Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Missing Emotion

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Black would make for an interesting UI color if fear ever gets added.

good idea @Brindleton
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I'm not really sure what a new fear emotion could possibly add that isn't already covered by Tense and Uncomfortable. What I do want is the possibility to set specific fears for individual sims in CAS, though, like a fear of dogs for example, that would make affected sims tense when a dog is around.
  • Options
    iamsweetmysteryiamsweetmystery Posts: 250 Member
    In theory, yes, black would be good. However, in a practical sense, legible print in the moodlet box might not be as simple.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    Two questions.

First, how would a fear mood be expressed in sim behavior? And second, how would the fear moodlet be dealt with other than either leaving the presence of whatever made the sim fearful, or else just overpowering it with other moodlets?
  • Options
    CopendraCopendra Posts: 8 New Member
    I have an evil vampire Sim that nobody in the worlds seem to fear. They are shocked and dislike him when he drinks from another sim, but have no fear, otherwise. It is extremely hard to story-tell with that. He could be disliked for anything else, but there is nothing separating him from any other sim in terms of interpersonal interactions.
  • Options
    I would say that fear would be best dealt with by going away from it. Then again, intense fears could also possibly be slowly overcome by exposure. That seems the most realistic approach. Perhaps not the most convenient, but certainly realistic. I think the power of a fear moodlet could be adjusted accordingly. +1or +2 for mild fears, higher for more intense ones. It could even stack from "Afraid" to "Very Afraid" to "Terrified". Sims could even potentially be, literally, scared to death. The Book of Chaos even does this, after a fashion. If you use the "Scare" option, it's just like the Mischief interaction except that it gives the Sim a fatal heart attack.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm not really sure what a new fear emotion could possibly add that isn't already covered by Tense and Uncomfortable. What I do want is the possibility to set specific fears for individual sims in CAS, though, like a fear of dogs for example, that would make affected sims tense when a dog is around.

These aren't accurate emotions, however. 'Tense' is what you feel when you're overworked. 'Scared' is what you feel when you're outside in a thunderstorm (or you should be, anyway). It's especially inaccurate for toddlers, who feel 'sad' about nightmares, ghosts and thunderstorms. They aren't sad, they're frightened.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Four storytelling purposes fear would be VERY helpful. Interactions with vampires, aliens and the reaper should lead to fear. The more cowardly Sims could even faint from such encounters.
  • Options
    V_IceV_Ice Posts: 49 Member
    Admiration should be its own emotion and should have a bar to measure how well a Sim approves of another. It would work perfectly when you bring in a Late Night/Show Time-like Expansion Pack.

Sims who are admired feel happy and seems who admire get to fawn over their target and temporarily forget about any other emotions they may have been feeling if the sim they admire is nearby.
  • Options
    V_IceV_Ice Posts: 49 Member
    I also never noticed fear wasn't already a part of the game. Wow, fix that please.

Add a new trait. In fact, it would have been a perfect addition with the Seasons Expansion Pack.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited September 2018
    These aren't accurate emotions, however. 'Tense' is what you feel when you're overworked. 'Scared' is what you feel when you're outside in a thunderstorm (or you should be, anyway).

You're right about the definition of the term, but TS4 has always taken liberties with its portrayal of so-called emotions (I'd say "dazed" isn't actually an emotion in the true sense of the word), and the way "tense" comes up in the game, I've always interpreted it as sims being psychologically uncomfortable with something, be it fire, an earthquake, the fun bar being low, or just too many people in the room if they're loners. So yeah, "scared" is what people should be when they're facing a dangerous situation, but the game makes them "tense" instead, so fear is actually in the game already, just under a different name, that's what I was trying to say.

Peral wrote: »
    Four storytelling purposes fear would be VERY helpful. Interactions with vampires, aliens and the reaper should lead to fear. The more cowardly Sims could even faint from such encounters.

Well, I don't think I'd want fear to add to the discrimination against aliens that is already going on in the game. It's weird how every sim, independent of their traits, reacts negatively to finding out that someone else is an alien. So if fear (either as a new emotion or some kind of trait) ever becomes a thing, I'd like to decide for myself who or what my sims are afraid of.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018
    Well, I don't think I'd want fear to add to the discrimination against aliens that is already going on in the game. It's weird how every sim, independent of their traits, reacts negatively to finding out that someone else is an alien. So if fear (either as a new emotion or some kind of trait) ever becomes a thing, I'd like to decide for myself who or what my sims are afraid of.
    @GrumpyGlowfish I do agree with you on the alien discrimination. My doctor sim (who is a hybrid alien himself) was giving one of his patients (incidentally, they were an uncle or cousin or something) an X-ray scan. The patient was an alien and the scan showed this. Then, a horrible notification popped up saying something along the lines of “Alek has discovered that X is an alien. I don’t know what it (the game’s italics, not mine) expects from this visit, but let’s pretend as if we haven’t noticed”. It - the game called an alien it. To me that was just too close to speciesism and made me uncomfortable. I love my aliens.

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    They should add the fear (Scared) emotion. It's long overdue.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    rienremirienremi Posts: 6 New Member
    > @MaggieMarley said:
    > GrumpyGlowfish wrote: »
    >
    > Well, I don't think I'd want fear to add to the discrimination against aliens that is already going on in the game. It's weird how every sim, independent of their traits, reacts negatively to finding out that someone else is an alien. So if fear (either as a new emotion or some kind of trait) ever becomes a thing, I'd like to decide for myself who or what my sims are afraid of.
    >
    >
    >
    > @GrumpyGlowfish I do agree with you on the alien discrimination. My doctor sim (who is a hybrid alien himself) was giving one of his patients (incidentally, they were an uncle or cousin or something) an X-ray scan. The patient was an alien and the scan showed this. Then, a horrible notification popped up saying something along the lines of “Alek has discovered that X is an alien. I don’t know what it (the game’s italics, not mine) expects from this visit, but let’s pretend as if we haven’t noticed”. It - the game called an alien it. To me that was just too close to speciesism and made me uncomfortable. I love my aliens.

I think the discimination against aliens is valuable in so far that it reflects our society, where there is a lot of debate regarding migration. I use it in my plays where I got two politicians competing for power, where the migration from Xisam is the most important topic. One is pro the other one wants to send them all back to Xisam.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I mean, I want fear and Jealousy in the game too, however it shouldn't be an automatic emotion. in certain cases, in terms of life states.
    Some people fear the unknown, while others embrace it.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    True and that's where Traits would come in. Traits like Coward, Courageous, or Nihilistic could individualize how a Sim approaches potentially frightful circumstances.
    9ndehwc.png
  • Options
    layix3nglayix3ng Posts: 111 Member
    Fear would be a great addition to emotions. Sims can then develop phobias, which they may choose to overcome or just deal with everyday
    *insert cool siggy here*