March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag spikes and chrashing

Maybe the wrong place to post this, but what do you do/clear out when the game starts to crash and have lag spikes etc? I am so far only on second generation, and my game is starting to act up. I do have a pretty nice gameing pc, so don't think that should be the issue

Comments

• kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,087 Member
    So weird thing is, if i google it, it tells me to delete what's in my cashe file, but it's empty already?
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    edited September 2018
    How many items do you have in your screenshots folder? I've found that removing it helps reduce lag immensely if there are a lot of screenshots in there.
    Are you sure there isn't a localthumbcache.package file in your Sims 4 folder?

Edited for spelling
    No I found the localthumbcache.package.file and deleted that, what I meant was I also tried to empty the cashe folder, but it was nothing in it. Also is there any point in deleting the tray folder?
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    The tray folder contains the sims and lots that you have saved to your library, so if you don't want to lose them don't delete it.
    The cache folders contain thumbnails from the gallery that are deleted the next time you start up the game. (I could be wrong on that). They don't need to be deleted as they are cleared automatically and won't have anything in them if you have not looked at the online gallery in your last play session.
    ok, that explains why it was empty then :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,479 Member
    Hello
    If you have cc/mods in your game, move your whole mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the issues are still there. If it has helped with the issues, put your mods/ CC back into the newly generated mods folder that is in the sims 4 folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the causes of the problem.

If the issues still remain, repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try resetting your sims 4 folder, starting a new save game file, and testing to see if it also occurs there . To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated.
    Start a new game and test to see if the issues are in that new save game.
    Exit the game and then copy back the "options.ini" or "options" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders from the desktop sims 4 folder to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders from the desktop sims 4 folder.

• EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi @kiwi84 and @afai1261 ,

As Bugs & Issues and Technical Help now have a new home on Answers HQ I am closing this thread.

@kiwi84 Please don't hesitate to re-create the topic over on Technical Issues forum on AHQ.

Thank you for understanding.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top