Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim got stuck in France museum

Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
My Sim was exploring the French museum. She found a switch to open a secret door, stepped through the door right into a wall. When she moved, she moved outside the wall onto a little area that had plants and such - with no way to get off it. She is stuck. What is the safest way to move her to an open area?

EDIT: So I had paused my game and came here to the forums to ask my question. WHILE I WAS TYPING THE POST, the power in my house went out for approximately 3 seconds - just long enough to shut my computer down. Since I had forgotten to save my game when my Sims went on vacation, the problem resolved itself. If anyone can still answer my question, I would appreciate it for future reference. I had searched for help on it but we are limited to one year's worth of posts and I couldn't find what I needed. Thanks in advance! Off to visit France (AGAIN)!
Post edited by Rhiannon58 on

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I wouldn't quite recommend inducing or hoping for a power outage to get out of that scenario although it's clearly effective (in its own way). But I would have just reset the sim to get them out of there.

I guess a better question is why is there a secret door that leads to an impenetrable wall? The lot couldn't have been designed that way on purpose...
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I guess a better question is why is there a secret door that leads to an impenetrable wall? The lot couldn't have been designed that way on purpose...

I was having a hard time seeing the area with my angle. She opened the door and I clicked "go here" thinking I was getting her just inside the door. It had a tight entry way with an immediate right hand turn to go down stairs. I had clicked past that onto the patio by mistake. She SHOULD have stopped and not gone through the wall. So it's a bug. I don't know how to "reset" a Sim so maybe some instruction for if/when it happens again?

They just arrived in France so I'll be saving a bit more often than I usually do. My Sim had completed explored underneath the museum and got a bunch of Vista points for it. At least now we'll get through it faster (if she gets that one again).
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    If you have the testing cheats on - you can teleport a sim. I do it all the time in the tombs because it so time consuming to go all the way back through them to get out. Just shift-click on some ground where you want the sim and the option to teleport here should come up - its all Star Trek like!
    edited September 2018
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    I don't know how to "reset" a Sim so maybe some instruction for if/when it happens again?
    Ctrl+Shift+C to bring up the cheats console.
    Type resetsim (first name) (last name) (enter)

So if Susie Smith is stuck, resetsim Susie Smith (enter)

To reset all of the sims in a world at the same time, resetsim * (enter)

What this does is clear the sim's action queue and automatically return them to a "safe place" in or just outside of their home lot or wherever they are staying in a vacation world. There are deeper resets that can be done for sims with more troubling things happening to them, but those require mods such as NRaas MasterController.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    There are two things you could have done. Each one requires a cheat.

To get the cheat box up hold Ctrl and Shift keys down while typing C.

The in the cheat box type TestingCheatsEnabled True.

My preferred solution would then be to hold down the shift key while clicking onto the floor/ground and choosing the Teleport me here option you'll see from the pie menu that appears. You might to try a few different spots on the floor to get the menu to appear. Sometimes it only wants to let you build or buy on this lot.

To reset a Sim you get the cheat box up and type in ResetSim Joe Smith. Where Joe Smith will be changed to the name of your Sim. But resetting a Sim will send them home (or to the base camp when traveling).
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited September 2018
    I've usually done this before:

1. testingcheatsenabled on
    2. moveobjects on
    3. hand tool, hover over sim. grab onto him/her and move him out of the area.
    4. moveobjects off
    5. testingcheatsenabled off

Sometimes when I've resetSim, the blasted bugger ends up respawning in the same place (the same position that he got stuck in) as it did before. Sort of makes me wish there was a finger of God function so that I can give the Sim a bit of a smack in the back of the head. Won't do much for accomplishing tasks in gameplay, but it may make me (the Creator) feel better. >:)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2018
    Sorry but I advise against using moveobjects on for a sim, because it can cause all kind of corruption (sims getting stuck, sims sinking through the floor, stuff like that). Resetsim has always worked for me in such cases, or indeed teleporting.

Maybe it's a coincidence it was in the French museum by the way, but there actually is a room in that tomb that closes down on you with apparently no way out (a secret door that closes behind your sim that won't open anymore). There is though. A gameplay solution, no cheat. This room:

R4FWTGW.jpg

And this door:

lx9TON0.png
    5JZ57S6.png
    I have to agree, MoveObjectsOn should never be used on a sim of any kind unless one is setting up a pose or screenshot and quitting without saving immediately after. Not the actively played sims, neighbors, NPCs, stray animals, imaginary friends, none of them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Sometimes, it's just meant to be - makes it more exciting to be a tomb raider, right? B)
    NymlADp.jpg