Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Harvestable Plants not producing

Hi! I have come into a problem...I have a bunch of harvestable plants but none of them produce fruit or plants. I do not have any mods or anything like that outside of that nnars or something to make the game run smoother.

Thanks in advance! Been spending a ton of real life hours and no plants..my alchemist has a sad.

Comments

• PixieydustPixieydust Posts: 705 Member
    Could it be because I used the dragon to harvest?
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    The dragon won't ruin your plants. They do die faster with the dragon though because you can harvest a lot more a lot faster with the dragon and they only produce a few crops before they die.
    I wish I could figure out why my plants wont produce. I am at a loss, anything I have found seems to be way over my head. Thank you for the info on the dragon though
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @Pixieydust, do you have Seasons and is it late Fall or Winter? If so, then harvestable plants will go dormant and not be harvestable. Trees seem to work OK and will lose their leaves so you can see they are dormant (it will also say so in the pop-up that comes up when you hover you mouse over them.
    Other plants though seem to bug out at this time of year and appear to be harvestable, even say ready to harvest, but they do not show any fruit and the Harvest interaction will not appear.
    I think it was because I planted them right before it snowed....so they were dormant for a very long time or something. I moved them around in the middle of spring and then back in the neat little rows, it seemed either the moving or the dormant stuff just started figuring out it was warmer. Thanks so much!!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    That's the reason right there. Once they go dormant for more than one night, when the weather warms, they will say they are ready for harvest, but there will be nothing on them and your sim won't be able to harvest them. The only thing to do is dispose of them and plant new ones. Then, don't even plant so close to winter again. If you have a cold fall, they could even go irrecoverably dormant as early as the first day of fall.
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    I've been doing a bit of testing of this, while doing some other tests in an un-modded game, and have found that it doesn't seem to matter when the plants were planted and that it does also affect trees as well, contrary to what I said earlier. I had a mature garden come fall with some mature Perfect quality plants and trees along with some more recently planted and they all went dormant. I let the game continue through the following Spring and into the Summer but none of them revived, other than still needing watering and weeding.

In fact the only plant I have found that seems to survive the Winter reliably is the Money Tree which is just as well! (I don't know about the Omni Plant as I had not completed the Omnificent opportunity by Winter.)

Another thing I have noted is that this only seems to affect plants on your home lot, those in community gardens do survive the Winter and become harvestable again in the Spring. I know there is some different coding there as there is a random chance of a mature community plant becoming harvestable each morning, rather than all of them as they do on your home lot. This does seem like a bug in the code that handles the harvest state versus the dormant state on home lots.

Of course another way to avoid this problem of overwintering plants is to use planters and grow them indoors :) Any indoor space can be used but a greenhouse would look best. Trees can only be planted indoors however if you use the moveobjects on cheat and need more than the standard wall height. Using moo allows you to put them in planters which it does not normally allow, or to leave some of the ground exposed and plant directly in the dirt (note that your Sims will get an unfinished moodlet if you do this).
  • TheNicestGuyTheNicestGuy Posts: 2 New Member
    Although this post is obviously ancient, the problem still exists. This was my first Google result when I looked for a solution, so I figured I'd post here for posterity. There is a fix. Thanks go to CourtMC1021 for the tip.

As suggested there, you'll need to install the Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods from NRaas. It's possible only Overwatch is needed; I didn't try. You can verify that the mods are in place by clicking your sim and looking for an "NRaas > Overwatch..." interaction, then waiting for about 4am when ErrorTrap will start giving you notifications about lost sims, unroutable sims, and other daily cleanups it does.

You don't need to do anything but install the mods for the fix to work, but it's not necessarily an instant fix. I had to wait almost two weeks to see the proof, because it happened to be late fall. Within 24 hours of install, all my stuck plants had reverted to "mature". By the time fall had ended, some had returned to "harvest", but still no fruits. Then came winter and "dormant". When winter thawed to spring, the plants awoke from dormancy and returned to "mature". By the second or third day of spring, I finally found my entire garden sagging with fruits. Such a relief.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @TheNicestGuy - This is the way it's supposed to work and it's Overwatch that does that. It restores the plants' states to what they are really supposed to be upon running its startup and overnight routines, correcting all of the goofy programming mistakes made with mushroom phases, stuck dormancies, and overactive winters along the way. I still lose around maybe 5% or fewer of my plants that don't make the transitions well but given a large enough garden or farm that's an acceptable level of loss. Realistic, even. :)

But ErrorTrap is highly recommended for other reasons as well, of course.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • xoxJennxoxxoxJennxox Posts: 406 Member
    Another ancient post, but this thread still comes up first during a search.

My garden is not producing fruit. I do have ErrorTrap and Overwatch. I do NOT have Seasons installed or any gardening mods. It's been about a sim week since the last harvestable fruits came in.
    Origin ID xoxJennxox
    Jenn's Junkyard - Current Stuff
    Tart ISBI -Completed 12/12/2016
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    xoxJennxox wrote: »

My garden is not producing fruit. I do have ErrorTrap and Overwatch. I do NOT have Seasons installed or any gardening mods. It's been about a sim week since the last harvestable fruits came in.

It isn't that ancient. I do vaguely recall some people having issues with seeds in their inventories.

I'd experiment by planting or storing any seeds and reset the lot and wait and see if either of those actions fix the problem. I haven't played without Seasons since its release so don't know if there is some special issue relating to not having Seasons installed. I really don't know why your garden isn't producing.

There was also something to do with a sim having the gatherer trait and green thumb causing problems for some people.

Definitely try a MC reset of the lot first as @Karritz suggested.

But can we just confirm something here, are your plants showing as Harvestable (only with nothing to harvest)? Or are they actually Dormant, Barren, or stuck in some other phase? It could be that these plants have produced all that they are going to produce and need to be disposed of. Or, if they are just truly stuck on an earlier phase and Overwatch is not catching and correcting this, you could move them along to the next phase with NRaas DebugEnabler.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2017

Just wanted to say nothing wrong with bumping old threads if it still relates to the topic. I don't know why people get so upset if it's still a valid question/topic.

I've fixed bugged plants before in the past with NRaas: DebugEnabler.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    I don't know why people get so upset if it's still a valid question/topic.

I think the criticism is mostly only when someone opens an ancient thread by offering suggestions directed at the OP.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2017
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I don't know why people get so upset if it's still a valid question/topic.

I think the criticism is mostly only when someone opens an ancient thread by offering suggestions directed at the OP.
    I know you said mostly but I'm talking about those who freak out screaming NECRO just because it's an old thread... One time the thread was only a few months old. I roll my eyes at those people. This is over the years what I have seen across the different sections.

I also can't blame those possibly new to forums so they don't check dates before responding to the original OP. Seems like obvious logic but a small mistake to make.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited August 2017
    There are degrees of necro-ing. Seems like gently adding new information or a new question regarding the same topic onto a thread, like this poster has, that is a couple of years old should be fine. As said, the New Members have to post somewhere since they cannot start their own threads yet and I commend them and even the forum veterans for searching out relevant discussions before doing so in the first place.

But we've all also seen New Members trying to "help" an OP directly who probably isn't even playing anymore, let alone still having a presence on the forums, with an issue from eight years ago. Then there are those who will barrel into the forum just to tell us all rudely that vampires and aliens do exist, as do world travel, pets, and weather, what's wrong with the OP in the first place, do they even play this game, etc. when the original post was really a wish list from 2009 before we had any EPs -- and then these new members disappear forever thus becoming one- or two-post wonders. And then there are those who answer 2009 questions as if the OP were playing TS4. Some of us might still remember the infamous pie in the face thread, and no I am not going to provide a link to it! ;)

I can't believe this is by accident every time it happens. Maybe sometimes on that last one about TS4.

I do think there should be some sort of forum-wide stance against dredging up threads that have been dormant since 2012 or something, such as by having them all locked down, but maybe not so much the ones since then. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited August 2017

I also can't blame those possibly new to forums so they don't check dates before responding

I've been on the forums off and on for YEARS and I still dont always check the dates :p
    I know you said mostly but I'm talking about those who freak out screaming NECRO just because it's an old thread... One time the thread was only a few months old. I roll my eyes at those people. This is over the years what I have seen across the different sections.

Yes, I see that too, and I feel the same. If they have a question and there's already a thread discussing it, it's going to come up when they search for it, and it makes sense for them to post on it.

• Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    edited August 2017
    I've had this problem too btw even though I do have overwatch. For me it was the seasons bug and turning off winter, spring and fall made sure it didn't happen again. I had to dispose of all the plants that didn't produce anymore though. On the other hand these plants were already super old and should've died already anyways so it wasn't a big problem to me. I didn't mind turning off winter fall and spring anyways since it was limiting my gardening too much and i didn't feel like building a greenhouse.
  • TiffanySouzaTiffanySouza Posts: 301 Member
    So since we're being cool about this being an old yet still relevant thread, I'm having an issue and this is still the first thing to pop up on Google. I started a new game in Moonlight Falls. I'm attempting to start a garden for my alchemist but I'm having the issue OP was. I have overwatch and error trap. It's late fall, so I tried planting indoors in planter bowls. They aren't dormant. I tried using debug to force them to harvest and I'm getting the bug. No produce even though the plant says harvestable and is not dormant. It's happening on my home lot and the supernatural consignment store. Not sure why overwatch/error trap aren't fixing this. Any ideas?