Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are bills suppose to be this high?

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    This is why I refuse to use the thermostat in my game, and just place down fireplaces instead.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Get 5000 satisfaction points and buy a money tree. If you place a plant next to it, when your gardening skill is high enough you can harvest the money fruit and plant more. Eventually you'll have so much money it wont matter how high your bills are :) Seriously though I run the thermostat for most of the winter and my house isn't small. 2 pc's on lot, a treadmill and huge tv and washer and dry and my bills are only around 4000.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    My bills are nuts, and I don't even HAVE Seasons yet lol. Thinking about turning them down in MCCC honestly.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    This is why I refuse to use the thermostat in my game, and just place down fireplaces instead.

I have two fireplaces in the house and the bills were still that high. I haven't played in a while but when I get back on I'm gonna see what's in the family bin. I'm currently using the farmhouse I built in my gallery. There really isn't anything spectacular in the home.

I think this might be a glitch of sorts.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Been getting bills costing $10,000+... even with the lights off it’s still so high :s
  • rosemagwinrosemagwin Posts: 25 Member
    It's based on your lot value, so the bigger and more expensive the house, the higher the bills
  • vivica86vivica86 Posts: 231 Member
    Without using the thermostat my sims bills are around 6000, turn on the thermostat and it's around 25000!
    Let me take you down, cos I'm going to Strawberry Fields... <3
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    It's possible.. There're lots of reasons.. the lot size, the thermostat, the items in the house.. but not sure if the numbers of Sims are counted too..
    I've been experiencing the power shut down multiple time because my Sims can't afford it :#
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    I recently experienced a bill that cost me about 25000! I had the money to pay for it at the time, but left me almost broke with the family. After I checked out their inventories and discovered all the collection items they were hoarding, I started to sell them all off through the yard sale table and on the next bill due, it was back to far more comfortable levels; between 1-3000.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I recently experienced a bill that cost me about 25000! I had the money to pay for it at the time, but left me almost broke with the family. After I checked out their inventories and discovered all the collection items they were hoarding, I started to sell them all off through the yard sale table and on the next bill due, it was back to far more comfortable levels; between 1-3000.

Wow! That's so huge differences. Like dropping to at least 22k.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited September 2018
    zamira82 wrote: »

Wow! That's so huge differences. Like dropping to at least 22k.

Yes, and it was including the fact some of the members already had the Frugal trait on them when the bill was due. It could've been much worse.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I banned thermostat after I got bills 36k.
  • BoardwalkBoardwalk Posts: 25 Member
    The most I've seen is around 70K!! But that's alright, my sims are quite wealthy.
  • KatieGKatieG Posts: 54 Member
    The highest I've ever seen the bills be is $9,000. I thought it was a lot at the time, but after reading this thread, I feel pretty lucky.
    All this is Wow. I can't believe the differences in bills. I hope this is something that gets fixed to something more proportionate.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I haven't had really expensive bills but at least one (some times more than one) member has frugal trait and I believe that helps a lot.
  • RellyJackRellyJack Posts: 136 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I have seen so many people mention outrageous bill amounts all of a sudden and I have yet to experience this. I’m convinced it’s some kind of mod everyone has.

I don't use mods --- i had a bill of 76000
  • KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    If I remember right, and correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the amount of a bill is determined by what your sims have in their
    inventory. But also by what they have in their house as well. So if I am correct. A lot of fancy stuff filling up a large house can
    get expensive when it comes to bill time.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I had the thermostat turned on for a day or two, and my bills went from 4k on a Monday to 24k on a Thursday. Fortunately my sims had plenty of cash to spare after moving into their new home

Never again
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Humility925Humility925 Posts: 152 Member
    I think stuff in Sim's Pocket shouldn't cause bill high, only house itself. It's strange to keep paying a bill stuff you had and already gain or bought it to own it but seem it's more of all stuff in sim's pocket is a rent rather than own it.
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Kasanth wrote: »
    If I remember right, and correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the amount of a bill is determined by what your sims have in their inventory. But also by what they have in their house as well. So if I am correct. A lot of fancy stuff filling up a large house can
    get expensive when it comes to bill time.

This is what I have heard as well. Pretty sure not only the sims personal inventory but the household inventory counts too.

Something to think about, if you have a huge garden with produce - that will be a lot of money. Especially if the produce is of better quality. Try and sell it off the day before the bills arrive.

Another more obvious one, if your sim has collections like gemstones etc they are worth a lot of money. Or perhaps decorate the walls with masterpiece pantings.

In the end, just make sure the household inventory and the sims personal inventories aren't cluttered. (Having less in those as well as on the lot with generally let the game play better as well.)
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited November 2018
    Not a bug, although I have never seen bills over $6,000 in my own game files even with seasons. The bills have to do with what your home and furnishings are worth, your sims' inventories, the family inventory, and now with seasons if they use the thermostat.

I have a few suggestions. Be a minimalist, only having essentials and no extra decor. Keep all inventories down to only the few things you need to keep. Use the fireplace and pool to heat up or cool down, and maybe only use the thermostat in extreme cold amd hot weather.

I also play legacy families, and if you are not careful all the extra unneeded items and frills can help make higher bills. My sims have lower bills and more wealth because their home looks simple. I also earn at least one sim in each generation the reward trait to lower bills.

Aren't we all glad that's not how our utilities are assessed in RL? I have fireplaces in my Sims homes, plus ceiling fans in the mansion. Neither helps the bill, sadly enough. I'm also a bit tweaked that the cost of cooling the house is less expensive than heating it. I've never found that to be the case in RL. The only thing that does seem to have an effect is the Thrifty Trait you Sim can earn.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited November 2018

Aren't we all glad that's not how our utilities are assessed in RL? I have fireplaces in my Sims homes, plus ceiling fans in the mansion. Neither helps the bill, sadly enough. I'm also a bit tweaked that the cost of cooling the house is less expensive than heating it. I've never found that to be the case in RL. The only thing that does seem to have an effect is the Thrifty Trait you Sim can earn.

Have you never lived anywhere that gets really cold? Lived in Wisconsin for the first 20+ years of my life, and winter heating bills were insane. Summer cooling was hardly a cost at all.

Now, if you live in a place like SoCal, you are right...cooling is the killer. But even then, my electric bill in summer in SoCal was no comparison to what the gas bill was in winter when I lived in Wisconsin.

Sims weather for most of the towns are closer to Wisconsin. Would make sense in Oasis Springs to have it the other way around though.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    I think stuff in Sim's Pocket shouldn't cause bill high, only house itself. It's strange to keep paying a bill stuff you had and already gain or bought it to own it but seem it's more of all stuff in sim's pocket is a rent rather than own it.

I agree. I don't think things in a Sims inventory should count on to their bills. I understand the house itself and what is in the house. But not a Sims personal inventory.

I just don't think one's sim bill should be 20,000 or more every time they get bills. Regardless of what or how big their home is that is way too much. Figured it was a glitch as of the new patch I haven't experienced such high bills.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I had the thermostat turned on for a day or two, and my bills went from 4k on a Monday to 24k on a Thursday. Fortunately my sims had plenty of cash to spare after moving into their new home

Never again

Why are you getting bills on a Thursday? Is that a mod? Bills only come in on Mondays.
    p8L4V6v.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top