Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How "bad" is it to give up a pet for adoption?

So my household is maxed out with seven humans and three cats. I want my current heir to have another child. I really don't want to move anyone out and my senior has lots of good years left. I don't want to cheat to make the household bigger. I'm thinking about giving up one of the cats for adoption.

Does this have any negative ramifications for the family?

Comments

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited September 2018
    My Sims don't even seem to notice. The only one upset is me. Cue the sad music. "We always find homes for our pets..."
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not sure how the adoption was to be done, but wouldn't it be simpler and less sad to give one of the cats away to a good friend or some other household in town?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Not sure how the adoption was to be done, but wouldn't it be simpler and less sad to give one of the cats away to a good friend or some other household in town?

I didn't know I could do that. I'll check that option out when my sims get home from France! I had planned to have my evil Sim do the "give up for adoption" but I like this idea much better.
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    The one time in my game I’ve given up kittens for adoption was when I left one of my supernatural families to play another household.

See, they had a cat that looks like this:
    tumblr_inline_paccunw2ch1vhkp6x_500.jpg
    And the family decided to hoard cats of that...breed? So I go back into that household and see that they had a small colony of cranky skeleton cats.

I steeled myself against the sad music and gave the kittens up for adoption because having one adult cat like that is more than enough for me :D
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    You guys are usually so remarkably creative, why does that go out the window when cats are involved?

Gather up all the excess (coughs) unusual looking breeds and deposit them in Insane Pet World, your new custom vacation destination. Okay that will require some fancy mod usage, so maybe in Al Simhara then? Or at the very least, give them a few nice homes at the top of a steep hill with some eccentric elders to look after them for you. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    You can use the Master Controller mod while you play another household and click on the pet and choose "Add sim". Then that household "adopts" it. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    You guys are usually so remarkably creative, why does that go out the window when cats are involved?

Gather up all the excess (coughs) unusual looking breeds and deposit them in Insane Pet World, your new custom vacation destination. Okay that will require some fancy mod usage, so maybe in Al Simhara then? Or at the very least, give them a few nice homes at the top of a steep hill with some eccentric elders to look after them for you. :p

Hmmm. You raise some good points. If I make a Crazy Cat Land then I would also get to see a large herd of cranky skeleton cats chasing after sims ALA Running of the Bulls.
    tumblr_inline_pacd1lfhWA1vhkp6x_500.jpg
    This bears some thinking and planning.
    :D
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited September 2018
    It's much better than what I normally do to excess pets...age them up till Grimmy takes them away. I finally turned off dogs and cats...horses don't bother me so they stay on. My sims get the negative moodlet (which of course I cancel out).
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Cororon wrote: »
    You can use the Master Controller mod while you play another household and click on the pet and choose "Add sim". Then that household "adopts" it. :smile:
    Yes, that's the easy way. But for those without mods if you chat with a friend from another household, doesn't the option to give one of your pets away to them come up on the social interactions eventually? It does for me and I don't think it's a mod that's putting it there.

Slight rant on those social interactions, all I want to do is ask a friend to stay the night or to stay over at their house and I always get the pets offers and ask to move in, other sorts of lifelong commitments before the innocent "it's too late to drive home, can I just crash here?" option shows up. It's funny in a way, but kind of frustrating at other times. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Amphora wrote: »
    The one time in my game I’ve given up kittens for adoption was when I left one of my supernatural families to play another household.

See, they had a cat that looks like this:
    tumblr_inline_paccunw2ch1vhkp6x_500.jpg
    And the family decided to hoard cats of that...breed? So I go back into that household and see that they had a small colony of cranky skeleton cats.

I steeled myself against the sad music and gave the kittens up for adoption because having one adult cat like that is more than enough for me :D

I'd love this! Is it available in game or a custom skin?

• Options
    edited September 2018

:D:D:D
    I am continually surprised that people actually have an interest in Arae.

But to answer your question, she is completely CC free. The skin/fur is one included in create a pet. I just spent 15 minutes one day creating her as a cranky companion for the alien matriarch in my merman/Alien family. Here’s the link if you actually want to download her.

I put the abominable feline up for download just for kicks to see if anyone would actually be interested and so far she’s had six whole downloads. Which is five more than I thought she’d get :D

Anyway she’s cranky, attacks sims and constantly wishes to hiss at anyone she meets so have fun with the little monster if you so choose to download :p
    Post edited by Amphora on
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited September 2018
    Slight rant on those social interactions, all I want to do is ask a friend to stay the night or to stay over at their house and I always get the pets offers and ask to move in, other sorts of lifelong commitments before the innocent "it's too late to drive home, can I just crash here?" option shows up. It's funny in a way, but kind of frustrating at other times. :/

I'm not sure about the pets, but the option to "ask to move in" only shows up when two sims already have a very high relationship, no matter how well their conversation is going. So the problem, really, is that you're too good a friend to the townies. Try being mean or standoffish for a change; I'm sure that will take care of the issue soon enough.

I have to say, though, that I'm a bit confused by the subject of this thread. Perhaps I'm missing something. But I honestly don't understand: Why are all these cats letting some mere human kick them out of their house?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure about the pets, but the option to "ask to move in" only shows up when two sims already have a very high relationship, no matter how well their conversation is going. So the problem, really, is that you're too good a friend to the townies. Try being mean or standoffish for a change; I'm sure that will take care of the issue soon enough.
    This isn't going to apply to all of them, but it would not be in character for many of my sims to be mean to their friends just so they can have the honor of sleeping in the guest bed and not be served breakfast in the morning with a less polluted social menu. Yes, many of them are just "too nice" to everyone, sorry. :/

Maybe this would be easier for me to work through if the Charisma skill weren't so ridiculously easy to gain, but I've already got that one throttled every way possible by way of NRaas Relativity and my "average" teen and older sim is still above Level 5 without really trying very hard.
    I have to say, though, that I'm a bit confused by the subject of this thread. Perhaps I'm missing something. But I honestly don't understand: Why are all these cats letting some mere human kick them out of their house?
    Now you do have a point there. But without mods to extend the maximum household size, we're back to contemplating leaving the toddlers and children alone in the woods to fend for themselves so the next baby can be conceived. Although, to be fair, the last time this came up you were talking about plumbots simbots not human children, and I kind of got things twisted around a bit. :p
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    If you treat a cat well it will become a loyal, loving member of the family unlike children who cost a fortune, eat you out of house and home, expect you to do their laundry, act as chauffeur and then leave. Could the heir not do without the extra child?
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Amphora wrote: »

:D:D:D
    I am continually surprised that people actually have an interest in Arae.

But to answer your question, she is completely CC free. The skin/fur is one included in create a pet. I just spent 15 minutes one day creating her as a cranky companion for the alien matriarch in my merman/Alien family. Here’s the link if you actually want to download her.

I put the abominable feline up for download just for kicks to see if anyone would actually be interested and so far she’s had six whole downloads. Which is five more than I thought she’d get :D

Anyway she’s cranky, attacks sims and constantly wishes to hiss at anyone she meets so have fun with the little monster if you so choose to download :p

She'd be perfect for my vampire sim! I am going to download her. Thanks.

• Options
    Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    If you treat a cat well it will become a loyal, loving member of the family unlike children who cost a fortune, eat you out of house and home, expect you to do their laundry, act as chauffeur and then leave. Could the heir not do without the extra child?

They COULD. I'm a RL cat lover so I really don't WANT to give up one of the pets. I shouldn't have gotten so many to begin with. One of my Sims had a wish to own a Unicorn and I knew he would have to befriend three other pets first. But I realized how difficult that would be and changed his LTW.

In my generational challenge, it's a good idea to have a spare heir. If my current heir dies, I lose the challenge.

I think I'm going to risk it. I have one senior with probably 15 years or so of life left and one of the cats is almost a senior. I'll just make sure my heir (who just turned toddler) has a good safe life.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Why is there no room for another human sim, when there are only 7 already? I thought the limit for humans and the limit for pets were totally separate. Is there actually a limit on the combined total?
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Why is there no room for another human sim, when there are only 7 already? I thought the limit for humans and the limit for pets were totally separate. Is there actually a limit on the combined total?

I thought the limit was 10 including the pets?

• Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

I just looked it up on the wiki, and you are correct. But up to this point, I never knew there was a combined limit. I almost never play large households, and seldom have pets, so I never came up against the combined limit.
  • Options

I just looked it up on the wiki, and you are correct. But up to this point, I never knew there was a combined limit. I almost never play large households, and seldom have pets, so I never came up against the combined limit.

I don't play large households either, maybe at most 4 Sims (2 adults, 2 kids) and a couple cats. The game has the unfortunate habit of giving my inactive households pets, as many as it can which is a pain, when I finally get back to playing a different family, I have all these pets I then have to put up for adoption.

• Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »

They COULD. I'm a RL cat lover so I really don't WANT to give up one of the pets. I shouldn't have gotten so many to begin with. One of my Sims had a wish to own a Unicorn and I knew he would have to befriend three other pets first. But I realized how difficult that would be and changed his LTW.

In my generational challenge, it's a good idea to have a spare heir. If my current heir dies, I lose the challenge.

I think I'm going to risk it. I have one senior with probably 15 years or so of life left and one of the cats is almost a senior. I'll just make sure my heir (who just turned toddler) has a good safe life.

I kind of guessed you were a cat person or else you would not have posed the question about adoption :)

The fault is mine. I am a little sensitive at the moment. I lost both my girls earlier this year, Fluffy in January to cancer and Trouble's Little Sister to kidney failure. So even the thought of giving a virtual cat away makes me tear up.

I hope your current heir gets to meet a unicorn and I am sure your second heir will grow up strong and healthy. Then will soon be married and producing children of their own :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'd much rather see my sims giving a pet or baby they can't take care of up for adotion than to have them abuse or neglect that pet or child until they got taken away by a social worker though the one taking children away in my game would be from a playable household.It still means the parent would be disgraced from being a bad parent.Sims also get disgraced if they let pets be taken away instead of just giving them up for adoption.I'm not against my sims who've had an unplanned pregnancy call a social worker to take their baby away after they give birth and the baby is available for adoption.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg