Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We're not dead yet! Pack for elders

Comments

• sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    This would be so awesome! Lots of great ideas. I agree that the elders in the game don't really have anything special going on, except that they survived culling and the whims of the player. What do Sims actually do when they get old except wait to die? Where is the retirement and the "Golden Years"? There is already that reward trait that boost skills of family members, maybe elders can get it automatically when they age up? That should be fairly easy to implement.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    cyncla wrote: »
    I'm an older Sim player , elderly - depends on your age range for that. My husband , who is 7 yrs. older also plays. A lot of the stuff mentioned here would be wonderful but is very stereotypical. Right now I have short funky hair, wearing a David Bowie tee shirt and jeans with flip flops , I like to be comfortable and love Bowie, my husband was in a rock band in his younger days. There is a LARGE generation of us around that are at the edge of, or just, elderly - different styles are needed for sure.
    Even after having said all that - I would so buy this , like BAM!

You make a good point. But the thing I'm wondering is - if you wanted to create a Sim fitting your (awesome) description of yourself as an Elder in TS4, would you broadly already have a lot of the tools to do that? Listening to rock music, having cool hair, and wearing comfy clothes aren't really exclusive to any particular age group, whereas I guess a lot of the activities being described here, while stereotypical, do fit a lot of elderly people and just don't exist in the game.

@dg51829 You make good points too. I guess the Sims started off as a parody of midcentury American culture and, while the time period part has changed, it's always had a sort of (semi-imaginary) "mainstream US" as its focus. You say it would be difficult to make a pack catered just to elders because they're treated differently in different cultures, but you could say that about almost any pack in the Sims.
  • sooozeeebeeesooozeeebeee Posts: 665 Member
    If game designers only made games that pleased everyone....we would not have any games at all. An elder oriented pack of some sort would add much to game play for many people. Is it top of my list? No, but I would be thrilled to add it to my game if one was made.
  • ReveryRevery Posts: 166 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    And grandma's second best tea set
    s977744376236880893_p4_i2_w402.jpeg

New sport activities for up to four players
    Croquet
    Bocce

Vintage radio station, and new dances to go with it!

I love these ideas in particular. Activities like croquet would be sooo much fun to watch and would add some action to elders' lives.

If a Generations type ep ever comes, I hope they consider fleshing out this live stage more.

• Krisha880Krisha880 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Sign me up! I'd love this in my game! :D
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited October 2016

I would buy the pack just to save my sims from dying alone. I don't want my sims to do that :|
    Getting notified when a played sim is about to die from old age would be great.

It is such a hassle trying to remember to logg out into household management just to make sure that all the oldies are still living when you play a rotational save with a dynasty. There are more sims than what fits into a household.

I want extra-stuff between grandparents and their children. And something special for elders in group. It is so nice watching little groups of old ladies sitting together having a laugh.

Edit: Quoting-fail
    I would buy the pack just to save my sims from dying alone. I don't want my sims to do that :|

It is such a hassle trying to remember to logg out into household management just to make sure that all the oldies are still living when you play a rotational save with a dynasty. There are more sims than what fits into a household.

I want extra-stuff between grandparents and their children. And something special for elders in group. It is so nice watching little groups of old ladies sitting together having a laugh.

I'm a huge advocate for the game notifying you when Sims are going to die. Or at least, letting you know when they die - MCCC can do this, so I see no reason why the game can't. If you want to see more about that topic, you can check out the link to "The Problems with Death" thread in my signature.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Terra wrote: »

I'm a huge advocate for the game notifying you when Sims are going to die. Or at least, letting you know when they die - MCCC can do this, so I see no reason why the game can't. If you want to see more about that topic, you can check out the link to "The Problems with Death" thread in my signature.

Wasn't it TS3 that would tell you that other sims were getting old, and might not be around for much longer, so you should catch up with them?
    And I think both 2 and 3 notify you when a friend has died.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited October 2016
    Movotti wrote: »
    Terra wrote: »

Wasn't it TS3 that would tell you that other sims were getting old, and might not be around for much longer, so you should catch up with them?
    And I think both 2 and 3 notify you when a friend has died.

Yeah, I really liked that in Sims 3. I don't remember with 2 because your played Sims never die while you're not controlling them since aging isn't universal. But I think what would happen is that if you were playing a Sim and they died, you'd go into a different household and play their friend and get an inheritance notification if they were rich and had a high relationship. I don't know if they got memories for all deaths - maybe only ones they witnessed?
  • dg51829dg51829 Posts: 300 Member
    The other thing I would have to get to buy a pack like this a funeral party. All things have to end. I would love to have several different 'mood' settings like 'happy' wake talking about good memories, a more traditional morse one, and special one that works for players not in America in a generalized party style.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Absolutely!
    I had a thread about this a few years ago, before 4 got released. Of course now I can see that some of my suggestions can't be, like bouncing a toddler on their knee or racing hoverrounds...
    But maybe there is still hope for 'take dentures out and scare the bejeebus outta the grandchildren'. I appreciated how elders were different in 2, how their bladders needed more frequent emptying, how their sleep patterns differed from those of the younger set. I still hope for those kinds of differentiation between the ages. If not this go-'round, then perhaps the next. Yes, I am aware that what I hope for is stereotyping but by the time 5 rolls around I'm pretty much gonna be stereotyping my own age group - or very close to it.

I do want to see special recipes that only grandparents can make. Grandmother's cookies should give you the warm fuzzies. Grandfathers should impart priceless fishing knowledge when taking a grandchild out to a local fishing hole, boost along the fishing skill faster and entertain with fishing stories and the one that got away.

I'd like to see a nostalgic buff when visiting the home of your elders. Meh, maybe even a 'smells like old people' one as well. Make it different. Make it funny. Make elders great again.

#pullmyfinger
  • EllomiSimmerEllomiSimmer Posts: 33 Member
    I wish we had more stuff for elders! I would make them do gardening, but wait. It's only 5 mins and then they become at risk of death.

It would be cool if they could take some medicine that gave them more vigor.
  • Autumn_CatsAutumn_Cats Posts: 347 Member
    Yes! I mean we got one for kids, why not elders?
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I would love to see,

staircase chair lift
    walking sticks
    quilt making, clothing with wool
    tea and cakes
    that hobby to jar up food like, jams, pickle
    bingo venue
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• TayTayGeeTayTayGee Posts: 313 Member
    I SUPPORT THIS!!!! Maybe this could be added in a generations ep?
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Eletric Mobility Scooter and Adjustable Beds.
  • MekoSharkMekoShark Posts: 161 Member
    LOL @ The title of this thread :D
    Sharks need love too 🦈

• applehartapplehart Posts: 83 Member
    @MekoShark hahaha, I came here to say exactly that.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes please!!!! I would loooove this pack

Also I want them to knit while watching TV and have other hobbies like other crafts and birdwatching for example.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Bird watching... I hadn't thought of that.
    Trainspotting, too, perhaps. (the hobby, not the movie)
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • altkt075altkt075 Posts: 97 Member
    I loooove this thread. Love all the ideas.
  • LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    Can we please get this already :lol:
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’m good luv, enjoy
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited September 2018
    I mean, look at these ladies and don't tell me you don't want to give them some toughtful content
    bc2wtVi.jpg

There was also this great thread some time ago with ideas for elderly ladies specifically.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • NoName123NoName123 Posts: 25 Member
    How about a retirement pack where elders can choose vacation destinations or retirement villages to visit. They would have activities ranging from putting on a play at a local theater to learning to ride a llama, or surfing with sharks.

Now this is idea is morbid, so if I'm completely off the wall just tell me. Maybe they can have more interaction opportunities with death. Like death walks by more frequently but they have more options on how to deal with him. They can throw shoes at him, scare him off, and be a general pain in the butt to death. They may also have more friendly interactions that actually build up and after a certain level death will let friends who have past on come to their lot to visit . Again I might be completely off the wall as we want to focus on life and not on death. However, considering we do have ghosts I feel like death isn't necessarily the end in sims.