Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Can't Propose Marriage Glitch

My sims are unable to propose marriage. I have tried with different sims, and the result is always the same - the option just doesn't come up. This is new, as I've had two marriages in my game before this. It happens with Sims that are living together in the same household, and also with ones who aren't. And yes, I know they must be at "Extremely Irresistible" to propose. The Sims in question are dating, and I've checked everything, including making sure their moods are pretty much perfect.

A quick search for this problem leads me to believe I'm very much not alone, and that it's a bug that was never fixed. I found two old forum threads, going back to 2009, full of people having this issue, but no solutions. The posts go up through 2014, with no fix (I'd post the links, but I'm being told I have to be around a while longer before I can do that. Well, I don't really intend on being around a while if my issue can't be fixed, honestly, so I leave it to the techs to do their own Googling of "sims 3 propose marriage not available" and find the old forum threads that I found).

This isn't an expansion conflict (I have none). One solution that the wider internet suggested was to move my Sims to a different neighborhood, but I don't have any other neighborhoods (since I have no expansions and haven't spent any "points" - what are those anyway? real money?), and creating another of the same neighborhood wouldn't let me move the family there. So I'm stuck, with a game where my Sims can't get married, unless there's a fix.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2015
    Leave it to the techs? First of all, although this board is moderated by EA, your audience here is your fellow players who like to share experiences and assist each other out of kindness. If interested in our assistance, you will get more of it with less of an apparent assumption that we are game developers.

I agree that there have been no end of game glitches that get in the way of things like proposing marriage. But there are also a fair number of reasonable explanations why this might be happening.

-- The other sim already has a partner you didn't know about (steady bf/gf or higher)
    -- The other sim is a widow(er) and still has an unresolved relationship with a deceased sim
    -- Your sims are still Romantic Interests with each other, but have not yet progressed to going steady (this is a requirement) or their relationship has somehow decayed since they were steadies
    -- Either sim has broken up with someone recently and is in a cool down period
    -- Either household is full (doesn't always make sense if you weren't planning to marry right away or move them into a full household, but this tends to block things anyway)
    -- The other sim is a homeless non-playable character (also known as an NPC)
    -- They aren't as interested in each other long-term as you thought or you haven't actually dated them long enough; some sims just move more slowly than others
    -- One of them has a trait that is getting in the way
    -- Maybe some other reasons I'm not thinking of right now

Possible solutions, besides just continuing to work on the relationship and looking for unknown significant others still in the way:

-- If they are already in the same household, try moving the intended fiance out to their own house first.
    -- Is your game patched up to 1.67? There may have been a fix you need that you haven't gotten yet.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-super-patcher
    -- If you want to explore the solution of moving them to a new world and you only have Sunset Valley in play, Riverview is free for all registered users of the base game and available from the original TS3 site as a no-cost purchase. There are also plenty of player-made custom worlds out there that can be installed if you want to explore those.
    -- There are game mods that can help cut through the bugs or whatever is blocking the missing interaction if you want to consider that route.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    KGazetteKGazette Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello igazor,

I apologize for my mistake regarding believing the developers would see this. I was referred to this forum by EA Customer Service for exactly that purpose. After a livechat session that then moved to email, the final word I got was "For issues such as the one you have raised Stephanie we must advise you to post your issue on the Sims 3 forums for our developer to check up on . The forums can be found at - [a link to the old Sims 3 forums, which are closed for posting and point to these forums]." So I was sent here (well, here-ish, I suppose) specifically to post my issue for developers, hence my writing the post assuming they would be the ones addressing it. However, given your response, and the fact that they tried to direct me to out-of-use forums leads me to believe it was just an old canned response, and a brush-off at that.

My game is patched up through the current patch, and it was before I started playing, so the inability to propose marriage is something that came up long after patching, and doesn't seem to be directly related. I could try reinstalling the patch, maybe? I haven't done anything with patches other than through the launcher.

I moved one of the Sims out of my house, even though she was one of the ones I was trying to marry off, to see if that would allow two of the Sims still in the house to finally get married. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have fixed it, even though the house is no longer full. None of the reasons you mentioned for why those two Sims wouldn't get married apply, but I guess I could try moving one of them out (though that doesn't really fit with the "story-line" of what I've been doing with these Sims... but then again, neither does having them living together but not married, I suppose). I also might just give up on marrying those two in particular, and see if I can marry any of the children in the house once they reach adulthood.

Anyway, the follow-up is just that it will be quite a while before I see if any of these things fixes the issue, but I appreciate your suggestions.
  • Options
    You're welcome. It might be less frustrating to view this apparent blockage as an interesting challenge even if it wasn't intended. Obviously other players can get their sims married off, so there must be some path to success that you haven't run into yet.

By all means, try the SuperPatcher I linked to. The Launcher is notorious for performing an incomplete patch job but reporting that it's done. If the SuperPatcher says you are already up to date, make it run anyway. It can't really break anything and the worst thing it can do is waste some time, but it has fixed many other players' games that have had much more serious issues.

As for customer support, wow are they really still saying that?! That's mind-boggling. This forum is the same thing as the original TS3 forum. When they closed the old one down, they ported all of the messages and data over here and opened it all back up again, then added/expanded the TS4 sections. So it really doesn't matter so much that they are giving out links to the old one, although it makes them look a bit silly and can be inconvenient until players figure that out.

But what developers? The final patch for TS3 came out in Jan 2014, the final TS3 store items were already in the queue to be released through that September and that was it. What was left of the development team was disbanded and/or reassigned with the final patches what will be two years ago pretty soon. You're right, you were being read to from a script that hasn't been valid in a very long time, I'm afraid. But the player and modding communities behind TS3 are still here and in other places, just a bit smaller than we once were, and we have no intention of disappearing. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I find if I can't get a sim to propose marriage I look at their relationships panel and invariably they have one or more love interests that are not the Sim they are supposed to be getting married to. So if I really want them to marry I have to do something to break up the relationship with the love interest and all is good - eventually.
  • Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    So, you had at least 3 adults and some children. If you have 8 or more sims in your house, engagement and marriage won't come up unless it is between two single, unrelated adults both already living and controllable in the house, and in love enough. Eight is the maximum.
    If you were somehow able to get more than 8, you still won't be able to propose engagement or marriage to an outsider. You can however get an outsider female pregnant, but she will have the baby in her own house.
    My solution in my game when we're full, is wait til someone in the family gets old and dies or moves out.
    I have used nraas Master Controller, a mod easily found on the net, to add a 9th sim to the house before and once they are moved in they are able to propose and marry each other, but still nobody can propose or marry any outsiders until there are 7 housemates or less. But they can go steady.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I have used nraas Master Controller, a mod easily found on the net, to add a 9th sim to the house before and once they are moved in they are able to propose and marry each other, but still nobody can propose or marry any outsiders until there are 7 housemates or less. But they can go steady.
    The NRaas Mover mod, from the same place you got MasterController, would unlock the propose and marriage options for already full houses. The mod we are not allowed to talk about here would allow them to have more babies.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Which+Mod+FAQ#Overstuffed
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KGazetteKGazette Posts: 3 New Member
    > @DivinylsFan said:
    > So, you had at least 3 adults and some children. If you have 8 or more sims in your house, engagement and marriage won't come up unless it is between two single, unrelated adults both already living and controllable in the house, and in love enough.

That is indeed the situation - but I was still not able to get marriage/engagement to come up with two single, unrelated adults both living in the same controllable house with completely full relationship bars and "extremely irresistible" dialog status. That's why I'm stumped. They are both Elder Sims, so I don't want to wait for someone to die off because, well, it would be one of the two Sims I'm trying to marry to each other!

I did move another adult out of the house (even though I wanted to marry her off instead of just moving her out), but even with only 7 in my household, the two Elders still can't get married. Elders *can* get married, right? I seem to remember them being able to in The Sims 2, but it just occurred to me that I hadn't questioned if this could be the issue for me.
  • Options
    WildMDWildMD Posts: 3 New Member
    edited November 2015
    I have the same problem. My Sim, for one reason or another cannot seem to Propose Marriage also. Here are the details:
    1) Sims involved are my original Sim and Lotta Greaves whom I ressurected with Ambrosia and had turned into a Vampire. They are both young adults and are already BF-GF status. Of course, I know that you need the "simply irresistible" bubble for them to Propose but the option simply would not show.
    2) Both Sims in question live in the same household with my Sim's parents and sister (making them a total of 5 in the household).
    3) I do not know if Lotta was previously married but I do not think this is the case because I did check her family tree prior...furthermore, I would not have been able to Go Steady if she was previously married, yes?
    4) This happened right after I installed the Super Patch and downloaded NRAAS Overwatch (this was because I have been having the very annoying Sims-Crowding-in-a-Lot bug, which was fixed to my relief by the Overwatch). Before these latter changes, I was able to get married in-game without any problem. I know I should have gotten them married early on but I really wanted a flashy wedding for them so preparations. And I didn't know I would be experiencing this bug so I procrastinated. Haha.

I have also been to a lot of forums in the attempt to deal with this glitch. I have not tried downloading the MasterController yet...but I just might. I will update you guys once I have results.
  • Options
    PriestessPetalPriestessPetal Posts: 1 New Member
    My Sim, Tanya, met Eddy in the Uni town and got together with him and eventually I wanted to get them married. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out where the "Propose Marriage" icon was. I managed to fix that with MasterController and forcing them to get married that way. It's a little complicated, but it works.
  • Options
    geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm having major issues as of late in getting sims to propose in new games. What I'm discovering is that if my sim ages up first from teen then the other sim starts dating other girls/guys in school, and if they sim age up they suddenly get into a marriage relationship almost immediately! I had one sim I was spending lots of time in with school and had a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. He aged up first and then I got a message right after that he got a job and then that he and another sim got hooked up together. I was devastated because he was such a perfect match to my sim. Then I checked out who this new looker was that he got married to within minutes and it was an elderly lady. >.> I broke up with him and started making moves on another sim. He seemed to be stuck in aging so I used MC to make him age up. Before I could even pick up the phone to call him round as soon as he aged up he had a new job and a new lover, in fact 5 in the time it took him to drive to my sim's house! Now there's no option to advance to proposing marriage. I was like "really, you couldn't like wait the 40 seconds it took to drive to her house!"
  • Options
    If you are using NRaas StoryProgression, you can turn Romance off at the sim level for ones that you want the mod to leave alone and stop trying to push romances on them. You can also set up an "Arranged Marriage," which will at least stop them from being partnered up by SP with other seemingly random sims around town.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @WildMD: There is a bug regarding marrying resurrected ghosts. It goes away if you travel, or there might be a mod fix that I'm not aware of.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ReginaSReginaS Posts: 12 New Member
    Recently I have had an issue with one pair of my sims. While at home they can't show affection to one another.... and it makes one or the other mad. But then they go on vacation with the family this is not a problem. While in China they started going steady and while in France they became engaged. But once home they can't even chat with one another. Now my other couples can chat, hug, kiss and have normal couple interactions with one another. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @ReginaS: did you...

1. Save (As), clear caches, and reload?
    2. Try resetsim?
    3. Attempt to go back to an earlier save?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Thanks I will give these a try....
  • Options
    > @ReginaS said:
    > Recently I have had an issue with one pair of my sims. While at home they can't show affection to one another.... and it makes one or the other mad. But then they go on vacation with the family this is not a problem. While in China they started going steady and while in France they became engaged. But once home they can't even chat with one another. Now my other couples can chat, hug, kiss and have normal couple interactions with one another. Any suggestions?

Finally got my engaged sims back on track. I moved them out and then moved them back in. I did not save the game after I moved them out only after I moved them back in. Hopefully this will help anyone else who might be having issues with their sims.
  • Options
    DarcyhenDarcyhen Posts: 1 New Member
    I had this problem myself where I was able to "go steady" but then I couldn't progress the relationship beyond that. I tried everything that I found online, the only thing that worked was to (using testingcheatsenabled) force the girlfriend into my household. They were then able to get engaged and married. After that, none of my other sims had any troubles proposing, I just needed to do it once. Hope this works for you!