Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roof frustration

earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,026 Member
simple dumb question: why the plum is it so frustrating to place a roof in the game?

Long story: I'm trying to build a park and I want 3 foyers in it. I managed to build the first foyer and somehow I could place a roof over it. Then I copied it to make 2 more. Of course the copies don't include the roofs...or stairs.

Now, no matter what I do, I can't place the roofs over these foyers like I did on the first. The grid is there, but no matter how I drag it, they won't go ON the grids as they should. I can only build them on the ground. Can't move them above the room, no matter how much I try.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix this 🐸🐸🐸🐸? Why did they make the building system so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 complicated while claiming it's so much simpler? Because I'm really frustrated here.

I need a drink.

ETA:
BJn5irO.jpg
NK4koaX.png

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Maybe try putting a platform under it first? I'm not sure if the glass roof will the delete it automatically but you can try.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,026 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Maybe try putting a platform under it first? I'm not sure if the glass roof will the delete it automatically but you can try.

I don't really get what you mean? It already has a platform???
    NK4koaX.png
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    Maybe the second building isn't recognized as a closed room?
    I dunno... It actually DID tell me you can't place roofs in enclosed rooms when I attempted it.

Found a workaround: I built a square room and I could actually place a roof over it, then cut the corners by building triangular rooms and deleting them. Still wish it was much simpler than this though.
    Problem solved.
    NK4koaX.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    I find roofs very frustrating. I think if you swap out the fencing for standard walls it is better, and then swap the walls to fences after doing the roof.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Yes, roofs can really infuriate me sometimes. I see you found a way around it, yes, the best solution for these situations is first make the fences walls and close the room fully, then after the roof is placed, substitute the wall for fences and open a side if you want to.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
    I did make them walls and it didn't work, because the game can't recognize the octogonal room as closed for some reason. When I built a square room, it worked.
    NK4koaX.png
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    earthgirl wrote: »
    I did make them walls and it didn't work, because the game can't recognize the octogonal room as closed for some reason. When I built a square room, it worked.

Might be a bug then.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited September 2018
    On your original building there is fencing where the opening should be by the stairs... Was there originally a wall or door there when you placed the stairs - &/or the roof? Any idea why there is not an opening there now? Perhaps you placed the original roof while there was a gate or open space at the stairs, and you need to do the same thing for the copy of the building to get it to accept the roof?

I miss auto-roofs. :|
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    Build a platform or room on top of your posts then knock down any walls and place your roof.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,224 Member
    Or if you don't want to use walls, connect the columns with spandrels.
    image.png
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Build the ceiling. It will not allow you to place the roof otherwise. Click on the floor and select build the ceiling, if it will not allow you, replace the fence with walls, build it, and put back the fence.
  • IggIgg Posts: 275 Member
    I was just playing around with a structure similar to your build. When I looked at the structure from an angle like in your pic, I got the red like you did. When I looked at the structure head-on, the roof went right into place.

Also when I was looking at an angle, if I went passed where it looked like the roof should go, it would pop up into place.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    edited September 2018
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Build the ceiling. It will not allow you to place the roof otherwise. Click on the floor and select build the ceiling, if it will not allow you, replace the fence with walls, build it, and put back the fence.

Yeah, this was what I meant with the platform. Sorry if it was unclear. But I meant put a platform on the "second floor". It might be a bit tedious with the octagonal shape. I don't know why the game doesn't recognize it as a room even when you built it with walls first. That should not be the case. Did you try to use the preset octagonal room tool?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    SiliClone wrote: »

It's funny, because I tried building a ceiling and it went the same exact way as the roof - on the ground floor! Even after building the walls, mind you.
    NK4koaX.png
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    did you try removing the foundations? building something like that is extremely frustrating. I usually place the roof I want to use on the ground and build the room around it, otherwise the roof will not go in place after.
  • Kathy090660Kathy090660 Posts: 813 Member
    I have so much trouble with roofs too I could figure anything out with the sims 3, but 4 is just not the same I have a hole in one of my roofs I can't seem to close and the walls are all fine but the hole wont let me close it
    newsims4siggg_zps62d6d1ba.png

A Rainbow is a promise of God
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I actually like the TS4 roofing tool when compared to the ones in previous versions of the game. It is so much more versatile and the update we got before the Cats and Dogs EP gave us even more options.
    Granted, it takes a bit of practice to work with this tool, but once you know how it works, you can really build amazing things with it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Never found it frustrating to place roofs. It takes some practice, but it is quite simple. I never had the problem you are describing, even when making copies. From the picture, it looks like your building had no ceiling to place the roof upon. I also always build with wall and put in fencing/ralingings after the roof is placed.
  • emipantalonesemipantalones Posts: 1 New Member
    I know this is a really old post, but I recently ran into the same issue myself and indeed found the solution!

The issue....is your glass roof in the background there. If you have any roofs on the property that include a glass texture, second floors & roofs stop functioning properly. Why? Who knows! All I know is, I've gotten into the habit of texturing my roofs last to avoid this issue.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who happens upon this thread.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Thank you, folks for the suggestions! I likewise have a lot of trouble with TS4 roofs, unlike TS 1 or 2. They are often a bear to work with, have fewer options than in TS2, and the hipped roofs - after all these years - still don't place fully with proper eves. (?!) While some things about TS4 build mode are an improvement, roofs are not one of them.