Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When you play tropical worlds do you still allow fall and winter?

I love Sunlit Tides right now, but I just can't bear to part with fall and winter. They're the best seasons! So it's going to be snowing on some palm trees soon. C'est la vie.

Comments

• TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I just use NRaas Tempest to edit the weather patterns so fall and winter would be much warmer and not get tons of snow as the winter would just be mostly rainy though still mild with above freezing temperatures while fall would be still like summer in the daytime with temperatures dropping lower at night for some overnight cooling.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Most of the time I enable only summer, or spring and summer, in tropical worlds. But if I want to play in a tropical world and still have all the seasons, I do. I use NRaas Tempest also, but while I could adjust the temperatures to exclude cold weather, garden plants and trees will still go dormant in the fall and winter, and fail to recover in the spring, regardless of the temperature. So instead, I make summer and spring longer, and add the winter and fall holidays to summer and spring.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited September 2018
    I play Lucky Palms the most and have it set to only summer and a short spring.And if using Sunlit Tides or IP would have the same.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Summer only, but then my sims only visit tropical worlds on holiday, usually when it's autumn or winter in their homeworld. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited September 2018
    I actually do allow winter (all 4 seasons) in Sunlit Tides. In Isla Paradiso I just allow summer, spring, and autumn. All other worlds get all seasons although all my saves just use 1 week of winter vs. 28 days of the other seasons. I don't like winter but I like the winter festival and the Christmas Bonuses they get in winter.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    I allow all seasons, I just turn off Snowy weather. That way I still get all the festivals, but inaccurate weather doesn’t ruin the immersion.
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Maybe I should turn snow off...but it's just my favorite.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member

I play a 91 day life cycle with 7 days for each season in all my worlds. I use Sims 3 options to turn off hail. I use NRaas Tempest to adjust the temperature and the weather for each world and to reduce the amount of rain in all worlds. I use 2 main weather temperature setups.

1. the original temperatures and in addition to less chance of rain less severe snow storms. I also add more sunny days so sometimes although it may snow overnight, during the day the sun will come out and shine on the snow. For Aurora Skies and Hidden Springs and other snowy worlds I leave the more plentiful snow during winter.

2. tropical temperatures with no snow but a little extra rain in winter. For Lucky Palms and other desert worlds I use the tropical temperatures but with much less rain.
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    becks1112 wrote: »
    Maybe I should turn snow off...but it's just my favorite.

More power to you if you want to keep it, it’s your game 😉

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2018
    Now that I use NRaas: Tempest, I have custom profiles for each EA world tuned to mimic real-life weather of where that world is supposed to be based on... But I have played with snow in Lucky Palms before and it's pretty cool covered in white!

You know, in real life it's totally possible to experience snow in places that wouldn't normally have such cold weather. I live in Texas and sometimes we do get a little snow. This is from the Texas gulf coast last year. A few hours from where I live but I think we experienced a bit of snow too in my area that year.
    920x920.jpg

I agree with KNORear :) The Sims is a sandbox game. There's no wrong or right way how to play.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    There is a perfectly logical way this can happen. Didn't we all learn this in school or something? See, Mrs. Claus has to get Mother Nature to convince the correct brother to allow it to snow in his Southern territory in exchange for...something else. What were we talking about, again? :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbfgVEk-mxQ

Disclaimer: Having grown up in a place so far up north that we often enough had to trick or treat through the snow (not that much so early and not every year) and could hear elves working overtime at night approaching mid-December, we all just had to assume this is the way it works down there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Absolutely not! :o I keep the seasons as natural as possible, so snow in Sunlit Tides or Isla Paradiso or even Lucky Palms is a definitive nono - no matter how beautiful it must be under the snow! B)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    @igazor
    Could Snowmiser please come visit Florida.
    Heat Miser, please allow your brother to give us some cooler air.We're all dying from heat down here.XD
    I loved that show.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

No, I only change it if it's bothering me while I play. :)
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    More often than not, I set up a rainy spring and a dry summer in tropical worlds and a year-round summer in desert worlds.

But for me it’s less a concern with seasonal/weather accuracy and more about preference. Like @igazor mentioned about growing up in a more northern region, I also recall having snow in October some years, which would necessitate winter jackets, boots and mittens on Halloween. I was always frustrated that no one could see my costume properly while trick-or-treating. :confused: And shoveling snow gets old, especially during the years when you’re still doing it in late April, lol. So if my Sim lives or travels somewhere tropical, I prefer it to be hot and summery. I’m okay with snow for a bit IRL or in game, but it doesn’t take much before I’m over it! :lol:

Although I didn’t keep it this way very long, I found one of my old build screenshots in Sunlit Tides from 2012 where I had winter with snow enabled.

30STwinter_zpsqwbeq9sc.jpg

That’s just one of the awesome things about TS3—even the weather and seasons are adjustable. If you want snowy winters in all your worlds, there's no reason you shouldn't have them. It’s great to have the option!
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Sunlit Tides is one of my favourite EA worlds too :) I do like to keep it as a tropical paradise so I allow Spring and Summer. The Spring season acts as the monsoon season because of the rain and even in paradise a little rain must fall.

I must admit the pictures of the world in snow look great although the thought of my sims in their tropical outfits shivering away is not so appealing.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I have to admit, I'm having trouble following this conversation. I don't have Seasons installed, and yet the weather in TS3 is exactly the same as in real life. Every day is bright and sunny, and it never rains (anymore), although the world may occasionally darken a bit from a passing cloud (or rather, when I shift positions and my head blocks the light, and then my laptop screen dims accordingly).

On the other hand, as far as I can tell, none of my sims' neighbors have ever called the cops because someone was playing in the sprinklers in the middle of the afternoon.

But this thread has me thinking that maybe when I do start playing with Seasons, I'll enable everything in the homeworld and then send my sims somewhere warm and sunny for a winter vacation. Or the reverse, if they live in a tropical world—they can take off for a literal Ski Week and learn to snowboard, then come back home to beach weather in February.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I just love winter too much (in the Sims and in RL), so I allow it in Sunlit Tides.

Screenshot-x6018.jpg
    Yes, it looks a bit weird.

Screenshot-x5935.jpg
    But also beautiful.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    I do... but I modify the settings so it's more realistic for a warmer/more tropical location.

I'm currently playing in Starlight Shores, and I have it set so that there is no snow at all, and very little rain in any of the seasons, with temperatures slightly lower in winter.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    It’s a game, not reality, and not enabling winter in Sunlit Tides would be nothing but a shame, it’s beautiful! I do play in IP with only summer enabled by the way, because I liked that for a change. But not because I feel you should.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KatryaKatrya Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2018
    In my tropical save I only allow spring and summer, but hearing about tempest I am thinking maybe I should install it. I am planning to use traveler to take my sims someplace cold for winter though. Probably to Lunar Lakes (where I just have summer, winter, and a very short spring.) You should absolutely do whatever makes you happy with your seasons. I love that I can customize the weather to whatever I want.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I don't play in Isla Paradiso. Too laggy and I love having all four seasons. Other worlds that have beaches, I keep the winter/snow because I live in Florida and live through my sims. Lol.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I don't have winter in my tropical worlds, or any world where it wouldn't make sense to me. That's just how I play, but as @JoAnne65 said, it's a game, and in SimNation you can make it snow in tropical areas or have a scorching heatwave in an antarctic place if you want to. You're only limited by your imagination ! ( and 4 seasons :p )
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    This is a little off topic, but I was wondering how simmers in Australia and other southern hemisphere locations play the seasons in Sims 3. In RL do you celebrate Christmas on Dec 25? Assuming so is that in your winter or summer? I know it is your warm months but do you refer to Dec, Jan and Feb as summer or winter? If you use the Tempest mod do you change the weather to fit with the southern hemisphere? I guess if you don't use that mod there's not much you can do to reflect the weather you are used to.