Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Welcome Wagon: Why Fruitcake?

worldofdrakanworldofdrakan Posts: 329 Member
edited September 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
You know, I think I would like the welcome wagon a lot more if the neighbors didn't always insist on bringing a fruitcake with them. Why couldn't it have been something tasty like cookies, a cake, anything but fruitcake! And no, I don't particularly like cancelling the event either, because it always results in a really petty relationship loss with ALL of the neighbors. "Guess we're not wanted here," they say. Not when you have a fruitcake, I don't! Seriously, I've never once had a sim who actually LIKES fruitcake. Not to mention that bug where the reaction for fruitcake gets stuck for all foods after a Sim eats it.

I actually ended up installing a mod that disables the welcome wagon entirely.

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited September 2018
    I think the fruitcake is supposed to be a joke, kind of a tongue in cheek thing because so few people irl seem to like it, and there are a lot of jokes about people re-gifting fruitcake they receive. I have had foodie Sims who on occasion like it, but now that we have the bug in game where eating it causes what ever reaction they have to it good or bad apply to everything they eat ever after, I have been watching like a hawk for it to get set down so I can immediately "magic hand" it straight into the trash.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I used to do as well.

"Hey, what happened to the fruitcake?"

"Fruitcake? What fruitcake? I don't know what you're talking about."
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Thanks for the mod, I hate the welcome wagon. Most of the time I just ignore them until they're gone but removing it is better.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I had no idea there was a bug involving fruitcake.

I just put the fruitcake in the fridge after they leave and my Sim will eat on it for days. Even if they get an uncomfortable moodlet, I don’t really mind.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    That bug with fruitcake only happens if you cancel the interaction of eating fruitcake while they're eating it. How do I know this? I had the same bug months ago and posted in the same AHQ thread where the workaround was to force feed them a slice of fruitcake and make sure they finish it all - no cancelling it. That will remove the bug in question.

As for why fruitcake for welcome wagons? Well that's just for giggles.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Oh, thanks for the heads up @paradiseplanet, I did in fact cancel the action and my sim ended up hating everything he ate after that. I will remember to let them finish from now on, because I actually like seeing their reactions.
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    I don't mind the Welcome Wagon, or the fruitcake, my sims seem to like it about half the time.

If I recall the fruitcake was originally in the TS1, welcoming sims would either bring that or a jar of flowers, and those were the days when you had to actually water houseplants.

Am I the only person who actually likes fruitcake? Especially dark and rich like a proper wedding cake or a Christmas pud, not that I eat much of it these days as the fruit is quite high in Potassium. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I don't mind the Welcome Wagon, or the fruitcake, my sims seem to like it about half the time.

If I recall the fruitcake was originally in the TS1, welcoming sims would either bring that or a jar of flowers, and those were the days when you had to actually water houseplants.

Am I the only person who actually likes fruitcake? Especially dark and rich like a proper wedding cake or a Christmas pud, not that I eat much of it these days as the fruit is quite high in Potassium. :smile:

Only if my mother made it ;)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It’s a throwback to the sims 1
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Because fruitcake is funny and controversial it's a love or hate thing with most people. I always have my sim try it.. since it doesn't go bad it's a good snack to have around if your sim does like it. It's also a good food for prisoners... whether they like it or not. Not that I would know anything about that... Personally I'm a "hate it" person but I like it in my game. It's about the only reason I tolerate the welcome wagon.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    If it's well made, and nice and moist, I might eat it. I've got ruinously high standards when it comes to fruitcake.
    I love my mums christmas pud, with custard.
    Most people have no idea how to make a good fruitcake, and they fail to soak it right.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2018
    Friendship cake would be much better. You could have the sims make starter and pass it along to other sims.

I have eaten fruitcake. Some are better then others. It has never been my first choice though. I doubt it is the sims either.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I like fruitcake. I don't get why so many sims don't.
  • Options
    ArtArt Posts: 140 Member
    My sim love the fruitcake.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I love the fruitcake. It's free food. lol using a mod though I've had other sims regift it as well. I know it's not for everyone. Honestly half of the time I will just have my sims ignore the welcome wagon, and continue doing their own thing.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited September 2018
    Too bad there wasn't an animation in TS4 where you could use it as a "doorstop". :p
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Too bad there wasn't an animation in TS4 where you could use it as a "doorstop". :p

That would be hilarious! 😂
  • Options
    SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    Personally myself and my family love fruitcake. My Nana always made amazing one's, it's a family tradition. We often eat it with cheese. Like any baked item, I always think the reason most people dislike it is because they've never had one that is well made. It's like battenburg, all the shop bought stuff is really disgusting. If you have a homemade one with properly made marzipan (with real almonds not crappy almond essence), it's amazing! :) I actually find it quite sad that no one seems to like the fruitcake in the game, as I love it. They should bring round a hamper instead.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    I actually like the fruitcake and the welcome wagon. Usually what I do after a welcome wagon comes to my house is when I move in another townie into my sims neighborhood I will have my sim whip up something to take to their place in the same sort of way and I leave the food there. But of course not fruitcake. Usually it's brownies or cookies lol. Idk maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like the idea of neighbors welcoming new neighbors. I remember when my husband and I moved into a house we were renting after we had our son and the owner surprised us with a turkey for Thanksgiving. It so thoughtful. Now I'm not saying fruitcakes are turkey lol but I've always like the idea of welcoming a new neighbor into the neighborhood
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Are you kidding? The best part about the welcome wagon is when the Sim that brings the fruitcake hates it! :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    I love fruitcake in the sims it's the only non perishable food. You don't even have to store it in the fridge, it won't ever go bad.

I have half a mind to build a bunker for a sim somewhere and fill it with fruitcakes and those Jungle Adventure bottles.
    Let's hope that sim will be one of the few to actually like eating it (I have several of these actually).
  • Options
    thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited October 2018
    I don't mind it, it gives my Sim something free to eat for a few days when they first move in and are still broke, even if they hate it. I still cancel out the Welcome Wagon event half the time though because I don't always want my Sim forced into friendship with the neighbors.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I don't mind it, it gives my Sim something free to eat for a few days when they first move in and are still broke, even if they hate it. I still cancel out the Welcome Wagon event half the time though because I don't always want my Sim forced into friendship with the neighbors.

Honestly, I'm starting to realize that the fruitcake isn't actually my biggest problem with the welcome wagon. What this thread really should've been about is how cancelling it results in a relationship loss with every one of your neighbors. Not only that, but it also happens if the welcome wagon prompts while your Sim is at work or something and actually can't invite them in. They leave still leave in a huff and insist that they must not be wanted, putting your Sim's relationship with them in the red. Seriously people?

I'm starting to wonder if I should make a thread for that.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I like english fruit cake. It tastes amazing.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1