Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you invest in a better PC for a next gen sims game?

13...Next

Comments

• JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    I don't replace my PC unless it's about 4 years or older. But when I do go buy a new PC I always ask the sales clerk if it's Sims compatable.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    leetamme wrote: »
    I don't replace my PC unless it's about 4 years or older. But when I do go buy a new PC I always ask the sales clerk if it's Sims compatable.

The mistake a lot of people make is trusting store clerks, and not paying attention to the hard drive. Off the shelf pcs or laptops have a basic hard drive of about 5200 or 7200 speed. (Data transfer rates). They can buy a new card, a new PSU, more RAM and even take extra care to make sure those processors are the best, but most of the time they forget about the hard drive. And that is sometimes where the slow down occurs, if everything else is perfect. It would be a good idea to invest in a SDD next time instead of a basic hard drive. And try to remember these video card manufacturers often referbish refurbish (I must have ferbies on my mind) a card and slap a new name on it. And just because a video card is new doesn't mean it's any better than the one they released four years ago. More research is always a good idea and never trust a store clerk.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes
    Yes I would. I have done this in the past. Every time I have purchased a laptop I have specifically asked if it can run at least the current generation of Sims games (and Sims 2 LOL). I bought this current laptop just 2 years ago for Sims 4, as well as Sims 2 which I have played on all 4-5 of the laptops I have owned so far. It has held up very well for both games (even after upgrading from Windows 8 to 10). It looks like I may have to upgrade AGAIN unless I can just get a better battery or new AC adapter because it's currently not charging correctly for some reason. I am taking my laptop to Best Buy this weekend because I also need this laptop for college this semester (online class starting in October). If I have to upgrade, I already know Sims 2 and 4 can run on Win 10 so whatever I end up doing will most likely work for whatever game comes next in the series.
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    No
    I have a computer that can run TS4 on the highest settings, but I still voted 'no' because The Sims (nor any specific game) is never a factor when I choose to upgrade or not.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Yes
    The Sims isn't the only game I play. I don't have much of an option if I wanna keep playing AAA games.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yes
    The Sims isn't the only game I play. I don't have much of an option if I wanna keep playing AAA games.

Same here. I upgrade my pc about every 2 and a half years. That is pretty standard for most gamers I know to do The one I am using at present is the second one I had for the Sims 4. Technology upgrades and changes so fast now a days if you don't upgrade every other year - well you won't be playing most of the newest games out there very well. It's why I play on a gaming desktop because it's a lot more affordable to stay up to date with a great system than it is to use a lap top.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Yes
    I guess yes but I am sure my PC will more than get the job done considering I play other games with much higher requirements.

Honestly, I wish they would make this game use higher requirements because I am sure that is what is limiting the game overall.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes
    I voted yes because if Sims 5 does show itself after 4 years or more, I may need to invest in an new system. However, for now all my systems are up to snuff even though I have yet to get an 1080/1080 TI/2080/2080TI but I am comfortable where I am at and slowed down because I see no need to waste my money on every new device that comes out. I never buy an system just for one program, it is usually for almost every program that can run on it comfortably. However the PC market these days unlike yesteryear is changing very rapidly and you can go broke trying to keep up with it.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Yes
    Of course. I don't think I'll need to, but I was already looking at another graphics card upgrade.
    p6tqefj
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    No
    Voted no because such a Sims game would sell so terribly it'd kill the series as a whole.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    Voted no because such a Sims game would sell so terribly it'd kill the series as a whole.
    I had to buy a new computer to be able to play Sims 4. Just saying.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    i bought the one i play on this year for sims
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    Yes
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Would you be interested in a sims game with very high graphics, open world, much like other next-generation games like GTA, tomb raider, etc?
    The worlds would be alot richer and bigger, the streets more populated, but it would require you to upgrade to a gaming PC?
    Take TS3 as a reference but think about way better optimization and stability and much higher graphics settings, better lighting and textures. And the sims would be more detailed, realistic and customizable.

Key question: would you invest in a much better machine for a much better sims game?

EDIT: This is directed to those not playing TS4 on the highest settings. Those that have PCs that run TS4 on the highest settings easily should vote Yes because they already fit the criteria as TS4 isn't exactly heavy on gaming rigs.

I AM playing at the highest settings and I would absolutely get a new computer to play Sims 5 if I had to. I'm planning on it already!
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • BibbaBibba Posts: 23 Member
    No
    I voted for no, just because I probably won't have money for a new PC. If I would have, and new game would be amazing, I would buy new one :) .
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2018
    No
    Personally I don't think Specs would go up enough to need a new PC. At most I might need a new Graphics card. It's not like I play on a Laptop. It all depends on what Sims 5 were to do differently.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    I bought a gaming pc when cats & dogs came out and can play on highest settings now, before I played on my laptop(which surprisingly worked really well). I wouldn't buy another computer though.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Yes
    I already did. My husband made this PC for me. It's as big and powerful as he could do so no matter what they put in it, I don't have a problem.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    No
    I already have a gaming laptop, so at this rate I'm still waiting for the Sims to get to a point where it can catch up.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes
    I've upgraded several times for The Sims. With the still-hypothetical Sims 5, however, I would want to see what 'improvements' they make to the game before buying it, let alone dropping a couple thousand dollars for a new computer. (I also wouldn't assume that those who have a top-end computer wouldn't need to upgrade in another two or three years.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    I wouldn't get a gaming computer because it's important for me to have a touch screen one and I couldn't afford one either, that being said I did update my old laptop with the main reasons being a smoother Sims 4 gaming experience (updated to an Intel core i5 from i3).
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    No
    I chose no because I don't let games decide when I want to upgrade. They influence what computer I will buy but not when I will buy it.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    Yes
    Yes its no differant to the last 20 years i have been playing pc games, they become more demanding.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Yes
    PCs cost too much to upgrade every couple of years. With Sims 4 on consoles now if your pc can't run it you can play it on PS4 or Xbox 1 and it's the same game ported. Hopefully console and pc versions of Sims 5 will be available on release date of TS5 but then that's over 3 years away as we still have 3 more years of content for The Sims 4.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes
    My boyfriend works in IT and the computers we own all have good specs and can handle most games that are out today (haven't come across anything I can't run yet), so I don't know if they'd need to be updated. I guess it would depend on what changes in the years between now and the next Sims. If necessary, I'd get a new computer or upgrade one that we already have though.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • Spyguy747Spyguy747 Posts: 26 Member
    No
    I don't think there are many who would buy a brand new PC for JUST a Sims game. Considering gaming PCs can be anywhere around 1k ... I doubt many people would think spending about 1k is worth playing a Sims game.

However, if increasing specs, gameplay, and decreasing disappointment it COULD be worth it.