Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilities for Sims 4? Tea leaves are leaning to Yes

SimsVIP just posted an article on SimGuruGrant, Grant Rodiek, chatting about thoughts on including disability features to Sims 4. Paraplegics, deaf, blind, and likely others are on the table, and it's looking like Grant's already been putting a lot of thought into this. He's even thinking wheelchairs will be wanted by elder sims, as well. Mischevious sims could fake being blind just to troll others or even avoid contact if they are loners. So many potential ideas that this might just make for a full expansion adding in physical therapy and assisted living careers.
This is something I am all for. Not only that, but this is something that will be challenging to the Maxis team to implement. I will be keeping my ear to the water cooler for further news on this.

https://simsvip.com/2018/09/17/maxis-actively-pondering-disabilities-for-the-sims-4/

Comments

• Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    Very interesting....I am personally not disabled but I'd welcome any new lifestyle addition to the game

I am very curious about the implement thou...for example....could my sims give birth to a child who I later find out is disabled? Blind cant walk etc? Because that will add a huge curveball into childbirth....so far the only surprise I am concerned about is will it be twins or triplets (which in my recent experience has seriously increased in chance since ts3)

Also can injury cause these disabilities? And what other effects would this injury cause? What in fact could cause such an injury? What could cause it in childbirth and what would the chances be? What would the effect on the family be? I have so many questions...of this becomes a thing I'll certainly explore it

Thanks for the info
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Also can injury cause these disabilities? And what other effects would this injury cause? What in fact could cause such an injury? What could cause it in childbirth and what would the chances be? What would the effect on the family be? I have so many questions...of this becomes a thing I'll certainly explore it

Thanks for the info

One way of doing it would be a cost of saving a sim from Grim. Grim gets convinced not to take the sim, but instead they end up with a disability. And then of course it could be implemented in CAS.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

Thanks for the info

One way of doing it would be a cost of saving a sim from Grim. Grim gets convinced not to take the sim, but instead they end up with a disability. And then of course it could be implemented in CAS.

That would be highly controvesial and I doubt they'd do it like this.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    I don't think this would be a potential EP but maybe SP or GP.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    hunniboo1 wrote: »
    I dont know...I can see this going very wrong as people tend to get triggered very easily.

For example, the argument about the insane trait being offensive

I agree. In addition, the code that would have to be created to make this happen would be massive. I don't think Sims 4 is capable of this. Maybe they incorporate something like this in Sims 5.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • adele_katadele_kat Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2018
    deleted
    Post edited by adele_kat on
    giphy.gif
    I think it was said that it wouldn't be a charged download but a free update, and like other options in the game I am sure there would be an option to disable the disabilities in the menu (no pun intended)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    hunniboo1 wrote: »
    I dont know...I can see this going very wrong as people tend to get triggered very easily.

For example, the argument about the insane trait being offensive

Yes, I personally think it is a very bad idea. I guess we shall wait and see...
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    adele_kat wrote: »
    I have mental disorders, it's hard and very scary sometimes, but I would really like mental illness in the game! My game style is something like "American McGee's Alice" and "Alice: Madness Returns", I love when my sims suffer, I hate the "Rainbow Utopia" style, so I fully support the introduction of mental illness to the game, but it's bound to should be an option!

P.S - I have "Agoraphobia" and "Anthropophobia", and I don't left my home for 6 years, so I would like to see sims who are afraid of other sims and are afraid to get out of their house.

If you don't like it, don't play with it)

Sorry mate but that's not how a lot of the Sims 4 works. Even with all the packs we have we dont have many options to opt out of certain things

2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited September 2018
    Although if it does happen then I do hope there is an option to disable it as there is with the Seasons effects.

I have a disease that could kill me and I use the sims has a way to get away from that in real life. I do not want a constant reminder of what I'm already trying to escape from, but to each its own.

Despite dealing with what I'm dealing with if it happened I wouldnt go all "omg I'm never playing the sims again" though. :D

This shall be interesting
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Shadow_AssassinShadow_Assassin Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2018
    I think that's a good idea, but maybe a bit touchy.
    I hate the "Rainbow Utopia" style, so I fully support the introduction of mental illness to the game, but it's bound to should be an option!
    Me too. I think the life in sims is too tranquil, even criminal career can still at large forever, although the random events indicate risks(such as level 2, steal money maybe photographed), but it just influence career task.
    I think it was said that it wouldn't be a charged download but a free update, and like other options in the game I am sure there would be an option to disable the disabilities in the menu (no pun intended)
    I think so.
    Entrance to the abyss
    sims.fandom.com/wiki/User:ShadeAssassin
    It's a scratch-off ticket
    There's a "_" in my usename. My usename is Shadow_Assassin, not ShadowAssassin or others

Sometimes it's not me who talks to you, it's machine translation

She/Her but you can call me as any pronouns
    edited September 2018
    deleted
    giphy.gif
    [quote="adele_kat;c-16734832"][quote="hunniboo1;c-16734815"]Sorry mate but that's not how a lot of the Sims 4 works. Even with all the packs we have we dont have many options to opt out of certain things

[/quote]

If they do not allow this to be turned off, then I do not want it. It is very important to give a choice to the players)

[/quote]

I agree with you there
  • Familyvalues23Familyvalues23 Posts: 47 Member
    I think the idea that a sim can act blind as a joke is horribly offensive, I hope if they do add this in it’s done in good taste.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I don't think this would be a potential EP but maybe SP or GP.

It would be a free patch
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If it's a free patch, you can say hello to packs padding it out.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I have mental disorders, it's hard and very scary sometimes, but I would really like mental illness in the game! My game style is something like "American McGee's Alice" and "Alice: Madness Returns", I love when my sims suffer, I hate the "Rainbow Utopia" style, so I fully support the introduction of mental illness to the game, but it's bound to should be an option!

P.S - I have "Agoraphobia" and "Anthropophobia", and I don't left my home for 6 years, so I would like to see sims who are afraid of other sims and are afraid to get out of their house.

If you don't like it, don't play with it)

I have severe generalized anxiety, panic disorder, depression, and agoraphobia too. It would mean the world to me if I could make a sim like me, but I'm afraid they're only going to add physical disabilities. Which by the way, I think would be awesome if they did! I just want to see mental disabilities added too.
    edited September 2018
    deleted
    giphy.gif
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I can't see this ever ending well down the road.

If they can't make it right, they shouldn't have it at all. As soon as they miss out on the simplest details with disabilities, people will get upset and complain. As soon as a bug causes major errors with the disabilities, people will get upset and complain. There is no way they can successfully implement disabilities of all kinds to the game without upsetting a large amount of people, both simmers and those who don't play, like disability awareness and advocacy groups. There is no safe way around this.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I'm concerned that all we'll see is people in wheelchairs and canes. That being disabled will equal not being able to walk.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

I could see it being similar to the gender patch, where the tools are given to the players to use as they wish. I don't often create transgender Sims but I've used the pregnancy options to create Sims who can't have biological children so they adopt. If the devs make sure that the game doesn't auto-generate disabled Sims I see no issue with giving people the options. Options are always good.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)