Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Death phone calls?

alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
edited September 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I thought with all the passionate discussion going on about the new death-phone-calls feature, it would be interesting to start a poll about it. At the moment, your Sims will get a phone call for every Sim they (barely) know and receive a +2 sad moodlet for 48 hours.
Post edited by alanmichael1 on

Death phone calls? 221 votes

I want the feature to stay as it is.
2%
davidp0418SimburianJennyggsimmerLellacaliposstakenbysheep 6 votes
I want to get phone calls only for close friends and relatives.
72%
Akl500PhaecandromeFrn0731KolbyTheStarHermitIcewolfSimfuncrunchCabelle1863MadameLeeWedMaMaTwinklebirdBluebeard45MartinvVibseSimpatsyannWritin_RegshellbemebabajayneNyxLunaStarelanorbreton 161 votes
I want to get calls for everyone, but with reduced sadness (e.g. +1 for 6 hours).
12%
Kita5399simgirl1010Bagoas77Cinebarbarracuda1574MirichaClassicalSimkittymeowQueenMercy83bienchenMeepy!!TiaDoggummybear0724SimsInHogwartsthatsnotswegRae357mysterionzDrakosDuskregnLauri_Anton 27 votes
I don't want the calls at all.
12%
GoldmoldartrinitymAnyahsfriendlysimmersKatzMeowzduhboy2u2To7mAceOfKnavesLoriTSpwormstache999SimmerMarscheifeagleeyepsyktDestin2016YubellAshtontoAshton22PlainevilEvie0602SigRaroSERVERFRA 27 votes

Comments

• LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    I like getting calls on who passed but its just freaking annoying that you get them for like a sim you only greeted once, most of the time when I get them I dont even recall who they where as opposed to a friend or something, I wish we just got them when a Sim was at the "Friends" stage with another sim or where releated, that would be acceptable, right now its just ridiculous
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    It’s depressing that there even needs to be a poll on this. But, I salute you for making it.
  • worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, I was thinking of making a poll like this as well, so kudos! I think it'll be helpful for the Gurus, who actually seem to be requesting feedback on this feature and its current state. I like the concept of this feature, but it's definitely really excessive in its current state. I think Sim reactions to these calls should be scaled depending on how well they knew the deceased. I can see them being sad over friends, good friends, best friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, spouses, etc, but not over someone that they only said hi to once, and definitely not over someone that they dislike or even hate.

And toddlers shouldn't be getting these calls either. They aren't supposed to have phones, so that shouldn't even be possible!
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Looks like a clear tendency ...
    edited September 2018
    I thought with all the passionate discussion going on about the new death-phone-calls feature, it would be interesting to start a poll about it. At the moment, your Sims will get a phone call for every Sim they (barely) know and receive a +2 sad moodlet for 24 hours.

It's actually worse than that. They get a +2 sad moodlet for not just 24 hours, but for two days. Sims also get this moodlet from disliked people or even enemies dying, the moodlet saying that a "friend" died. Um, I'm sorry, what?
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    I thought with all the passionate discussion going on about the new death-phone-calls feature, it would be interesting to start a poll about it. At the moment, your Sims will get a phone call for every Sim they (barely) know and receive a +2 sad moodlet for 24 hours.

It's actually worse than that. They get a +2 sad moodlet for not just 24 hours, but for two days. Sims also get this moodlet from disliked people or even enemies dying, the moodlet saying that a "friend" died. Um, I'm sorry, what?

You are of course right, I corrected this!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'd have the sad moodlets as follos:

4 hours: Acquaintance or Disliked/Enemies (you might be a little sad that an enemy died before you could patch things up; maybe if you have the Mean or Evil traits that Sad moodlet turns to a Happy one)
    8 hours: Friends
    1 day: Close/best friends, romantic interests
    2 days: Boyfriend/girlfriend, engaged partners, family members.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I thought with all the passionate discussion going on about the new death-phone-calls feature, it would be interesting to start a poll about it. At the moment, your Sims will get a phone call for every Sim they (barely) know and receive a +2 sad moodlet for 48 hours.
    Like what kind of death calls I don't really understand what you are asking. Sorry not fully comprehending stuff today.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    edited September 2018
    Like what kind of death calls I don't really understand what you are asking. Sorry not fully comprehending stuff today.

It's a new feature that was churned out with one of the recent patches. Basically, whenever someone outside of the played household dies that any of your Sims even only somewhat know, they'll get a call informing them that this Sim has died. Only problem is, Sims get these calls not only for close friends, lovers, or family, but also for very minor acquaintances, disliked people, or even enemies. Not only that, but the reaction is exactly the same for all of them, forcing a +2 sad moodlet on them for two whole days saying that a "friend" died. I'm sorry, but acquaintances, disliked people, and enemies are NOT "friends."

And because of how frequently Sims tend to die at a certain point in the game with aging on, these calls will start happening constantly. Just when you think you've finally worn down that awful sad moodlet of theirs, another Sim will often die and reset the duration of it right back up to two days again. Toddlers are somehow getting these calls as well, even though they don't even have phones.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

It's a new feature that was churned out with one of the recent patches. Basically, whenever someone outside of the played household dies that any of your Sims even only somewhat know, they'll get a call informing them that this Sim has died. Only problem is, Sims get these calls not only for close friends, lovers, or family, but also for very minor acquaintances, disliked people, or even enemies. Not only that, but the reaction is exactly the same for all of them, forcing a +2 sad moodlet on them for two whole days saying that a "friend" died. I'm sorry, but acquaintances, disliked people, and enemies are NOT "friends."

And because of how frequently Sims tend to die at a certain point in the game with aging on, these calls will start happening constantly. Just when you think you've finally worn down that awful sad moodlet of theirs, another Sim will often die and reset the duration of it right back up to two days again. Toddlers are somehow getting these calls as well, even though they don't even have phones.
    I never get those calls I get notifications saying that such and such is about to die you probably want to spend time with them. Or I get creepy texts from dead sims wanting to go to eat or go to a party.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    I mostly tend to play single, career-driven types of sims, so family-type play and its issues are not the norm for me. So in situations like mine, the phone calls tend to be impractical time-wasting distractions. If I had to pick just one, I really just want the phone to leave me the heck alone so I can play. I do so much better when I can just focus on whatever I'm trying to do.

If I were to be playing a family, however, and most especially a legacy type of thing, it would be something I could see being important. So I understand that as well, and I think that those types of players need to have it there for their type of play.

What I really think the issue is here is the lack of options. No matter what kind of game we are playing, we want a given feature to fit into that - but reasonably, of course. So that is what I hope the gurus will take away from this - features need to have a reasonable impact upon gameplay, and be adjustable to the different types of scenarios that players commonly apply.
  • AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    I personally don't want the calls at all, however, I think it would be a lot more tolerable for me if my sims could silence their phone and keep it silenced - as something of a 'workaround'. Or as an alternative, look up obituaries on the PC (since we don't have the newspaper that I miss dearly anymore). That would certainly give players more choice in the matter.

The main issue I have is that it's plain unnecessary getting a call out of the blue from a sim you don't know, about a sim you are acquainted with (or in some cases sims you deslike) dying. I just... don't understand the logic behind this, no disrespect. It's worse when your sim is already trying to get over a death, divorce, etc. and receive the call, only to have it stack with the remaining emotions and making me want to bang my head against the keyboard because they're too sad to do anything for days. Not much fun when you play a Legacy. I think the most beneficial option is to keep it limited to 'friends and family', but to me even that could become too much if most of those sims are Elders or you play a large household and decide to move them out into the neighborhood on the same save.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I want to get calls for everyone, but with reduced sadness (e.g. +1 for 6 hours).
    We have death phone calls? :o
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    the amount of calls when the neighborhood gets older is so frustrating. call after call, notification after notification that sometimes have to be clicked several times before they go away is too much.

i mentioned on another thread that a newspaper with a death notices or replacing the mobile with a tablet that can be silenced so no calls or sms that come through would be nice.

alerts for close friends/family passing is acceptable but my sim got an SMS for a death with no sim name but a 2 day death moodlet. thats unacceptable. it needs work.
  • justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    I keep getting inundated with calls about my sim's old coworkers (with whom he never actually spoke to much) biting the dust and he's despondent for 2 days. This has already happened 4 times in a short period. I'd rather just get close family/friend death notices, it's a cool feature, but not when it depresses my sims almost constantly
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    the amount of calls when the neighborhood gets older is so frustrating. call after call, notification after notification that sometimes have to be clicked several times before they go away is too much.

i mentioned on another thread that a newspaper with a death notices or replacing the mobile with a tablet that can be silenced so no calls or sms that come through would be nice.

alerts for close friends/family passing is acceptable but my sim got an SMS for a death with no sim name but a 2 day death moodlet. thats unacceptable. it needs work.

Maybe a good way to tie it into the 'read obituaries' interaction.
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I voted for the notices to remain but maybe reduce the time the Sim is sad, if at all, for someone they just met. Nothing bugged me more about TS4 than to meet a Sim and try to find them later, and find out they were culled. So, with death notices (normally just elderly since there is no death in TS4 per se from other stuff) I would be aggravated again, for the Sim my Sim met, to no longer be in game (again) and I wouldn't know why. That was extremely annoying before death notices. And before they stopped the culling of Sims we just met.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • tulipssimmertulipssimmer Posts: 89 Member
    I hate when your in a public place and someone/pet dies and then you get all sad even though you didn't know them and you were just trying to get your cat to her vet appointment.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've gotten the death notifications for a while (the little notice at the top right corner) since I use MCCC; I had a rash of deaths in my game early on after Seasons released because of Sims jogging in cold weather and freezing to death. Since that got patched in pretty much I think all the deaths have been age related -- got a bunch of notifications but fortunately none of my current Sims knew any of the deceased.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    This is what I get right now with relationship culling anyway, and I think this is what it was supposed to work. I run the culling manually with mccc though.
  • kaykeakaykea Posts: 13 New Member
    Feel like the only calls that matter would be close family and friends, but the sadness lasts WAY too long for me, almost feels like weeks
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    It just needs to be for close friends and family. Seems more realistic that way.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited September 2018
    The first time any of my Sims ever experienced this (somewhat) was last night. Except, my Sim didn't even get a call or a notification at all, she just suddenly got the sad moodlet. I had to go look in her relationships to see who died. It was a co-worker she'd only known for a few days with limited interaction. His ghost was listed in her relationships still as a co-worker, but the next time she went to work, he was replaced with another townie. He's not in households management either.

What really bums me out is this guy had won the lottery and I was contemplating having my Sim marry him for his money and then send him to 'the deep forest' herself with one last woohoo. I know that sounds, well, cold. But hey, that's a much happier way to go for a millionaire than just dying alone of old age 'somewhere.' I don't even know where to find his urn if it even exists since he was 'not in world.' :/

Anyway, I think it would be better to only get notices for family and close friends with varying degrees of mourning depending on how strong the relationship happened to be with your Sim. I also agree that if the Sim was an enemy, you wouldn't necessarily get the sad moodlet, but perhaps happy, fine or none at all depending on how deeply the Sim was disliked and any prior relationship they may have had. I can see how that might get too complicated though so maybe that's why they just assigned a blanket 'sad' moodlet for everyone your Sim knew. I don't know...*shrugs*
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Thanks for putting up a poll about this. I'm going to link to it on my thread about community feedback about death mechanics in TS4.

I think this feature was introduced because there has been feedback about wanting Sims to react to deaths outside their households. It's a shame that the devs instituted such a "one size fits all" policy. If you click through my signature to my death feedback thread, you can see some more nuanced ideas about how they could have tailored moodlets to reflect the relationship with the Sim (e.g. an Evil Sim is happy when an Enemy dies, a Good Sim is sad they never made up).
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I hate the random texts anyway. They stop my sleeping and working sims from going high speed and I feel like if I could turn the cell phones off entirely for certain sims I would. As it is, I have to install a mod to turn them off. More texts is not at all good in my own opinion.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.