Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You should be able to delete a disscussion

I posted some discussion that hasn't done too well and I want to delete because what's the point of having but there is no option for it. Shouldn't there be?
hope you all are smiling x

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    You can just report your own thread and explain in the report box why you want it close. Reporting your own thread won't get you in any trouble... :)
  • soupys0upsoupys0up Posts: 10 New Member
    Having a delete button would be much simpler.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    soupys0up wrote: »
    Simpler but totally inappropriate and potentially disruptive as has been discussed here many times. No one will want to contribute on a forum when their responses to posts keep getting deleted along with the original post. I've participated on forums where this is allowed and it is not at all helpful.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Simpler but totally inappropriate and potentially disruptive as has been discussed here many times. No one will want to contribute on a forum when their responses to posts keep getting deleted along with the original post. I've participated on forums where this is allowed and it is not at all helpful.

We mean that if you have posted a discussion that is old, you should be able to delete the entire discussion
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I agree
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited August 2018
    igazor wrote: »

We mean that if you have posted a discussion that is old, you should be able to delete the entire discussion

I think I'm going to have to agree with igazor on this. If this was an option, then I think it would deter people from wanting to post on someone else's thread knowing that at some point in time that the OP will want to delete it as well as their posts especially in help threads. There are many of us who do like going back to older threads and rereading the posts that's in them. I still think that it's best to just go and ask for the thread to be closed if the OP doesn't want anyone else to post in it and it's still there for others to read.

Edit to say that even though you might want it to be able to delete older threads, there would be others that would want it to delete their newer threads, especially the ones where people are criticizing the OP for their opinions And if someone ends up deleting every single thread that's caused problems, then members of the forums would start to avoid posting in any of that members thread just because that person can't handle criticism of any kind. jmo
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    The moderators here can explain this better than I can, certainly with more authority, but the underlying concept on a forum like this is that we do not own "our" posts or the threads we have started unless they are on our personal walls. We have no rights to restrict responses to them, to close them, nor to deny others the privilege of learning from them even years later (even if the post was frivolous and we were all just being silly at the time), nor should we have such rights. This is a place to have fun talking about our games certainly, but also to exchange information with each other, meaning all other members now and those who arrive here later. That cannot happen successfully if members keep deleting entire threads that take away all of the other members' responses with them.

Of course if a serious thread goes so far off-topic in unwanted ways that we don't even want to be associated with it anymore we can ask a moderator to lock it for us or take some other action by flagging it and explaining why it's become a problem, but those should really be wild exceptions to the rule and not everyday things.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Nope people could use it to troll and then just delete the evidence. It keeps us in check. You can always ask for a thread to be closed.
    egTcBMc.png
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello all,

Thank you very much for the feedback on this.

I just wanted to jump in and let you know that while we understand your desire to delete your own posts, we won't be enabling such an option on this forums. This is due to multiple different reasons - ranging from technical aspects to potential abuse.

Thanks.
  • M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Hello all,

I just wanted to jump in and let you know that while we understand your desire to delete your own posts, we won't be enabling such an option on this forums. This is due to multiple different reasons - ranging from technical aspects to potential abuse.

Thanks.

Thank you and you can close this dicussion if you want
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Hello all,

Thanks.

Thank you and you can close this dicussion if you want

Done as requested :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top