Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fed Up With Issues

Whichever SimGuru comes upon this thread and just "moves" it to the shadows of the forum, please just read it first. Pass it along to the head honchos at EA. This stuff matters to the players including myself. My future Sim game purchases hang in the balance here. I can't take these issues any longer.

My game is getting increasingly frustrating as I encounter ridiculous bugs that break the immersion of this game and are just plain sloppy. The festivals from City Living are overlapping to no end. The Seasons holiday decorations linger long past the respective holiday. The towel outfit at spas and gyms have ridiculous accessories (ex. beekeeper hat), the excessive gameplay lags and time weirdness, and many more. I'm really at my wits end here. This is a PURCHASED game, I have all the packs and have tried numerous times to correct the issues. Why are unfinished products (which take centuries to come out) being released only to cause more problems that the developers are not addressing? Our last game patch was a month ago and fixed nothing. That is an eternity when you have severe issues like this. I want to play this game the way it was ADVERTISED. Currently its just a hot mess. I've been playing the sims games since 2002, but there has never been more issues than now. I'm discouraged and embarassed. I hope other people feel the same.

End rant.

Comments

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    this.

ts4 is unplayable for me without mods, which is pretty embarrassing on behalf of EA and Maxis. Like, mods should enhance gameplay, not try to make it playable.

• BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2018
    Sims 3's Island Paradise seems to have started the trend of packs that seem as if no one play tested them.

Every sims game suffers the faith of needing mods to fix bugs, it's just part of the deal at this point. I'm not happy with it, but I'm just used to it at this point. If the Sims had a competition with another life simulator, things would have been different.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    this.

ts4 is unplayable for me without mods, which is pretty embarrassing on behalf of EA and Maxis. Like, mods should enhance gameplay, not try to make it playable.

Then when things go wrong the first thing they say, it's the mods fault. Well if it were a better designed game we wouldn't need so many mods.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes, the game is riddled with bugs and (based on EA’s past history with TS4), I confidently predict that at least 90% of those bugs will never be fixed, and none of the worst bugs will be fixed (I’m talking about: standing around doing nothing for ages before doing an action, how long actions take to cancel, sims getting stuck in conversations, Sims coming home from work or school when another sim who is not at work travels, items getting stuck in inventories... I could go on but I won’t).

Maybe they can’t fix these glitches. In which case, the6 should say so and apologies. Not just ignore the issue.

At this point, it’s probably more accurate to say that there’s a game in the bugs than that there’s bugs in the game :D
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    When putting up decorations does nobody think of the option to take them back down again and not expect them to disappear on their own? I like playing at the basic speed and don't get the problems people keep moaning about.
    Simburian wrote: »
    When putting up decorations does nobody think of the option to take them back down again and not expect them to disappear on their own? I like playing at the basic speed and don't get the problems people keep moaning about.
    Well yes. That’s what I do, so I wouldn’t include it as a bug.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I thought they said they fixed festivals overlapping like 3 times now. Why’s it still broken?

I don’t pay attention to festivals anymore. After going a few times, I was over it. I wish we could disable the notifications tbh. So I can’t say if the overlap is still occurring in my game or not.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Sims 3's Island Paradise seems to have started the trend of packs that seem as if no one play tested them.

Every sims game suffers the faith of needing mods to fix bugs, it's just part of the deal at this point. I'm not happy with it, but I'm just used to it at this point. If the Sims had a competition with another life simulator, things would have been different.

I mean, they're doing livestreams now.
    does that count as 'playtesting'?
    :/
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »

I mean, they're doing livestreams now.
    does that count as 'playtesting'?
    :/

Not sure if a live stream should be considered 'play testing', because it is more like an engagement platform, but in the other way, it could be. At some point, I just ignore the bugs, stop playing with it...and start building instead. It is frustrating, to be honest..
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    edited September 2018
    The last days Ive been playing abit more again. I cant play two hours without restarting the game. My hardware is beyond what this game needs and practically is bored during gameplay. Yet after about two hours the game is more and more bugged.

The action queue bug will probably never get any attention. Its just unbearable for me to grasp that the same people that made this game are not just unable but unwilling to change the way player input is being handled when a sim is doing something. So many times I lost something because the sim didnt cancel its current action like talking to a stone instead of going to work or talking to another sim who is about to leave... and then gets to leave because the other sim kept doing what he wanted.

Or try to play a household with 8 sims and then the locked doors settings disappear all the time!

After playing for over 100 hours I get a basic idea whats wrong. Yet when the patch notes come out its like its been written by someone who never played this game because it never adresses the big issues. Just some small non-issues.

Its all just a band-aid. They dont care. Enough people dont criticise, enough buy it. So why should they care about problems?
    edited September 2018
    Zasz wrote: »
    Yet when the patch notes come out its like its been written by someone who never played this game because it never adresses the big issues. Just some small non-issues.
    Exactly this. It’s so frustrating.
  • KolbyKolby Posts: 1,126 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

I don't manually put up any decorations, the other lots automatically decorate for the holidays but then they are stuck. The only fix I can live with right now is turning off decorations for all the holidays on the calendar.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Looking at how Sims are developed I would expect the game to have problems being it has a whole slew of programs tied into each other, this type of game needs constant tweaking. The game also relies heavily on an AI system which also needs constant tweaking being there is no AI system that is 100% accurate for if there was I would be nervous.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Yes, the Sims is the kind of game where it's too easy for things to go wrong. So many variables that it's simply impossible to fix everything. I'm happy the team is taking an effort with monthly patches. There are many games left to rot with bugs the moment they hit the store shelfs.
    edited September 2018
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Looking at how Sims are developed I would expect the game to have problems being it has a whole slew of programs tied into each other, this type of game needs constant tweaking. The game also relies heavily on an AI system which also needs constant tweaking being there is no AI system that is 100% accurate for if there was I would be nervous.
    The AI isnt the problem. The total amount of bugs isnt the problem. The problem for example with the action queue is that actions dont stop when giving a command. This isnt a game issue, its a developer issue who refuse to adress it.
    Yes, the Sims is the kind of game where it's too easy for things to go wrong. So many variables that it's simply impossible to fix everything. I'm happy the team is taking an effort with monthly patches. There are many games left to rot with bugs the moment they hit the store shelfs.
    I just wish they were open when it comes to the BIG issues they havent adress with a patch for years.
  • hellishhellish Posts: 7 New Member
    I am about to give up on this game/franchise completely. The Sims 4's shallowness has always been a problem for me, but the mounting bugs and technical issues are really starting to annoy me. There are too many other games out there for me to keep beating my head over this brick wall. This is the only game where I check every day for a new patch, in some slim hope that at least a couple of the biggest bugs have been addressed. On those rare days there actually is a patch, it's just disappointing. Factor in the outright admission that there will never be fixes for some bugs (while not even spelling out which bugs will be ignored), and it's clear that my time could be better spent elsewhere.

The developers of this game have such weird priorities it seems. One example that comes to mind is the amount of time spent on a pointless (and frankly, kind of ugly) ceiling fan that does absolutely nothing. It can't be turned on or off, has no light, and doesn't even affect the interior temperature if the disaster known as 'Seasons' is installed. Another priority they seem to have is maintaining some kind of hype and mystery around this game, but not making the game's quality or depth speak for itself. An example of this is saying there are four new sliding doors, when really there are only two, just in two different heights. That is completely lame.

I do appreciate any time new content is included in a patch, but the implication is always that the developers are doing us some big favor. Many, many people have quite a bit of money invested in this newest version, not to mention the entire franchise. I would argue it is players who are doing them a favor by ensuring they continue to have a job.

I don't like saying these things, but at some point I have to just realize that this game was broken from the start.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2018
    Zasz wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    The AI isnt the problem. The total amount of bugs isnt the problem. The problem for example with the action queue is that actions dont stop when giving a command. This isnt a game issue, its a developer issue who refuse to adress it.
    I just wish they were open when it comes to the BIG issues they havent adress with a patch for years.

The game has a slew of problems and the game needs constant tweaking especially after each pack. Yes the action queue is only one of the problems and if EA/Maxis does not tweak the game problems do tend to creep up. SimCity 2013 had the same problems EA/Maxis never tweaked the game as it should have been.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    I correct myself. The AI is a problem!

I usually dont look at it that much but in the last session it was kinda extreme. The AI needs a proximity path routine. I mean having two bathrooms, one for each floor, and the sims walking to the one on the other floor is more than just a time waste. And then is the problem with sims not canceling their action while on the way to another floor. Its extremely annoying with kids that dont stop until they are up/down the stairs even when they are still not on the stairs.

I can barely have a conversation between two sims because the game constantly interrupts it with actions in a far away room. Kids dont run or jog either but they jump up and leave as soon as the allmighty AI gives them a command while they walk like slugs on their way back when I want to continue my plans.

And what do we get? SILENCE!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Agree whole heartedly with you all. This game was a sinking ship from launch date because of the poor way the shift from online game to stand alone game was handled. On one hand, on the rare occasions I attempt to play I do see some really nice things that I wish I could bring over into TS2. On the other hand, I keep hitting the stone walls of bugs, glitches, shallowness, and all the rest of it. So, I fire up TS2 whenever I want to do any simming, play or build. Can't remember the last time I played, the last time I fired it up was to draw up the plans of a community lot I made so I could translate it into TS2 land. Pretty sad when a game that is at least 2 generations older is far superior.
    Just to make sure a dev (if they take a wrong turn somewhere and end up here by accident) doesnt get the wrong idea:
    I tested my game without script. It doesnt reduce the response time, it increases the problems that are being solved by MCCC and it reduces gameplay enjoyment.
    So dont blame mods for the problems that remain even without them.
    Pretty sad when a game that is at least 2 generations older is far superior.
    The most fun I had the last days was yesterday when I outfitted two teens with new clothes with a friend over skype (with share screen) and building a new home and the sim including a pet. Took about 1 1/2 hours for each. Its mind blowing that the construction before the gameplay is more enjoyable because it has the least problems.

Which reminds me, CAS was either designed to be bad or by someone who had no intention of using it. Seriously. Overhaul this plum.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    You just may have hit a key point, a game designed and built by people who don't play the game on a regular basis. If they did play regularly, they would start having the same problems we are, and maybe, just maybe, decide to do something. If only for their own selfish selves.
  • AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    Glad to hear it isn't just me and my relatively new, though standard HP, Laptop. The franchise is not without its glitches and such, which most of the time is manageable and I ignore them, but the routing/AI pathing issue and actions that queue randomly that you can't cancel has to be its biggest drawback, imo. Half my plays after a certain point consist of pause. Unpause. Pause. I had the same problem with 3 and sometimes 2. Eventually the animation catches up (sorry, I don't know the proper word for this) with the action I have qeued and my sim is able to continue. I've also tested this without scripts and to no avail, even lowered the settings which does help a little.

By now of course, nearly an hour in-game has passed because the time clock is running fine, regardless of sims standing there. Also, why do sims cross over to another room JUST to do a certain action from the same conversation...uh, okay then? Perhaps they aren't play testing as thoroughly as your average simmer would, perhaps they are and only have so much time to devote to the game itself before a deadline nor fix the lingering bugs. If this is indeed the case, than why not confirm it. I mean, at the end of the day it's almost typical of them at this point. Not saying it's right or that we stand by and say nothing, but typical. I understand the frustration.

I'm no expert in what goes on behind the scenes, but I often wonder how something that seems to effect many players goes virtually without a fix for so long. Not degrading anyone, I appreciate what they do fix and the added content they provide via updates, it simply makes me wonder at times. It also makes me question if whether to dump money into any further games they decide to add to the franchise is worth it. Do they actually appreciate the fact we're still supporting them nonstop? Hard to say. Those patch notes can be... taken certain ways, depending on one's perspective. But that's a story for another time.

One thing I've noticed is that the less sims you have in a household, the more responsive the AI is. Not sure what's going on there, could be a storage issue with my PC, but just throwing that out in case anyone has ideas. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the festivals, it's pretty boring when you've tried everything and the actions specific to NPC's (Ex. Love Guru) would be better suited if they brought back the matchmaking service or did away with the timed event altogether. I love the franchise too much to leave it entirely, but I do play it significantly less than other games.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    + 1. Devs and Gurus, please prioritize in fixing the game before free content and at this point any expansions etc. TS4 is in really rough shape now, and fixing it should be the top priority at this stage. Adding more stuff and not fixing critical issues is only going to make the game worst. EX: If a university expansion is released and the non-interactive sims bug is not fixed, what fun is university going to be when all the sims do is stand around doing nothing? Socialization is a huge part of university.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    The Ai is a BIG problem in this game, an example is: a toddler who's starving that grab a plate of food and climb the stairs to eat on the bedroom chair, it takes her a lot of time, when there is a chair right in the kitchen for her, perfectly usable as she used it in the past. The reason she does this is because the cat is sleeping in the bedroom. And this is not even a bug, this is by plum design.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2018
    SiliClone wrote: »
    The Ai is a BIG problem in this game, an example is: a toddler who's starving that grab a plate of food and climb the stairs to eat on the bedroom chair, it takes her a lot of time, when there is a chair right in the kitchen for her, perfectly usable as she used it in the past. The reason she does this is because the cat is sleeping in the bedroom. And this is not even a bug, this is by plum design.

Simply remove the problem - which is apparently the bedroom chair. Problem solved - the tot will use the closer chair. Or maybe lock the cat out of her bedroom - attraction gone.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....