Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love genetics!

Comments

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Deshong04 Thanks for sharing pics of your sims and their kids :)
    When you say "grandfather's lip shape", what do you mean? Is it possible that they inherited the mouth from the mother but, because male and female features look slightly different even with the same slider positions, that they actually inherited the mother's mouth? I could be wrong but I am fairly sure that facial features come only from the parents but colouring can come from the grandparents.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member

When comparing the lip shape of the mother and father it doesn't exactly match and resembles the grandfather's lip shape more.

Parents
    Chi_Cairo_Jean.jpg
    Grandfather
    Cairo_and_Kibwe.jpg

Slightly thicker lips but not as thick as his father's.
    Nakuru_Chi.jpg

Actually inherited his grandmother's eye color and Chi has the same eye shape that he got from his father. Still working on documenting all their genetic comparisons so it's easy for me to get mixed up going by my memory.)
    Cairo_and_Fatima.jpg

===
    Just checked out the CAS sliders of both Cairo and Nakuru and it all states 0 which their mother also has because she is basic. However, starting off with different mouth presets despite using the same sliders and numeric values (If NRass MC is installed) will not have the exact lip shape. This example is difficult to determine because of the use of a basic Sim. Regardless, I think the preset mouth shape still closely resembles the grandfather. But I'll provide another observation with Sims I created.
    ===

Another example from a different family with grandparents.
    Grandson and Grandfather
    Leo_and_Nathaniel.jpg

Parents
    Paige_Leo_Obi.jpg

Now I've also checked out the parents, the son, and grandfather's lip shape in CAS.

Nathaniel-The Grandfather

mouth corner depth -44
    mouth corners rotate 74
    mouth curve 135
    mouth definition 162
    mouth depth 132
    mouth height -244
    mouth width -6
    upper lip thickness -56
    upper lip width 9
    lower lip shape -26
    lower lip thickness 59
    lower lip width 256

Leo-The Grandson
    Exactly the same except mouth height which is -256

Paige-The Mother
    Exactly the same except mouth height which is -256

Obi-The Father
    mouth curve 100
    mouth definition 200
    mouth depth 200
    mouth height -300
    mouth width 300
    upper lip shape 300
    upper lip width -200
    lower lip thickness 400
    lower lip width 400

Now the grandfather, daughter and grandson all have pretty much the exact same numeric values so what do I think? Well, I think it's fascinating to have the same DNA but still portray very specific nuances in appearance. In this case, I'm going to go with what I see and what I see is that it is possible for the 3rd generation to inherit a physical characteristic from the 1st generation.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Often the look of the features is dependent on the skin being used. I presume both grandfather and grandson are using the same skin while the mother is using a different one. Even if the skin is the same the male and female features are usually rendered different.
    If the numbers are the same then they are the same. The only difference would be that male and female features, although they may share the same slider positions, look different. I still don't believe that features are inherited from grandparents. Of course, you are allowed to believe whatever you wish.
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member
    @Mikezumi thank you!
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • bebasimbebasim Posts: 581 Member
    I've been playing Erin Kenney (family) as i had a massive game corruption so while i'm testing game CC and mods i'm playing this family in the mean time. However as i love genetics i'm documenting their genetic make as i'm going.... not sure how many gens i'll get through until i can clear up the game issues... but here is what i have got so far.

Erin and Beau Kennedy (and their 4 children: L to R - Bethany, Darian, Fabian & Tuesday) Front and Side views
    erinbeaugen1sml.jpg
    erinbeaugen1sdesml.jpg

Fabian & Jammie Kennedy (6 children: L to R - Anneka, Luka, Amethyst, Ronan, Amber & Thor) Front & Side views
    fabianjammiegen2fntsml.jpg
    fabianjammiegen2sdesml.jpg

@bebasim Your family looks great so far! I would never have thought to start a save with Erin Kennedy but I like what you did with her!
    Sorry about your game corruption :( Do you have any idea what caused the corruption? I hope you can get to the bottom of it and fix it up soon *hugs*
  • junipertreesjunipertrees Posts: 43 Member
    The longest save I've played went to 4 generations..

Generation 1 & 2
    rBEEJyL.jpg

Generation 3 (Sisters & their own families)
    XszQxR6.jpg
    0TNUXhO.jpg

Sadly, I took a big break from Sims and ended up deleting this huge family XD The sims cycle..
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited September 2018
    Edit: Oops.... Just realized this was for sims 3. Sorry!!!
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
    edited October 2018
    Mortimer Goth and Connor Frio just had a son, Cort :)

Mortimer
    29840089737_de02175924_o.jpg
    I thought I had a close-up of Connor but I don't. Here he is with his brother, Jared.
    44366122612_aae45b642e_o.jpg
    This is Cort. Without looking at the sliders, I can see that he has Morty's eyes and Connor's nose and mouth. I will post pics as he grows if I continue with the save.
    Edit to add: He was born with Cornelia's purple hair but I used the Consort Hair Colour mod to blend his fathers' hair.
    31197748938_e9e7f03165_o.jpg
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
    Jared Frio and Alec Hardman, a sim I made recently, just had a baby girl, Lara. All she got from Jared is his eye colour and mouth.

Alec
    30842525978_75c29c6f51_o.jpg

Lara :)
    44370955644_e6821e86d1_o.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    Well, one of the members of Generation 3 (Founder's Grandchildren) has grown into teen-age years.
    Introducing Karina Johansson-Chikamori - (Other members of the family have had kids prior to the founder having them - I'll post up the family tree later)
    Screenshot-143.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Cort and Lara are now children.
    43462767540_6a524b97c4_o.jpg
    Lara's lips definitely show she's Jared's daughter :D
    44656359624_0cf26eec4a_o.jpg
  • FrigidChickFrigidChick Posts: 59 Member
    A couple of families I manage to copy from my old rig. I can't wait to continue them in the new save.

Aria & Baby Joker with their daughters (Rayne & Rina):
    lzVajAy.jpg

Joker's older brother, Legion with his wife Jada:
    P5PPjRa.jpg

Their sons (Liam & Micahel)
    yMYpAjs.jpg

Another family: Jack and Veronica:
    G9nLlk5.jpg

& their sons Piers & Jupiter:
    DRwBlSL.jpg
    @FrigidChick Lovely looking sims :) I'm glad you were able to save your sims from your old rig and I hope you continue to have fun with them :)
  • FrigidChickFrigidChick Posts: 59 Member
    I finally finished my Ian Somerhalder sim last night and, although he is not genetically viable, I can't wait to play him. Let's hope he only has boys ;)

Ian
    45403584491_347e192c31_o.jpg
    Ian gender switched
    44500124655_b46117f550_o.jpg
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer Karina aged up well :)
    What's confusing me is that Karina got red hair. Her Mom (Greta) is blonde (you can see Karina's facial resemblance to her mom) and her dad, Braden, has his dad's (Haruo) black hair. Maybe she got it from her Grandma River?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited October 2018
    @Nikkei_Simmer Random mutations in hair and eye colour happen all the time, hence the horrible baby poo green hair that pops up. I have found that the more generations I play, the less likely I will get random hair colours although eye colour seems to forever drive me insane when I am doing townie birthdays and see the preset colours which I know none of my sims have because I simply don't use presets.
    edited October 2018
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @Nikkei_Simmer Random mutations in hair and eye colour happen all the time, hence the horrible baby poo green hair that pops up. I have found that the more generations I play, the less likely I will get random hair colours although eye colour seems to forever drive me insane when I am doing townie birthdays and see the preset colours which I know none of my sims have because I simply don't use presets.

I've been fortunate that I have yet to run across that horrid poo-green hair. Of course Molly had it, but her offspring seem to have missed that curse - they all have red hair. And evidently, red hair appears to be pretty strong across the board because most of the third generation have red hair.

ChikamoriFamilyTree_10-18-2018.jpg
    The "red" is strong in this family - would you believe that the second generation was half-"asian" sim and half "caucasian" sim?
    ...and by the third generation...8 out of 10 grandchildren have red-hair.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Since sims don't have different ethnicity except in our minds the fact that they have red hair doesn't surprise me at all. There are no dominant genes in this game, although there are some who believe there are.
    Lachie (my current heir) as a young adult. He is currently an adult.
    42167210874_9dcc466305_o.jpg
    Alvin is Lachie's husband. He is descended from both Jared and Connor Frio. I believe Jared is his great-great-grandfather and Connor is his great-grandfather.
    29021833138_ce8896ec5b_o.jpg
    Alpin, the eldest son of Lachie and Alvin, just aged up to teen :) He is mostly Lachie but has Alvin's mouth. Not sure about the face shape without looking at slider positions but it does look more like Lachie's.
    44763730174_21d4b1cc31_o.jpg
  • wsteffi30wsteffi30 Posts: 115 Member

It's been a while since I posted here but I thought I'd go ahead and post pictures of two of my sims from my current game. I'm waiting for their children to age up to get pictures of them.

This is Lisa Shapiro
    7JPA0Jh.jpg

This is her husband Jerome Burns
    Ftin1Px.png