Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the point of fire alarms?

earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,025 Member
????

There is no such thing as firefighters in this game so... ????
I made my sim's girlfriend cook a meal and a wild fire appeared. the alarm went on and it kept ringing and it rang and it rang and it rang... until the entire kitchen was burned to a crisp and the girlfriend also burned to death because she wouldn't extinguish herself after I told her to several times.

So pretty much a waste of simoleons and time playing for 2 sim days, since I obviously didn't save the game.
Note to self: save more often.
NK4koaX.png

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I'm not sure, but supposedly it is tied to a sprinkler system that's supposed to go off when the alarm rings, though I've never once seen that happening at all in my short time playing TS4. Another thing I'm unsure if it's tied to is that it is to be able to reimburse your burned objects for insurance money (which is always never enough to compensate it) but I'm not sure if that's specifically tied to having an alarm or not.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    I believe you also need to have the "fire suppression system" placed in the room for the sprinklers to go off. Now, I'm not sure if the alarm and sprinkler system work together or not, but I have seen it in action. It just poofs the fire right out.
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I don't know, but I really feel your pain! This exact thing happened to me the other day - I'd been playing through the generations to get to this specific sim, moved him out to start his YA life in his new place, and within 1 sim day the cooker caught on fire and he burned to death ignoring all pleas from me to extinguish himself, whilst listening to the sound of the fire alarm! Luckily I'd just saved it before he moved, so I could just exit and start again! I've now stopped having fire alarms as there is no point, and I've downloaded MC Command so I can auto save regularly...
  • LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    I had the sprinkler system installed in a game once not sure if if I had the fire alarm but the the sprinklers went off and put the fire right out
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Imagine your sim is home alone and he/she is on fire. No one can save your sim from the fire, so the sprinklers can do its job.

Not saying that I think we dont need firemen, cause we still need them. The game is so boring and dull without these additions.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    To ensure your sim will extinguish themselves, cancel Fire! In their queue. Then the extinguish self command will drop right down.
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    Melmack wrote: »
    I believe you also need to have the "fire suppression system" placed in the room for the sprinklers to go off. Now, I'm not sure if the alarm and sprinkler system work together or not, but I have seen it in action. It just poofs the fire right out.

You don't need to have the supression item in the room specifically, it can go anywhere and it will still work; I often place it outside and it still puts fires out.

I always put fire alarms in rooms with cookers and fireplaces etc. out of habit since TS1, so don't know if supression system will still work without them. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain

You don't need to have the supression item in the room specifically, it can go anywhere and it will still work; I often place it outside and it still puts fires out.

Well, thank you for that info. Good to know I don't need to have that panel uglying up my kitchens anymore. :smiley:
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    I always put fire alarms in rooms with cookers and fireplaces etc. out of habit since TS1, so don't know if supression system will still work without them. :smile:

No. the supresion system need alarms at each flamable room, so it activate after alarm sound
  • earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,025 Member
    To ensure your sim will extinguish themselves, cancel Fire! In their queue. Then the extinguish self command will drop right down.

Well, I did that and didn't work. She preferred screaming in the fire.
    I put the supression item in the house, so I guess it's all good... assuming it works, that is.
    NK4koaX.png
    Weirdly, I just built a house and didn't put a fire alarm or sprinkler system panel thing anywhere in the build. A neighbour came round and lit the fireplace (in the middle of summer, grr!) and the living room caught on fire. A random sprinkler appeared above the neighbour that caught on fire and put the fire out!?!? I had 2 toddlers in the house so I don't know if its an inbuilt game thing to protect children, or whether its just a glitch? It all just feels a bit random!
  • damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member
    asimbsim wrote: »
    Weirdly, I just built a house and didn't put a fire alarm or sprinkler system panel thing anywhere in the build. A neighbour came round and lit the fireplace (in the middle of summer, grr!) and the living room caught on fire. A random sprinkler appeared above the neighbour that caught on fire and put the fire out!?!? I had 2 toddlers in the house so I don't know if its an inbuilt game thing to protect children, or whether its just a glitch? It all just feels a bit random!

Do you have the sprinklers that came with Seasons? I've seen Simmers have these and not a fire alarm and suppression box and sprinklers came out of the ceiling and put out the fires. Otherwise, you do have to have a fire alarm and the suppression box somewhere on your lot in order to get sprinklers to come out during fires.

Do you have the sprinklers that came with Seasons? I've seen Simmers have these and not a fire alarm and suppression box and sprinklers came out of the ceiling and put out the fires. Otherwise, you do have to have a fire alarm and the suppression box somewhere on your lot in order to get sprinklers to come out during fires.

Ahh, I did put a sprinkler in the garden for my Sims to play in during the summer- does that automatically start them if there's a fire in the house?! That's a random coincidence that stopped my house burning down if so, and really quite awesome! Thanks!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2018

Ahh, I did put a sprinkler in the garden for my Sims to play in during the summer- does that automatically start them if there's a fire in the house?! That's a random coincidence that stopped my house burning down if so, and really quite awesome! Thanks!

Not that sprinkle - on the page with the fire alarm detector is the house fire sprinkler - Put it on an out side wall - I put mine near the back door - then I put a smoke detector in every room that has a fire device - like a stove, a fireplace, the chemistry set, the wood working bench if in the house. Where ever I have a smoke detector the alarm goes off - the sprinkler drops down and puts out the fire instantly. It does not work on anything outside - like barbeques or fire pits - sims has to put those out. ( I notice when the smoke detector goes off if any toddler are in the house one of the parents runs and gets the toddler and takes it out side. I have never seen a fire happen when there is an infant so don't know what happens in that case.)

It does not work on sims - but if a sim catches fire send them immediately to the shower and they will get the message to put them selves out. I always have a shower on each floor and have never lost a sim to fire yet. With the household sprinkler system I have never even lost a stove or fireplace yet - it is very fast and gets the fire out before any damage is done. Food on a stove is the only thing you usually lose.

Do not use the yard sprinkler that's for playing in - not putting out fire. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Not that sprinkle - on the page with the fire alarm detector is the house fire sprinkler - Put it on an out side wall - I put mine near the back door - then I put a smoke detector in every room that has a fire device - like a stove, a fireplace, the chemistry set, the wood working bench if in the house. Where ever I have a smoke detector the alarm goes off - the sprinkler drops down and puts out the fire instantly. It does not work on anything outside - like barbeques or fire pits - sims has to put those out. ( I notice when the smoke detector goes off if any toddler are in the house one of the parents runs and gets the toddler and takes it out side. I have never seen a fire happen when there is an infant so don't know what happens in that case.)

It does not work on sims - but if a sim catches fire send them immediately to the shower and they will get the message to put them selves out. I always have a shower on each floor and have never lost a sim to fire yet. With the household sprinkler system I have never even lost a stove or fireplace yet - it is very fast and gets the fire out before any damage is done. Food on a stove is the only thing you usually use.

Do not use the yard sprinkler that's for playing in - not putting out fire. LOL.

I have picture of my sims grabbing the pets and leaving the toddlers, it did work one though when I asked the sim to move away from the fire and was then able to get them or someone else to extinguish them.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2018
    simplyzoe wrote: »

It does not work on sims - but if a sim catches fire send them immediately to the shower and they will get the message to put them selves out. I always have a shower on each floor and have never lost a sim to fire yet. With the household sprinkler system I have never even lost a stove or fireplace yet - it is very fast and gets the fire out before any damage is done. Food on a stove is the only thing you usually use.

I have picture of my sims grabbing the pets and leaving the toddlers, it did work one though when I asked the sim to move away from the fire and was then able to get them or someone else to extinguish them.

You cannot always trust another sim to put your sims out - especially if they are holding a pet or toddler - but the shower always work and seems quickest - well providing you have one nearby.

If I have a real small house and only 1 shower I sometimes put the outdoor shower from OR in the yard somewhere especially if I have a barbeque or fire pit in the yard so even if no one extinquishes those but the sim catches fire - you can still save them with the shower. I have wondered if the outdoor sprinkler might also work but have yet to have another fire to try it since we got seasons. But the game has had the house sprinkler system in it since base game - I saw that right away when the game first came out and I saw no firemen. I am surprised everyone else didn't figure it out. I have never lost a sim or stove or anything in Sims 4 due to fire in a house anyway.

I did almost lose a sim to the firepit in OR once until I figured out to have him jump into the outdoor shower - then after he was out he was able to put out the fire.

Also if you have JA you can buy cans of fire extinquisher at the outdoor market you can also use on home lots for barbeques, fire pits and even other Sims. I stock my sims up everytime I send them to JA so they always have a few left over for home and OR use as well. But now I have plenty and never get any fires. Naturally it is always the way I guess. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

It does not work on sims - but if a sim catches fire send them immediately to the shower and they will get the message to put them selves out. I always have a shower on each floor and have never lost a sim to fire yet. With the household sprinkler system I have never even lost a stove or fireplace yet - it is very fast and gets the fire out before any damage is done. Food on a stove is the only thing you usually lose.

Thanks for taking the time to reply :smile: What I meant in my post was that I havent installed the sprinkler that you suggested or a fire alarm in my sims house at all, but when the fireplace caught fire, a random sprinkler appeared from the ceiling and put out the fire, even though I didnt have either the sprinkler system or fire alarm installed. We were trying to figure out why this might have happened. I did have a yard sprinkler, and so was wondering whether this somehow made the inside sprinkler appear. I definitely wouldnt have thought that putting a yard sprinkler in the yard would stop an inside fireplace fire LOL! But something made the random sprinkler appear, very odd!
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    When you put the sprinkler on the outside, it will be activated for any fire on that floor. So, you need one for each level of the house. And alarms within a few squares (I think five is the max) of stuff that tends to catch fire.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I stopped putting fire alarms in the house because all it does is make sound in the presence of a fire. I already know there is a fire in the house. (This reminds me of that TV commercial from that credit monitoring company shows a bank robbery, but the security guard simply says 'There is a robbery' instead of doing something about it).

I never figured out the sprinkler system. They should introduce sprinkler heads like they had in sims 2. It worked every time.
  • damagedlostbrokendamagedlostbroken Posts: 293 Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply :smile: What I meant in my post was that I havent installed the sprinkler that you suggested or a fire alarm in my sims house at all, but when the fireplace caught fire, a random sprinkler appeared from the ceiling and put out the fire, even though I didnt have either the sprinkler system or fire alarm installed. We were trying to figure out why this might have happened. I did have a yard sprinkler, and so was wondering whether this somehow made the inside sprinkler appear. I definitely wouldnt have thought that putting a yard sprinkler in the yard would stop an inside fireplace fire LOL! But something made the random sprinkler appear, very odd!

It is very odd, but if having the yard sprinkler saves Sims at least it's a nice glitch. :)
  • earthgirlearthgirl Posts: 1,025 Member
    Funny story: today my sim's living room caught fire from the fireplace. I only have one fire alarm in the kitchen that is far from the fireplace, so... it didn't ring.
    The sprinklers went on anyway and put the fire out.

Conclusion?

Fire alarms are useless.
    NK4koaX.png
  • PenguinsiclePenguinsicle Posts: 3 New Member
    I can defiantly feel your pain on this, I had made a really pretty sim for my first time playing the game and she ended up burning herself to a crisp the second night after I was finally starting her life. I dont know why they have not added firefighters as sims are horrible at cooking.
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    I can defiantly feel your pain on this, I had made a really pretty sim for my first time playing the game and she ended up burning herself to a crisp the second night after I was finally starting her life. I dont know why they have not added firefighters as sims are horrible at cooking.

I'd have to disagree on this point, I actually find my sims to be quite good cooks and I've yet to have a cooker fire. Perhaps it's because I always use the Homey lot trait that boosts the cooking skill so they skill it up in no time. Just a thought. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
    This is why I have all my teens make salad every day until they actually get the hang of cooking. I mean I'm usually quick enough to get them to extinguish themselves.. but just to be on the safe side....
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited September 2018
    You have to install both the fire alarm and the sprinkler box for it to help. They both mount on the wall and one sets off the other. At least, that's the way it seems to work for me. I had just the sprinkler and it would never go on in a fire. When I installed the fire alarm (which doesn't even have to be in the same room) then the sprinkler would work even if the alarm didn't sound.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.