Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I had a thought..

sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
I’ve been thinking about this for a while but never bothered to share the thought (not sure if it belongs over here).

I realized that when playing in the worlds with neighborhoods, they doesn’t feel very alive to me. Sure, there are sims walking and jogging by, and sometimes if there’s one of those nearby play areas with a grill and a few tables, there will be sims spending time there, too. But I’m more focused on the houses in the neighborhoods.

What if they worked like apartments? Meaning, you’d actually see your neighbors come out of their houses to take out the trash or check their mail. You’d see them leave and come home from work/school, and if they’re over at your house you’d see them actually go home rather than walking right past their home. All of that, just maybe without the noisy neighbors part. I think it would make neighborhoods feel a little more alive.

Now, I know basically nothing about how things are done/things need to be done when it comes to these things so I’m not sure if it would be possible, but it’s just a thought. :) What do you guys think?
IMG-6587.gif

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’d support this but I feel it’s highly unlikely with the way they have the neighbors set up. You can’t even click on a house to ring the doorbell without a loading screen. You can’t go anywhere on their property without the loading screen. So they’d have to take whatever barrier they have initiated out of the equation so you can at least step foot on the property, and that’s the part I feel is unlikely to happen.

But I do agree, your apartment neighbor coming out to check the mail or take out the trash is a nice touch. I guess that’s what they worked on instead of letting us create apartments of our own. There is literally a pro and a con for everything in this game smh.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I've always wanted to see non-active sims go to/from their homes, also it would be nice to see them moving about, doing whatever inside their houses through the windows.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I miss this too. The other day I felt so weird scrolling through some houses and knowing these sims living there have to get out for work/school around that time and nothing happens. I loved that in TS3. I knew where they were going and at what times. It was alive and real. I choosed to go out and the same time to catch that good looking neighbour and chit chat.
    I was the ultimate stalker sometimes. Like following some of my friends or interesting sims down the road when they jumped in their car to see where they were heading to. Then I would go there too and be like 'hey, what are the chances mate' :D It made some interesting finds sometimes and was surprised by what they do in their free time. Or following your crush to see if he/she is meeting someone else :D
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @FurSimsOfficial Yes, that is one of the fab things about sims 3 that I really miss in this version.

But I think they would need to make an entire district loadable and visitable without separate loading screens to make this happen. And I can't see them ever doing that, which is a great tragedy.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    This wouldn't be possible the way TS4 is designed. Neighboring lots aren't loaded and there's no processing happening except for on your current lot.

The reason you can see your neighbors coming and going in San Myshuno is because the hallway outside their door is loaded as part of your lot.
  • Options
    EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    This is actually the way I was hoping the neighborhoods would behave when they first announced the game. I'm okay with the non-open world (I had a serious love/hate relationship with it in TS3) and having loading screens but it would have been awesome if each of the little neighborhood areas were like mini open worlds.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    The thing that really gets me is how we can't visit without the loading screen but can't see all the furnishings through the window.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    I love this idea and it's kind of like how I always wanted to be able to see the neighbors walking around through their windows since we can already see their furniture.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    That is a great idea and would make it feel more "real". Sometimes it can get redundant what the background Sims are doing.
  • Options
    KatieGKatieG Posts: 54 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    This is actually the way I was hoping the neighborhoods would behave when they first announced the game. I'm okay with the non-open world (I had a serious love/hate relationship with it in TS3) and having loading screens but it would have been awesome if each of the little neighborhood areas were like mini open worlds.

Yes, this is exactly how I feel about it!
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    This wouldn't be possible the way TS4 is designed. Neighboring lots aren't loaded and there's no processing happening except for on your current lot.

The reason you can see your neighbors coming and going in San Myshuno is because the hallway outside their door is loaded as part of your lot.

What is really any different? When you find a Sim walking outside in the neighborhood, you'll find that they are registered as having loaded onto that lot that was visited; if you saw your neighbor walking out in the neighborhood while your sim was at home and then switch to the neighbor, it would say they're at your previous sim's home, not their own. This would be the same if you switched between apartment neighbors outside their apartment.

As well, you still have to load into an apartment if you're visiting your apartment neighbor. Just the semblance that they go out of their home lot would be enough to give me the impression there was something going on with your neighbors and their homes. It doesn't necessarily have to be them walking outside their home lot's doors because they can't seem to make that work (yet they can animate objects on other people's lots when we're not at their lot).
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Kerwinkle wrote: »
    What if they worked like apartments? Meaning, you’d actually see your neighbors come out of their houses to take out the trash or check their mail. You’d see them leave and come home from work/school, and if they’re over at your house you’d see them actually go home rather than walking right past their home. All of that, just maybe without the noisy neighbors part. I think it would make neighborhoods feel a little more alive.

To be honest, my initial thought of TS4 was supposed to work like this. But, the only things that we got are the passerby, welcome wagon, cars that passing by, birds flying... I would love to see, the next door neighbours walk out of their house, collecting their newspapers ;) , saying hi (by just raising their hands) without interfering with my Sims life, other Sims visiting their neighbours, interacting with the season changes from their own Lot, etc.. It seems more lively..

p/s I once told my research supervisor that I want to use TS to observe a virtual neighbor interaction. Glad that we didn't do it.. Else, it will be meaningless for my paper... and I'll spend more time playing than actually testing my hypothesis.. :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I remember when they did this for Sims2. First, we were able to see the immediate neighbor's homes, then we could see the neighbors themselves. It really makes a difference. Let's hope that's something in the works.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Renamed1809201503Renamed1809201503 Posts: 10 New Member
    Sounds like a good idea op
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I don't think this is possible with how the lots and the neighbourhoods are set up. This a good idea though for sims 5 or any future game.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I'd certainly applaud changes like these, and I think even the small signs of life would add a lot - even if it was just a neighbor sim being seen in their window.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg