Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you ever actually look at impulses?

2...Next

Comments

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes, very much.
    CK213 wrote: »
    Mainly when I need aspiration points, but they don't add much to the personality of my sim.
    I feel like it's something that the game is suggesting rather than desires of my sim.

I agree - a lot of the whims seem to be more like advertisements rather than things my Sim would actually want.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    Yes, very much.
    I like using the Whims, but I wish there was a way to turn off the repeated requests for a 1x1 pool.

Buy them a 1x1 pool. Seriously. I finally put a 1x1 pool on my lot, and banished that whim for good.
  • HaimonaHaimona Posts: 136 Member
    Sometimes.
    Not very much, I have a story line in my head and pretty much play off of that :neutral:
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Yes, very much.
    While I respect your opinion on the matter, I do find some of the rewards useful. No, I don't ever use the 'never pees' or traits of that nature, I agree with you that's just too weird. But I try to build up the points so that the more 'expensive' traits can be accessed.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Yes, very much.
    I look at them all the time and try do do them but I feel that they are just not well done. They feel like an after-thought to me. Feels like this whim system ruined things like Wishacies because they just aren't important. Its a whim. IRL I had whim to change shirts to a color I liked better. Doing so didn't impact my life in any significant way, it just meant my shirt was a different color. Its the same in game. Whims don't feel important enough to bother over-much about. The wants/wishes were more important things in the sim's life, so I wanted to do them. Now I just do them for something to do.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes, very much.
    I like using the Whims, but I wish there was a way to turn off the repeated requests for a 1x1 pool.

Buy them a 1x1 pool. Seriously. I finally put a 1x1 pool on my lot, and banished that whim for good.

I'll have to try that next time it comes up!

I tend to think of the majority of Whims as something a sim might want in the short term but which does not necessarily impact upon their long term goals. For example, I read some threads about Jungle Adventure and then had the desire to buy it after months of being convinced I didn't need it. Obviously some of them such as marriage and babies are more significant but when it comes to wanting new items in the house or to tell a joke, it's nice to let the sim do those things, but doesn't usually impact upon their life all that much.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    No, never.
    While I respect your opinion on the matter, I do find some of the rewards useful. No, I don't ever use the 'never pees' or traits of that nature, I agree with you that's just too weird. But I try to build up the points so that the more 'expensive' traits can be accessed.

Which traits you like to use and how do you use them? :)
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    edited September 2018
    Sometimes.
    Sometimes.. tbh I stopped paying attention to wishes/whims system in TS3/TS4 ever since they got rid of the wants & fears system from TS2. My sims weren't going to have a breakdown if I didn't complete them so I stopped caring. I focused more on getting high moodlets for my sims in TS3 and when I play TS4 I focus on their emotions.
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    Sometimes.
    If the whim is fruitful to my Sim I will do it but most of the time I do not pay attention. Just really not on my radar during gameplay. It is definitely not as good as previous Sim games. Otherwise, it would be much different and I would use it more often.
    Yes, very much.

Which traits you like to use and how do you use them? :)

That's a good general question (maybe worth its own thread). The seldom weary is a must - I don't want to watch my Sims sleep all the time. I like the 'halfway' traits, so that they still have needs, but they spend less time on them. It would be boring if they never had needs. 'Waterproof' is useful, since the umbrellas don't work as well as they did in Sims 3. 'Gym Rat' keeps them from going into the red before they've finished their daily exercise or yoga. And 'independent' seems to be just right - my Sims aren't very social, but I do want them to interact and build relationships.

Other than waterproof, I don't think I've used any of the Seasons traits - I want my Sims to have to deal with weather, that's why I bought the expansion.
  • meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    Yes, very much.
    I look at them quite a lot just to give them something to do, especially if they've completed an aspiration. I get that they aren't that important, though. If you want to grind points you can just go through different aspirations at the same time. I guess it's something I've been sort of conditioned to look at as they were more important in 2 and 3 though. But back then aspirations were only one set goal, not different tasks like in 4. So it's meh, whims are just there as an extra thing to make it seem like your sim has thoughts.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Sometimes.
    They became very boring after two years. With each new pack, the whims seemed to loop continually around certain key items in each newly released pack. I swear if I see that one about a 1x1 pool one more time I am going to lose it. It's like watching a commercial for pools, washers, dryers, wash tubs, clotheslines, and hot tubs. It was kinda amusing to see my Sims sit on the edge of it and put their feet in the water, though. After pets was released all the whims were 'take the dog for a walk', 'play with the cat', and on and on it goes every time we get something new. The only whims I pay any attention to at all are the ones involving interacting with other Sims. The 'buy this or that' ones I totally ignore.
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    Yes, very much.
    I like to base a lot of my gameplay decisions on my sims' whims. They're definitely not nearly as personable or intuitive to the sims as they were in TS3, but I still find myself looking at them all the time while playing. When they correlate well with a particular character's circumstances, I feel like they're little windows into my sims' heads that tell me more about their personalities and feelings towards other sims. I do wish they were more finely-tuned, though. I really don't like when everyone and their mother wants to flirt with randoms they barely know, buy wash tubs, and search for vampire information. :lol:
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    No, never.
    I normally have a clear thought of how my sims' personality is, their character and their goals. The whims hardly ever adds to this, I find them a bit too general. In previous series those whims were often unique for each sim, strictly tied to their life goal and former efforts. They feel more random in TS4. Some seems to pop up just because the game has a certain activity that is possible - like playing an instrument, even if my sim is no way interested in such activities. To get the special ones, and there are a few good whims, my sim must normally first go through a long list of random everyday tasks that I don't find appealing to my way of playing. That said, I do fine without them, and don't mind they are there for others :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sometimes.
    I'll check them to see if they fit my current gameplay. For example, if my Sim is chatting with another Sim I'll look to see if there's a whim that fits, like Tell a Joke or Share Ideas. They're mostly innocuous but the ones that bug me are the ones where my Sim has to buy something, especially if they already have the item in question like a hot tub or a washer/dryer.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)