Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lagging/freezing up every few seconds

13...Next

Comments

• JBurtisJBurtis Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am having the same issues as well. Resetsim did not work. Deleting the cache files did not work. Lame.
  • LittleDudeManLittleDudeMan Posts: 71
    edited May 2012
    It is happeneing to me aswell and I turned down all the graphics to low but nothing worked. I have Pets and Ambitions and it's realling getting annoying. Every sim and animal freezes. :evil: I hope EA fixes this ASAP!

I'm on a Mac as well and a lot of people had problems with horses on Pets on a Mac when it first came out but I'm unsure if that issue has been fixed. EA has been spending more time putting out promotional EP's instead of fixing the games that are already out...

Ok that's enough for my rant :roll: I hope they fix it soon or someone finds a solution.
  • RavagednLostRavagednLost Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I wonder if EA pays attention to this. It seems that its pretty common an issue and I'm experiencing it often as well. Every so often my sims and pets will just stop dead in their tracks but the plumbob will continue spinning and sounds will continuing going but I will have no control over anything for the period of time its frozen. I wonder if this will ever be properly taken care of.
  • EspritEmmaEspritEmma Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    Allo! I am having this issues as well... nothing I try worked. It is very frustrating I think. I only have Sims 3. It looks like I will just have to play Sims 3 Pets on PS3 :|
  • LawMyLoveLawMyLove Posts: 181 New Member
    edited May 2012
    Just want to add that I'm having the same issues, and it's making my game nearly unplayable. Every sim hour, my game will freeze for about 5 to 10 seconds, and after that it gets going again. I've tried resetsim but that doesn't work for me. *sigh*
  • mattefoppamattefoppa Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I think it's from a Sp, I installed all Ep's and then played it, but when I installed all Sp's and it started to lag for me. :?
  • Ra345Ra345 Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited May 2012
    I'm having a very similar issue. My game will freeze, but it wont play again. Left it on all night and it was still frozen the way I left it. I have no idea what to do, I can't play more than a few sim hours :( I want to keep working on my legacy. I've tried all the fixes mentioned here and while resetsim * worked, it was very, very brief. I don't know what else to do. But I know one thing, I am not buying anything else from EA until my game runs the way it should. Why put money into something that doesn't work?
  • Crystal_IsisCrystal_Isis Posts: 10 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Sooooo found a way to reset all sims in town

Using the command "resetsim *" without the quotations so it's

resetsim *

that resets everyone, even my butler was gone lol

I tried playing again and the freezing didn't happen as much... Still happened though. I didn't try going to another country though
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • LuaScriptLuaScript Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 2012
    It's funny how this is still not fixed. I own an i5 2500k.

It may be a problem with multiple processing threads, or just bad programming.
  • janecjanec Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2012
    Hey everyone, I just thought I'd contribute and let you know what I figured out. I know this is an older thread, but a lot of us are still having the issue.

I tried resetsim * because it seemed like the logical solution. I noticed the freeze only happens to me in custom neighborhoods, so the theory that there is a sim stuck on uneven terrain seems highly accurate. However, this fix didn't work for me. I went into "view town" mode and searched around the map for anything out of the ordinary, including stuck sims.

What I found was actually a strange brown cube sitting in the grass near my active sim's house. It had some purple fog coming out of it. I'm not sure if this is an object I accidentally placed in Create a World, or if it's some glitchy thing. I couldn't delete it, so what I did was place a lot on top of it because I remembered that trees and other town objects get removed if you place an empty lot on them. It worked! So far I haven't had any freezes. It seems "stuck objects" can cause the lag too.

Out of curiosity, if anyone knows what this box might have been, let me know.
  • BrandiBugBrandiBug Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited July 2012
    I wish the nvidia fix on the first page worked. It didn't. I lowered grahpics. Didn't help. Cleared caches, didn't help.

Grah.
    giphy.gif
  • LuaScriptLuaScript Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Here's why this issue has been here for years and isn't fixed.

PmH0m.png
  • Typh39Typh39 Posts: 16
    edited September 2012
    bringing this back up, due to a search.

Why hasn't EA fixed it? What do we pay them for?

I'm having the same problem, and it looks as if EA has swept it under a rug...really.
  • lonestarr01lonestarr01 Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    I realize this thread is really old, but I just wanted to add that I had the same problem starting yesterday. It was really annoying, but seemed to go away. But this morning it was unbearable, I had to figure out something. Seems using the cheat " resetsim * " worked for me. Hopefully others will find other ways to fix this and post it here.
  • mogxiiimogxiii Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I realize this thread is really old, but I just wanted to add that I had the same problem starting yesterday. It was really annoying, but seemed to go away. But this morning it was unbearable, I had to figure out something. Seems using the cheat " resetsim * " worked for me. Hopefully others will find other ways to fix this and post it here.

Same here. Except that resetsim seems to have no effect for me.
  • Blinky222Blinky222 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited January 2013
    Citrusmoon wrote:
    Right Click desktop -> nVidia Control Panel -> Under "3D Settings", click on "Manage 3D setting" -> Under "Global Setting", scroll down to "Vertical Sync" -> Click on pull down tab , and choose "Force on" -> Click "Apply" on right bottom of the nVidia control Panel to save your setting.

I see nothing wrong with your computer spec. Sims 3 is known to over throttle the video card, which it makes the video card work too hard and it's possible it could be heating your video card. A regular decent FPS rating for games are around 30-60. Sims 3 over throttle up to 100+ and this is not good, hence I recommended you to put the "Force V-Sync on" to reduce the fps down to 60.

I know this is an old thread, but this fix worked for me. I have an Intel i7 running at 4.6ghz, 32gb ram, nvidia 680gtx 4gb video card, Win7 64 and everything installed on a SSD hard drive. I have all expansions and only store CC. My game would run for 5 seconds then freeze for 10 seconds, run for 5 freeze for 10 etc., making the game unplayable.

I tried all the fixes, DEP, resetsim* no CC, everything. But nothing worked. Then one day I checked the game with FRAPS and found I was running it at 200+ fps at the time of the freeze.

I enabled v-sync through nvidia control pannel and with the FPS capped at 60 things are fine now, and I am running with all graphic options on max. Sims has always been plagued with buggy code, and I think it is possible that a high end computer can run the game faster than the game engine can pass along the data. Worked for me anyway.

• lunakittyfoxlunakittyfox Posts: 10
    edited November 2013
    i got the same issue.... i lock up and sit there for along time before it unlocks, or it gets really bad and kicks me out of the game.... i get unlock then a few seconds i lockup again...
  • DarkAmaranth1966DarkAmaranth1966 Posts: 13,416 Member
    edited November 2013
    The VAST majority of the issues like this I see are due to hardware, cc and/or mods (Yes some good mods do help and, I do use them.) Simply put too many people today don't understand computer specifications, game requirements or even know what this or that part of the inside of the computer is supposed to do.

Understandable, you don't have to know that stuff to use a computer BUT, you do need to know it if you want to use a computer for a program that has hardware requirements.

Too many just look at the game and see it's for Windows or Mac so, assume it runs on any Windows PC or on any Mac and, that's simply not the case, it was never made to run on just any old computer, just the mid line and better ones available at the time that game was released.

Really we (the volunteer tech responders) should not need to tell people how to run Dxdiag or that they have integrated graphics that lack the minimum dedicated RAM the game requires, or that they need updates, or how to uninstall cc and mods they installed. That's pretty basic computer stuff but, since all you really need to do to use a computer is push a power button and click on pictures with a mouse, a lot of you out there cannot tell me what a CPU, GPU, PSU, BIOS, HD or RAM is or what it actually does much less what the particulars are of those things in your computer.

Maybe we need to have a basic computer class requirement to purchase the games.
    Life is what you make it so, make it good.
  • DecrainDecrain Posts: 893 Member
    edited November 2013
    DarkAmaranth1966: I agree with you to some point. There are people who check the minimum specs for the game they buy. And they want it to run smoothly if their computer meets the criteria. Just like that. But in todays world of gaming it's not happening. More and more games are released broken. Not only the Sims, but many more games. I just happen to be interested in Sims mostly, so I see to what degree it is troublesome. This is not normal to be almost forced to use mods to get rid of game bugs existing since World Adventure (just an example). It is not the modders who should be fixing the game.

It really should be simple - go to shop, get a game, check the back of the box to see the minimum specs - all green? I buy it, go home, install and play. And it's not working like that anymore with games. Games force people to learn about their computer, tricks they would never known if not the game, sometimes even modding. Learning something new is good, but people should not be forced to do so, they should want it (and if they don't want - it's their choice it should not affect their games or gaming experience). And that's a big difference.

Believe me, if there was a good replacement of the sims on the market I would be the first one to jump off the ship.

PS. And I know all the things you wrote about and I can tell you what each of them do. And I still know how to use DOS.
  • lunakittyfoxlunakittyfox Posts: 10
    edited November 2013
    the game shouldn't lock or lag on me i have a gaming computer with

Rating: 7.3
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System

are you trying to say that my computer is too good to run the game? lol

the EA needs to fix there game, if people with gaming computers having issues then there's someone sleeping at there desk...
    a lot of people put time and money into something they like they shouldn't be slap in the face for someone else's fail'er that cant do there job...

and i use windows 7
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Brandy1989Brandy1989 Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Blinky222 wrote:
    Citrusmoon wrote:
    Right Click desktop -> nVidia Control Panel -> Under "3D Settings", click on "Manage 3D setting" -> Under "Global Setting", scroll down to "Vertical Sync" -> Click on pull down tab , and choose "Force on" -> Click "Apply" on right bottom of the nVidia control Panel to save your setting.

I see nothing wrong with your computer spec. Sims 3 is known to over throttle the video card, which it makes the video card work too hard and it's possible it could be heating your video card. A regular decent FPS rating for games are around 30-60. Sims 3 over throttle up to 100+ and this is not good, hence I recommended you to put the "Force V-Sync on" to reduce the fps down to 60.

I know this is an old thread, but this fix worked for me. I have an Intel i7 running at 4.6ghz, 32gb ram, nvidia 680gtx 4gb video card, Win7 64 and everything installed on a SSD hard drive. I have all expansions and only store CC. My game would run for 5 seconds then freeze for 10 seconds, run for 5 freeze for 10 etc., making the game unplayable.

I tried all the fixes, DEP, resetsim* no CC, everything. But nothing worked. Then one day I checked the game with FRAPS and found I was running it at 200+ fps at the time of the freeze.

I enabled v-sync through nvidia control pannel and with the FPS capped at 60 things are fine now, and I am running with all graphic options on max. Sims has always been plagued with buggy code, and I think it is possible that a high end computer can run the game faster than the game engine can pass along the data. Worked for me anyway.

I tried this, but when I went into custom settings for 3D and put my v-sync to "on", my screen goes completely black in game. I can hear the music though. Fail.
  • morgnaohmorganmorgnaohmorgan Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    The problem still is not fixed. the problem started in freakin 2009 it seems....its 2014 and my game just started freezing. im to the point where now i just want to uninstall all of the games and reinstall them and whenever an update comes, i just wont update my game. this is so frustrating and honestly idk why EA wont fix the problem. it seems like theyre too busy worrying about the sims4. well wake up call EA youre not going to have any customers for sims4 if you cant even tend to the customers you already have now!! Im tired of investing money in EA and i get BS results like this. EA could ATLEAST adress the problem by maybe posting an apology or idk, something instead of leaving all of us in the dark.

Ive tried resetsim, that doesnt work.. ive tired everything. this is a brand spanken new computer so its not on my end..

Id rather not abandon all of my sims and everything ive worked so hard on because of this. and id rather not uninstall my game but jeez idk what to do! it seems like no one has a solid solution :(:cry: :evil:
  • simmysimsim101simmysimsim101 Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm having the same problem and its flipping 2018. Nearly 10 years and they haven't done a single thing!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm having the same problem and its flipping 2018. Nearly 10 years and they haven't done a single thing!
    You are playing TS3? This version of the game has been out of development for coming up on five years now. There is no one at EA to do a single thing about the game's performance and hasn't been for a very long time. The game has been patched as far as it's going to be, certainly many times since this thread was active, and hardware and operating systems have also of course changed since then. This thread goes back to 2010.

If you would seriously like some assistance in getting TS3 to work better for you, a post here with a description of your specs or a broken up (use "h.t.t.p.s." or something similar because of your New Member status) link to your dxdiag on pastebin.com if on Windows and we may be able to help. Also please mention the EPs you are working with and the worlds you are playing in.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net