Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm really missing Sims 2

Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
I think I am going to reinstall my Sims 2 cds this weekend. The more I think about it, the more I miss it.

Comments

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I was just thinking the same and said exactly this last night :o
    The jump from TS1 to TS2 was AMAZING! Everything was great and surprising. So many new possibilities as never before that you could only dream of or better.. couldn't even imagine it was possible. Just wrote a thread on what I would like to see in TS5 and I tried to bring that same feelings into it. It needs to be the same again.
  • Scorpina2009Scorpina2009 Posts: 1,547 Member
    I agree with you 100% FurSimsOfficial !
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Sims 1 and 2 ought to be released on origin. There are a lot of people who would love to play those games.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    The answer to the TS5 question, re-release TS2! I have both UC on my Windows 10 machine and the disk version on XP machine, and play time ratio is about 50:1 over TS4.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I began my whole gaming experience with Sims2. I loved it immediately. However, I made the jump to Sims3 and it wasn't at all what I had expected. The Sims themselves weren't even close to being 'smarter' as advertised and the trait system lacked, too. Why bother having a favorite color, if your Sims won't react to it when their bedroom is fully decked out with said color (tastefully). While I loved the idea of the open world, we gave up much too much for it. The Sims themselves were no longer as lively or funny as they were in Sims2. Don't even get me started on the ghosts. Sims2 ghosts are STILL the best!

When I finally researched Sims4 and decided to give it a go, it was with the caveat that unless EA wowed me with this new iteration, I wouldn't spend another penny on it. Suffice it to say I have everything, except Vampires and My First Pet. (I'm leaning toward MFP, too.)

The Sims in sims4, while not quite the same as the ones in Sims2, are far less wooden than the ones in Sims3.

Another thing that keeps me from returning to Sims2, is the shortness of a Sims' life. (And I'm not talking of the myriad of random deaths that cam occur in that iteration.) Unless I wanted to play with Aging Off, until I was read for a Sim to age up, then it's a very short game.

In Sims3 I played on Epic and made adjustmets to the Babies-Teens life stages, slamming the YAs-Elders all the way up, maximizing their life-expectency.

Sadly, we didn't get that option in Sims4. Why? I have no clue. So, I play on Long and age my Sims up when I deem it time. Besides all of this, the toddlers are far superior in Sims4 than the ones in Sims2, which I used to love the best.

And while I wish we could have the best of Sims4 in Sims2, we just don't. But, I am happy to play Sims4.

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I keep Sims 2 -3 and 4 on my pc ready to play when ever I feel like it. It does take me a few minutes to gather my brain at what I was doing last in the game most times - but it's fun to go back every few weeks and play those ongoing games too. Sims 2 I have 4 legacies going and all three college have 8 sims attending at each of them.

Sims 3 I have 10 different games going in 10 different worlds.

I mostly play Sims 4 though but visit 2 and 3 about about once or twice every 5 or 6 weeks.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I just played TS2 and it's still the best!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Me too. I think I might go dig mine up this weekend.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I'm about to as soon as I leave here. Learned some neat building methods I want to try out, and that are impossible in TS4.
  • HereComesTheRantHereComesTheRant Posts: 4 New Member
    In 12 years from now, do you think anyone will be saying the same for Sims 4? If they don't, then something is seriously wrong with 4 at its core.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I really miss my TS2 UC. I have it on my Origin account but it just won't run.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I recommend it! It’s my favourite sims game ever. I have all four sims games on our PCs but the sims 2 is by far my favourite. <3
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It's been over 4 years since I played it. I do miss it from time to time. Last time I tried it wouldn't play for me.. everything was really slow and stuttering. I'm not very computer savvy so no clue why it won't work now of course on a different computer than I use to play it on. Would love to see how to make it work to take a trip down memory lane. Wonder how long that trip would last?
    egTcBMc.png
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I have heard that the game doesn't like Windows 10, if that's the operating system you use. Of course, it could also be the video card that's unsupported (my problem now). I might be making a trip back to Best Buy to see if they can update my video card or the drivers to see if it's possible to run the game.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    In 12 years from now, do you think anyone will be saying the same for Sims 4? If they don't, then something is seriously wrong with 4 at its core.

They won't. Why? Cause people were talking good about the sims 2 from the beginning and how much of an improvement it was from the previous game. THAT makes a game good. Not looking back and missing features, just because it's nostalgic. The sims 2 was both. I don't have this with the sims 3 at all. There is nothing nostalgic about this game for me to be honest. Some features were good though and the possibilities were also great.
    The sims 1 is just very nostalgic for me and it couldn't be bad since it was the first game and still very good and full of options for it's early time. The forum and reactions while TS2 was out, were very different then what I experience on this one or the sims 3 forum. I have been there with all the games and The sims 4 is by far getting the worst comments and disappointments. They can deny it all they want, but sorry.. TS4 failed hard.

:)
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    I still regularly play TS2, on Windows 10. Sometimes even at the same time as TS4! Of course, TS2 does have a two hour load time, what with all the CC and mods and such.
  • HereComesTheRantHereComesTheRant Posts: 4 New Member
    > @EricasFreePlay said:
    > I have heard that the game doesn't like Windows 10, if that's the operating system you use. Of course, it could also be the video card that's unsupported (my problem now). I might be making a trip back to Best Buy to see if they can update my video card or the drivers to see if it's possible to run the game.

If the video card is your issue I might know how to solve it. Is it because the game can't detect your video card? I had a similar issue with medieval and managed to update the SGR files to support my graphics card on Windows 10. The game wouldn't work before till I added my chip to the supported list.

If you have the same issue I can help. I might even try to redownload sims 2 to confirm if the solution is the same.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited September 2018
    I miss the Sims 2 too. I dipped into it a short while back, and it gave me so much nostalgia. It was the first game that truly got me into the Sims.

Sims 2 and 4 are the best. I kinda want to forget 3 as it messed up my system and everything.... (just my opinion)
    giphy.gif
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

They won't. Why? Cause people were talking good about the sims 2 from the beginning and how much of an improvement it was from the previous game. THAT makes a game good. Not looking back and missing features, just because it's nostalgic. The sims 2 was both. I don't have this with the sims 3 at all. There is nothing nostalgic about this game for me to be honest. Some features were good though and the possibilities were also great.
    The sims 1 is just very nostalgic for me and it couldn't be bad since it was the first game and still very good and full of options for it's early time. The forum and reactions while TS2 was out, were very different then what I experience on this one or the sims 3 forum. I have been there with all the games and The sims 4 is by far getting the worst comments and disappointments. They can deny it all they want, but sorry.. TS4 failed hard.

I disagree with your assessment. :)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member

I disagree also. If I can still make it play in 12 years I'm sure I'll still be firing it up at least now and then. Not sure why this thread had to go there. Not surprised though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I disagree also. If I can still make it play in 12 years I'm sure I'll still be firing it up at least now and then. Not sure why this thread had to go there. Not surprised though.

Yes. I think it is obvious that there will be people that will look back on this game nostalgically, myself among them. I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many games that are not in the category of Big Rigs Over the Road Racing that are not seen fondly as time goes on. The Sims 4 is not something that everyone enjoyed, just like each of the other games in the series. I remember people complaining about The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and yes The Sims 4 too. And while I look back fondly on two of the three previous iterations, I am also aware that the one that I do not care for still has those that see it fondly.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Sims 1 and 2 ought to be released on origin. There are a lot of people who would love to play those games.

They’d have to completely rebuild them to work on Windows 10. A lot of people run the Sims 2 on W10, but after a while, it’s unplayable.

I don’t think EA’s is willing to spend money on maintaining Sims 1 & 2, if the sales aren’t very strong.

That said, if you have a Mac, the Mac version works amazing and they fixed a lot of bugs still in the PC game, and I believe they even changed how the game operates to use new tech so that it isn’t relying on compatibility with 2004 software.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited September 2018
    They can deny it all they want, but sorry.. TS4 failed hard.

The Sims 4 has outsold Sims 2 so it can’t have failed that hard :)

The Sims 3 sold 10 million and we recently were accidentally notified that The Sims 4 has also crossed 10 million.

What people forget is, you’ll always be bias to the game that got your obsession started.
    So for lots of legacy players, it’s The Sims 1/2.

For players that started late Sims 2, early Sims 3, it’s usually the Sims 3.

Go on Tumblr, go on Facebook groups, go on Simmers Twitter pages, and majority of it Sims 4.

A whole new generation started with The Sims 4, and that will be the game the defines The Sims for them. And this generation of the Sims, whether people deny it or not, has attracted ALOT of players. The gallery is sheer proof.

A single Sim or House could get over 50k downloads. That’s a lot of downloads for a single item and shows how large the community is.

For example, Tomb Raider players that started playing during the original series, still think the originals are better than the new series. And a lot of them trash the new series even though the new series isn’t bad, it’s just not got everything that classic Tomb Raider has, because it had to take stuff out to add a whole lot of stuff in.

Tomb Raider players that sfarted with the reboot, often criticise the old games for being stuck in the past, and not progressing enough since the orginal.

This is what just happens when you have a long running series, that refreshes every 5 or so years.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    I still play 2 when I'm in the mood I won't get rid of it until I can't get it to run anymore, I don't have 1 and I am done with 3 but I'll be glad to have 4 take over for 2 when it officially breaks down. For now it's always nice to go back and play with the old premades or make new sims altogether :smiley:
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

They’d have to completely rebuild them to work on Windows 10. A lot of people run the Sims 2 on W10, but after a while, it’s unplayable.

I don’t think EA’s is willing to spend money on maintaining Sims 1 & 2, if the sales aren’t very strong.

That said, if you have a Mac, the Mac version works amazing and they fixed a lot of bugs still in the PC game, and I believe they even changed how the game operates to use new tech so that it isn’t relying on compatibility with 2004 software.

EA made it possible to run Sims 2 on Windows 10 with their version ( I had my registered Sims 2 version and EA gave me the Universal one and the update for Window 10... I still had a couple small issues - like it acknowledging my video card and such that I had to work out - so I did have to tinker a bit in the beginning, but it's been fine since. I even run all my old Sims 2 programs like Simpe etc and all my Sims 2 CC works fine.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....