The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Big lots lagging

If I use eg.: 64*64 lots with nice huge buildings on them my game starts lagging. I mean for example my sims don't move, sometimes time stoppes as well... so big lots are unplayable. But with small lots I have no problem and the game runs fastly without a problem.. What can I do with this? I would like to play with the big lots too..

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Perhaps try your graphics settings? Lowering them may help with the lagging on the larger lots. Perhaps also your computer is not up to specs to be able to properly load larger lots. Also if it is a residential lot that you live in that is lagging, try checking their Sim inventories. High amounts of items in Sim inventories can also make lag on large lots worse. Also do take in mind that there is a general 20-Sim limit to prevent lag on all lots; you may have a problem with a mix of these.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Odd - I never get lag in the Sims 4. Maybe it's either bad CC and mods or an underpowered pc issues. I run a very high end 8 core desktop and this is now a 64 bit game -- where as it was just 32 bit before C&D.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I have a gaming laptop and I get lag on the larger lots too. The 64x64 lots in Windenburg are mostly okay, but the lot in Brindleton Bay is impossible for me to play. My sims freeze during almost every action.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Vikimicike wrote: »
    If I use eg.: 64*64 lots with nice huge buildings on them my game starts lagging. I mean for example my sims don't move, sometimes time stoppes as well... so big lots are unplayable. But with small lots I have no problem and the game runs fastly without a problem.. What can I do with this? I would like to play with the big lots too..

Reducing graphics might help. Most of the lag on large lots is because your computer has to calculate information about all the interactable objects, and do it regularly. The more interactable objects, the more calculations, and not everyone's computer can keep up with that. What are your computer specs?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I have a gaming laptop and I get lag on the larger lots too. The 64x64 lots in Windenburg are mostly okay, but the lot in Brindleton Bay is impossible for me to play. My sims freeze during almost every action.

The 64x64 lot in Brindleton Bay might be laggy because not only are there ten ton of trees in that area (which seems to always make my PC fan go wild in TS4) but there’s also the beach with water animations etc all happening while you’re playing.

The 64x64 lot in the Windenburg island has very little to no backdrop, so effectively that will reduce strain.

And for some weird reason, the Old Town and Countryside areas of Windenburg have progressing loading available, so a lot of details like grass and plants and shadows don’t load until you move the camera over, while the rest of the game doesn’t seem to have it in my experience.

It’s really weird how they program each area differently.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    When I play on a game PC the 64x64 lot in Brindleton Bay lags a lot. I had a freeze that took hours! Maybe tone down your graphic settings. I don't think there's any other option. It's a demanding neighbourhood with all the trees and the ocean.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    When you build large houses do you clutter them? I find that the less you use the moveobjects cheat the less laggy the houses are. Also pick your sims' hobbies and only add those objects. If you have tons and tons of interactable objects it might also cause lag.

Also, keep your tray folder as clean as possible and turn online features off. That can also reduce lagging :) lastly, if all else fails try reducing the graphics settings.

What CPU do you have?
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    And for some weird reason, the Old Town and Countryside areas of Windenburg have progressing loading available, so a lot of details like grass and plants and shadows don’t load until you move the camera over, while the rest of the game doesn’t seem to have it in my experience.

It’s based on distance. If you edit the LOD value in GraphicsRules.sgr to 0 then everything will always be loaded (except shadows, which are implemented using cascaded shadow mapping and you’d need to edit the values in client tuning to change how they behave).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Hmm, also playing on a gaming rig here, and the only neighborhood I am having ''stutter/lag'' issues with is Caveliers Cove. (that one with the beach).

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but when Sims are walking around and cars driving by, they sometimes have little micro stutters between their walking animations and the cars also sometimes micro stutter for very short period.

Absolutely no problems in any other hood or world here.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    It also lags in my game, and my Notebook os not even bad. :C
    @rudy8292 wrote: »
    Hmm, also playing on a gaming rig here, and the only neighborhood I am having ''stutter/lag'' issues with is Caveliers Cove. (that one with the beach).

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but when Sims are walking around and cars driving by, they sometimes have little micro stutters between their walking animations and the cars also sometimes micro stutter for very short period.

Absolutely no problems in any other hood or world here.

I honestly think it has something to do with all the trees. I don’t get any lag when I have viewing distance set to low, and yet when it’s on high, I get dropped frames especially when I’m on the tree side rather than the ocean side. My game speeds up when I’m on the beach looking at the ocean.

From my understanding, a lot of the worlds use a lot of 2D trees behind the 3D ones (like in the jungle) but this one area has an abundance of 3D trees across the whole map.

I could be wrong, but I feel like those trees are constantly popping in and out which may cause the frame rate drops?
    @elelunicy wrote: »

It’s based on distance. If you edit the LOD value in GraphicsRules.sgr to 0 then everything will always be loaded (except shadows, which are implemented using cascaded shadow mapping and you’d need to edit the values in client tuning to change how they behave).

This is good to know. I noticed playing Jungle Adventure that half of the worlds assests (trees, rocks) keep appearing and disappearing and it’s quite jarring as a lot of the rocks cover parts of the world that have 0 terrain. Is it to do with these files?

All my settings are on max but I do have laptop mode enabled.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2018
    Are you on a Laptop? I play on top graphics for my PC and I never get lag. Sometimes things appear and disappear because of the angle you look at them from.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    My game used to lag heavily whenever I added a lot of items on it, didn't matter what size lot it was.

I have since upgraded my computer and have not gone crazy with my items so I have no idea if a new computer made a difference.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    @elelunicy wrote: »

This is good to know. I noticed playing Jungle Adventure that half of the worlds assests (trees, rocks) keep appearing and disappearing and it’s quite jarring as a lot of the rocks cover parts of the world that have 0 terrain. Is it to do with these files?

All my settings are on max but I do have laptop mode enabled.

If they disappear when they're too far away and then reappear as you get closer, then yes, LOD is what's causing it.

Using laptop mode makes zero sense if you want maxed out settings. Laptop mode isn't some special mode designed for laptops. It's just an option that forces the game to use lowered settings, even if you set them to max. For instance the game won't render outdoor shadows if you have laptop mode on.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Imagine how bad it would be if they opened up districts of in all the neighborhoods.