Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!

Comments

• cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Wr2hKWH.png
    INTERMEDIATE RESULTS FOR #BnS201 - The Hawthorne Project - Part 2
    3gHHX7s.png

@Kgaff
    42038995302_3d89d00c1d_c.jpg

@cwaddell
    rSz9kPf.jpg

Suggestions:
    The rooms feel a little empty. There are very few places for any guests to be able to sit. I would also worry about getting my feet wet from the shower when using the toilet! A curb could have finished off the look nicely.

@suzses
    41322305835_8a279d7fff_c.jpg
    AND THE WINNER IS....

@Suzses!
    Honorable mention for @cwaddell: it was such a close call!

Optional Challenge winner:
    @Kgaff

Congratulations all for making it so hard to judge!

Thank you for holding the contest and for your suggestions. It was fun making a fairy tale cottage.

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all the entrants. I enjoyed seeing all the cottages.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited July 2018
    Wr2hKWH.png
    Intermediate Results for #BnS203 - East Meets West

@Kgaff
    Q0Pxqbb.jpg
    Le Petit Chopstick is such a gorgeous restaurant! The architecture certainly helps set the tone for the Asian inspiration. Your choice of columns outside and your use of the pergola out the front are both well thought out. A love that you’ve included parking and that little Japanese style garden alongside the fountain with lily pads is just lovely! The rear walkway also fits well with the exterior style. Inside, using that fish window as a barrier in your waiting area is inspired! You did a really great job with the server/clearing station. And I have to comment on the tables in the dining room with those little plants in the bases, such ingenuity!

Suggestions:
    I feel that you are missing some columns on the front exterior of this build, where the roof juts out, I think one on either side would have helped give it some ‘support’. Although I get the slight French vibe as you say from the awnings, they are the only areas that I can see the French inspiration, I think given the brief a little more European influences in your build would have helped you meet the brief. Also, and this is just me being ever so picky, I felt that your showcase didn’t really give great detail of your build, the overviews are useful as to layout, but it doesn’t really give a sense of the detail.

@suzses
    PUYPCr0.jpg
    Lemongrass is a stunning piece of French architecture with the tiniest nods to the Asian style, you have perfected the blend quite wonderfully. I especially like that Asian style window on either side of the frontage of your restaurant. The exteriors, in general, are lovely, the planting is well placed and that rear delivery/storage area is wonderful! Inside that meld continues perfectly with the use of the Asian style top to the half wall and the otherwise classic French furnishings, you did a great job creating a server/clearing station. The indoor gardens that you can see through the windows is such a fantastic touch.
    Suggestions:
    I would have liked to have seen a sink/hand washing facilities in the server/clearing station.

@paneinger
    KQGhd3f.jpg
    Le Bleu is a really stunning piece of modern Asian architecture, the way you have placed different styles of windows really adds interest and curb appeal to the lot. I must say that area over the water is simply stunning, so well executed!! And I love those ‘arches around the side. Inside you can tell the French influence, you have made some great use of Custom Content without going overboard/ I adore those ducks flying up the wall in the sushi bar area as well, such a cute little touch!
    Suggestions:
    The kitchen feels a touch bare to me, perhaps a little more clutter around and about the place would have added a nice touch of realism to the build. I wonder about having that same floor tile throughout the build? Maybe had you used a different tile in the kitchen and washroom areas it would have helped differentiate the spaces?
    3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is….

@suzses

Congrats!! You are hereby promoted to Advanced!!
    3gHHX7s.png

GArBA5W.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Thank you. :)

And . . .
    Congrats!! You are hereby promoted to Advanced!!

I wasn't expecting that.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited August 2018
    YEW12tS.png
    Advanced Results for #204 - Dream A Little Dream.

@Mederouin
    llH8av3.jpg
    Your build will certainly make an impact on a client! I like the way your build showcases both the structure and the landscaping, using each to mould the other. It also gives the architect a gorgeous view, perfect for gleaning inspiration for the next project. I like how you have the little fountain waterfalls trickling down the rockery.
    Inside is equally lovely. Welcoming and cosy, I imagine anyone working here would be comfortable and relaxed in their surroundings. Clients are spared too severe of a setting and might even get an idea or two for what they want.
    The bridged hallway is a lovely touch, and the break room and porches offer several ways to relax at lunch.
    I especially like the attention you paid to the architect's office, lots of places to work and a variety of items which reflect the profession nicely!
    Suggestions:
    I think the only thing I could suggest is perhaps closing the kitchen off a bit more from the reception area. The storage shelves and potential dirty dishes might be better tucked more out of sight than front and centre upon entering.

@suzses
    exqwfhL.jpg
    This is such an elegant and well-designed build! It's modern without being severe. I especially love the central atrium, how the build wraps around it. I think clients would be very pleased to hire this architect to do their own commercial buildings, too!
    There are many little details which speak to the consideration you put into this build and its occupants. I like that the architect's offices have interior design elements as well as construction elements, that really speaks to the whole building instead of just a single aspect.
    Seems like this would be a great office for expanding into with more employees. I'm sure Rose will love her new position!
    Suggestions:
    The smalls trip of landscaping in the back seems a little less well executed than the indoor spaces. Aesthetically your outdoor objects don't really flow with the rest of your build. Perhaps a larger lot would have allowed this to expand into a more usable space.

@paneinger
    vK5pFmM.jpg
    I love your unique take on this challenge!
    Starting with the architect's office, it's clear you've designed this as a very individualized space with many little touches of personality all over! I really like the MOO you used on the drafting table with the shelf over it.
    As for the rest, it's a delightful collection of little shops you've imagined here! I especially like you can go out or run errands without ever leaving the lot! You're set for breakfast, lunch, and even drinks after work!
    Each space has its own design which suits its theme. Anyone of these businesses would be a pleasure to work in.
    You really made this a whole community instead of just one office! I can see why this would be your dream office, especially with a spa nearby.
    Suggestions:
    I wish I could have seen this beautiful commercial collection along a street where people could get at it! It seems a little strange sitting out in the middle of nowhere on its own.
    On the presentation side, there were some 'sky holes' where upper levels weren't visible, and we were missing the overall view of the upper floors, which would have helped place some of the pictures.
    3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is

@Mederouin!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Congrats @Mederouin ! I love your lot.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    YEW12tS.png
    Advanced Results for #205 - Back to Basics

@creativemetaphor
    eLeOg2E
    I love the curb appeal of this home! The white picket fence is so charming, and the front gardens are very inviting. Great use of the terrain editing tool and terrain paint to add dimension to the lot. I like how the home is built into the surrounding rock giving the ground floor a cozy feel. Great job on the living and dining areas. The colors and patterns chosen blend well and give a well-planned look. Nice use of MOO to create interesting combinations of the base game items. I like that the children’s rooms fit with the overall style of the home. The design throughout was very cohesive.
    Suggestions:
    I feel like the exterior window and door trims didn’t blend as well as they could have with the stone siding choices. Could you have used CFE and terrain editing to camouflage the exterior flooring that is visible in the overhead/roof on shot?

@Mederouin
    swkoYt2
    What a cute little converted schoolhouse! I love that the building has been repurposed as a home but still retains the charm it had in its former life. The cupola with school bell visible through the windows is just perfect. Cute mud room with “built-in” benches. I love the use of blue in the wallpaper, curtains and rug in the dining room. Cute kitchen – love the coordinating curtains on the windows. The children’s rooms are nicely done, and how clever to have egress windows! The butterfly treatment over the crib is very cute.
    Suggestions:
    Not sure about the use of the pool float in the master bedroom. It didn’t seem to fit with the other décor. There were a lot of wall colors inside – a more cohesive design plan can sometimes be more impactful.

@suzses
    EIh2ZN4
    This home also has plenty of curb appeal! The upper dormer is perfectly proportioned, and I love the siding choices. Cute front porch with tidy, lined flower beds. Good use of terrain paint for the driveway. I love the fenced back yard with the deck for BBQing and swing for the kids. The living and dining room on the ground floor are nicely done. I love the blue of the couch cushions that is carried over onto the dining room chairs. Cute kitchen with a functional, open layout. I like the recessed area for the stove! The upstairs bedrooms and bath are so sweet.
    Suggestions:
    The curtains in the teen room didn’t quite fit the windows, and the backyard landscaping was a little bare compared to the front and sides.

3gHHX7s.png

And the winner is

@suzses !!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Thank you :) I really liked everyone's houses, and it was surprisingly fun to "go back to the beginning" with this.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited September 2018
    Wr2hKWH.png
    Intermediate Results for #205 - Back to Basics

@Kesminlix
    PtBjCCK.jpg
    The exterior of your home is lovely, the siding matches well with the roofing that you chose, the roof, by the way, is well done also. The planting suits the style of the home. Your floor plan is lovely, there is a real flow to the build. The furniture you have chosen compliments the style of your home, and your palette is lovely, with the more simple wall colours and the pops of colour, especially in the kids' bedrooms. My favourite space has to be the toddler room, it’s so peaceful and well laid out!

Suggestions:
    I wonder what it would have looked like, had you chose to emphasise the entryway with another separate half gable roof. It just seems to blend into the background as it is. Think of your showcase as a story, if you show the home as a tour, it would be easier to differentiate the different rooms, labels would also help and are useful to help us judge. Also, think about including more than one shot of each room, so that we can get a real sense of what else is going on in them.

@Kgaff
    ITVgPP9z.jpg
    Wow - the house you recreated is just stunning! The exterior is gorgeous, with the railings, the siding and the roof all blending incredibly well. The landscaping is well thought out and lovely. That backyard is so darling. The layout is typical for that style of home and actually works really well for in-game as well. Your interiors really do match the exteriors, the whole home feels cared for and lived in. The palette you have chosen is incredibly sympathetic to the style of the build and makes for a very cohesive interior. You made some really great furnishing choices as well, nothing feels “out of place”. I think my favourite place is that master bedroom, it looks so elegant and comfortable!!
    Suggestions:
    I am having to be incredibly picky to give you any suggestions, the bay window roof feels slightly off, as it sticks out a tad too far, but I know that roofing is incredibly limited. And upstairs, some shots within the second bathroom and yellow bedroom would have been nice, instead of just seeing them from above.

@iampes23
    8Se2HLE.jpg
    WOW!! The home you created is stunning! So modern and elegant, simple lines, simple exterior colours, but with lush planting and terrain. Your backyard is simply stunning. The corrugated roofing really adds to the modern effect, which is great! The little gnome by the entryway is a great touch as is the security system. Your layout is great, I can tell you put thought into how this build would play in game. The interiors are fab, the mid-century modern touches here and there, and that very modern panelling, actually blend well alongside some more traditional object choices. That sundeck is such a great addition!
    Suggestions:
    Perhaps a couple of plants on the sundeck would have helped it feel a little more welcoming, it feels a touch bland out there at the moment.

@cwaddell
    b1ikcbZ.jpg
    Your Basic Beach House is gorgeous my dear, the exterior is so well suited to that theme. The raised decks add so much interest, as do your wall treatment choices and even your roofing, there is nothing ‘basic’ about this house! Your planting out front is well suited to the style and you have made some good use of the terrain painting tools. Your interior layout works well, there is plenty of space for a family to live here. Your palette choices work well in each individual room. My favourite space is that first raised deck area from the pool, such a great idea!!
    Suggestions:
    I have a couple for this build, the place feels a little barren in places, there is no ‘clutter’ around, the kitchen area especially feels too empty. The other is to really think about your palette overall, not just in individual rooms, the three bedrooms feel wildly different and as such the interiors feel incredibly eclectic. Perhaps had you chosen a more neutral wall colour and kept the touches of colour it would have been more in keeping with the modern style that works so well in the rest of the build.
    3gHHX7s.png

And the winner is….

@iampes

Congrats and you are hereby promoted to Advanced!!

GArBA5W.jpg
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Congrats to @suzses and @iampes23 . Everyone did a great job and WOW all so diverse with many great ideas that I will steal to use in future builds. @iampes23 your house was a cut above and well deserving of your promotion to advanced. I really mean that, not just because it gives us intermediate builders more of a chance to win. :)
    Thanks @cwaddell . Congrats @iampes23 - your house is beautiful.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited September 2018
    cwaddell wrote: »
    Congrats to @suzses and @iampes23 . Everyone did a great job and WOW all so diverse with many great ideas that I will steal to use in future builds. @iampes23 your house was a cut above and well deserving of your promotion to advanced. I really mean that, not just because it gives us intermediate builders more of a chance to win. :)

@cwaddell LOL thanks!
    @suzses Thanks very much!

Wow! I can't believe it--and I don't feel advanced at all. It has been several years since I even played, so thank you all. I feel everyone did a fabulous job!

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    Congrats @suzses and @iampes23 , congrats on your move to Advanced :)

This was a fun one to see what we all could do with just the basics.

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    Thank you :) I really liked everyone's houses, and it was surprisingly fun to "go back to the beginning" with this.

Congrats and well deserved! Beautiful home. :)
    edited October 2018
    Wr2hKWH.png
    Intermediate Results for #206 - We Need Some Space

@Kgaff
    44777519942_a062b85694_c.jpg
    I love the “pod” layout of the build. Very creative “water and air inputs.” The porthole windows are a great choice. Love the futuristic vehicles in the transportation chamber. The labs are state-of-the art and nicely done. The living areas are just perfect – modern and sleek like a real space habitat would be. The holographic walls with scenes of home are a nice touch.

Suggestions:
    I really can’t think of much to add - it was super creative and nicely done! You did have about 60,000 left to spend, so maybe some more electronics/gadgets could have been added if you had room for them.

3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is….

uU282zj.jpg

@Kgaff

Congrats!! :)

Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
    YEW12tS.png
    Advanced Results for #206 - We Need Some Space

@Creativemetaphor
    8zOZ8tx.jpg
    M.A.R.S. Colony 6 has such a creative backstory! I love all the thought and detail that went into this. The layout of the habitat is nicely done – love the different pods and the core module. The use of the glass roofing is a cool idea. Love the detail of the observation deck and air purification systems. The choices of textures and patterns on the exterior of the build is fantastic. I love the command module with reclining chairs for take-off. Great details in the storage areas. All of your different areas are so well-researched and true to life. The crew living space is perfectly laid out with no space left wasted. Love the little personalizations in each of the crew sleeping quarters. The greenhouse is fantastic – love that you’ve included bees for pollenization.

Suggestions: Could have you made the glass roofs slightly less pointed on top? I feel that may have tied things together aesthetically a bit better.

@mederouin
    EG7da55.jpg
    I love the idea of the colored panels – very creative! The common areas are utilitarian but thoughtfully designed. I love the pop of red in the living area flooring. The garden is nicely done, and very creative to have added the pool there. Interesting crew quarters with both single and double rooms. Great details in the storage areas

Suggestions: I saw a few candles in the quarters which took away from the realism somewhat (fire hazard). Captions on your pictures would help judges better understand your design choices.

@iampes23
    MT5uXQh.jpg
    Great details provided in the brief to explain the personalization of the crew areas (100 lbs, ability to choose color palette) The vehicle bay is perfect with all the tools needed to keep the transportation and habitat at large in working order. Love the medical bay! The colors add a warm touch. Love that you’ve thought to include food animals in the habitat – very practical.

Suggestions: n/a

@MeestorMark
    Hxuq1u1.jpg
    MARS Station Zulu is fantastic and looks like a very realistic prototype! The exterior siding choices are just perfect, and I love the greehouse roofs. The solar panels and rover vehicles are just perfect. The interiors are very futuristic, and I love the orange as the accenting color - it stands out nicely against the utilitarian grey of many of the surfaces and textures. The living quarters are utilitarian and small which I find very realistic. The creativity of the garden area is amazing. I love the ladders between levels!

Suggestions: I can't think of a single thing I'd change design-wise. Adding captions to your pictures would help the judges out though ;)

@suzses
    Yj4bQQJ.jpg
    I love the layout of the build and the exterior design choices! Those domed roofs are just perfect. And thank you for the image captions - they are very helpful! Love the garage and robotics lab. The zoological research area is such a creative idea! Gorgeous botanical area. I love the variety of edibles included. The bedroom spaces are very nicely done with a mix of utility and personal touches. The design of the common living areas is beautifully done. Love the engineering bays!

Suggestions:If anything, it's almost *too* pretty for an extraterrestrial habitat? But, if I had to be away from my family in a tiny research habitat, I'd certainly appreciate the beautiful touches.

3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is….

Zow4S6H.jpg

@MeestorMark

Congrats!! :)

GArBA5W.jpg
    Congrats to you @MeestorMark! Very well deserved.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Congrats to @Kgaff and @MeestorMark ! And great work everyone, such a fantastic future Mars city we've got started!
    @Kgaff I love your build. Congrats to you.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Wr2hKWH.png
    Intermediate Results for #207 - Back to their Roots

@Kgaff
    qFXDHm8.jpg

Love the layout pictures and their nice labeling! (Thank you for that!) It looks like a great layout and I particularly love the way you did the gardens and orchard area with the trees around the outside and that curvy path through the herb garden. You used a nice mix of terrain paint textures and flowers, rocks, and flowering shrubs varying from minimal to full blown without going over. It’s also wonderful that both the Chens got their own offices. If I were to offer a suggestion it would be to include a paved path to Dr. Chen’s Herbal Remedy shop from the side road to take advantage of its position on this corner lot. On another note, you stated, “I tried and tried to make an arched bridge but CFE and I do not get along well.” I often build up landscaping on either side of the bridge and place foundation there. Then I CFE across the middle where it’s the highest elevation. Then, I remove my dummy foundations and lower the terrain a bit. I put foundation on that terrain and run it for a ways so that I can CFE across the bridge from two locations on one side to two locations on the other side. Then, you delete the dummy foundations and lower the terrain again. REPEAT until done.

Sim Challenge: I really enjoyed looking at all the pictures of the Chens enjoying their country life. I’m glad you bought them sprinklers to help out with the gardening, unlike poor Suzses’ family! It was also nice to see your sims had time to enjoy that pond and a little recreational reading. (Hmm, maybe not really recreational as they were both probably busy catching up on the latest law or medicine news.) All the pics were great, really showing a day (or more) in the life of the Chens; and I particularly loved the thought bubbles and the story one could put to those. If The only suggestion would be a bit more commentary either on the pictures or along with them.

3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is…. @Kgaff

uU282zj.jpg

GArBA5W.jpg
    YEW12tS.png
    Advanced Results for #207 - Back to their Roots

@iampes23
    ilIIQq6.jpg

I love that you shared the vintage house and floor plan with us: I too love finding just the right home to sim and tweak! You certainly gave the Chens a comfortable home with extensive garden and orchard trees. I love the stenciling on the free walls, the pretty marbled bath fixtures, the inclusion of the martial arts and alchemy, the wood throughout, the tile combinations in baths and kitchen, and the coy pond. My only suggestion is that the many varied colors and patterns, while adding a nice variety, tend to detract from an overall cohesiveness.
    Your pictures of your family, their pets, and the fires give us a great sense of the Chen’s life style. I particularly love that the cats are Siamese and Balinese. They fit the theme purrfectly.

@suzses
    UF0eYwC.jpg

I like the way you varied the siding with vertical on one level and horizontal on another, as well as the use of that textured vertical paneling, and I particularly like the curve and texture to the back patio area. I also love the soft crème walls with the muted wooden floor, all the wooden furniture, and the Asian touches throughout. The one thing I’d like to see is a continuation of a path from the drive to that gorgeous back patio area. I would have loved to see some more pictures of the Chens in their new home. I enjoyed the few you included in uploads.

@creativemetaphor
    mXNnz8C.jpg

Very nice use of a traditional layout with the long hallways and center courtyard! I love the wallpaper style carried throughout the build with those doors and fences. The pavilion, arched bridge, sauna, Asian furnishings, and even a shrine are all great inclusions. If I were to be really picky, and I am in order to find a suggestion for improvement; then, I’d say the bright yellow of the dining room wallpaper seemed a bit out of place among all the light crème of the rest of the walls.
    Just a curiosity question for you, is there a problem gardening on the uneven terrain by the bell peppers?

@mederouin
    Aa8OS7V.jpg

I like the natural landscaping and interesting layout of gardens with pretty rock walls, the stream, the greenhouse, and the gorgeous wrap-around fence with rockers. I also like the inclusion of a sun room at the back of the house with access to the backyard. One thing that came to mind with the first picture was the height of the foundation. It just seemed excessively high. With your skills, I know you could have taken off up to half that height and still incorporated perpendicular stairs in the walk up and a nice porch.

3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is… Not the expected farmhouse, but a home that was designed to reflect a desire for a simpler life for the Chens -
    @creativemetaphor!

g53AJXC.jpg

Advanced Sim Challenge winner – @iampes23

TyqJrd1.jpg

GArBA5W.jpg
    @BuildnShare Wow thank you! :) And great work to all the other entrants!

As for the garden, I'm *pretty sure* that I can harvest the bell pepper, but I will confess I didn't make Sims this time around and didn't have time to test anything. I know I have gardened on uneven ground but not sure if this exact situation would work or not.
    Congrats @Kgaff @creativemetaphor and @iampes23 . Great entries all!
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    Thanks for the win! And thanks especially for all the support from everyone here! We all did a great job again!!!
    Wr2hKWH.png

3gHHX7s.png

Intermediate Results for #208 Fall Showdown

@Kgaff☆
    dAbZ6O3.png
    My favorite part of the house is the kitchen. I love the white cabinets and cupboards and way you added the green rug, curtains, and wall shelves to accent the leaves on the cabinetry. Outside my favorite is the stream and its environs. Your use of terrain paint and varied vegetation is spectacular! I also love the gazebo and the way you wound the wisteria around the columns. My suggestion, abet a small one, would be to bump up the ground level under the gazebo and outdoor fire pit with the small staging foundation or just using alt when placing the foundation so it’s only one step high (and then, of course, using alt to place steps so you only get one step). This would add just a bit more realism as it moves away from the flat 2D into the 3D feel.

@Lilypink79
    pUBl7qu.jpg
    I love the brick texture of the buildings combined with that slightly faded wood and those stone pavers. The vegetation is varied nicely and frames both the buildings and stream well. You did a great job with textures, terrain paint, and clutter throughout. My suggestion for improvement would be to simply NOT forget about the ceilings: I’d love to see some texture on the ceilings.
    I love that you included a family complete with pets, and this was the perfect build in which to include a horse. Those first pictures of the cat on the newspaper made me laugh, and I love the picture of the dog peeking out from under the bench as well!

@ADWilson
    CLnganD.jpg
    Great name! I love the mix of fencing, making it seem more open, along with the hedges, rose bushes, and plants along it. I also love the idea of incorporating an artist studio and a hot tub, and I particularly like the flower-lined path on the way to the hot tub. My suggestion is that I like the way you did the walkway (behind the house/between it and the artist studio); but I wonder if a different colored tile (added in the blank spots where current tiles meet at right angles) might keep the same effect while making a more complete walkway.

3gHHX7s.png

And the winner is...

uRrP4Aa.jpg

@Lilypink79, who could easily advance to the next category with inclusion of some more challenging building aspects, such as CFE and terrain sculpting.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Congratulations on your win, @Lilypink79 !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top