Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reducing game lag when using AMD graphics cards (possible fix)

vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
So I have found a possible solution for reducing lag (not Simulation Lag) in AMD Radeon settings which may or may not help you. It doesn't get rid of the lag completely but it has reduced it and it doesn't hurt to try...

Bit of background: my game has been super laggy since Seasons launched, I have tried every solution on the internet, even removing my beloved Mods & CC.
I have an R9 280x
AMD FX 6300 (stock clock)
10GB RAM
So, plenty enough to run The Sims 4 on Ultra.

Different cards may have different options in their settings? I am not sure.

Here's what I did:
  • Open AMD Radeon Setting and click on the "Gaming" tab on the top left.
  • Click the "Add" icon on the top far right it has a little picture of a folder, it opens a little drop down menu with an option to browse/scan.
  • Click scan, it should find the Sims 4/any other games you have installed.
  • Once it is showing up in Radeon Settings, double click on The Sims 4.
  • You should now have a screen that looks like this:
fymGZcU.png

[*] Turn on the Shader Cache option outlined below by default it is "AMD Optimised":

Sf4n1wc.png

That's it.

When I start the game I now do it through Radeon Settings by going to the Gaming tab and clicking the 3 dots on The Sims 4 tab and pressing launch:

QOY3nZD.png

If this doesn't work for you, you can remove it again by pressing reset/remove profile as seen in the image above. As I said before, it doesn't get rid of the lag and it doesn't do anything for Simulation lag. It helps by taking some of the strain off of the CPU. The Sims 4 doesn't use all of my CPU but somehow it has helped.

P.S. I didn't post this in Technical Discussion because that will be gone tomorrow and I don't really know where else to put this.

2UFyFUV.png

Comments

• vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    Update:
    I fixed my game lag (not simulation lag)

I have an MSI 970 Gaming motherboard. There is a tiny switch on the board called "slow mode." Which I wasn't aware even existed. This isn't supposed to be used unless you are recovering the bios. Well my board was switched to slow mode and it has been since I bought it over a month ago.
    rzstT.png

Now I have switched it into Normal mode I can play my game again, I hope a month of using my PC in slow mode hasn't caused any lasting damage.

Again, this hasn't fixed my simulation lag.

2UFyFUV.png

• Familyvalues23Familyvalues23 Posts: 47 Member
    Good guide.
    Good guide.

Thank you, i hope someone out there finds it useful :)
    2UFyFUV.png

• Randomness000Randomness000 Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2018
    Keep it mind that you should go into reset in the top right and reset the shader cache every once in a while, as it can sometimes become corrupted and cause issues. Also, there is a mod that's supposed to fix the simulation lag(haven't tried it out, i don't even have the game installed atm lol)
    Post edited by Randomness000 on
    fGRb4d2.gif
    Keep it mind that should go into reset in the top right and reset the shader cache every once in a while, as it can sometimes become corrupted and cause issues. Also, there is a mod that's supposed to fix the simulation lag(haven't tried it out, i don't even have the game installed atm lol)
    Thanks I didn't know that, I'm learning as I go along.
    I am not using the first method anymore, since I fixed it with my second method but it may help someone still.

I have the Lag Fix Mod, it stopped working after playing for a while many people are reporting the same thing, it's hit or miss.
    I think the only people that are able to fix it properly are the devs, so it'll probably be "too difficult" or "not cost effective" or whatever other excuse they will use, I don't see this issue ever being solved, much like The Sims 3. :rage:
    2UFyFUV.png