March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC in subfolders?

Comments

• StaticSimStaticSim Posts: 19 Member
    > @Darkshadow73 said:
    > > @Ivaine18 said:
    > > Hey you guys :)
    > > I am a player for 8 years and still have issues with that subfolder thing.
    > > I know I can create them, but can I create a subfolder in a subfolder?
    > > Like this : Mods->CAS->Hair->.package
    > > At the moment it looks like this : Mods->CAS->.package
    > > It would be easier to organize all my CC, if it would be possible to create a subfolder in my subfolders :D
    >
    > If you want to have Sub-folders in you mods folder make sure you have the file Resource.cfg.
    > And if you don't you can create one using Notepad++
    > And you would type everything like this
    > Priority 500
    > PackedFile *.package
    > PackedFile */*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    > PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package
    >
    > and save the file name as this Resource.cfg
    > And make sure the file extension is .cfg and not .txt

This this this. You don't want to go too deep into folders, otherwise you risk the game not being able to find it. I was experiencing that with a mod recently where the only reason it wasn't working was how many folders deep it is. Someone else mentioned keeping Script mods in the main folder, which is a great idea, but I have so many I think I'd lose those, too. Oops.
  • blueruby4484blueruby4484 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hey, guys is it safe to put it in a subfolder on windows 10? Mine disappeared when I did it.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,773 Member
    Hey, guys is it safe to put it in a subfolder on windows 10? Mine disappeared when I did it.

Subfolders are fine for CC. Some mods may not run if you put them in subfolders so I would suggest putting mods directly into the Mods folder.

If your content is disappearing do you have One Drive? One Drive creates duplicate game files and causes mass confusion. Try searching for the file you have created and see where it is actually located.
    No I don't have one drive, but I'll just put it directly in the mods file.
    Thx 4 trying to help. :)
    > @Bananas_45 said:
    > blueruby4484 wrote: »
    >
    > Hey, guys is it safe to put it in a subfolder on windows 10? Mine disappeared when I did it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Subfolders are fine for CC. Some mods may not run if you put them in subfolders so I would suggest putting mods directly into the Mods folder.
    >
    > If your content is disappearing do you have One Drive? One Drive creates duplicate game files and causes mass confusion. Try searching for the file you have created and see where it is actually located.

Thanks for helping, but I found out why. My CC/Mods wasn't turned on in the game. THX!
  • justsomesimsjustsomesims Posts: 2 New Member
    What I've tried is copying and pasting a resource.cfg file into where my subfolders get super subby - e.g. mods -> "fan packs" -> "garden stuff" -> even more subfolders (CAS, BUILD etc). Resource files stop where the subfoldrs stop. seems to work so far?
  • justsomesimsjustsomesims Posts: 2 New Member
    > @justsomesims said:
    > What I've tried is copying and pasting a resource.cfg file into where my subfolders get super subby - e.g. mods -> "fan packs" -> "garden stuff" -> even more subfolders (CAS, BUILD etc). Resource files stop where the subfoldrs stop. seems to work so far?

Hahahaha never mind ignore this
  • fcurtifcurti Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi everyone, I accidentally deleted my resource.cfg file on my mac, and I have restarted the game many times and a new one does not appear. What should I do? Thank you!!!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    fcurti wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I accidentally deleted my resource.cfg file on my mac, and I have restarted the game many times and a new one does not appear. What should I do? Thank you!!!

Hello @fcurti
    Try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop. Launch the game, and see if a new mods folder is generated in the sims 4 folder. It should contain a resource.cfg file.
    If a resource.cfg file is not generated, the game may be using a different mods folder than the correct one in Documents-Electronic Arts -Sims 4 folder
    Try using the search feature on your Mac to see if an extra mods folder has been generated somewhere else on your Mac.
  • Kitkat1515Kitkat1515 Posts: 5 New Member
    How many sub-folders can I have in my Mods Folder? I like to organize by creator. Makes updating a simple click and drag into folder to replace if necessary. At this moment I have 50 sitting in my Mods folder and sub-folders within them. However I would rather have all second sub-folders sitting in my Mods folder.

So example of what it is:
    Mods - CAS - [Creator]

What I want:
    Mods - [Creator]

Doing this, however, will probably end up with hundreds of folders sitting in my Mods folder. [I have a LOT of cc.]

A second question off to the side:
    If you merge cc, when merging what is the max amount of .packages you merge with positive results? [You can now unmerge packages with Sims4Studio so I am not worried about merging as I can separate them again.]
    edited August 2018
    Kitkat1515 wrote: »
    How many sub-folders can I have in my Mods Folder? I like to organize by creator. Makes updating a simple click and drag into folder to replace if necessary. At this moment I have 50 sitting in my Mods folder and sub-folders within them. However I would rather have all second sub-folders sitting in my Mods folder.

So example of what it is:
    Mods - CAS - [Creator]

What I want:
    Mods - [Creator]

Doing this, however, will probably end up with hundreds of folders sitting in my Mods folder. [I have a LOT of cc.]

A second question off to the side:
    If you merge cc, when merging what is the max amount of .packages you merge with positive results? [You can now unmerge packages with Sims4Studio so I am not worried about merging as I can separate them again.]

There is no limit to the number of folders you have in your Mods folder and I think subfolders can go up to 4 deep. Sorry, I don't know about merging packages.
  • Lester3Lester3 Posts: 1 New Member
    But what if i release all of the mods out of their subfolders, will it cause destruction in the game ?
    edited September 2018
    It will cause chaos in your Mods folder. Mods frequently need updating and the best way to identify and remove them is by having them in the sub folders. If you really want the mod files loose that is up to you, it won't mess up the game. Just don't add more Mods sub folders to existing Mods sub folders.
  • hazelmoonsimshazelmoonsims Posts: 1 New Member
    So, I changed the text in my Resource.cfg file and then created sub-folders. When I put all my hair into one sub-folder, my game worked perfectly fine. This morning I was moving the rest of my CC into sub-folders and when I went to start my game, my game will not load at all and comes up with a warning screen. What am I doing wrong?? Please help!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    So, I changed the text in my Resource.cfg file and then created sub-folders. When I put all my hair into one sub-folder, my game worked perfectly fine. This morning I was moving the rest of my CC into sub-folders and when I went to start my game, my game will not load at all and comes up with a warning screen. What am I doing wrong?? Please help!

There is no longer any need, as there used to be, to change the resources file to allow for subfolders. Just use the one the game generates: delete your current one and restart the game. Doing that might be all that you need. Make sure as well that you don't have a second resources file lurking in there somewhere.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Hello @hazelmoonsims
    Try moving your whole mods folder to the desktop. Launch the game, and a new mods folder will be generated in the sims 4 folder.. Exit the game. Then put your mods/cc from the old mods folder into the newly generated mods folder and test to see if the issues remain. Don’t copy over the old resource.cfg file.
  • PaigeyCakesPaigeyCakes Posts: 4 New Member
    I have a qn it may have been asked elsewhere but I'm curious, I know script mods should stay in the main mods folder but is it at all possible to split up script mods and their corresponding package files?

for example I have some career script mods, would it be possible to leave the script half of the mod in the main folder and put the package half of the mod in a sub folder labelled careers or w/e? would the mod still work? or would it just make updating mods a pain?

I have a qn it may have been asked elsewhere but I'm curious, I know script mods should stay in the main mods folder but is it at all possible to split up script mods and their corresponding package files?

for example I have some career script mods, would it be possible to leave the script half of the mod in the main folder and put the package half of the mod in a sub folder labelled careers or w/e? would the mod still work? or would it just make updating mods a pain?

Hello @PaigeyCakes
    It would be best to keep the mod parts together. It would also be easier when updating mods or checking mods for issues.
  • melissalungumelissalungu Posts: 655 Member
    I tested a few mods today by renaming the package files (to just initials) and placing them with their script files one subfolder down (new subfolder in my Mods folder with creators name as the folder name) and they all appear to be working fine after testing in game. It keeps things very tidy and means I can update with ease after any new patch. I have a small exercise book where I write down all the mods I use and their new smaller file names. I don't change the script file names at all, but they are together in the same subfolder as the package file they relate to. It's so tidy!!!
    If you have spare points as you own the store, why not spend them on me? Haha!!! My wishlist

My thank you thread

My profile

My Top 5 store items :smile:
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    SVTSimmer wrote: »
    What about when a mod already has it's own folder? Lets say i downloaded hair cc. The cc downloaded in a folder, including the *actual file, an image and maybe instructions. What am i supposed to do then? I have a lot of cc and a lot of subfolders so it would be a pain going through everything so that the folders are only 4-5 subfolders in. So does the example i gave before count as a subfolder as well?
    -My example was: Mods File>SUBFOLDER>Hair CC Folder>Actual CC File, an image, instructions.
    And of course as i have a lot of cc most of them are in that format: folder>contents (cc file, image, occasionally instructions). Would that be an issue? I would really appreciate if anyone replied! Sorry, if i haven't made myself clear..

I think that would depend on the mod. I know with Sacrificial's Road to Fame mod, he's got at least three subfolders: Props, CAS, Objects. Those items must be removed and placed into the first level just as the mod itself is, or it won't work.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PaigeyCakesPaigeyCakes Posts: 4 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @PaigeyCakes
    > It would be best to keep the mod parts together. It would also be easier when updating mods or checking mods for issues.

Thanks @rosemow I'll stick to how i've been doing it then :smile:
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @PaigeyCakes
    > It would be best to keep the mod parts together. It would also be easier when updating mods or checking mods for issues.

Thanks @rosemow I'll stick to how i've been doing it then :smile:

You’re welcome :)
  • SimChiSimChi Posts: 143 Member
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Loudon_Wainwright wrote: »
    >
    > Another CC tip! Rename files so there's only numbers and letters, maybe the underscore. It speeds game performance noticeably.

Thanks @luthienrising, a better game performance tip is always welcome! :) Does this mean that I can (without issue) rename cc (remove the [ ] around the creator name, for example), and still have it work (aka: no vanishing cc)- while having the benefit of a better running game? And, will I have to recreate the Resource.cfg after doing this?
    SimChi wrote: »
    > @luthienrising said:
    > Loudon_Wainwright wrote: »
    >
    > Another CC tip! Rename files so there's only numbers and letters, maybe the underscore. It speeds game performance noticeably.

Thanks @luthienrising, a better game performance tip is always welcome! :) Does this mean that I can (without issue) rename cc (remove the [ ] around the creator name, for example), and still have it work (aka: no vanishing cc)- while having the benefit of a better running game? And, will I have to recreate the Resource.cfg after doing this?

Renaming by removing the brackets is fine and you don't need to do anything to the Resource.cfg