Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing Sims 2 For First Time

2...Next

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited September 2018
    [Text written by @EgonVM but we'll skip that because it's too long]

This is really helpful, thank you so much! I feel like since I have all the packs there’s a lot to explore. By the way, can you try for a baby with the Grim Reaper in TS2 without adding him to your household?

Grim Reaper's only purpose is to take a dead sim away. Sims can only interact with him by pleading with him. After he has done his job, he will always leave (unless your last sim in the family dies, in that case, Grim Reaper may use your TV, bar, or toilet).
    Please do not try to do that.
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    You probably want a lot of Cyjon's mod fix and Pescado's.

There's a character limit in neighbourhoods and having 1 Uncharitable instead of 3 made when they're all the same will help not cause corruption when eventually a new character overwrites the old one.

NEVER delete a gravestone either without the right tweak like "No unlink of Delete".
    L9q8VGi.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    If I had to read all this stuff before I could even jump in and start playing, I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole. My best advice, play the tutorial, worry about hood corruption somewhere down the road when you are invested in your Sims and not just trying to learn how the game plays and or what happens if you aren't kind to your Sims. TS2 is a wonderful game for the good, the bad and the ugly. I would set up the Graphic Rule Config files since the game was built in 2004 and can't recoginise newer hardware, but I personally wouldn't worry about all this other stuff at all. I can imagine I would have never played TS2 if I had to read about NPCs, neighborhood corruption and all the other stuff.

It would have scared me away, as TS3 did as it was too daunting though I bought it and tried and played it, there was always all the deep technical stuff about that game of what to do and not do, that I never really cared much about it, like I did TS2. Let's not over whelm people with info after years of playing and doing everything wrong because you can always reset the files without reinstalling. I would just pick a hood and play OP, that's the best way to learn anything.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If I had to read all this stuff before I could even jump in and start playing, I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole. My best advice, play the tutorial, worry about hood corruption somewhere down the road when you are invested in your Sims and not just trying to learn how the game plays and or what happens if you aren't kind to your Sims. TS2 is a wonderful game for the good, the bad and the ugly. I would set up the Graphic Rule Config files since the game was built in 2004 and can't recoginise newer hardware, but I personally wouldn't worry about all this other stuff at all. I can imagine I would have never played TS2 if I had to read about NPCs, neighborhood corruption and all the other stuff.

It would have scared me away, as TS3 did as it was too daunting though I bought it and tried and played it, there was always all the deep technical stuff about that game of what to do and not do, that I never really cared much about it, like I did TS2. Let's not over whelm people with info after years of playing and doing everything wrong because you can always reset the files without reinstalling. I would just pick a hood and play OP, that's the best way to learn anything.

So we're supposed to keep our mouths shut if someone asks if they can do something that would corrupt their game?! We're supposed to go you can with cheats but then never mention that that would corrupt their game?!

I would be angry if I asked for tips and tricks and people didn't mention that if I did things I would corrupt my neighborhood. I wouldn't want to use cheats to have a baby with the Grim Reaper in a neighborhood and then 3 generations later when I'm really attached to the neighborhood learn that it's corrupted. When someone could have told me when I asked for tips and tricks and explicitly asked if I was able have baby with the Grim Reaper if people didn't tell me about neighborhood corruption and that having a baby with the Grim Reaper is one way to cause neighborhood corruption.

I would want to learn about avoiding corruption before I spent all the time getting invested in my Sims because as someone who has experienced the really negative effects of neighborhood corruption, it's not something you want to find out you've done after you've gotten invested in your Sims.

It's really upsetting when you realize that 2 graves have disappeared and you don't remember anyone smashing them - or anyone that would have been in the right state to smash them. My founder's grave disappeared in that neighborhood and my 4th generation heir's grave as well.

It's really upsetting when two Sims that you love go invisible and become immortal and you can't even boolprop them to death to see if you can get them visible again by killing them and resurrecting them. My Simself and my spouse (generation 4 spare) were the ones who went invisible.

It's even more upsetting when you realize you could have prevented it in the first place.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »

So we're supposed to keep our mouths shut if someone asks if they can do something that would corrupt their game?! We're supposed to go you can with cheats but then never mention that that would corrupt their game?!

I would be angry if I asked for tips and tricks and people didn't mention that if I did things I would corrupt my neighborhood. I wouldn't want to use cheats to have a baby with the Grim Reaper in a neighborhood and then 3 generations later when I'm really attached to the neighborhood learn that it's corrupted. When someone could have told me when I asked for tips and tricks and explicitly asked if I was able have baby with the Grim Reaper if people didn't tell me about neighborhood corruption and that having a baby with the Grim Reaper is one way to cause neighborhood corruption.

I would want to learn about avoiding corruption before I spent all the time getting invested in my Sims because as someone who has experienced the really negative effects of neighborhood corruption, it's not something you want to find out you've done after you've gotten invested in your Sims.

It's really upsetting when you realize that 2 graves have disappeared and you don't remember anyone smashing them - or anyone that would have been in the right state to smash them. My founder's grave disappeared in that neighborhood and my 4th generation heir's grave as well.

It's really upsetting when two Sims that you love go invisible and become immortal and you can't even boolprop them to death to see if you can get them visible again by killing them and resurrecting them. My Simself and my spouse (generation 4 spare) were the ones who went invisible.

It's even more upsetting when you realize you could have prevented it in the first place.

The OP didn't ask for any corruption information in their original post. They may have later, they wanted to know the differences between TS2, 3 and 4. ETA: the graves disappearing was a bug caused by Pets, I had a few of those myself, but it was patched. That shouldn't ever happen again.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

The OP didn't ask for any corruption information in their original post. They may have later, they wanted to know the differences between TS2, 3 and 4. ETA: the graves disappearing was a bug caused by Pets, I had a few of those myself, but it was patched. That shouldn't ever happen again.

And the posts mentioning corruption here were given after someone in this thread asked about having a baby with the Grim Reaper. Something that does cause corruption. So it wasn't information given without someone asking for it.

As for the graves, they disappeared well after the Pets patch.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member

Thank you so much, the graphics are a bit off so I’ll try to fix that. Might end up posting if I have trouble. It’s ok! I’m not put off. Honestly, I’d probably have messed up and married the Grim Reaper if I hadn’t know ha ha :D
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited September 2018

I’m sorry to hear you experienced all that with your sims! I have a 8 gen legacy on TS4 and I’d be devastated if it got corrupted, so I can understand how upsetting that would be. You really get attached to certain sims and families! I definitely want to avoid anything like that happening in TS2 also.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2018

In short? Yes, to some extent. I'm not a Sims 2 player so I have no opinion about that game, but I've frequently seen something similar happen in the TS3 section. People wanting to try out the game being bombarded with well meant advice to 'make sure to use this mod and that mod and don't forget to add this and that and clean your cache files because the game's a buggy mess and will crash on you if you don't etc etc etc'. And all I could ever think, reading all that, was "I'm ever so glad I just jumped into that game all ignorant, encountering the occasional issue, looked it up, found a solution or restarted and all this vanilla. Cleaning cache files is something I never had to do untill I started to use mods in the first place.

I did play Sims 2, the UC. I opened the game and graphics were rubbish. So I came over here and asked and people kindly explained to me what to do - turned out my graphic card was too new - and they explained how I could get rid of the square shaped shadows and that was enough. I continued playing and enjoying it. What people don't realize is, that when you've played a game for years and years, all those tips and advices came to you one by one while playing and bumping into things. Some tips are essential, most of them though are just an option (at least, for Sims 3 and since that game is far more buggy than Sims 2 I can't imagine it will be worse for 2).

It's awesome for a new player to be able to turn to experienced players but I completely agree with Cinebar that overwhelming them with all kind of information about what might happen can be off putting and discouraging.

(to be clear, I don't want to speak for the OP here, I'm sure they are grateful for every bit of advice, just sharing my opinion about this in general)
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

In short? Yes, to some extent. I'm not a Sims 2 player so I have no opinion about that game, but I've frequently seen something similar happen in the TS3 section. People wanting to try out the game being bombarded with well meant advice to 'make sure to use this mod and that mod and don't forget to add this and that and clean your cache files because the game's a buggy mess and will crash on you if you don't etc etc etc'. And all I could ever think, reading all that, was "I'm ever so glad I just jumped into that game all ignorant, encountering the occasional issue, looked it up, found a solution or restarted and all this vanilla. Cleaning cache files is something I never had to do untill I started to use mods in the first place.

I did play Sims 2, the UC. I opened the game and graphics were rubbish. So I came over here and asked and people kindly explained to me what to do - turned out my graphic card was too new - and they explained how I could get rid of the square shaped shadows and that was enough. I continued playing and enjoying it. What people don't realize is, that when you've played a game for years and years, all those tips and advices came to you one by one while playing and bumping into things. Some tips are essential, most of them though are just an option (at least, for Sims 3 and since that game is far more buggy than Sims 2 I can't imagine it will be worse for 2).

It's awesome for a new player to be able to turn to experienced players but I completely agree with Cinebar that overwhelming them with all kind of information about what might happen can be off putting and discouraging.

(to be clear, I don't want to speak for the OP here, I'm sure they are grateful for every bit of advice, just sharing my opinion about this in general)

You completely forgot the second half of the question: if their question was can I do something if doing that something leads to corruption. I completely agree that corruption in this game can lead down a path of overwhelming information, especially if the player isn't very tech savvy.

No one in this thread talked about corruption until the OP asked if they could have babies with the Grim Reaper. Were we supposed to just tell her yes that she could? Is it right to not tell someone that an action would corrupt their game? Telling her no without a reason is just as bad. If she stumbles into it she might just think we didn't know we could and do it anyway. Even though we told her no because it's not safe to do so, not because it's not possible. Were we supposed to ignore the question and she goes and finds the answer somewhere else - and that somewhere else might be an old site and doesn't mention the corruption it causes?

And I only talked about the corruption that was relevant to what she was doing and some advice to avoid stumbling into it. I didn't even link her to the wiki page on it. Because I felt that would be information overload and I would have linked her had she asked for more information on corruption.
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org

If you want to make sims look better, I would start with default skin and eyes. Also, you’ll want to download ACR :)
    https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org

If you want to make sims look better, I would start with default skin and eyes. Also, you’ll want to download ACR :)

I would actually hold off on getting a mod that changes as much as that does. I feel that players should play new games with no mods or at most only mods that keep the game stable. For Sims 2, there are no mods that are that essential to game stability.

Without knowing how a game plays without mods, it's hard to tell if a mod is working right or if it's causing problems.