Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inspiration?

So I realllllly love to build, it's probably my faveourite thing about Sims, and I'm just curious! Where do everyone here get their inspiration???

I myself use google, pintrest, youtube and real life as inspirations. I don't have any specific sites I use, but I just find an image and get inspired by that. Right now I'm doing a build thats a Traditional-Modern japanese house for a collab with @MLDesign wich is turning out pretty sweet, I probably never wouldhave had the idea if not for the collab :D So I find that the challenges and collabing with people ahve given me new inspiration, and that is soooo much fun! What are your favourite inspirations for bulding??

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited September 2018
    Sometimes I just get a picture in my mind of how I want something to look like. I even did stuff like this when I was a kid, and way before I even got into playing any of the Sims games. Most of the time what I like doing is taking building either from the gallery or that are already in the game and add to them, either new designs or just updating them for the packs that are not already in them.

One of my favorite things to do is to add a sleeping quarter and adding showers to the community lots, especially those in San Myshuno. I have issues with the festivals, where if I have my sim leave before it is over, things don't completely clear up, and it gets very messy when the next festival rolls around. To make matters worse, usually, after the festival has completely cleared up, the game won't let my sim go home, because a "vampire is breaking in", so it usually means my sim can't go home until around 6 am.

Click the spoiler if you want to see some of the work I have done at a few of the community lots in my game.
    Planet Honey Pop!
    42151340_1113489602134667_8340475787572412416_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b8ff1eae95414769a9fb876776f75968&oe=5C1B551A
    Added a little internet cafe, because I can't even tell you the number of times it was raining, and the geek festival going on at the game time. It won't count if your sim is trying to play the contest, but gives them a little something to do if the electronics outside are getting fried in the rain.
    41961940_1113489535468007_8348187646165516288_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1a62ab9e7dad83da1a46fc0447b329fb&oe=5C1E6F07

Waterside Wable
    Turned the second floor into a one bedroom apartment, although it is still labeled as a karaoke bar. But I did this for several reasons, the main one being what I already mentioned, and also when it is time for Father Winter to show, and he does show up. I just keep my sims around till a little after 2 am, so he doesn't show up at their homes. He does a really good job leaving when he is supposed to here. Plus not all my sims have room in their homes for a Christmas Tree and a big dining table for those Grand Meals.

41990460_1113490382134589_7405427030314975232_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ba1763698306bbae877062aef8ae5a2a&oe=5C30A24C
    42059576_1113489988801295_5475928387224600576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=48a7d84705cecc16cc3330a358b45501&oe=5C2165DD
    41991647_1113490498801244_3954214383260794880_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=335647ca292fea999cb3859aceb2c02b&oe=5C2530AC

I added glass roofs to locations, such as this one at the gym in San Myshuno.
    41913906_1113490178801276_2345363803622866944_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=36a1df3274ac8bcd19aa41d3afb61d0b&oe=5C615BC5
    Down in the basement of the same building.
    41923648_1113489555468005_5292166639507210240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e667ee2df00ec4475140676dad8b8c3b&oe=5C18E3CC

Added a greenhouse to a park.

42125585_1113490702134557_2681806669435895808_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3d14e1aa002d45e4fe317d60c0fb8187&oe=5C363D64
    42111768_1113490628801231_6554048256073007104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e1da82a9d435e98136b005f7138147bc&oe=5C1E9D70

• Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    Mostly I go in with an idea...start on it and build off of it...often it ends up close to what I had imagined but not exactly for this reason or that

Short version is it's all off my own ideas and playing off my initial ideas, no Google or anything like that
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 872 Member
    Linnsane wrote: »
    So I realllllly love to build, it's probably my faveourite thing about Sims, and I'm just curious! Where do everyone here get their inspiration???

I myself use google, pintrest, youtube and real life as inspirations. I don't have any specific sites I use, but I just find an image and get inspired by that. Right now I'm doing a build thats a Traditional-Modern japanese house for a collab with @MLDesign wich is turning out pretty sweet, I probably never wouldhave had the idea if not for the collab :D So I find that the challenges and collabing with people ahve given me new inspiration, and that is soooo much fun! What are your favourite inspirations for bulding??

I pretty much only build and I get my inspiration from lots of different places. I watch youtube creators and then I go and google certain house types.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Linnsane wrote: »

My fav TV shows - currently The Arrow and The Flash
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Sometimes, I'll see a house I want to build while I'm out walking, but a lot of my inspiraton comes from reading. I've never used pre-made houses or gallery houses - I'm very picky about the way I want my houses arranged, and to me, that's part of the fun of the game - designing and decorating the house.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    When I first started to build houses, way back in Sims2 my inspiration was houses I'd lived in. Or ones I'd been in often enough to have memorized the floor plan.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    edited September 2018
    When I first started playing TS1 back in 2003, I used to have to go to hospital 3 times a week, so to pass the time on the journey I would pay close attention to all the buildings I saw on the way; I used to wonder what that particular building would look like in my game. It's a habit I still have today if I have to travel anywhere. :smiley:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited September 2018
    I never look for pictures of houses or stuff like that, all I build is very improvised. I get a style or an idea in mind and I go from there to wherever it takes me. I also like to build lots with specific households in mind (if they are residential lots) or if it's a community lot with a specific neighbourhood and its inhabitants or with a club I created in mind. This way everything seems more personal and it kind of flows.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I might sometimes see something someone else has done or a house or building that I love in real life and want to do something similar on occasion, (usually it looks nothing like the original) but mostly I just start building and change things until I like the way it looks and the layout. Its mostly just out of my own head... With elements of specific build styles. For instance, I really like the look of 50's modern and Art Deco so most things I build are in the spirit of one or both of those. That said, I've done a few victorian or contemporary inspired builds too.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i'm not even remotely good at building or even creating interesting sims but get inspiration for both all the time, anyway. a lot has randomly been from youtube music videos lately, actually. several sims in both the male and female 25 day create a sim challenges were either the musicians or characters from videos (like the miike snow 'ghengis khan' video that i still can't get enough of)

and then there's this one, some random suggestion. and the entire time watching the video i was "...i want to build that plaza and building in the background" (several households i've created or plan on creating for those challenges were kpop, cpop, or jpop, so i get why the video was suggested. but it was still rather random for me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSzmFLTSdtQ
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I am a landscape designer by trade so the Sims builds are really just an extension of that. My passion is making yards beautiful using 3D modeling software and the Sims is basically that just in game form!
  • LinnsaneLinnsane Posts: 111 Member
    @Hesreal2me I also love landscaping, The Japanese build I'm doing now I feel landscaping is a big part of it, so i have been watching many diffrent videos of japanese gardens to get some inspiration :)
  • BridgetKVBridgetKV Posts: 200 Member
    My building inspiration usually comes from houses that I see in the real world, but more often than not I build a house around the sims that live there. I like making houses look "lived in" and a lot of good touches and details can come from imagining the sim's interests and habits. c:
  • Metzfits84Metzfits84 Posts: 90 Member
    Started a new game with a new sim named Luna Moonman (those who are Harry Potter fans will notice the reference lol) and she has a pet cat named, Moggy, who is an Egyptian Mau. I've tried to make Luna's style as eccentric as possible using what styles of clothing is available in the catalogue, along with traits to match. Hopefully, I've done an ok-ish job lol

I've built a house along with a greenhouse on the same lot, which took 4 hours to build and furnish! I get my inspiration to build my lots from my imagination depending on the size of the lot, type of house I'm building and what style I choose. I like the log cabin and stone-building style. Depending on the Sim's aspiration, the furniture varies too. If they are creative, I always use easels, musical instruments, woodwork, computer for writing, etc.
  • buhlynnduhbuhlynnduh Posts: 90 Member
    Instagram has some cool houses to look at. That’s where I go for inspo.
  • buhlynnduhbuhlynnduh Posts: 90 Member
    Or you know, think about the type of sim you are building the house for. Maybe even do a family first, and get inspiration from the family to build the house. Then you can add both to the gallery!
  • Metzfits84Metzfits84 Posts: 90 Member
    > @buhlynnduh said:
    > Or you know, think about the type of sim you are building the house for. Maybe even do a family first, and get inspiration from the family to build the house. Then you can add both to the gallery!

I add my lots and households to my gallery: Metzfits1984, if you want to have a look. The bowling alley has been downloaded a few times.
  • helen912helen912 Posts: 166 Member
    Hm, I think I am still a child. So, most of the time I play and than, inspired by the characters of my Sims, I start building.
  • VannaMarieVannaMarie Posts: 39 Member
    We do a lot of driving in my household, as everything is pretty far away, so I get to see a lot of really beautiful houses just taking the hour drive to the grocery store. My aunt's a big fan of tag sales too, so we spend weekends going to all sorts of places, and while she's shopping I'm usually taking down notes about things I like (grayscale brick houses with red doors and shutters; houses with colored paneling and certain parts made of brick; certain arrangements of flowers, etc) and sometimes sketch out placements of the fronts of houses. I also love going to realty websites and finding pretty houses, which also come with bonus floorplans! :smile:
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2018
    I google "free floorplans" and try to recreate them, or try to recreate houses that I have lived in or visited frequently enough to be familiar with their layout. Other times, I just draw a large rectangle and subdivide it for the bathroom, living room, kitchen/dining area, office, and bedrooms - I usually prefer not to use foundations.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    I generally bounce between writing, watching some select programs and playing Sims. Doing research for my writing, I sometimes need something visual in order to describe it in my work, so I go online and find pictures of buildings, rooms or objects. In regards to the programs I watch, sometimes it's a room design or an exterior that catches my attention. I also try to let nature inspire some of my colour choices for rooms and furnishings.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Google. I know the styles I like, google it, then look for a build that is possible with the Sims 4 limitations. I always try to make it my own and not just a direct copy
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 696 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm not a very good builder, most of what I've built that I liked were places I've lived in. I have a whole tumblr blog with pictures of houses and other building, inside and out, that serves many purposes that I plan to use for inspiration if I ever decide to try and improve my building skills.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,926 Member
    I get a general idea how the building looks like, then I build until I have an idea how to shape it and what rooms will be in it.
    Sometimes I just put the rooms around and see if I get an idea or not.
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    It depends on what I'm going for! When I'm trying to build houses I tend to find the most inspiration from real floor plans. I have an entire Pinterest board just for saving floor plans to recreate in my game. They give me a nice foundation and outline to start with, and I usually end up branching off that in some way to make it my own!

I take a lot of inspiration from other video games as well. When I was building my Elven forest library, I used references from Night Elven buildings in World of Warcraft (Night Elves are my favorite race, :P ). I've also been slowly working on recreating the Night Elve's Temple of the Moon from WoW as well.
    KtHyY4x.jpg

Sometimes I just find images that I think are whimsical and pretty and I build with that in mind. That's mostly what I did with my Elven gardens.
    yORTieW.jpg

I've only really done one build collab and that was with @Haids5987! We did the Finish My Build challenge! That was a lot of fun, I'm still actually finishing that one, but it really forces you to get creative! With that challenge we each had to begin building/decorating a lot and then upload it very unfinished. The other person had to download it and finish it without removing anything that was placed/built by the original builder.