Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Oh, oops..., indeed hope you’ll be able to fix that. Love the lido idea!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    The last couple of days have been really interesting, First with help from a couple of YouTube videos and the kind people in the CAW tools section I learned how to successfully export my world for testing. I did manage to repair the bridge first which was a big relief as well.

The good news is most of the road routing is fine. There was one piece which leads up to the military barracks which needed a total rework. The terrain still needs levelling but at least the pieces of the road now link together properly.

l4WPjPE.png

Then I watched my sim jump off a cliff. So I have been researching sim routing. I knew I would have to use the non routable sim painting tool at some point but I did not realise how extensively. At the moment the routing data for the harbour looks like this.

n2Z85Qe.png

By the time I have finished this area the sim should descend to the harbour by the pathway. The advice in the article I read was to do the routing as you worked on the world. I shall definitely remember that for next time. In the meantime there are a couple of other areas where I suspect I might need to do this rework. One is almost certain to be the castle.

The final thing has been sorting out lot addresses and map tags. I am not entirely convinced I fully understand how to do this yet but at least all the community lots are labelled correctly now. The next step in this direction is to find and use rabbithole rugs. At the moment I need ones for the grocery store, the city hall, theatre, hospital, school, restaurant, diner, bookshop, business office, day spa, military base and police station. I used a shell for the cinema and that seems to work alright and I shall do the same for the science laboratories.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    There really isn't much else to share this week. I have just found myself with more work to do than I thought and most of it is not very exciting for an observer. However I did take time out to start work on a couple of new builds, and have come up with a lovely idea for a largish area towards the back of my map.

I am not a horsey person but it seems to me most of rural England is. Most places have their riding stables and the Horse of the Year show and Badminton Weekend draw huge crowds. So it is only natural Fenbury should have facilities for horses. The Paddocks is the first lot I have ever built which includes a stable.

8sNK68c.png

7uq7CP4.png

I wasn't happy with the position of the fire station so I moved it. I also took the time to put in the ubiquitous red telephone box noting, of course, that they are becoming increasingly rare, hundreds of them being removed during the 1980s. My current home town doesn't have one but Fenbury does not necessarily have to be a totally accurate representation of a West Country town :)

xsuLBdz.png

This is the spot I want to work on next. I shall keep the idea to myself until I have played around and got it the way I want it to look.

5STAGzH.png

Finally one of the other lots I moved was Fenbury Alms houses. I may well redesign them. In their place I have put down some Deco appartments. Think Poirot and you will get what I mean. It is not the best deco building I have ever designed and may well change again.

Ghwneml.png

35TCzBg.png

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    So far this week I have been busy sorting out real life issues. Today however I managed some more progress on an area that desperately needed some attention. Traditional English woodland is something very precious. These days we grow trees purely for profit and our tree plantations are nothing but quick growing pine. Traditional copses or woods were always a mixture of trees, which despite their appearance were carefully maintained to provide good game hunting for local land owners and poachers. I have tried as far as possible to stick to native British species for Fenbury Woods but one or two aliens have crept in. There is the Chinese Maple which I have added for extra colour and the rhododendron. The British have been fighting a losing battle to eliminate the rhododendron from their landscape. It's rapid colonisation makes it as popular as a Triffid

.8LG8FKD.png

WlczFzJ.png

egrDnVQ.png

Sim enim est vita
    edited September 2018
    Love it! Why have the British tried to fight and eliminate rhododendrons..?
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 the rhododendron is not native to the UK but it really likes it here. Originally brought here as a garden plant it was also planted by the Victorians in the wild, particularly woodland. It does look very pretty. Unfortunately it's growth and spread can rapidly outstrip British species so that they are effectively smothered and stop growing. It has also invaded moors and heathland making it a threat to native grasses etc on which sheep feed. If carefully managed it doesn't need to be a problem but in many places it has got out of control. It is almost impossible to eradicate completely because the use of chemicals also kills off native plants and trees. In some cases the decision has been taken to burn the effected area and then replant with native plants. I hope this didn't send you to sleep :)

Sim enim est vita
    As I have been updating during the week there is little to post tonight. I have been landscaping, as I still have an awful lot of rock and sand to paint in. Anyway I have also put in three new builds.

The first is a woodkeeper's cottage.

EBd79Ux.png

This then led me to sorting out the science centre so that it blended a bit more into the environment.

kPrz5l7.png

Among the playable families I have already created for Fenbury I have created a witch. So I needed a potion consignment store. To keep it looking typically British I have modelled it on a pharmacy I used many years ago in Gosforth, Newcastle.

CE5PM6C.png

The upper floor is supposed to be accommodation but I shall be using the privacy spheres to stop sims from exploring it. I also need a chemist's sign but haven't found anything suitable yet.

I also want an ordinary consignment store. So mine is masquerading as a hardware shop. It might seem odd to have the two shops side by side but in the town I grew up in that was the case.

dvLHLEv.png

I am not sure about posting next week. It is getting close to my op date and I have a number of medical appointments this week.

Sim enim est vita
    This will probably be my last post before my surgery. I have some real life stuff to deal with before then and to be honest the new meds I am currently trying are making me very tired.

So I have been doing a little building this week.
    RGineRr.png

I wanted a house with a proper old fashioned greenhouse. Most of my sims are gardeners and I thought it would be good to give this lot to one of them.

I mentioned about using the water wheel from the Brunch at the Old Mill set. I am actually working on this lot in game rather thn EIG. The place where I want to place it needs a lot of terrain sculpting and levelling before I can place it in Fenbury. I also need to fix the bridge properly and adjust the water level of both sea and river so that the lot isn't under water when I do place it :D:D

iYlnNBr.png

Sim enim est vita
    edited September 2018
    Must have missed the notifications!
    @JoAnne65 the rhododendron is not native to the UK but it really likes it here. Originally brought here as a garden plant it was also planted by the Victorians in the wild, particularly woodland. It does look very pretty. Unfortunately it's growth and spread can rapidly outstrip British species so that they are effectively smothered and stop growing. It has also invaded moors and heathland making it a threat to native grasses etc on which sheep feed. If carefully managed it doesn't need to be a problem but in many places it has got out of control. It is almost impossible to eradicate completely because the use of chemicals also kills off native plants and trees. In some cases the decision has been taken to burn the effected area and then replant with native plants. I hope this didn't send you to sleep :)
    Thanks, that’s very insightful! I wonder what that like in my country then (Netherlands, we have a lot of rhododendrons as well and who knows they cause the same issue).

I love the buildings you’re making and the atmosphere of your world. Also curious what the houses and buildings look like inside. I hope surgery will go well.
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 Thank you :) Many of the interiors are not started yet. I wanted to make sure EIG, which is very temperamental, continues to save. The decorating will be done after I have successfully exported the world and can work on it in game. To be honest some of the exteriors still need a lot of work too. All things I plan to tackle after my surgery :)

Rhododendrons are a real hazard to any where animals graze. So I should imagine Northern Holland where I know you have a lot of cheese farms probably doesn't appreciate rhododendrons where the cows graze.

Sim enim est vita
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    I LOVE the lot with the greenhouse, it's so pretty! And the little diagonal bump-out over the door is such a cool architectural feature. I want to live in that house in real life :D I hope your surgery goes well!! <3
    @KhemKat19 thank you for your kind words. They couldn't have come at a better time as I am feeling somewhat grumpy this morning. I have been struggling to sort out the terrain for my water mill and when I finally installed the lot late last night the wheel simply didn't save.

I have attached a couple more pics of the unnamed house. As I have said I don't plan on interior decoration until I open the world in game but I would rather like to put a grand piano in the entrance hall and I like the bump out would make a good place to sit and read or watch the world go by.

If you really want the house I will put it on the exchange for you. Be warned though I accidentally drew the lot size to 41 x 30. It isn't an issue for me but might be for anyone downloading it. It is completely cc free.

SEkIGBO.png

Q2MfYRT.png

UJR6jkZ.png

And thank you once again for cheering me up :D

Sim enim est vita
    I'm so glad I could cheer you up :D I know it's so frustrating when things don't save! YES please put the house on the exchange, I'd be so happy to add it to my game!! I think the bump out would make a great reading nook. And if you end up sharing Fenbury when you're done, I plan on downloading that as well :)

Sim enim est vita
    Thank you!!! Omg yes I'm so excited for my lucky simmies, I'm installing it right now!
    KhemKat19 wrote: »
    Thank you!!! Omg yes I'm so excited for my lucky simmies, I'm installing it right now!

I'm sure you will do wonderful things with the interior. Will you post pics so I have something good to look at while I recover from surgery ?

Sim enim est vita
    Most definitely! I've got plans for some hardcore simming tomorrow :)
    This really, really is my last post before my op on Thursday. I have run out of time for now. Still I have plenty to think of while I recover and then perhaps when I am a lot better things might go a bit faster and I can finish building Fenbury :D

So I finally managed to save the Fenbury Water Mill with the water wheel !! This is the view from the river inspired I might add by the Egyptian Cotton Mill in Gloucestershire. The mill also used a water mill for the cotton making. The Fenbury mill is more likely to have been for the grinding of corn and other cereals. The shame of it is I have no ducks, moor hens or swans to put on the water to make it more of an English landscape.

Ugpd0hA.png

This shot shows how much landscaping I still have to do in creating a path to the mill and putting up fences along the rock ridge. This is the first time I have experimented with the bulrushes and I just love the way they move.

wASEYAx.png

Sim enim est vita
    Just to say I'm finally home from hospital. Fenbury is very much on my mind but will have to wait until I am stronger.

I would like to thank everyone for their good wishes including a certain satirical website we are not allowed to mention.

On the subject of naming Fenbury I just liked the name. I was actually brought up on the Lincolnshire Fens and I currently live on the Somerset levels so that may have influenced my thinking :D:D

Sim enim est vita
    This is by way of a huge apology. Betty got as far as opening her laptop this week only to discover her VC had lapsed while she was in hospital. To say I was cross with myself is an understatement. So the laptop is off for its annual maintenance check and I must twiddle my thumbs for a few days longer.

I have had some ideas about the landscaping between the railway station and tunnel which I want to try out.

In the meantime I shall continue to drool over the new desktop pcs :D:D

Sim enim est vita
    We’ll have to be patient haha ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    Yes :D:D a maintenance check usually takes a couple of days.

Sim enim est vita
    I hate having to come a second time and offer my apologies. Due to circumstances way beyond my control I ended up back in hospital 10 days ago. Thanks to the speedy care I received the situation which threatened to undo the major surgery I underwent in October was reversed. I was left feeling like a wet dish rag and not feeling particularly inclined to use the computer.

Yesterday I blew the dust off the laptop, got into CAW and started the landscaping between the train tunnel and what was Fenbury railway station. It is now Fenbury Art gallery. Progress is slow but I do have a good idea of what I want for this area, having thought about it a lot while I was in hospital the first time. It is far too early to post pics but when I have something decent to show then I will post here.

The holiday season is fast approaching and I am also working on a sub project for the thread as a little celebration. So that is something for us all to look forward to this time next month. If I start now there should be time to get it done before the season's preparation madness overtakes me.

Thank you for your patience/

Betty

Sim enim est vita
    This is about as much as I want to do to the area between the train tunnel and the art gallery. I have kind of assumed the trustees of the art gallery were given the land when they took over the abandoned railway station. In reality after Dr Beeching had finished wrecking Britain's railways, many tracks were ripped up and the land built over. In some enlightened places such as Newcastle Upon Tyne the lines were preserved and incorporated into their new metro system. This not only eased traffic congestion in the city centre but allowed the good burgers of Newcastle easy access to the local seaside towns. Here I have decided the trustees, wanting to use as much money as possible to repair the railway station and install exhibits have decided on a wild flower meadow. The track remains as a symbol to the past use of the land.

I have worked on the principle less is more. I just wish I had some nettles, docks and other weeds to put among the flowers.

mWnskgN.png
    VDUus0N.png
    Qf5iYIB.png

Sim enim est vita
    I'm going to say this only once - putting in fences is right up there with difficult things to do along with laying down roads. Nevertheless I had added another couple of builds and tidied up the corner by the art gallery this week.

The White House is another horsey type property.

vIMQRzB.png
    xOAAG6r.png

You can see the other new build, Railway Cottages, in the following pics of railway corner.

DnPFfh6.png
    JkjsMuE.png
    BbzNDRx.png
    y4IOJjU.png

I have also started to put in street lighting which I will need for Christmas Fenbury.

Sim enim est vita