Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often does your game crash

13...Next

Comments

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Once every other time I load up
    igazor wrote: »
    To be fair, we're not really looking at a representative sample of respondents here. It would be expected that 80% of us would vote Hardly Ever or Every Couple of Months because those of us answering are casually hanging out on a forum board devoted to a game that has been out of development for coming up on five years now. If it still crashed on us every time we turned around, we probably would have moved on to something else to play by now. ;)

I 100% know this poll was going to be different during TS3's run and anyone who was around for that knows it deep in their hearts.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    Maybe once every 5-10 times I load up
    Anmirla wrote: »
    My more common issue is that while at some point while the game is loading, my computer starts sounding like it wants to launch into space! :D

That doesn't sound good. Do you find that your drive starts making noises when you're trying to load any other program, or just Sims 3? Because noises like that sound like an impending hard drive crash.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Hardly ever
    My more common issue is that while at some point while the game is loading, my computer starts sounding like it wants to launch into space! :D

That doesn't sound good. Do you find that your drive starts making noises when you're trying to load any other program, or just Sims 3? Because noises like that sound like an impending hard drive crash.

Just TS3. I replaced my hard drive in February, so I don't think my new hard drive is ready to give up on me yet.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    edited September 2018

Just TS3. I replaced my hard drive in February, so I don't think my new hard drive is ready to give up on me yet.

I hope not. :) Sometimes they can have a "bad drive" in the batch. :) But fingers crossed that it's just "noises". And thank goodness it's only doing it while loading TS3. Maybe the CPU just doesn't like TS3. You might have to tell it "Tough luck...just load and be quiet doing it!"

I had nasty noises coming from my desktop. Found out after taking it into my wife's work...(they sell computers too...) that the CPU fan had come unseated. Now it's purring along like a kitten. Silent and working. Though it's not a gaming computer...it's running Sims 3 OK...at least it will until I can get a gaming rig.
    GYZ6Ak9.png

It's probably cooling/vid card fans though

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    Getting ready to launch into outer space noises would more likely be the fans ramping up into high gear. That would be a sign of a computer working very hard and the cooling system doing what it is meant to do. But if TS3 is putting that much stress on things, I would be looking for ways to ease back on the load that it is carrying. Or, if this is new and it hasn't always been like that, perhaps the inside of the computer needs to be professionally cleaned of any dirt and hair that has accumulated in there.

If this is a laptop, a cooling pad might help.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    Getting ready to launch into outer space noises would more likely be the fans ramping up into high gear. That would be a sign of a computer working very hard and the cooling system doing what it is meant to do. But if TS3 is putting that much stress on things, I would be looking for ways to ease back on the load that it is carrying.

Or at least invest in a laptop cooling pad/a tabletop fan to tilt onto your laptop (not for ANYTHING but short-term use but I did it lol)

outrun / blog / tunglr
    Hardly ever
    @InfraGreen - I added that. Had hit Post a bit too soon and wasn't finished. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Hardly ever
    I had nasty noises coming from my desktop. Found out after taking it into my wife's work...(they sell computers too...) that the CPU fan had come unseated. Now it's purring along like a kitten. Silent and working. Though it's not a gaming computer...it's running Sims 3 OK...at least it will until I can get a gaming rig.

Now that you mention this - my husband broke the clip on my CPU fan so it's loose, but stable. That is part of it I'm sure (I know it's a little louder than it should be), but it only really belts it out about half through loading TS3. Something is kicking into overdrive. I thought maybe it's the vid card since I know that TS3 can be hell on vid cards. It is a decent card though and should be capable of handling TS3 - an NVIDIA GeForce GT 740.

edited September 2018
    I don't know if @igazor touched on this, but have you capped your framerate to 60fps with VSync? It may be the reason why the card is working overtime on the game while loading. Framerates have a tendency to skyrocket while loading too as well as playing the game with graphics turned completely high.
    Me being a total doofus, I'm playing Sims 3 with a APU instead of a GPU, because I need to save up to get a GPU. At least my computer is cooperating with me.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Hardly ever
    I don't know if @igazor touched on this, but have you capped your framerate to 60fps with VSync? It may be the reason why the card is working overtime on the game while loading. Framerates have a tendency to skyrocket while loading too as well as playing the game with graphics turned completely high.
    Me being a total doofus, I'm playing Sims 3 with a APU instead of a GPU, because I need to save up to get a GPU. At least my computer is cooperating with me.

I know I had done this at one time, but my card optimizes my settings and now I don't remember how to check this. :/
  • ChesneyChesney Posts: 25 Member
    Hardly ever
    i think my game has crashed once. i am surprised that some ppl actually have game crashes. i have alot of cc, and like the worst computer (hand me down) so i dont know why it doesnt crash more often
    edited September 2018
    I don't know if @ igazor touched on this, but have you capped your framerate to 60fps with VSync? It may be the reason why the card is working overtime on the game while loading. Framerates have a tendency to skyrocket while loading too as well as playing the game with graphics turned completely high.

I know I had done this at one time, but my card optimizes my settings and now I don't remember how to check this. :/

If it helps, you probably aren't hitting 60fps on a laptop.
    It only crashes when I accidentally download bad custom content or when Windows upgrades my switchable graphics to only the low version instead of updating both. Since I only upgrade through AMD, it's not a problem anymore

I hate AMD but that's one thing they have over Nvidia. Everything changes~ :grimace:

outrun / blog / tunglr
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    If it helps, you probably aren't hitting 60fps on a laptop.

It's a desktop.

Oops, I cut off a quote end...
  • BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    Hardly ever
    I don't think that the Sims 4 has ever crashed for me. I used to have terrible luck keeping the Sims 2 and 3 running for longer than 3 hours at a time, but not for 4. :D
    edited September 2018
    Hardly ever
    Now that you mention this - my husband broke the clip on my CPU fan so it's loose, but stable. That is part of it I'm sure (I know it's a little louder than it should be), but it only really belts it out about half through loading TS3. Something is kicking into overdrive. I thought maybe it's the vid card since I know that TS3 can be hell on vid cards. It is a decent card though and should be capable of handling TS3 - an NVIDIA GeForce GT 740.
    Hate to have to point this out, but the GT 740 is a dedicated but lower-end graphics card. It's great if you can play the game on it as you wish, but it will have to work much harder than it is really designed to if the heavier EPs are in play (Pets, Seasons, IP, ITF).

We can help you with frame rates if you post on the TS3 Tech Discussions board, the details are a bit off-topic for here. For the record though, frame rates needing capping are a function of the strength of the card, it doesn't matter if the computer is a desktop or a laptop.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!