Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please save my game!

I've been having a number of issues with Sims 3 recently, and it's making my game unplayable!

I keep getting the Error Code 12 when trying to save. Sometimes I can save once, but recently I can't even get to that stage. The game just closes itself down and Origin says 'Something went wrong.' Now even the Game Launcher just closes at random. When playing the game, it's quite smooth and I can have recent graphics. I'm playing on a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite laptop. Maybe it's not meant for gaming, but I barely have anything else on the computer and it was fine until a few months ago. I have 892MB left on my computer out of 308.

I feel like I've tried all of the ways to get rid of Error Code 12 and it's just made it worse as now it's just crashing. I'm wondering whether I should just uninstall everything and reinstall it all? I don't want to lose my family or their home though, and I have a fair amount of custom content - namely clothes and a few locations and careers. I can't even scroll down the Installed Content list without it closing itself.

I did accidentally delete CCmerged.package but I restored it from my Recycle Bin. What do you think the problem is? What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited August 2018
    Have you tried saving you game by using "save as" Instead of save?
    If so, go to your electronic arts folder --- the sims 3--- saves, you'll see all your saved games in there

So for example my saved town is called los santos.
    So I would find my saved file "Los Santos.sims3" Copy and back that up.
    Next I would see one called "Los Santos.Sims3.backup" This is a back up of my save file.I would rename it to "Los Santos.sims3" by deleting the backup at the end.

can't promise that this will work, but its worth a try.Also if you notice any files in your saved folder that ends with .bad delete it, their corrupted.

Once you do that go into your game, launch your save.And play for a bit, see if any of that helps.
    You could also try restoring your CCmerged.package if that is when the trouble began.

Edit: It could also be you have too much custom content in your game.Try removing unnecessary CC and see if that speeds it up.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    I have 892MB left on my computer out of 308.
    I'm afraid this part doesn't make any sense, when it comes to drive space. How large is the drive on which TS3 is installed, and how much space is left on it? 892 MB is next to nothing, that's less than 1 GB. And 308 is what?

Error12 is an out of usable resources condition. If it's caused by RAM usage, that means the computer doesn't have enough RAM to service the game (how much have you got?), it's all tied up running other programs, or you have plenty but the game is trying to reach for more than it can possibly use.

What have you got for a graphics card?

If you don't know how to answer these questions, a full dxdiag report would provide the necessary info and more. You could run one and send it up to pastebin.com, then supply a link so we can read it if you like.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    eyesetokill25eyesetokill25 Posts: 49 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I have 892MB left on my computer out of 308.
    I'm afraid this part doesn't make any sense, when it comes to drive space. How large is the drive on which TS3 is installed, and how much space is left on it? 892 MB is next to nothing, that's less than 1 GB. And 308 is what?

Error12 is an out of usable resources condition. If it's caused by RAM usage, that means the computer doesn't have enough RAM to service the game (how much have you got?), it's all tied up running other programs, or you have plenty but the game is trying to reach for more than it can possibly use.

What have you got for a graphics card?

If you don't know how to answer these questions, a full dxdiag report would provide the necessary info and more. You could run one and send it up to pastebin.com, then supply a link so we can read it if you like.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

Sorry, I meant it the other way around. So that's 308MB free out of 892MB in my Local Disk, and apparently windows has 725GB free out of 929GB. That was fine in the past but is it not enough for Sims 3 anymore?

I don't know the name of the card, but my DirectX Diagnostic Tool says that the chip type is the:
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    DAC Type: Internal
    Approx Total memory: 1792MB
    Display memory: 32MD
    Shared memory: 1760MB
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @eyesetokill25 - Sorry, but that still makes no sense and we still have no idea how much RAM you have. Intel HD Graphics is not a dedicated graphics card, if your laptop has both kinds (dual graphics) it would be helpful to know that. Please provide a dxdiag report as indicated so we can get the full picture of the hardware you are working with.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @eyesetokill25 - Sorry, but that still makes no sense and we still have no idea how much RAM you have. Intel HD Graphics is not a dedicated graphics card, if your laptop has both kinds (dual graphics) it would be helpful to know that. Please provide a dxdiag report as indicated so we can get the full picture of the hardware you are working with.

Here you go. I've never used pastebin before so hopefully this is right: https://pastebin.com/cScdQ8Vc
    By the way, the ram is 4096MB apparently.
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm sorry, but this computer was never going to have a lot of success running TS3. It has an integrated graphics card, and not a particularly powerful one at that; and it has only 4 GB RAM, where 8 GB is recommended (and 6 GB is the bare minimum). Running a couple of early packs might be fine, especially on lower settings, but playing with any of the more demanding packs (Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF) would likely be out of the question. Even a couple of medium packs could be an issue, depending on your playstyle. You'll also need to keep your graphics settings lower and do as much as you can to manage RAM use.

The lack of memory is almost certainly the cause of your crashes, and it's manageable but not fixable. Even on startup, Windows 10 might take around 1.5 GB RAM for itself, leaving only 2.5 GB for the game and everything else you might be running. The more packs you have installed, the more game the game will need, even on startup. A longer-running game will take up more resources than a new one, a larger world will need more memory than a smaller one, more sims in the household will require more memory, etc.

Some of the things you can do to keep RAM use down are to play completely offline (if you startup through Origin, take it offline after signing in), turn off memories and the hidden object startup game, and restart your computer immediately before playing. Other strategies are detailed in this NRaas post:

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/TIPS+FOR+BETTER+GAME+PERFORMANCE

It also sounds like you have some bad custom content. That could be a significant drag on game performance as well. If you don't know how to get rid of it, please see Crinrict's post on removing it from your game:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I have to agree with @puzzlezaddict 's assessment, I'm afraid. Even with none of the heavy hitting EPs in play, ongoing games especially are going to call for more and more RAM as they progress regardless and at 4 GB total with no dedicated graphics card to take the load, the RAM just isn't there to work with.

This machine would also have originally shipped with Windows 8.1 on it. However it came to be upgraded to Win 10, I'm afraid that isn't doing it any favors either as Win 10 can use more system resources than its predecessors and some machines just don't take to the upgrade well.

You do have lots of hard drive space to work with, that's not an issue, but this laptop is really made for churning out office and school type documents and web related tasks, not so much graphics intensive games. It should be able to handle TS2 pretty well, if that's any consolation.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I have to agree with @puzzlezaddict 's assessment, I'm afraid. Even with none of the heavy hitting EPs in play, ongoing games especially are going to call for more and more RAM as they progress regardless and at 4 GB total with no dedicated graphics card to take the load, the RAM just isn't there to work with.

This machine would also have originally shipped with Windows 8.1 on it. However it came to be upgraded to Win 10, I'm afraid that isn't doing it any favors either as Win 10 can use more system resources than its predecessors and some machines just don't take to the upgrade well.

You do have lots of hard drive space to work with, that's not an issue, but this laptop is really made for churning out office and school type documents and web related tasks, not so much graphics intensive games. It should be able to handle TS2 pretty well, if that's any consolation.
    I'm sorry, but this computer was never going to have a lot of success running TS3. It has an integrated graphics card, and not a particularly powerful one at that; and it has only 4 GB RAM, where 8 GB is recommended (and 6 GB is the bare minimum). Running a couple of early packs might be fine, especially on lower settings, but playing with any of the more demanding packs (Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF) would likely be out of the question. Even a couple of medium packs could be an issue, depending on your playstyle. You'll also need to keep your graphics settings lower and do as much as you can to manage RAM use.

The lack of memory is almost certainly the cause of your crashes, and it's manageable but not fixable. Even on startup, Windows 10 might take around 1.5 GB RAM for itself, leaving only 2.5 GB for the game and everything else you might be running. The more packs you have installed, the more game the game will need, even on startup. A longer-running game will take up more resources than a new one, a larger world will need more memory than a smaller one, more sims in the household will require more memory, etc.

Some of the things you can do to keep RAM use down are to play completely offline (if you startup through Origin, take it offline after signing in), turn off memories and the hidden object startup game, and restart your computer immediately before playing. Other strategies are detailed in this NRaas post:

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/TIPS+FOR+BETTER+GAME+PERFORMANCE

It also sounds like you have some bad custom content. That could be a significant drag on game performance as well. If you don't know how to get rid of it, please see Crinrict's post on removing it from your game:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Thanks a lot for that evaluation! It was really helpful, must have been a lot for you to go through. :)

I have Ambitions, Generations, Late Night, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, and I'm playing in Roaring Heights with a 12-generation legacy and about 12 Sims in a house so I can see why it'd be impacting the memory! I've been playing it on this computer for a few years and it's been great up until this year, so I imagine that there just must be too much content. I'll definitely check out those suggestions and see it if helps.

If I'm having this problem with Sims 3, do you think I'd have the same with Sims 4? I don't have it in me to go back to Sims 2, but I was considering getting Sims 4 and their expansions/stuff packs because I heard that it's better for laptops not made for gaming. Or should I just change the way I'm playing - smaller family, small town, small lot etc?
  • Options
    For the base game only, TS4 is more processor than graphics card oriented. You might be okay there. But just like with TS3, the EPs can add to the load tremendously and the RAM/lack of graphics card are going to catch up with this one eventually. Also TS4 isn't "finished" yet, so we don't really know the impact that the future patches and EPs will have in store. In the end, both games will likely have around the same recommended requirements regardless of how they started out.

You might consider a post on the TS4 forum boards, or actually Answers HQ now since the TS4 Help section has been closed and everyone is being redirected to AHQ instead.

You cannot do anything about the lack of a graphics card on this laptop, but you might also consider upgrading the RAM on it to at least 8 GB if you know you are going to keep it for a while. But honestly, the money to do so might be better used being put towards a new computer in the future.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    MidnightKitsuneMidnightKitsune Posts: 4 New Member
    That you cannot save your game is usually related with mods and custom contents you have. I downloaded a mod which skips the intro of the game and just because of this mod, i could not save my game. My game also gave error 'Something went wrong' and closed itself because of custom contents. In addition, the more expansion and stuff packs you have the more errors you will see in the game. For example, I have Island Paradise EP and my game only runs slow in Isla Paradiso which is a town comes with the EP. Also, in Appaloosa Plains town which comes with Pets EP, my sim went home unplayable after graduating from university. Nothing went wrong while graduating. However, when she reached Appaloosa Plains, i could only see her green sim crystal symbol on her head and she never moved. All these errors originated from my original Sims 3 to which i did not installed neither custom content nor mods. To sum up, if you want to have fun while playing this game, I recommend you not to add too many thing in it because the game itself is full of errors. Note: I have 12 expansion and 1 stuff packs.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    That you cannot save your game is usually related with mods and custom contents you have. I downloaded a mod which skips the intro of the game and just because of this mod, i could not save my game. My game also gave error 'Something went wrong' and closed itself because of custom contents. In addition, the more expansion and stuff packs you have the more errors you will see in the game. For example, I have Island Paradise EP and my game only runs slow in Isla Paradiso which is a town comes with the EP. Also, in Appaloosa Plains town which comes with Pets EP, my sim went home unplayable after graduating from university. Nothing went wrong while graduating. However, when she reached Appaloosa Plains, i could only see her green sim crystal symbol on her head and she never moved. All these errors originated from my original Sims 3 to which i did not installed neither custom content nor mods. To sum up, if you want to have fun while playing this game, I recommend you not to add too many thing in it because the game itself is full of errors. Note: I have 12 expansion and 1 stuff packs.
    Hi there. It's great that you want to help your fellow players here and it's not that contributions from other players aren't valuable because they always are, but I think it might be good to take a step back on threads that have already been responded to and discussed in such a level of detail as this one has and perhaps ask where our assessments might be coming from rather than contradict them.

Yes, the OP has shown evidence of some "bad" CC from the beginning, but they are also playing a multi-generational legacy on a laptop that lacks the required resources to run the heavy hitting EPs properly. It was actually surprising that they were able to take that game as far as they had on that system, but of course different players even on similar hardware sets will have different performance results with this game. Our point was that chasing down the cause of one Error 12 as their game heads into Generation 13 or so with an overstuffed active household isn't likely to be all that helpful as more such issues will likely be just a bit further down the road with those EPs in play, 4 GB of RAM total, and no dedicated graphics card on Win 10.

A few other things in case this is helpful at all. Isla Paradiso should never be held up as an example of resource allocation or for testing the limits of one's system. The world is design-flawed and will not run correctly for just about everyone on any system unless it is fixed up first.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1

The return from travel/Uni broken travel transition issues can also happen to anyone regardless of the system they are playing on. NRaas mods (in particular Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap) tend to help immensely with preventing those.

Also, much less important but you may want to count your EPs again. There were only 11 of them for TS3. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Hi there. It's great that you want to help your fellow players here and it's not that contributions from other players aren't valuable because they always are, but I think it might be good to take a step back on threads that have already been responded to and discussed in such a level of detail as this one has and perhaps ask where our assessments might be coming from rather than contradict them.

Yes, the OP has shown evidence of some "bad" CC from the beginning, but they are also playing a multi-generational legacy on a laptop that lacks the required resources to run the heavy hitting EPs properly. It was actually surprising that they were able to take that game as far as they had on that system, but of course different players even on similar hardware sets will have different performance results with this game. Our point was that chasing down the cause of one Error 12 as their game heads into Generation 13 or so with an overstuffed active household isn't likely to be all that helpful as more such issues will likely be just a bit further down the road with those EPs in play, 4 GB of RAM total, and no dedicated graphics card on Win 10.

A few other things in case this is helpful at all. Isla Paradiso should never be held up as an example of resource allocation or for testing the limits of one's system. The world is design-flawed and will not run correctly for just about everyone on any system unless it is fixed up first.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1

The return from travel/Uni broken travel transition issues can also happen to anyone regardless of the system they are playing on. NRaas mods (in particular Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap) tend to help immensely with preventing those.

Also, much less important but you may want to count your EPs again. There were only 11 of them for TS3. :)

I briefly managed to stop the crashing by putting some of your suggestions into action. I've cleaned out some files, I restart the laptop before playing, I've turned some graphics setting down, I've made my household smaller, I play for short periods of time and restart the computer after one save... Then I tried to move my young adult Sims to university and it's crashing during the load screen. I'm still playing the same 13-gen family, but I've made their family tree show less people in the hopes that the game would forget about the older generations and save some memory... So, I'm wondering what my options are for playing a normal, smooth Sims game?

1. Increase my RAM - I've read that for my laptop, I might only be able to boost it by another 3.5GB though, I'm not sure whether that'd be enough to make a difference?

2. Buy a gaming laptop.

3. Delete my saved games, start a new one in a small town with a small family?

4. Remove Sims with lot of ancestry from the household?

5. Go back to Windows 8?

6. Uninstall some EP's (is there any way to do that and save your family)? I don't use Isla Paradiso anyway, my Sims are in Roaring Heights.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @eyesetokill25 - Your laptop has two RAM slots that can take up to 8 GB each, for a total of 16 GB. That would be kind of an expensive upgrade, perhaps 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) would be more economical if you can add a second 4 GB chip to the one you already have; it must be exactly the same type of RAM so check with the manufacturer. But honestly, if your play style requires multi-generational long lasting ongoing games like this one, you're always going to run into limitations with no dedicated graphics card. Integrated puts much more stress on RAM usage and, even when you have plenty available for both Windows and the game to access, the game itself can only use ~3.7 GB before it loses its mind upon reaching for more and crashes or constantly Error12s on trying to save (similar for the travel transitions). Once sufficient RAM is in place to work with, the object then becomes keeping the game's usage under the limit rather than allowing it to use more than it is able to.

Graphics cards cannot be upgraded on most laptops, only some of the very high-end ones would allow this.

You can get some play out of TS3 with the laptop you have as you have already experienced and more RAM will help a little. So would the NRaas mods designed to improve performance. But you would likely have to compromise on how far these games can realistically be expected to be carried on this machine. I would vote for a stronger system if one is at all within reach.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    PurpleThistlesPurpleThistles Posts: 618 Member
    When was the last time you updated your drivers? Go to intel website and download their driver tool. Run it and chances are you have out of date drivers.

Download advanced system care, it’s free, install and run a scan, it will clean up your computer. You can uninstall the program after use.

Run task manager, by pressing control, alt and delete together and selecting it from the list. Go to performance tab and tell me what your Disk is running at. There is a bug in windows 10 which can mean your disk is always running at 100%.
  • Options
    MidnightKitsuneMidnightKitsune Posts: 4 New Member
    Thank you for your response @igazor . As you said, there are 11 EPs. I must have counted the SP while writing. My laptop has 16 gb ram, win 10 and an updated GeForce 1050 and still I have problems with the game. These problems are already discussed in forums and so many people suffer. It was my experience that i could not save my game after adding a mod and after deleting it, my game worked properly. I just RECOMMENDED to clear these files. It is up to people who read my comment. After these experiences, I decided not to add anything to my original game. Because I also realised that I cannot save my game after using "moveObjects" cheat and this cheat is frequently used in custom contents. When I placed an object into another, I could not save the game. If I am to give example from Isla Paradiso, the fixes on the internet try to solve the lag by changing objects' place. I would rather destroying these faulty houses before I starting the game instead of downloading files and now my island works well. What I mean is that even where you put objects has great importance in this game because other sims can be affected by it. This issue causes lag and even prevent you to save your game. I just hope to help people while writing this comment. Thank you for reading.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @MidnightKitsune - I am sorry that you are/were having issues with adding such content to your game. From the sound of it, unlike the OP on this thread your current hardware is more than sufficient to run it with all EPs in play although it will need some help in the area of capping the frame rate on that GTX 1050 if you have not already taken those steps. Unlike more modern games, TS3 has no built in fps limiter and the modern more powerful graphics cards will run wild on it thus causing all kinds of in-game issues including potentially damaging the card over time by making it work far too hard for no reason. Again, the OP has insufficient RAM and no dedicated graphics card so their issues are not the same.

If you have not taken those steps with the Nvidia Control Panel (and Nvidia Inspector if necessary) and would like any assistance with that for yourself, please feel free to post on the New Members thread on the TS3 Tech Discussions board.

It would appear that we are approaching this thread from very different vantage points. Having been an admin at NRaas for many years now where our TS3 mods are produced and supported by professional programmers with many of them designed specifically to improve game performance rather than ruin it, I believe I have worked with enough players (thousands?) between here and there and at MTS to be qualified to say that merely adding the mods framework and what should be a harmless No Intro mod should not have any negative impact on the game whatsoever, provided this is all done properly. MoveObjectsOn, on the other hand, is not always safe to use and and I would agree that it should be avoided at all costs if one is having issues with it. The issues with Isla Paradiso are already well-documented and the solutions provided on the thread I linked to are what will work for most who try it if they have sufficient hardware to support the EP.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!