Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 doors not working suddenly? [Solved]

HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
edited September 2018 in The Sims 3 Bugs & Issues
First time I have ever had this issue and it seems to just be this lot, sadly it is a long time project and redoing it is out of the question (I don't even remember how I managed it TBH, countless hours started over a year ago). One or two doors I admit I wasn't sure if they'd work due to Moveobjects (like in example 3) but it looks like no doors at all work! It's originally a community lot but when I noticed the issue I tried to make residential to see it if make a difference but it did not.

EyW7PbS.jpg
97JKHdI.jpg
u19EMRB.jpg
Post edited by HollownessDevour on

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited September 2018
    With moveobjects on involved, there could be a routing issue, at least with some of the doors. There could also be leftover action jigs from when your sims used, or tried to use, the doors. The easiest way to clear those jigs, if that's the issue, is to save the build to the bin, bulldoze the lot, and replace the building. Then send your sims back in and see if it makes a difference.

You might also try placing the lot in a brand-new save, just to make absolutely sure the problem isn't caused by the world in which you're playing.

And, of course, you don't have to save your game if for some reason this doesn't play out the way you wanted.
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    Jigs?

I tried 8 different doors so far (between two different files).

I have not only bulldozed and placed again, I have tried in other worlds/files too. Every time I test I do a fresh household (3-4 times so far).

The lot is not attached to one save in fact I created a world/save file just to build/test this build since in the past two files I had it in are filled with many builds of mine, thought a fresh world might help.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited September 2018
    I guess you need to delete and replace the doors completely, with moveobjects off if you can manage the placements. You can always drag the CASt panel from the old doors to the new ones instead of recoloring them from scratch. But however these doors were placed, they're clearly not working. Hopefully, removing and replacing them will be enough, and you won't have to rebuild the walls too.

(A jig is a bit of data left over from when a sim performs an action, like, say, walking through a door. It's supposed to disappear when the action completes. But occasionally that doesn't happen—often when you quit the game in the middle of the action—and the jig will cause route failing. But jigs don't survive the bulldozing and replacing from the bin.)
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    When you say you tried eight different doors, I think you meant you replaced the doors? I've never had this kind of issue with so many things at once, but occasionally I do have something break - maybe a door but more likely a different object. I just always move that object out of the way and use the eyedropper tool to create a second one and put it in the original spot, then delete the old one, which usually takes care of it. That, or saving my recolor before deleting, keeps me from needing to re-CASt anything. I think you probably know all that, though.

I can see where something might be too close to the door in the third picture, as you mentioned, but the others really don't look like they should be a problem. The ground/floor looks nice and flat, too. Is it a build that uses CFE? Thinking maybe it could be an issue with the ceiling being too low or something like that, if so. I don't use CFE so I can't really be of any help - just throwing it out there.

I don't suppose it's a lock issue, but did you check the lock settings on the doors?

Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I tried 8 unique different doors (some single, some double, some on angled walls some not), 2 of the 8 I deleted -> replaced still had issues until I went double -> single door on one angled wall but that was when I only though it was that angled building, when I tried other single doors (on non-angled buildings) and they didn't work I realized it was the whole lot. And I am not going all single doors on this lot it would ruin the look even the one that "Fixed" it looked so bad with single doors I was considering making it doorless (but then like I said realized whole lot).

I do have 1 door on lot locked but wasn't trying that one cause I know I locked it and with other doors I double checked to make sure I didn't lock too. Oh, and it's only outside doors- inside doors (so far I haven't tried all, just some) seem to work lol.

It's a multi building lot most of the builds are empty (besides stairs but no Moveobject cheats with stairs cause I wanted to be sure the stairs worked) on the inside so nothing should be blocking (besides that third door in pic examples).

Today I am going to try deleting and replacing all outside doors one by one while testing, plus unlocking even that locked door, removing all moveobjects near doors and hidden room makers just in case its a chain reaction thing (one door or more so item causing one door not working in which is making all doors not work).

Thank you all for the input, I hope this gets figured out XD
    (A jig is a bit of data left over from when a sim performs an action, like, say, walking through a door. It's supposed to disappear when the action completes. But occasionally that doesn't happen—often when you quit the game in the middle of the action—and the jig will cause route failing. But jigs don't survive the bulldozing and replacing from the bin.)

Ah ok, well considering it was fresh games (and multiple games and sims) only Jigs was go to lot -> then go to location on lot. I don't see it being that but I'll keep it in mind.
    ok I got it!

It must have been one of the hidden room makers (one must have been considered outside) it was mucking with all outer doors.

TY for the help!