I can make Sims in different neighboorhoods related to each other using SimPe though.

The reason I wonder about this is because I love having connected family trees in mysterious ways. Two families being related through some dead Sims for example. It makes the stories for my Sims more "alive" if that makes sense.
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,720 Member
    WeirdAlien wrote: »
    > @M13Vulpecula said:
    > I believe it depends on what you mean with different neighborhood.
    > If it's a Sim from another subhood linked to the same Pleasantview then it should be possible, as subhoods are practically just extensions of the main hood.
    > But if you mean a Sim from another hood, such as Veronaville, Strangetown's downtown, or Belladonna Cove's Bluewater, then it can't work unfortunately. :/

Thank you for the answer. I realized yesterday it would not work. For some reason I imagined Downtown would be the same for every Neighborhood (Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville). I tried yesterday, but it did not work. So there is no known safe way to do this without causing corruption. I wonder if I can make Sims in different neighboorhoods related to each other using SimPe though.

The reason I wonder about this is because I love having connected family trees in mysterious ways. Two families being related through some dead Sims for example. It makes the stories for my Sims more "alive" if that makes sense.

It does make sense, Sims 2 is the best game in the series for extended mysterious family ties in my opinion. :)

There are a couple of other solutions though. One solution is to make a megahood, which for example is a Pleasantview with Strangetown, Veronaville, Bluewater Village etc as Subhoods. That means ALL Sims from Pleasantview can interact with ALL Sims from other neighborhoods, which can cause some pretty interesting results. :) Although installing them would mean you'd start from scratch with the subhoods you add.

Alternatively you can use SimPE to extract a Sim's appearance and export it to the Sim bin in CAS. Although they won't technically be the same Sim, you can still pretend that that is the case. Kinda like how Strangetown Bella Goth is supposed to be Pleasantview's story-wise.
    Banner.png
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Hey folks! Due to a new job I wasn't able to be on here much for a while, but I am going to PDF the safe game setup tutorial soon. In the meantime, I was trying to learn to tune mods.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]