Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Discuss "Sims 5" Project: 06 NEW GAME MODES

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2018
    Something I’d like to add: I wouldn’t like a system where traits can change. In terms of, I wouldn’t want a loner to turn into a party animal by sending them to X parties, I’d want them to really hate those X parties equally. What I would like is some sort of a training system for kids. Not in terms of a trait being replaced, but just less strong (which is why I’d like the slider system for personality traits). So if you’d teach a kid that’s born extremely sloppy to clean and tidy up because it simply has to be done, whether you like it or not, that would influence the slider (to some extent, again, I wouldn’t want a totally sloppy person to turn into a super neat one).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I'd like for the zodiac to return but I'd want to pick some of my own traits and my own zodiac sign. They could mix it up, have certain traits pinned to the zodiac and have individual traits.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    TanjuskaTanjuska Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2018
    Awesome topic. Personally I'm not interested in zodiacs as they don't tell anything about a person in real life. But I do want meaningful traits and I want a lot of them to choose from. My idea would be to have 5 traits in total and so that a child would have 2, teen 3, young adult 4, adult 5. Or something similar. Maybe even bonus trait for elders, don't know what that would be but people change thrue out their life. Maybe the bonus trait for elders could be something like 'wise' 'forgetful' 'grumpy' 'sweet' that would unlock interactions specific for that bonus trait.
    I wan't likes and dislikes. I would like to customize what their attracted to and there for also sexual orientation or have asexual sims. Also there should be one sided feelings.
    Memories that might or might not add some aspects to personalities, like say your sim lost a mother at a fire your sim could then be afraid of fire and would take precautions or avoid certain situations. If your sim have been cheated on your sim might be more prone to trust issues and so on. And on that note better reactions to things happening to your sim or around your sim.
    I don't want to get rid of emotions but it really needs to be done better than it is now.

Not personality related but I would like to have gradual aging but if that's not possible to do then i would like to have 3 or 4 new lifestages added.
    So there would be babies 0-1 year old (free from the crib) and they would learn new things like roll over and hold their head and so on, so that it feels like they are growing.
    Then toddlers (1-3 year old) that would actually learn to walk and talk and so on.
    Young children (4-6 year old). Again gradually learning more skills.
    Then children, like they are now. (7- ~10) But I would like them again to gradually get more interest that would make it feel like they are growing. First crushes could come at this stage.
    Young teens would come next. (~11-14 year old) Puberty, so mood swings, rebelling (severity would depend on personality and relationship with family) all of those aspects of that stage. But again the changes should be gradual and puberty doesn't start at the same time for every one.
    Then older teens as they are now (15-17) so more mature teens but still teens. Gradually becoming more mature. Can still be rebellious/ have puberty but they slowly become more mature.
    Ya would stay the same (18-28)
    Adults (29-49) stay the same as now
    Middle aged (50-65) Slightly older looking adults basicly.
    Elders (66- until death) now for elders I would like to have 2-4 popups to make them look/feel older as time goes by... So the popup would give you the ability to either keep the sim the same or change them and the changes would include things like more wrinkless, more hunched back, walking cane or rollator and maybe even a wheelchair. And the pop ups would come at certain ages like 75, 85 and 95 or something similar (what ever that means in sim days)
    That might seem like a lot of birtdays to some but I think it would actually be nice if you could choose yourselfs what ages are actual birthdays or you could choose the reaction to birthdays. And by that I mean if you choose all the stages as actual birthdays and they react to missed birthdays like they do now then they would get sad if you don't hold some kind of celebration. But you could just choose the actual birthdays to be like they are now and then only those age ups emit negative emotion if forgotten. Or don't choose any and non of the age ups will give negative emotions if not celebrated.

Also different hight sims. Either with slider or with 5 presets.

Totally went of the actual topic sorry :#
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited September 2018
    Sjofn wrote: »
    My problem with the zodiac was that if I was making someone whose sign I knew, the personality wouldn't necessarily match. I remember neither me nor my husband, if I wanted our personalities to be remotely close, matched our actual zodiac, and that bugged me. <3

That said, I'd like the zodiac to come back as something you pick for a sim, because those are one of those silly little things that help you feel like you're fleshing out your sim, and can get incorporated into an attraction system, etc. I also think the more 'favorites' the better. Even if they don't have a huge impact, they're fun.

I really liked the TS3 system for traits, although I agree that not all traits are created equal as far as impacting a sim. Something like 'vehicle lover' feels more like a quirk, while 'genius' should be pretty obvious.

TS4's traits ... I think they impact more than people really give them credit for, sometimes, but it varies pretty wildly from trait to trait. Plus environmental buffs are just way too powerful, which kind of overpowers the moodlet-adding traits pretty easily (my poor Gloomy dude's +1 Sad stands no chance whatsoever without the mods I use, for example). That contributes to the bland way a lot of them feel, I think.

@Sjofn Could you please tell me which mod you use to tame the environmental buffs?
    And, hm. In SIms 2, outside the CAS your older sims could influence the younger sims to change their personalities, but this didnt change their sign. Maybe they could do it like in Sims 3 where the traits you pick would influence which lifetime wishes, but you could choose another one instead. This would give the random for those who want the random, and would also give the freedom for those who want the freedom.
    DeKay wrote: »
    I don't want zodiacs if they're gonna do it like how did did it previously. Zodiacs are just tied to your birthdays literally and not your personality. Now, I tend to make a lot of sims with similar personalities back then and they all have the same zodiacs, so it defeats the purpose for me.

I am fine with the personality trait in TS4 some examples being the sims with the certain trait would have a special option to talk about it to other sims, etc) but it needs more stuff added to it like an option for us to add favorites and dislikes.

Turn on and off's would be nice too.

@DeKay In fact, astrologers claim that the astral map does influence your personality. There is just no scientific proof of this.
    Besides that, now that you mentioned that the zodiac is tied to birthdays, maybe in Sims 5 basegame they could add the calendar, dividing the 4 weeks into 12 sections for each sign.

And, yes, i used to love turn on and off's.

@Tanjuska I love the idea of special elder traits. That would help to make them look more like elders, probably the elderistic elders from all Sims games.
  • Options
    peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    edited September 2018
    For traits and personalities it definitely has to be a mix between the sims 2 and the sims 3/4

You would start by assigning point to the 5 main categories like the sims 2

Sloppy/neat
    Shy/outgoing
    Lazy/active
    Serious/playful
    Mean/nice
    These traits like the sims 2 would affect sims is big ways such as changes in animations for various tasks, need decay, autonomy, and reaction to tasks (basically like how they affect sims in the sims 2)

After that you would be able to flavor your sims with additional traits like the sims 3 or 4
    Toddlers would get 1 traits, children would get 2, teens and adults would get 3. Certain traits would be unique for different age groups which sims would then be prompted to change on age up. For example only teens and older could be flirty, only toddlers could be clingy, and only children could be tattletales. These traits would further affect sims changing their autonomy, giving them buffs, changing skill gains and need decays, etc.
    examples of traits could include flirty, neurotic, cheerful, goofball, snob, creative, virtuoso, etc. Basically anything that doesn’t fall under the 5 personlity categories where you adding points,or anything that is related to likes or dislikes.

Finally, to flesh out sims even further you could assign up to 5 likes and dislikes. Like with traits, some ages would have unique likes and dislikes, and every time a sim ages up you would get a dialogue that allows you to change their likes and dislikes. You could also change likes and dislikes by buying a aspiration reward.

Likes and dislikes would affect autonomy, mood/emotion, and possible even add buffs. For example if a sim hated playing music, they would become bored when playing music and would rarely do so autonomously. Meanwhile if a sim likes something they are more likely to do something autonomously and may occasionally get a buff making them happier.

Finally emotions would return from the sims 4 but they would actually affect sims autonomy and interactions (not just animation differences and voice differences)
    Sad sims would talk to people less, angry sims would be more likely to do mean socials, embarrassed sims would talk to strangers less and wouldn’t flirt autonomously. These wouldn’t completely override traits, personality, and likes/dislikes. For example if you had 10 niceness points and were angry, you would probably take it out on yourself or swear, but would not want to hurt someone

Emotions would also change sims autonomy with objects. Energized sims would use exercise equipment more, playful sims would be more likely to play with toys or play games, and sad sims would be more likely to write in diary, listen to sad/emotional music, or paint etc.

Finally while this is about personality the sims 5 should bring back the play menu from the sims 2 so sims (especially children) can play games together.
    Post edited by peterskywalker on
    True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • Options
    SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited September 2018
    Karon wrote: »
    @Sjofn Could you please tell me which mod you use to tame the environmental buffs?
    And, hm. In SIms 2, outside the CAS your older sims could influence the younger sims to change their personalities, but this didnt change their sign. Maybe they could do it like in Sims 3 where the traits you pick would influence which lifetime wishes, but you could choose another one instead. This would give the random for those who want the random, and would also give the freedom for those who want the freedom.

Yeah, a system where after you plug in stuff, it suggests a sign would be fine (since I have no idea what sign I'd want some of my sims to be, so whatever got assigned, sure, whatever), so long as I wasn't bound to it. I'm not a SUPER ACTIVE WOO person, so in TS2, it never let me be a Sagittarius. ;)

As for the mod, I use roburky's No Happy Environment Moodlets. In combination with some of his other mods, Emotional Inertia, Variable Emotional Traits, and Uncomfortable Overhaul, my sims are definitely no longer in a perpetual state of bliss any more, and the Sims that have mood-based traits like Gloomy or Hot-headed really seem it. It's really nice!

(Full disclosure, though, I help test a lot of his mods, so I'm a little biased. :P)
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2018
    I personally like having a zodiac simply because one exists in RL. Though, to me, it doesn't mean anything. Not even in RL. What I don't like about Sims 1 or 2 was already mentioned. It was difficult to make a sim that was a Virgo without having all Virgos seem alike. In RL, two people of the same sign can be very different. I like that in Sims 3 I could create whatever sim I wanted and then paste on a zodiac without it really changing anything—that I could notice.

I do like the personality system of 1 and 2. I found it very diverse. I also find the trait system in 3 to be nicely fleshed out, for the most part. Though evil baths and extreme showers don't really add anything to gameplay. But many other traits do add a nice touch to making a sim feel unique.

I haven't played 4 in a long time. I gave up on it and this forum due to me not really being into the new and shiny. I just came here today for the heck of it and noticed I was mentioned. Yeah. I'm still alive and still playing the older games. All I know is upon reflection, The emotional system and utopian feel is what killed 4 for me. No sim feels unique and happy, happy, joy, joy gets old and boring after a while. I won't bother about the rest. Still waiting to see if 5 will be an improvement.

*sips iced tea and goes back to lurking until I find something better to do today :)

EDIT: forgot to add reason I posted in the first place:

I still think a hybrid of personality and traits would be ideal. I like having favourites and feel they should add more to gameplay. I also feel we can do away with silly nonsense like Extreme sleeps and Evil showers. If they add something to gameplay, sure, add them in. Otherwise, find something more useful to waste time with. I just don't have any suggestions on how to make it great.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Sjofn wrote: »

Yeah, a system where after you plug in stuff, it suggests a sign would be fine (since I have no idea what sign I'd want some of my sims to be, so whatever got assigned, sure, whatever), so long as I wasn't bound to it. I'm not a SUPER ACTIVE WOO person, so in TS2, it never let me be a Sagittarius. ;)

As for the mod, I use roburky's No Happy Environment Moodlets. In combination with some of his other mods, Emotional Inertia, Variable Emotional Traits, and Uncomfortable Overhaul, my sims are definitely no longer in a perpetual state of bliss any more, and the Sims that have mood-based traits like Gloomy or Hot-headed really seem it. It's really nice!

(Full disclosure, though, I help test a lot of his mods, so I'm a little biased. :P)

Thank you, @Sjofn. I'll try those mods!

For traits and personalities it definitely has to be a mix between the sims 2 and the sims 3/4

You would start by assigning point to the 5 main categories like the sims 2

Sloppy/neat
    Shy/outgoing
    Lazy/active
    Serious/playful
    Mean/nice
    These traits like the sims 2 would affect sims is big ways such as changes in animations for various tasks, need decay, autonomy, and reaction to tasks (basically like how they affect sims in the sims 2)

After that you would be able to flavor your sims with additional traits like the sims 3 or 4
    Toddlers would get 1 traits, children would get 2, teens and adults would get 3. Certain traits would be unique for different age groups which sims would then be prompted to change on age up. For example only teens and older could be flirty, only toddlers could be clingy, and only children could be tattletales. These traits would further affect sims changing their autonomy, giving them buffs, changing skill gains and need decays, etc.
    examples of traits could include flirty, neurotic, cheerful, goofball, snob, creative, virtuoso, etc. Basically anything that doesn’t fall under the 5 personlity categories where you adding points,or anything that is related to likes or dislikes.

Finally, to flesh out sims even further you could assign up to 5 likes and dislikes. Like with traits, some ages would have unique likes and dislikes, and every time a sim ages up you would get a dialogue that allows you to change their likes and dislikes. You could also change likes and dislikes by buying a aspiration reward.

Likes and dislikes would affect autonomy, mood/emotion, and possible even add buffs. For example if a sim hated playing music, they would become bored when playing music and would rarely do so autonomously. Meanwhile if a sim likes something they are more likely to do something autonomously and may occasionally get a buff making them happier.

Finally emotions would return from the sims 4 but they would actually affect sims autonomy and interactions (not just animation differences and voice differences)
    Sad sims would talk to people less, angry sims would be more likely to do mean socials, embarrassed sims would talk to strangers less and wouldn’t flirt autonomously. These wouldn’t completely override traits, personality, and likes/dislikes. For example if you had 10 niceness points and were angry, you would probably take it out on yourself or swear, but would not want to hurt someone

Emotions would also change sims autonomy with objects. Energized sims would use exercise equipment more, playful sims would be more likely to play with toys or play games, and sad sims would be more likely to write in diary, listen to sad/emotional music, or paint etc.

Finally while this is about personality the sims 5 should bring back the play menu from the sims 2 so sims (especially children) can play games together.

I think that everyone agrees that the emotions system is overpowered in Sims 4, but I have a philosophy that nothing should be discarded, everything should be reused for something better. The same way i believe that a Sism game would win more if it used both personality points and the traits together than excluding one to add the other. I even think that the emotions should be given a overhaul in Sims 4, but in Sims 5 i really don't want them to be affected by random objects. A sim in mourning manages to be happy just to stop in a well decorated room. Surreal.
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    I personally like having a zodiac simply because one exists in RL. Though, to me, it doesn't mean anything. Not even in RL. What I don't like about Sims 1 or 2 was already mentioned. It was difficult to make a sim that was a Virgo without having all Virgos seem alike. In RL, two people of the same sign can be very different. I like that in Sims 3 I could create whatever sim I wanted and then paste on a zodiac without it really changing anything—that I could notice.

I do like the personality system of 1 and 2. I found it very diverse. I also find the trait system in 3 to be nicely fleshed out, for the most part. Though evil baths and extreme showers don't really add anything to gameplay. But many other traits do add a nice touch to making a sim feel unique.

I haven't played 4 in a long time. I gave up on it and this forum due to me not really being into the new and shiny. I just came here today for the heck of it and noticed I was mentioned. Yeah. I'm still alive and still playing the older games. All I know is upon reflection, The emotional system and utopian feel is what killed 4 for me. No sim feels unique and happy, happy, joy, joy gets old and boring after a while. I won't bother about the rest. Still waiting to see if 5 will be an improvement.

*sips iced tea and goes back to lurking until I find something better to do today :)

EDIT: forgot to add reason I posted in the first place:

I still think a hybrid of personality and traits would be ideal. I like having favourites and feel they should add more to gameplay. I also feel we can do away with silly nonsense like Extreme sleeps and Evil showers. If they add something to gameplay, sure, add them in. Otherwise, find something more useful to waste time with. I just don't have any suggestions on how to make it great.

The day I got the Sims 2 to work on my notebook, I stopped playing TS4. I love the looks of TS4 and its promises, but I really get discouraged after a few hours because the characters do not look like they are alive, they do not seem to be part of the community they live in. Do not remember anything, do not get sad or angry, and their personalities are subjugated by op emotions.
    I would love it if in TS5 developers bothered to fix things that caused corruption in The Sims 2 instead of getting rid of them. Pretending that something has never existed is too easy a solution. I want their personalities to make each character react differently to other personalities that lviei n the samecity, I want the things they do in their lives to become memories that affect the sim and their family played in the short and long term.
    I want "personality" to be something that really means something in the game. It was really hard ot get Sims 2 to run in my modern notebook, and i am really afraid that in the near future I will not have a replacement that is up to The Sims 2 magnificence.
  • Options
    Guys, i had an idea the other day about including not only personality points and traits in the game, but also an "archetypes" feature where you could choose things like "rockstar behaviour" (this sim would do the "sign of the horn" as a greeting, they would pose like a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 we they are standing still, they would use lingo that would sound like things that a rock'n'roll lover would say... etc...), "sportsman/sportswoman" (only those sims that have this archetype will randomly do push ups and thins related to sports randomly, i hate to sims my lazy sim doing push ups at random in SIms 4 and that would fix this)...
    I think that the better way to explain it is with a "Pirate" archetype. The sim that had this archetype would act all the time like our sims act when they are in the "Talk Like a Pirate Day". It would affect how they sound when speaking, gestures and behaviour... :D
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    03 ART STYLE
    This week’s theme is all about appearance. How do you want Sims 5? What do you think it should look and what you would never enjoy in the franchise? Share your ideas with us!
    Feel free to talk about previous themes, and to suggest next themes for our project. This is the time to talk about Sims 5 and how we want it! The Sims franchise is as much ours as the producers, so let's show them what we want before it's too late.

Bella_Goth%27s_Original_Appearances.png

I was on youtube when I stumbled upon this video where SimmerJonny discusses how he would like the sims and the game to look. If you watched it you’ll see that he says that in the past he wanted The Sims 5 to look more realistic than any Sims era looked like, but that he now wants it to look extremely cartoony stylizes, more than Sims 4.

For me, I like how the sims 4 looks. It resembles a lot how Sims 2 looked, and I never liked how SIsm 3 characters where done. Just like Sims 4 evolved Sims 2 art style instead of trying to create something random, I want Sims 5 to evolve Sims 4’s design, I don’t want it too realistic but I also would hate if it was too stylized like a Disney cartoon. The Sism 4 art styles is one of the only things I think was done right, cuz it looked like Sims 2. The problem in the game was that it just looked like sims 2, when all gameplay receded to even worse than Sims 1. The game appearance is not an excuse for its shallowness.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    If it's anything like what Maxis seems to be looking for in their new positions opening up, Sims 5 (if it even is TS5) will not be a cartoony interpretation that Sims 4 is, but a much more realistic style akin to 2/3. Personally, I prefer the cartoony style because of its ability to stand the test of time in terms of visual quality, while the definitions of "realistic style" vary widely as the years and the graphics have progressed and gone on. What was considered realistic style in 2009 would not stand the same chance against what is realistic style in 2020(?); but people have their preferences.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2018
    It's a little hard to talk about personality without talking about mood/emotion system, because you can't talk about personality without talking about the way it would effect a sim's mood, or emotion, but I'll do my best not to.

The main personality:

I think sims in TS5 should keep the traits. If you have personality points in the middle of the bar, it's as if your sim doesn't have the slob or neat trait, it's neutral, so I don't see how one would win over the other.To me, personality points or traits end up being the same thing almost, all that matters is how detailed you make the traits and what traits you make.

However I think the number of 5 traits should be brought back, so that sims have more specific personalities and allows for more combinations of traits to be done. I think 3 traits is all too short and broadens the personality instead of making it more detailed. But....! I think the traits should only be put into the game if they affect the interactions of that sim with other sims and the surrounding world in significant ways. There were lots of traits in the previous games, TS3 and TS4 that ended up being useless.

Traits should effect interactions in the way that some will not appear, and other unique ones might, with unique animations, for the different traits. A mean sim, shall not compliment anyone's home. I know some people would be very uneasy about this "forced" choice, but if you don't have this kind of restriction, we will end up with traits not mattering again, and it's a vicious cycle. If you don't want a mean sim don't make a mean sim.

Onto interests:

Interests would be something I'd definitely bring back and would favor over favorites if it's ever something that needs to be prioritized. Interests should for the first time be chosen when making a sim for the first time in cas and later altered if needed by researching on the internet for that subject (similar to reading magazines in TS2 but more in tune with today's times) multiple times to get a fuller bar, or by talking about such subject with other sims or even practicing said interest.

Sims with the same interests and/or traits should level up their friendships quicker. Interests should also dictate, what a sim is attracted to do, a sim with interest in sports should more often exercise or play physical games like snowball fights for example. Couch potato sims with an interest in sports should more often watch sorts on the TV or check for game results on the internet instead of actually practising them. This way simmers could also tell stories about an artist who lost interest in art, etc. A lot of detail could go into this.

And just to gloss over Zodiacs, the point of having them in previous games was like a satire that people's zodiacs were indicators of personality, it was a fun little thing. It's not something that could be done, exactly the same way with traits unless you account for every trait combination, but it's not really important to me to have it in the game. I am a proud Scorpio irl but I just don't think it could make much sense to have this in the game as a personality focus.

Aspirations:

I think Aspirations on TS5 should not be part of a sim's personality like they were on TS2, which a lot of people forget, it worked almost like a trait. I think Aspirations could be just "filters" for lifetime wishes, kind of like in TS4 CAS, however, instead of having TS4's partition goal oriented ones, you would have TS3's singe goal.

For example, within the Romance aspiration, you could choose your sim to have the Gold Digger lifetime wish. They are just filters to choose the lifetime wish in CAS, and you'd still be able to change them mid game. But some wants/fears would still be related to that aspiration (well, or whatever want system they include).

Favorites:

This would be something also worthy to add since it would drive sims to choose certain things and enter certain patterns that would make them more unique. Food, drink, music genre, film genre, etc, would all be great additions.

Biographies should also not be discarded, they could add more personalized flavor and story to each single character.

Also, I think it would be interesting to choose the dominating hand in cas if it's a feature that ever goes into TS5 (it's a hidden trait on TS4), it's a small thing, but it's sorta funny and relatable.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    "...Graphics are the bridge between the gameplay & the player". Preference wise, I like cartoonish style, at least for TS franchise genre. I've watched the video by SimmerJohnny. Though the idea is fun & interesting, I don't want to play TS characters that have big eyes & head either (stylised graphic). It's just not right. I play other types of games that vary in terms of genre & art style. I do like a realistic looking character in games (like in the other games that I'm playing), but it is just not right for TS identity & gameplay, which is one of the reasons that I stopped playing TS for a while (after TS3 released), because I can't bring myself to play the game. I kinda regret purchasing even the base game. Although, I like the idea of having an open world, like how most of the MMO/RPG games that I play, it is just not right (at least for me). So, if we have to discuss about the upcoming art-style for TS5 (which I'm not really keen to have it in a near future yet, because I invested a lot in TS4 for a short amount of time), I would prefer to have a cartoonish art style with a little bit of realistic touch such as hair movement, gradual ageing system, etc. But, I do respect & understand that, each of us has our own preference & interpretation for TS.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited September 2018
    I don't want the next Sims game to be heavily cartoon-looking. Personally, TS4 isn't too cartoony for my taste; but I wouldn't hate it if they were to make TS5 a bit more realistic. Perhaps by using less bright colors.

However, I would never want The Sims to try to be as realistic as possible in its graphics, either. It doesn't suit the tone of the game. Games with a realistic style often venture into "uncanny valley" territory for me. The Sims, in my opinion, should strike a balance between realism and 'cartoon-ish'.
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    This is an interesting thread :)

In terms of the artstyle I agree Sims 4 did a fantastic job. Personally I would love for Sims 5 to build upon the art style of Sims 4. Some of the characters shown in that video definitely had a lot of charm to them. A dedicated Pixar aesthetic would look beautiful. They can pull off any kind of wacky animation and it won't feel out of place.

Nowadays every realistic character looks the same regardless of what game it is. GTA, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Spiderman PS4...they all look like the same art style with the same stiff facial expressions.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    I don't want the next Sims game to be heavily cartoon-looking. Personally, TS4 isn't too cartoony for my taste; but I wouldn't hate it if they were to make TS5 a bit more realistic. Perhaps by using less bright colors.

However, I would never want The Sims to try to be as realistic as possible in its graphics, either. It doesn't suit the tone of the game. Games with a realistic style often venture into "uncanny valley" territory for me. The Sims, in my opinion, should strike a balance between realism and 'cartoon-ish'.

This, 100%. I apologize for not having anything more to add. This person summed up feelings on it.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    LittlBowBubLittlBowBub Posts: 1,745 Member
    I'm quite happy with the way sims 4 looks. I much prefer it over sims 3 visuals. The only thing I would say I would want improving is hair texture. I much prefer the newer textures to the ones that were first brought out. I don't tend to use any of the base game hairs (except ones added through updates). I worry that if they go down the realism route it'll look like sims 3 and to me they looked like strange clay figures, whether that's just my poor create a sim skills or not, I don't want that again. There's something about sims 2, so much charm, I hope they'll bring back some cute sim actions so they feel alive again.

On the note of personality I would like to see a points system equivalent for the basic things like what was in sims 2. These choices would effect the sim overall with day to day things. But then on top of that i want traits. I want the traits to be the thing that they're known for. Things that are personal to that sim. I want buildable personalities if that makes sense.
    Id love for interests to make a return and hobbies. And please a fully customisable attraction system. Character values, I like these. More things than just traits make a sim.

Just to say, I'm not ready for sims 5 yet, in the near future or in 5 years. I would love if they could add all this to sims 4 but whatevers going to happen will happen I guess.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If it's anything like what Maxis seems to be looking for in their new positions opening up, Sims 5 (if it even is TS5) will not be a cartoony interpretation that Sims 4 is, but a much more realistic style akin to 2/3. Personally, I prefer the cartoony style because of its ability to stand the test of time in terms of visual quality, while the definitions of "realistic style" vary widely as the years and the graphics have progressed and gone on. What was considered realistic style in 2009 would not stand the same chance against what is realistic style in 2020(?); but people have their preferences.

@paradiseplanet I do not know if I care much about the appearance of the game, but I can say that nowadays I look at The SIms 3 (which tried to be more realistic) and I really hate the appearance of my sims in it.
    I have some fear of the game becoming very realistic to the point of the quirky part of the game getting out of the picture. Sims 3 is less quirky than Sims 2, and i missed that a lot.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    It's a little hard to talk about personality without talking about mood/emotion system, because you can't talk about personality without talking about the way it would effect a sim's mood, or emotion, but I'll do my best not to.

The main personality:

I think sims in TS5 should keep the traits. If you have personality points in the middle of the bar, it's as if your sim doesn't have the slob or neat trait, it's neutral, so I don't see how one would win over the other.To me, personality points or traits end up being the same thing almost, all that matters is how detailed you make the traits and what traits you make.

However I think the number of 5 traits should be brought back, so that sims have more specific personalities and allows for more combinations of traits to be done. I think 3 traits is all too short and broadens the personality instead of making it more detailed. But....! I think the traits should only be put into the game if they affect the interactions of that sim with other sims and the surrounding world in significant ways. There were lots of traits in the previous games, TS3 and TS4 that ended up being useless.

Making personalities based off of trait combination is also a not since there could be tons of them, so each trait acts individually, like it does on TS3 and TS4.

Traits should effect interactions in the way that some will not appear, and other unique ones might, with unique animations, for the different traits. A mean sim, shall not compliment anyone's home. I know some people would be very uneasy about this "forced" choice, but if you don't have this kind of restriction, we will end up with traits not mattering again, and it's a vicious cycle. If you don't want a mean sim don't make a mean sim.

Onto interests:

Interests would be something I'd definitely bring back and would favor over favorites if it's ever something that needs to be prioritized. Interests should for the first time be chosen when making a sim for the first time in cas and later altered if needed by researching on the internet for that subject (similar to reading magazines in TS2 but more in tune with today's times) multiple times to get a fuller bar, or by talking about such subject with other sims or even practicing said interest.

Sims with the same interests and/or traits should level up their friendships quicker. Interests should also dictate, what a sim is attracted to do, a sim with interest in sports should more often exercise or play physical games like snowball fights for example. Couch potato sims with an interest in sports should more often watch sorts on the TV or check for game results on the internet instead of actually practicing them. This way simmers could also tell stories about an artist who lost interest in art, etc. A lot of detail could go into this.

And just to gloss over Zodiacs, the point of having them in previous games was like a satire that people's zodicas were indicators of personality, it was a fun little thing. It's not something that could be done with traits unless you account for every trait combination, but it's not really important to me to have it in the game. I am a proud scorpio irl but I just don't think it could make much sense to have this in the game as a personality focus.

Aspirations:

I think Aspirations on TS5 should not be part of a sim's personality like they were on TS2, which a lot of people forget, it worked almost like a trait. I think Aspirations could be just "filters" for lifetime wishes, kind of like in TS4 CAS, however, instead of having TS4's partition goal oriented ones, you would have TS3's singe goal.

For example, within the Romance aspiration, you could choose your sim to have the Gold Digger lifetime wish. They are just filters to choose the lifetime wish in CAS, and you'd still be able to change them mid game. But some wants/fears would still be related to that aspiration (well, or whatever want system they include).

Favorites:

This would be something also worthy to add since it would drive sims to choose certain things and enter certain patterns that would make them more unique. Food, drink, music genre, film genre, etc, would all be great additions.

Biographies should also not be discarded, they could add more personalized flavor and story to each single character.

Also, I think it would be interesting to choose the dominating hand in cas if it's a feature that ever goes into TS5 (it's a hidden trait on TS4), it's a small thing, but it's sorta funny and relatable.

@Sigzy05 Talking about zodiac. I hope that they add the calendar to the Sims 5 base game, and the sim-year would be divided by 56 horus for each sign. THen, if we have twins, they'll have the same sign. And, i hope that they add signs to at least help dictate how attracted a sim is to the other.
    Oh, you mentioned wants and fears... I really hope they add the fears back to the game as well... I mean... How can i turn my sims life into hell if i dont know what he fears? Also, sims 4 kinda excluded most sims 3 "negative" traits... A sim is not able to fear water or technology like they used to, and i miss that. Maybe they could do osmething like the vampires, where you can pick positive traits, but you also have to pick at least one negative trait or something like that. Cuz everyone hates something or is afraid of something in real life.

I like how objective you are! Thanks for participating!
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Well, some people apparently don't like too realistic sims. I'd be fine with something like Life is Strange's style, which is a bit stylized, but the characters still look good. Although I'd go with more realistic hair textures/strands like Sims 2 and 3. I'm not really a fan of clay or paint-like hair.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    @zamira82 Yes, you are right. We must respect and understand eachothers preferences.
    Talking about SIms 3, its funny that the first Sims 3 trailer that came out the character design seemed to be way better than it is in the actual gameplay. The Sism 3 renders are also really cute, but in the game...
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    hyrulerose wrote: »

The "realistic" i would like in my game is mostly what modders can do inside TS4. I think that the dvs just need to work on better skin/skindetails/hair/clothing... I am not a user of alpha CC, cuz i think they dont match the rest of the game and look really weird, but if they were to make a game that this wouldnt happen, then i would be okay with sims looking "alpha". I mean...

33462252845_fbea16c1aa_b.jpg
    Look at this... it doesnt look weird in this picture. Not too realistic, not too cartoony... But when you start playing with sims like that, it looks like i am trying to play with Kratos inside Fortnite. It doesnt match, you know?!

(Also, i would like to add that even i a sim game is made to look realistic, i need my stuff written in simlish!!!!! >.< ).
    Brindleton wrote: »
    This is an interesting thread :)

In terms of the artstyle I agree Sims 4 did a fantastic job. Personally I would love for Sims 5 to build upon the art style of Sims 4. Some of the characters shown in that video definitely had a lot of charm to them. A dedicated Pixar aesthetic would look beautiful. They can pull off any kind of wacky animation and it won't feel out of place.

Nowadays every realistic character looks the same regardless of what game it is. GTA, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Spiderman PS4...they all look like the same art style with the same stiff facial expressions.

Yes, our sims need to be really expressive but... i really dont want big eyes/huge heads... Thats my limit for cartoon in sims.

@LittlBowBub oh, there is so much from sims 2 that i miss in ealier games. I would love if they took the sims 2 code and just fixed the bugs and upgraded the graphics, added some open-world, and voilá... A wonderful game.
    I think that Sims 5 would win if they stopped scrapping everything that was made before to start all over again from the dust. Like, look how much objects/clothes/hairstyles there is ready to be used. I mean, i love new stuff and all, but they could convert previous game stuff to implement in the content number we receive in stuff packs, game packs and expansion packs, cuz it would be cheaper to produce. They would jsut need to upgrade the textures.
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Well, some people apparently don't like too realistic sims. I'd be fine with something like Life is Strange's style, which is a bit stylized, but the characters still look good. Although I'd go with more realistic hair textures/strands like Sims 2 and 3. I'm not really a fan of clay or paint-like hair.

I like Sims 4 look, but i agree. The hair texture is ugly, the blonde hair lookes like yellow to me. I need the freedom we had in SIms 3 back in SIms 5. Choosing everything, including colors and textures. I love freedom!
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    @zamira82 Yes, you are right. We must respect and understand eachothers preferences.
    Talking about SIms 3, its funny that the first Sims 3 trailer that came out the character design seemed to be way better than it is in the actual gameplay. The Sism 3 renders are also really cute, but in the game...

I think they need to keep it where its easy to see the expression on the sims faces like in sims 4 sims 2 and sims 3 had some good expressions
    but they were much harder to see I don't want to have to zoom in to look at my sims face
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I like how we can watch fire works in sims 4 in 3 you had to go to map view are turn the camera up
    its just really nice not to have to do that
    more for sim kids and more drama please