Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

S4 BuildnShare Winners Circle

Comments

• BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    edited August 2018
    fcuRqPI.png
    Starting Out Results for #BNS101 - Five by FIve

@Sbodine89
    3CAw9TM.png
    Faith’s Hideaway is a 2-storey brick house that will certainly keep Faith safe from vampires. I love the moat and stones that surround and protect Faith’s house. Also, having the house on a second level is good thinking, as Faith will certainly be able to see any sign of danger coming from such a high perch. A nice layout with an eat-in kitchen counter, the colorful interior will keep Faith in a good mood. One minor thing that I noticed was that there was an indoor garbage can, but I didn’t see an outdoor one. Also, is there a smoke alarm? You used all of your budget, your build is 5 x 5 as required, and our admin confirmed that there were no routing issues. Great job!

Suggestions: Aside from the tv, I would have liked to have seen a few more skill items for Faith, like a yoga mat, bookcase or card table. Since vampire slayers need to stay in shape, turning the “moat” into a pool would have been an idea. Of course, going up and down those stairs would do it, but unfortunately stair climbing doesn’t increase your fitness skill in sims. Not fair, right? I know that a lot of the budget was taken up by the rocks, so here’s an idea to save some simoleons, but still get the “rock” look. You can use a debug item that looks like a rock, but costs nothing. In build mode, do the same as you would for MOO, except instead of MOO, type bb.showhiddenobjects, then in the search area on the bottom left side, type debug, and all the debug items show up. The fake rock is about the 5th line down after the log. Rocks can really rack up the cost of a build, so hope this helps. Other than that, a very nice build.

@missautumn19
    bdKNxvi.png
    Five by Five-Faith is a one-level wood and brick house. There is an outdoor patio eating area that is shielded by wooden slats to add to the privacy. I love all the garlic that you added, such as the garlic wreath over the front door, and garlic growing in the garden pots. Lots of windows in the house will ensure that Faith can see all around her.These touches are sure to keep Faith safe from vampires. The layout is well-thought out with a divider used to separate the living room from the bedroom. Our admin found one routing issue in that the tv can’t be watched (maybe a smaller one would work), and your build is 5 x 5 as required. Great job!

Suggestions: You still had some funds available in your budget and I would have liked to have seen a bit more landscaping. The lone palm tree near the house seemed a bit, well, lonely. Perhaps a few low-lying shrubs or flowers around the walkway would have been nice. In your slideshow, I see Faith reading a book, but I could not see a bookshelf anywhere -- is there one? Don’t forget the little things like a smoke alarm in the kitchen and a toilet paper roll in the bathroom. As for your slideshow, some of your screenshots have a “fish bowl” look and your photos were not labelled. Take a look at the Build-n-Share Guide for Showcasing Lots for some photo taking tips. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTm3M4hPnWqBgfkmQOzc0JNHAbMC5C0t/view
    Other than that, a very nice build.

@jojoMOMSTER
    nBmi1uc.jpg
    Safehouse is a one-level wooden house surrounded by a high security barbed-wire fence in a desert landscape. Inside the gates is a firepit and chairs, an easel and an outside garbage can. Inside the house is a pleasant surprise with a nice layout leading to a separate bedroom. There is also a small eating area inside the house. I really liked the idea of the one-way mirror glass on the bedroom wall and the photos of Faith and her Mom to remind her of her purpose in life. A bookshelf is in the bedroom and there is a tv in the living room, so lots for Faith to do. You made good use of your budget, your build is 5 x 5 as required, and our admin confirmed that there were no routing issues. Great job!

Suggestions: The gallery photo does not do this build justice, as the fence blocks the house. A suggestion would be to use the “Be Prepared Security Fence” instead of the “For Your Protection Chain Link Fence” for the curb view of the build. That way, the fence is see-through, and you can see the house, but still give the same effect of security. The front of the house is a bit bare. To add some interest, I would have added a “paned” window, such as the “As time Goes By” window, so it looks like it has bars on them or a wall vent. Some wild grass underneath would have added to the build. Other than that, a very nice build.

@SILVIAEGIGIZINI
    Yys4hWk.jpg[IMG][/img]
    Tacco 12 is a 2-storey concrete and wood build shaped like a shoe. “Tacco” in Italian means heel. Such a unique design! I can actually see Faith wearing these to “stamp out” vampires. Stiletto heels can be dangerous. The layout is well thought-out with a roomy kitchen on the first level, and a bedroom and bath on the second level. The skull wall hanging in the bedroom and bath remind Faith to be on the lookout for vampires. There is also a computer in the bedroom. Outside, there is a fenced, shaded patio with a pool (great for keeping Faith in shape), bar-b-q and eating area. The placement of the stairs is very well done. The color scheme for the house is very relaxing and it is amazing how you got so many items in your build. Your build is 5 x 5 as required (10 squares on 1st; 15 on 2nd), and our admin confirmed that there were no routing issues. Great job!

Suggestions: I really liked your build and it is the most unique build in the Starting Out category. Unfortunately, you went over the budget, and this really brought down the marks assigned to your build. The paintings that you displayed in your build were beautiful, but eliminating just one and substituting with a Maxis painting would have brought you within budget. So my suggestion is to watch your budget and don’t go over. The price assigned to the gallery up-load is what we go by, plus lot cost. So, if the budget is $20K including the lot, the max cost for the gallery up-load would be $18,500 with a lot cost of $1,500. I hope that helps. My only other suggestion would be to use the terrain tools to edge your house with “dirt”, and in your slideshow, label your photos with captions. Other than that, a very nice build.
    3gHHX7s.png

HBnWubX.png
    And the winner is☆@Sbodine89
    3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Congrats @Sbodine89!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    Congratulations @Sbodine89 ! I do like your "high tower" build! NNicely done everyone!
  • Sbodine89Sbodine89 Posts: 144 Member
    @BuildnShare Thank you so much! I knew about the showhiddenobjects cheat but I had never seen a rock in there! This info changes everything! I would have decked out that house way more and added way more activities if I knew that earlier! I did forget an outside trash can, I seem to do that a lot. I am so surprised by this win, I honestly saw everyone elses and thought, "man how can I compete?" Thank you so much!!!

@AIRIS6962 @BreeMiles @FaithofKaela @JojoMOMSTER Thanks guys! Everyone's houses were so great!
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Sbodine89 - congrats on your win! Woot! Everyone's builds were super terrific. Great job everyone!
  • missautumn19missautumn19 Posts: 22 Member
    Congrats @Sbodine89!! Beautiful build.
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    Just getting back from vacation, so I may be a little behind in my replies.

Congrats to @Pallystyle, @RachelShennan, @FruUtter and @TresaofPern for your Gorgeous resorts, sims and lobby! :smile:

@kimwriter75, lol! :p Thank you very much for your wonderful comments! :blush:

Congrats @Sbodine89! :smiley:
    fcuRqPI.png
    Starting Out Sim Entries for #BNS101 - Five By Five

@Sbodine89☆
    eLRbDmL.jpg

Faith is a great sim and she looks so fierce in her outfit. She looks ready to tackle any vampire or night creature crossing her path. Great Sim!

@JojoMOMSTER☆
    DwmzU2a.png[img][/img]

Faith Calling is an alien. Yikes! Look out vampires! I love your slideshow and her back story. Very creative with the rocks in the garden turning into alien children. I definitely want to call Faith if I have a vampire problem. Great Sim!
    3gHHX7s.png
    And the winner is ☆@JojoMOMSTER☆
    3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    Congrats @JojoMOMSTER for your sim slayer! Faith Calling is super cool. Great sims everyone.
  • SILVIAEGIGIZINISILVIAEGIGIZINI Posts: 294 Member
    Congrats to all winners!!!!!!!! :):D;)<3:*<3:*<3:*B)
    Thanks for the compliments on my builds @BuildnShare And I really appreciate the precious suggestions on the budget !!! I must remember in the future to label the photos! Actually when I build houses for me I am attentive to these details but when I take part in a challenge my brain goes into confusion LoL Congrats to the winners again, baci baci, Silvia♥♥
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited August 2018
    Congrats @Sbodine89 on your build and your sim @JojoMOMSTER <3<3B)
    edited September 2018
    bhaXpM1.png

Expert Results for #BnS101

@Talea12345
    What a lovely little space. I like the use of hedges and fencing to define the lot. Great idea to include a driveway and transportation. The side patio with privacy fence is a nice addition. There a good bit of livable space outside of the tiny home walls. The kitchen makes creative use of cabinets and shelving to provide storage and functionality. I like the use of the privacy screen between the kitchen/dining and sleeping areas.

Suggestions: The white walls feel a bit stark. A different wall texture could help add warmth to the build. Our playtester reports that your kitchen is not playable because the placement of the chairs blocks access.
    q3IEMf8.png

@BreeMiles
    This little build packs tons of curb appeal! Great job on adding architectural interest to such a tiny home. The inside has plenty of charm as well. The interiors are eclectic, but they have purposeful design decisions. The interior layout makes perfect use of the small space. Oh, and you had enough in the budget for a pool? Nice!

Suggestions: Not a lot to add – this is a super little home. Our playtester reports that there are no routing issues, but current placement doesn’t allow for upgrade of the stereo or TV.
    7CGhEnk.jpg

@Laireen35☆
    How clever to make the placement of this tiny build diagonal on the lot. The exterior architecture is fantastic – so much visual interest is paced into the little build without it overwhelming the structure. Great use of terrain paints and fencing to define the outdoor spaces. I can’t believe you fit in a double bed! The interior living spaces have charm and a nicely cohesive design. Oh – love the skylight concept!

Suggestions: I can’t think of anything to add! You’ve planned out each ½ square of living space to its maximum use. Our playtester reports that there is no usable countertop for cooking and placement of the kitchen bin doesn’t allow for emptying.
    KkpRMZo.png

☆ @ wrathofcath ☆
    The roofline, windows and doors on this build are so charming! Fantastic use of terrain paint to define the front path, and I love the little fishing pond out front. The outdoor living space in the rear of the home is beautifully done. The interior layout is perfectly planned, and the color scheme is cohesive throughout. There is so much style and appeal throughout the interiors – great job.

Suggestions: I can’t think of a single thing to add – it’s divine! Our playtester reports that the placement of the TV makes it inaccessible for upgrading.
    WR0Sql0.jpg

☆ @ abelhinha35 ☆
    The modified gambrel roof on this build is a unique take – nice job! I love the stone exterior and the contrasting wooden door and window choices. The chimney adds such charm and is perfectly matched to the stone exterior siding. This little home is so cute from all sides. Love the garden and clothes lines. The little bedroom is so sweet – I love that the bed and mirror are fully functional.

Suggestions: There was a spot or two where the design wasn’t fully cohesive (purple table cloth, differing exterior doors). Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!
    BojvGMA.jpg

@Green_Girly100
    I love the a-line chalet look of this home. The cottage feel is enhanced by the adorable pink door and flower containers out front. The interiors are so cute and quirky. It has a very boho chic feel to it. Great job on making all the differing colors and patterns have a very cohesive feel. I love the pink and yellow picnic table and brightly colored laundry line.

Suggestions: A few more landscaping details (more terrain paint, etc.) would take this lot to the next level. Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!
    ycPrpKL.png

@Oliana
    I love the Asian feel you’ve created with Urban Bamboo. The fencing used to define the outdoor space makes it feel like it’s a natural extension of the small home. I love the red door that contrasts with the dark siding and fencing. The tiny pool is a fantastic touch, and you’ve chosen a great low-cost dining set that reflects the urban feel. The interiors are so nicely done with the natural wood tones and small touches of color.

Suggestions: Even for a tiny home, we’d like to see more pictures. We judge solely by your media, so this is very important. Our playtester reports that there is no usable countertop space and no garbage bin on the lot.
    X1Cv25t.jpg

@kilra0
    This home is so perfectly situated in its surrounding neighborhood! Love unique shape of the build and the porch that creates the exterior living space. The butterfly roof is nicely done and adds great architectural interest. The giant picture window gives it the perfect industrial flair. The landscaping you’ve done makes the home blend so well into the dock space. The interiors are nicely done as well with great attention to detail.

Suggestions: There was a slight disconnect between the industrial exterior and the contemporary interiors. Our playtester reports that the mirror in the bathroom is unusable and placement of the stereo makes it impossible to upgrade.
    GE31nqv.png

@SoulGal7
    I love the Southwestern flair on this little home. You’ve chosen the perfect siding, flooring, fencing and trims to convey this style. The tile accent on the attached pergola is a perfect choice. I like that you have exterior living space on both the front and the side. And that you’ve fully landscaped the entire lot. The small pool is a nice touch. Interesting sunken kitchen effect!

Suggestions: I would have liked to have seen a bit more architectural interest on the basic 5x5 structure itself to make it more than a rectangle with an a-frame roof. Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!
    qDCQkiF.png]

@gmcrozier
    This little modern shows that you don’t need a large space to create architectural interest. I love the front view with its multiple heights and overhanging roof section. The fencing also provides contrasting texture while defining the exterior space. I love the raised patio area in the back yard. Great small pool near the exterior dining. The interior spaces are nicely laid out.

Suggestions: I feel like the interior color scheme and pool area flooring are disconnected from the sophisticated exterior texture choices. More neutrals in these areas would give a more cohesive design. Our playtester reports that there was no available counterspace for cooking. Also, there were walls enclosing what should have been the exterior dining space.
    g1FZ9x4.png

@iamlinday
    Slayer Shack is the perfect modern tiny home. I love the contrast between the dark brick and the white trim. Great job on adding interest to the roofline with the overhang and trims. From all angles, this build is packed with interesting design details. The interior is so nicely done with tons of life and charm. What a clever idea to have the table over the bed to maximize space. I hope it’s on rollers, because I would totally kick that thing in the night and knock over the TV, lol. OMG – is that a knife in the nightstand? That is so Faith, and a perfect touch.

Suggestions: I can’t think of anything to add design-wise. Our playtester reports no routing issues but the placement of the TV doesn’t allow for upgrade.
    HYAp28I.png

@AIRIS6962
    This home is perfectly situated on the lot with a very realistic pond out front. Inside, the space is meticulously laid out with each square foot put to good use. I love the little desk and computer. Great inclusion of shelves and cubbies for storage. The succulent wall hangings on the porch are lovely. I love that there are plenty of outdoor activities for Faith to enjoy. Fantastic that the front porch area is covered for use in all weather.

Suggestions: The interior color scheme and style choices weren’t very cohesive. Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!
    7AaGt7U.jpg

@Ninnster
    Boho Bungalow is so cute from the front! It reminds me of a little Key West cottage. The landscaping and terrain paint are just perfect. I love the gingerbread trim and the contrast of the light siding with the brown shingle roof. The back patio with strung lights and small swimming pool looks so inviting. Inside, the boho style really comes to life. Great job on combining colors in a surprising yet cohesive way. I love the use of curtains to define the bedroom space. That tile really pops in the small bathroom.

Suggestions: The sides of the home might have benefitted from some small windows or other architectural feature. Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!
    63XZEaE.jpg

@faithofkaela
    This little home looks perfectly nestled into the desert rocks of Oasis Springs. Great job on the front driveway lined with stones and the cute little water feature out front. The curved planters are a great way to add visual interest. Inside is where this house really shines. The black brick of the kitchen and geometric wallpaper are perfectly modern/industrial and look like they would fit Faith’s personality perfectly. The baseball bat by the bed is a nice touch!

Suggestions: There was a little bit of a disconnect between the exterior and interior design. Our playtester reports zero routing issues, but there is no garbage bin inside or out.
    yw8dNjZ.png

@Corwim
    Wow – there is so much soul to Purple Grunge Starter. The home is perfectly integrated into the urban neighborhood it occupies. Great job on the terrain paint and landscaping that helps it blend into the surroundings. The home itself has great architectural interest. Inside, the industrial feel is carried over nicely into the interior design. The layout makes perfect use of the available space, and the color scheme is nicely executed. I love the brick walls as a texture contrast to the purple design accents.

Suggestions: I can’t think of a single thing I’d change. Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!
    KRvs2dE.png

@Renamed2002180839
    This home is beautifully landscaped! The siding and architectural choices give it the feel of a Japanese tea house. Great job on a very sophisticated look overall. I love the covered dining area and the tiny pool. You’ve made great use of the limited inside space with create seating and a unique kitchen layout. I like the use of green as a unifying color throughout the build.

Suggestions: I would have liked to have seen some wood or other texture on the walls rather than the dark brown. Our playtester reports zero routing issues – great job!

fLsS6rn.png

@Karababy52
    What a cute build! I love that you’ve been able to make it two story with such a small floor plan. Great choices of stone and wood siding. Good use of terrain paints, and lovely flowers flanking the front door and under the windows. The umbrella table for outdoor dining is a unique choice. Great job blending the pond into the landscaping. Inside, I love the choice of blue as the accent color. Great job on pulling that throughout the build in your color scheme. I loved reading about Faith's backstory - so creative!

Suggestions: I wonder about the practicality of only being able to access the bedroom from the outside. Our playtester found that there is no clear counter for cooking. Placement also prevents TV upgrade and emptying of the interior trash bin.
    [img][/img]5HyLm71.png

3gHHX7s.png

With 17(!) Expert entries this round, the competition was all the more intense. We even had to expand the winners podium to accommodate the extra large field of entries. It's never easy in this category as all the builds are fantastic in their own right. But here goes...

dBXIKwi.jpg
    And the winner is...

@Linday !

2nd Place goes to...

@Corwim AND @WrathofCath!

3rd Place goes to...

@Ninnster !

4th Place goes to...

@Kilra0 AND @Oliana !

3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited September 2018
    @BuildnShare - Wow! What a list! Obviously this was a popular build. I don't know how you decided with all these fantastic entries. Great job everyone! Thank you for the comments, as always :) Congrats to the winners in the Expert Build Category @linday @WrathofCath @corwim @ninnster @kilra0 @oliana Wow! That podium is getting crowded - no pushing now! lol Lovely builds.

The build I made was fashioned after the exterior of a real life house, with some changes, of course. First time I did something like that. Too bad we can't do windows like that. If anyone is interested, there are some cool small house plans from this builder.

homestead_planners_build.png
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,903 Member
  • AIRIS6962AIRIS6962 Posts: 5,611 Member

Wonderful tiny homes and sims everyone! <3 Congrats to the winners! <3

Thank you @BuildnShare for this funny challenge! :smiley:
  • chips46chips46 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Very cute tiny homes everyone <3 and Congrats to the winners <3<3<3<3
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Congratulations to all the winners, very well deserved! Thank you @BuildnShare for the critique, very much appreciated! I guess I should've left the stairs inside afterall. lol Oh well... I'm surprised the kitchen counter wasn't working for food prep, it did when I playtested. o.O Anyway, I'll keep your suggestions in mind for next time. I enjoyed building this little home, and that's the most important thing, eh? :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • abelhinha35abelhinha35 Posts: 2,303 Member
    edited September 2018
    Great builds everyone congrats to all winners and placers. <3<3
  • kilra0kilra0 Posts: 644 Member
    Wow what a podium! Congrats @linday, @Sbodine89 and @JojoMOMSTER so very well deserved :star: and also to all placers. Everyone did a great job.

Thank you @BuildnShare for the feedback very much appreciated :smiley: I totally forgot to test the mirror :grimace: and I'm very happy to be placed next to such awesome builders <3
  • CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited September 2018
    Wow, I never would have thought to place in the expert category, surrounded by a bunch of my absolute favourite creators! :blush: Thank you so much @BuildnShare for this fabulous challenge and for the wonderful feedback! Congratulations to @Sbodine89 , @JojoMOMSTER and @linday on your wins, to everyone who placed and everyone who participated! I loved the variety of 5x5 houses created and sims made, each and everyone was so unique and with plenty of character, well done everyone. <3<3<3B)

I was still on a Buffy/Faith high after the challenge ended, so I had my sim create a bunch of Buffy related paintings. :wink: These are based on images from the official Buffy the Vampire Slayer comic book. Here's the Faith themed ones. :smiley:
    42516025090_2936cddfc4_o.jpg
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    Wow!! Congrats to @Linday, @Corwim, @WrathofCath, @Ninnster, @Kilra0 and @Oliana!! Wowza, what a podium!! Thanks to @BuildnShare as well for the epic feedback, I really appreciate it!!
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
    @Corwim once the gallery smartens up I will stop br your page. That is some lovely artwork.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top