Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Well I agree if microtransactions are part of it I won't have anything to do with it. If I like a sim game I want everything in it because I'm a simmer. If I feel completely nickle and dimed for every little single thing that would put a halt to my buying. Many of us need all the content... heck if you don't have it in the gallery it messes up downloads. You feel left out. I can hope they would avoid that in the future.
    If it's the way of the world I guess it will pass me by.
    egTcBMc.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    It's probably a little too soon to start talking about micro-transactions. After all we've still got at least 3 more years for Sims 4.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Personally, I think loot boxes or microtransactions would kill the game. This is not the game for that. It never was. It is hard to say what they will do. Right now it is just a job advertisement. We can only hope they have learned from past mistakes. That the players want to play a game where they actually really do rule and it is not just some marketing fantasy.
    We'll probably get something like the Sims 3 store. Totally optional. Maybe some way to earn sim-points in game.
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'd prefer to keep the stuff packs system of Sims 4 instead of an online store. In 4 years, Sims 3 store had content with a total price of over $1,000. Sims 4 stuff packs in 4 years in total cost $140.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    I'd prefer to keep the stuff packs system of Sims 4 instead of an online store. In 4 years, Sims 3 store had content with a total price of over $10,000. Sims 4 stuff packs in 4 years in total cost $140.

Yes, but the TS3 store had 100 x more content! All these great worlds ... am the fun to get up at midnight to buy Sunlit Tides at a sale :D
    Maybe a store and stuff packs.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    Oh, I really liked the store. I understand a bunch of people didn't like it, it was expensive. The people who worked on store items seemed really to care what the customers wanted, they were great at communication.

The only thing that would improve it would be the cost being lowered for items.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    I'd prefer to keep the stuff packs system of Sims 4 instead of an online store. In 4 years, Sims 3 store had content with a total price of over $10,000. Sims 4 stuff packs in 4 years in total cost $140.

Yes, but the TS3 store had 100 x more content! All these great worlds ... am the fun to get up at midnight to buy Sunlit Tides at a sale :D

Oh I forgot it included new worlds.
    I'll be honest I think world packs would benefit Sims 4 a lot so a worlds store would be interesting :)
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    That base game will have to blow everything out of the water...THE BASE GAME...which will never happen. I just don't trust these guys anymore and the secrecy makes it even worse.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I agree. I am not ready for Sims 5 right now. I am not looking forward to buying these same packs all over again. I just got into the groove of the packs we have now. Imagine waiting another 4 years for Seasons and Pets. Absolutely absurd.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2018
    It's like deja vu time here. I have seen the "I don't want *next version* yet because of reasons x, y, & z" on every Sims forum we've had, even on Sims 1 when the Sims 2 rumors started to surface. I remember when we started to hear hints and rumors of Sims 3, and I felt like I wasn't ready.

Things I've learned:

EA/Maxis publish games according to their own time schedule, readiness of fans doesn't seem to play a big part.

Credible rumors and hints of the next version seem to surface about 2-3 years before release. So far the history of the franchise has been on track with this.

Just because work on a current version winds down, it doesn't mean a player is required to give up the game. I still play and enjoy the previous versions, especially Sims 2.

Time marches on. Sims 5 will likely happen in the next 3-5 years whether we want it or not. I'm going to hope for a truly awesome successor to the franchise. It sure beats the alternative, for them to shutter it like SimCity. I definitely don't want that.

I'm actually amazed that simmers always fall into the same stuff over and over again.

And as for DLC, new simmers don't even seem to dream that we have been buying the same packs over and over since TS1. Right now they are buying the same packs TS3 and TS2 had, except they are much more cheaply made. I mean compare Get to Work to Ambitions and Open for Business....ahahaha And they used to cost the same too.

But people like the same themes, they like that content to be in the game again.

I honestly wouldn't mind buying another Up All Night EP for TS5 because it's been a theme I always enjoy in all iterations (well I'm excluding Get Together) as there are simmers who bought every Seasons or every Pets.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    We know Sims 4 has at least 3 years left, which is plenty more time with this game for me. If a Sims 5 immediately follows, I don't mind.

What I don't get is the mindset I've seen around the forums that TS5 will be this vast improvement of The Sims series, the devs will listen and add everything everyone asks for, and we'll get a lot more content in packs. Seems like setting oneself up for disappointment, considering we know absolutely nothing about a potential Sims 5.

But maybe I'm just hesitant to be optimistic because I've been burned before by EA "listening to the players" and making wanted changes in a sequel. They did a lot of things that players were asking for in Star Wars Battlefront II. By all accounts it sounded like the game everyone wanted. Then they added loot boxes and made characters very difficult to unlock without paying, subsequently creating one of the biggest controversies in gaming, in recent years.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm mostly worried about what TS5 is going to be like. Not that I think it will have lootboxes per se, but EA is already trying to get as much money as they can from Sims players. Based on their track record, my fear is that it will only get worse with the next game.
    Oh, I’ve got sceptical written all over me ;) But at the same time I can’t help being curious, if they’ll start working on a Sims 5, what it will turn out to be.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited September 2018
    I like Sims 4 I am with @Loanet. Even though the game doesn't keep me playing everyday like it did because there still isn't enough things for sims to do in my opinion I just like the fact that you can create very unique stories. Sims 5 seems like it would be to like a cash grab game and then charge us for the extra content but we pay way more for the things we want in the game. Like in game purchases and I don't want that. I didn't like Sims 3 because it was harder on my computer it wasn't made for low end computers like they claimed it would be and after playing Sims 4 there are things in 4 that aren't in 3 that I can't over look anymore. I like multitasking I like that my sims just have there own little lives without me telling them what to do and make funny little things happen that I would never think would happen. Meaning that I love drama in my games and the sims 4 has tons of drama without me making it happen.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I don't doubt a Sims 5 will eventually come along, but I believe it won't be nearly as soon as many others around here suspect, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I doubt it will be here anytime soon either. It takes a long time to develop a game. I am still waiting for the remake of Final Fantasy 7 and that was announced a long time ago. I expect it will not be out for quite a long while. If they are planning to make Sims 5, they are only at the very beginning. That leaves little to speculate about atm.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I am SOOOOOO sick of the slightest rumor that EA says "We have exciting news" or "Something exciting is in the works" being turned into "Wow, Sims 5!"

Not that we'll never get Sims 5. I just look at EA and think "How would it benefit them, to be working on Sims 5?" Because that's how you've got to approach this. When is EA going to make Sims 5? When it benefits them. Sometimes I feel like then next Sims game will not so much be Sims 5 as it will be something so different, that Sims 4 will actually keep going.

The last thing I want in Sims games is microtransactions. The problem is it doesn't take a genius to spot room for them. So I'd rather wait for people to stop believing companies when they say that microtransactions make games better/cheaper, and once the golden age of Microtransactions is over, THEN start making it.

Because if, y'know, if Sims 5 had MT, and failed because everybody hates MT, you know somebody from EA would come along and say "Well, this is just a sign people don't want to play The Sims any more" and cut the franchise off.

I remember the days when exciting news meant 'wow, toddlers is coming!' So this is nothing new...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    After 4 years TS4 is as outdated and buggy as all previous iterations were at that point. Why they want to continue this version in all eternity is a mystery to me. I am hoping for TS5, an open world, oceans and houseboats, no lag and Sims who don't hug in the middle of the dinner or wear baseball helmets in the sauna.

You really think Sims 4 is outdated? Buggy for sure, but outdated? What exactly do you mean by outdated? From my perspective Sims 4 is not even close to being outdated yet, I think it's holding up quite well, sans the bugs of course, but it's a game that has proved to add new fundamental features/changes throughout its existence, and it's something we can expect more of in the future (something that can't really be said about past sims games all too much, the foundation never changed, they only added onto what was already there, while Sims 4 added things like the gender customization, changes to the gardening system, new roofing tweaks and so on). So if a game can add fundamental features and changes to tweak or add certain game play elements how can it possibly be considered outdated? But that's just the way I see it. I'm curious to understand your point of view.

TS3 Store Worlds where like small EPs almost. Roaring Heights is beyond anything made in TS4 world wise. Only players have made better worlds and that is because CAW builders do not have deadlines. Roaring Heights blew 'Oasis Springs' or whatever it is called out of the water. Real water that you can swim in that is!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    It's like deja vu time here. I have seen the "I don't want *next version* yet because of reasons x, y, & z" on every Sims forum we've had, even on Sims 1 when the Sims 2 rumors started to surface. I remember when we started to hear hints and rumors of Sims 3, and I felt like I wasn't ready.

Things I've learned:

EA/Maxis publish games according to their own time schedule, readiness of fans doesn't seem to play a big part.

Credible rumors and hints of the next version seem to surface about 2-3 years before release. So far the history of the franchise has been on track with this.

Just because work on a current version winds down, it doesn't mean a player is required to give up the game. I still play and enjoy the previous versions, especially Sims 2.

Time marches on. Sims 5 will likely happen in the next 3-5 years whether we want it or not. I'm going to hope for a truly awesome successor to the franchise. It sure beats the alternative, for them to shutter it like SimCity. I definitely don't want that.

I'm actually amazed that simmers always fall into the same stuff over and over again.

And as for DLC, new simmers don't even seem to dream that we have been buying the same packs over and over since TS1. Right now they are buying the same packs TS3 and TS2 had, except they are much more cheaply made. I mean compare Get to Work to Ambitions and Open for Business....ahahaha And they used to cost the same too.

But people like the same themes, they like that content to be in the game again.

I honestly wouldn't mind buying another Up All Night EP for TS5 because it's been a theme I always enjoy in all iterations (well I'm excluding Get Together) as there are simmer who bought every Seasons or every Pets.

I have my own ideas for 'Up All Night' but my ideas would make the game too adult centric. I personally would want that but The Sims is always kept a teen rating. Shame really as many of the original fans have grown older and don't want the 'silly humour' all the time.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    After 4 years TS4 is as outdated and buggy as all previous iterations were at that point. Why they want to continue this version in all eternity is a mystery to me. I am hoping for TS5, an open world, oceans and houseboats, no lag and Sims who don't hug in the middle of the dinner or wear baseball helmets in the sauna.

You really think Sims 4 is outdated? Buggy for sure, but outdated? What exactly do you mean by outdated? From my perspective Sims 4 is not even close to being outdated yet, I think it's holding up quite well, sans the bugs of course, but it's a game that has proved to add new fundamental features/changes throughout its existence, and it's something we can expect more of in the future (something that can't really be said about past sims games all too much, the foundation never changed, they only added onto what was already there, while Sims 4 added things like the gender customization, changes to the gardening system, new roofing tweaks and so on). So if a game can add fundamental features and changes to tweak or add certain game play elements how can it possibly be considered outdated? But that's just the way I see it. I'm curious to understand your point of view.

The cartoonish artstyle alone helps the game age better. Sims 4 will probably not look "outdated" for years, even after the Sims 5 comes out. It's part of the reason why games like Overwatch, League of Legends, and Fortnite went with a cartoonish artstyle. The developers of those games obviously wanted people to continue playing their games for years to come.

As for the OP's original post, I can see where you're coming from, but I can't say I fully agree. @Loanet If Maxis/EA don't mess up like they did with the development of the Sims 4 and actually develop it with the intention of the game being a single player life simulator, I gladly welcome the Sims 5. Especially since there's always the chance the game will be really good. Personally, I can't ignore that.

That being said, I definitely think it's way too early to be speculating about the Sims 5. On many occassions, the Gurus have stated they have absolutely no plans to stop making packs for the Sims 4 and that they have plans for "YEARS to come" (I don't know where the "3 years" thing came from) for the game. They also stated that they will keep making packs for the game until it "doesn't make sense", whatever that means.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Sims 4 quite a lot, especially its CAS. My personal playstyle makes it fun and the mods I've chosen help with that. But I get bored of the game just a bit too often and I'm tired of content droughts like the one we're in now, where the only piece of information we have on the next pack is some hair I'd never use that a Guru put on their avatar of their Sim. Yay.

And I can certainly say that if I wasn't using the mods I have for the game, I would find it dreadfully boring and never play it at all. It's literally the work of modders that for me, have saved this game.

It's being hyped for the next pack that helps me stay interested in the game, up until the last pack. Then at that point, I can accept that there are no more packs for the game coming out and enjoy the game as it is.

So for me, I'd welcome a Sims 5. A proper reboot is definitely needed.

• AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I like Sims 4 I am with @Loanet. Even though the game doesn't keep me playing everyday like it did because there still isn't enough things for sims to do in my opinion I just like the fact that you can create very unique stories. Sims 5 seems like it would be to like a cash grab game and then charge us for the extra content but we pay way more for the things we want in the game. Like in game purchases and I don't want that. I didn't like Sims 3 because it was harder on my computer it wasn't made for low end computers like they claimed it would be and after playing Sims 4 there are things in 4 that aren't in 3 that I can't over look anymore. I like multitasking I like that my sims just have there own little lives without me telling them what to do and make funny little things happen that I would never think would happen. Meaning that I love drama in my games and the sims 4 has tons of drama without me making it happen.

Pfft, the Sims 3 wasn't even made for higher end computers. I have a pretty decent computer and I'd still experience tons of lag, even when using mods that helped to keep the game stable.

Granted, I did have most of the expansions installed and I was using quite a few mods, so that probably didn't help.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    If there’s any life and money to be made in a simulation game, EA will make it. Sims 5 will come in that case. When It does the sims 4 will still be there and those that like it can still play it.

EA haven’t announced a sims 5 because they aren’t ready to, when it suits them and they have something to show they will. The sims 4 is not endless, it never has been and it will have an end date. I’m not being funny but the amount of bugs the game has does not bode well for future proofing it’s performance.

And while I agree about micro transactions and hate them with every bone in my body, I am sure if they can find a loophole to get them in a new sims game they will.

If they catered to fans of the sims 2 and 3 and moved the series forward instead of rolling it backwards I think a sims 5 could potentially do well with the right audience. That being said I have zero faith EA will make that game. Sad but true.

They're not going to announce Sims 5 until it's either ready to launch or very close to completion. How many people, after Sims 4 was announced, didn't bother with Sims 3 content like ITF or the later Store packs? I never really got far into ITF (other than the bot making -- loved that) because I was looking forward to Sims 4.

There were a lot of issues with Sims 3; save bloat that led to save corrpution (Error Code 12 and 16). Mac players had to play under the Cider emulator instead of the native-coded versions we had from Aspyr (I was on a Mac back then though I'm on Windows now) which degraded game performance. The memory implementation was poorly done -- important events, sure, but how many people need to remember grwoing a perfect apple tree or tomato bush?

I don't really want open world if it means my Sims are stuck in the same world from birth to death -- I rarely got a save past the second generation either because the save would get corrupted, or more likely there would be a new world (either in an EP or from the Store) and I'd be off to go pursue the new shiny. Eventually Sims 4 will stop production -- the game engine won't be able to handle more content. But if they can learn from some of the mistakes in the Sims 4 launch (don't leave out key life stages, just for one) they could take the best of all the games -- the whimsy of Sims 2, the creativity and life (story progresson!) of Sims 3 and the flexibility of Sims 4 all in one package.

Even The Sims 2 had an unnecessary amount of memories. Why do my sims have to remind themselves of all the cockroaches they've seen in life? I do not remember the first cockroach I saw!
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    Here's reasons why I don't want Sims 5 and don't think we'll get it anyway. Whether we need it or not is a bit too subjective.

1: I like Sims 4

Yeah, yeah, I like Sims 4. Not as it is, but the style, I especially like that. Enough of that.

2: No announcements from EA.

Face it, people are always thinking with every press conference there will be an announcement. But there hasn't. Then again, the announcement of a Sims game would overshadow the next FIFA, which is EA's big money. You need to tell yourself, "It'll be announced when it's announced". People were even anticipating it before Cats And Dogs!

3: Microtransactions

We're currently at the peak of the era of Microtransactions. EA's even fighting to be allowed to keep lootboxes still in games like FIFA! Sims 5 doesn't need lootboxes, but EA is so adamant on them right now that I wouldn't be at all surprised should they get them if it was released before lootboxes quit. We don't need the idea that they can make us pay 99p to unlock each item, releasing new skins every day. But if it comes out at the wrong time, that's what we'll get.

4: Expansion Packs

Games cost a lot to make. Expansions are cheap. Why spend all that money on a new game when you can pump out packs infinitely? There's so much missing. Many people call for a University pack, but they seem to fail to realise that the content that came in University can be split up between three or four packs, meaning that you'll get the content, but you won't necesserily get the university world. I'd rather have a pop-stars pack myself. There are potentials for circus packs. Others want Farming. It's hard to know what will go in Game Packs and what will go in Expansions, but either way it's a cow that can be milked indefinitely.

The announcement of Sims 5 would risk crippling the sale of packs. People would think "Why buy more packs when they'll be out of date in a few months?" And I wouldn't blame 'em. Others might think "Sims 4 is being cut off early. Why buy Sims 5 when the same thing is bound to happen?"

5: Consoles have just come out.

The Console release is fresh in the air. They haven't even finished catching up with packs. Why would they put off console owners when they haven't even caught up? They want console owners to buy all those packs too. Furthermore, console owners would now expect to have their own version of Sims 5. Which would certainly bring in the money if Sims 4 gets a good reception there, but would also take a fair time to convert. And indeed, Sims 4 wasn't designed to share formats with Consoles. Would a Sims 5 be treated that way? EA says it's a 1:1 conversion, and it's close, but that took effort. Would SIms 5 be lower quality, just to fit easier for a console release at the same time?

6: What would they do differently?

No, not "What haven't they done yet?" or "What can be fixed?" What would happen differently in Sims 5 to Sims 4? A full Open World sure sounds nice, but could your computer handle it? Please, I know it's something you want more than anything, but would your laptop be able to deal with an open world without obscene lag? We have glass roofs and hexagonal roofs and conical roofs. Districts have just been developed as a kind of open-world substitute. We want vehicles but we don't actually need them when everywhere is just a load screen away.

7: Technical reasons.

Sims 1 was a pretty simple game; it looked good because nothing like it had ever been done before. It wasn't even proper 3D.

When Sims 2 came out, it was a radical improvement, mostly funded by the success of Sims 1, and the discovery that yes, there was a market for games that had something other than shooting people in the head or running and jumping. As for Sims 3... well, it ran on an upgraded engine of Sims 2. It was Sims 2, but it took advantage of the success of Sims 2, and of stronger computers to make it bigger. They knew from the start that there was a limit to its engine, and that meant they'd have to make a Sims 4. If you need proof, the number of packs for Sims 3 is roughly the same as Sims 2. THIS is the reason for the four-year gap thus far, And Sims 4 still wasn't completed in that four years. Remember pools and Ghosts weren't completed at release and they only started Toddlers after release and it took a year - but we do have the best toddlers ever.

Now, they could have made a Sims 4 exactly like Sims 3 and have a space limit again and people noticing that they might as well be playing Sims 3... or they could put together something very different that could expand indefinitely. Something with the Pixar-style graphics that wouldn't go out of date or enter the Uncanny Valley. Something that could be expanded upon and improved indefinitely and need never come to an end. They can add pack after pack forever, and keep tuning up things like gardening and building and in time, open swimming.

Considering EA's track record with developers, I can't see the devs being in a rush to go to them and say "People are tiring of Sims 4 and we're running out of ideas, could you give us the money to make an exciting and radically different Sims 5? It'll be quite expensive and take a few years but-"

"Stand on top of that trapdoor; you'll find your answer at the bottom."

I'm expecting an announcement at the end of the month during the maxis montly livestream.

For Sims 5? I think that'd be jumping the gun a little bit? I mean they have surprised us before, but has an announcement for the next entry into the franchise ever happened when they're just starting work on it and possibly 4 years before release?

For all we know, it could be a spinoff game like The Sims Medieval or The Sims Stories, not Sims 5. We're about the right time in Sims 4 development for a spinoff to be considered. Some of the ideas Grant's thrown out in his tweets, like post-apocalyptic world, would better suit a spin-off than the core Sims 4 game.

It is SIms 5. No spin-off games as considered an AAA game, nor Expansion Packs/Game Packs/Stuff Packs. But, guys, stop overthinking, they are still hiring people to work. They will not announce something they have not even started to produce!