Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• FruUtterFruUtter Posts: 128 Member
    FruUtter wrote: »
    CHALLENGE #101 - Five by Five: The Stars and The Moon
    FORUM ID:FruUtter
    ORIGIN ID: FruUtter
    LEVEL: Expert

OMG, @FruUtter - your builds are always so creative! I love this! <3

You are so very kind and sweet to me :) Thank you a lot! Hugs
  • SoulGal7SoulGal7 Posts: 3,627 Member
    @ohSnap - welcome to Build-n-Share. Looking forward to seeing your creation. If you have any questions, check out page 1 for Rules, and Photos Tips, etc. Ask away, we're a helpful bunch :)
    @SoulGal7 That first video was the tutorial I was using, because I just wanted a simple access ramp with rails up to the deck. It worked okay, but there was a lip at the top and bottom of the ramp that I couldn't get rid of, because adjusting the roof (ramp) height and foundation height never worked out. One would always be at least a little lip higher or lower than the other. It would have probably been okay for general looks in the game, but I'm picky, because the trailer court I lived in was SUPER specific and touchy about accessibility ramps being just so. ^^;

ETA: Thanks for the other vids, though, because there are a couple other tips in them besides the ramps I'm stealing. <3

@SimsIslandheart - I had never done a ramp before either, so this was a first. Just tried one in game and it turned out ok. I think I need to make some of my trailers smaller because 5 sure do take up a lot of room on a lot! lol
  • SimsIslandheartSimsIslandheart Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2018
    SoulGal7 wrote: »
    @SimsIslandheart - I had never done a ramp before either, so this was a first. Just tried one in game and it turned out ok. I think I need to make some of my trailers smaller because 5 sure do take up a lot of room on a lot! lol

They definitely do! :O That's one good thing about ditching the ramps - I have just a scootch more space for putting driveways and such in. It's still going to be tight on the 40x30 lot I kicked Johnny Zest off of. XD

• Talea12345Talea12345 Posts: 132 Member
    The Sims 4 actually works on my grandma's computer so I can play!!! <3
    Quick question about adding the sports, musical, chess, painting equipment and pc to every trailer: Do they actually need to be usable? Or can I just add them and for example tug in the chair for the chess table? I sat down with my great-cousin and we thought of a few neat retirees to build trailers for and some of them don't seem likely to actually use everything... my dainty old cat lady, for example, might just put the boxing sack in the cat enclosure for her two babies to use. Would that count as adding sports equipment to the trailer?!
    The Sims 4 actually works on my grandma's computer so I can play!!! <3
    Quick question about adding the sports, musical, chess, painting equipment and pc to every trailer: Do they actually need to be usable? Or can I just add them and for example tug in the chair for the chess table? I sat down with my great-cousin and we thought of a few neat retirees to build trailers for and some of them don't seem likely to actually use everything... my dainty old cat lady, for example, might just put the boxing sack in the cat enclosure for her two babies to use. Would that count as adding sports equipment to the trailer?!
    edited August 2018
    Hi @Talea12345 - Yes, I would think that the fitness equipment, musical instrument, chess, painting etc have to work as that is part of the Hawthorne project criteria as bequested by Ms. Hawthorne in the original Hawthorne brief. Creative thought of the punching bag in the kitty litter box, though! lol But I do think the items have to be usable.

These items don't have to be inside the trailer, but just belong to the space assigned to a trailer. So, if you have 2 trailers side-by-side, it would be the space between the two.

You could do something like this (sample using Johnny Zest's and duplicate trailer), where you can still get to and use the items, but it looks like an overgrown area. (See punching bag and Johnny at painting easel behind shrubs). I hope this helps.

another_shot_of_overgrown_area.png
    Post edited by SoulGal7 on
    To add on to what @SoulGal7 posted, also consider the possibility of visitors, children, grandchildren, or others who might spend activity time with your retiree(s). One of the ways elders quickly become isolated and lonely is by not having resources to encourage visitors and family to spend time with them. Fixed incomes don't always leave room for "wants" like games, musical instruments, etc, which is part of the reason the Hawthorne Project includes them as necessities. Outdoor areas are a great place for such social interactions, either through the rarely-used-looking example @SoulGal7 posted, or through a more usable-looking option. (I included a screenshot of where my trailers are so far, but the landscaping isn't complete to give the full concept. Trailer 1 has a (small) outdoor basketball court, Trailer 2 has a covered outdoor chess table, and Harvey's trailer has a chess table, easel, and boxing bag outdoors. I'm still sliding things around, so 1 and 2 might also have outdoor easels instead of indoor easels.) 08-26-18_10-14-24c2a0am.png
    To add on to what @SoulGal7 posted, also consider the possibility of visitors, children, grandchildren, or others who might spend activity time with your retiree(s). One of the ways elders quickly become isolated and lonely is by not having resources to encourage visitors and family to spend time with them. Fixed incomes don't always leave room for "wants" like games, musical instruments, etc, which is part of the reason the Hawthorne Project includes them as necessities. Outdoor areas are a great place for such social interactions, either through the rarely-used-looking example @SoulGal7 posted, or through a more usable-looking option.

Thank you both for your answers. If it is about ensuring everyone can use the items, I still don't get why every single trailer needs to have them. Wouldn't it be more fun to create a community band room or something similar instead? Then everyone can use every musical item - visiting family members and friends included - and we would be able to create an interesting space for all. But we would still be able to put a table over a treadmill wheelchair-bound grandma isn't going to use either way.
    I used to work in a retirement community and most of the people there weren't able to do sports any longer and those that did went to community events with supervisors. Nobody wanted grandma/grandpa to do sports in their own spaces and get injured! Besides that, not one of the people I met where weight lifting or boxing. Maybe a treatmill would work, but popular sports seemed to be things that could be done in a group, like Aqua fitness and Yoga.

I am really sorry, but I really struggle with the need to make everything wheelchair accesible and then adding so much stuff that just isn't working without our retirees actually standing up and moving by themselves.

Maybe I will just build it for my own enjoyment and not enter it. I am just not fond of projects that don't really seem to be based in reality. :/

So thank you again for answering my questions, I will try to figure something out
    @Talea12345 I totally get where you're coming from! That's part of where my frustration with using roofs for makeshift ramps comes from. Even if I had been able to get it to look the way I wanted it to, I still had to put steps in for my sims to actually be able to use it, because they're not functional. To me, that kind of defeats the purpose of an accessibility ramp! The main reason you see both in public spaces is so that abled individuals aren't loitering on or destroying accessibility features, or causing conflicts with individuals who need to move slowly on a ramp. The Sims 4 game (and most challenges) assume abled use, because our sims do not have visible disabilities! There's actually a hashtag, #simswithdisabilities, where this problem is discussed, and there are TONS of videos on YouTube and personal sites about it.

To that extent, I'm building this with a still largely-abled group in mind. The couple who owns the basketball court, for example, enjoyed basketball in their youth, and they still play with neighborhood kids; their gym membership keeps them in shape enough to play. The couple with the sports car enjoys the look of youth, but they're starting to slow down a bit, so they have an indoor treadmill to keep active on, but they don't go crazy with the sports. Harvey, obviously, is not athletically-inclined, but he wants all the ladies to think he's all that, so he has the boxing bag out for show, and to occasionally hurt himself on when he's trying to show off. That's the sort of thought process I've been running with as I build. :)

I would like to be able to use the yoga mat as an option (one of my couples I haven't built for yet has a wife who is crazy about yoga), but I get that they're cheap and don't take up a lot of space, so I'll have to squish it in with some other equipment.
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member

I would like to be able to use the yoga mat as an option (one of my couples I haven't built for yet has a wife who is crazy about yoga), but I get that they're cheap and don't take up a lot of space, so I'll have to squish it in with some other equipment.

@SimsIslandheart - the yoga mat doesn't fulfil the fitness requirement ;)
    GArBA5W.jpg
    @SimsIslandheart - the yoga mat doesn't fulfil the fitness requirement ;)

Yep, she also has a treadmill. The yoga mat in her house is just an extra...I doubt it'll break the budget. ;)

Harvey, obviously, is not athletically-inclined, but he wants all the ladies to think he's all that, so he has the boxing bag out for show, and to occasionally hurt himself on when he's trying to show off. That's the sort of thought process I've been running with as I build. :)

@SimsIslandheart - oh I had a good laugh about this. You have pegged Harvey so well. He does have the romantic and lazy trait. lol But who knows maybe he will make a fresh start and actually try to get in shape. hehehe

@BuildNShare - Instead of each individual trailer having the required Hawthorne items, fitness item, musical instrument, etc., could there be a main area where this could be? So, for instance, for fitness items, as long as there are 5 fitness items (no yoga mats) on the lot then it would qualify? So perhaps a mini-fitness area (4 fitness items like punching bag, 2 treadmills, weights and a pool), and in the community center, the musical instruments and 5 chess sets?

Also, do all the residences have to be wheelchair-accessible with the ramp? Thanks :)
  • SyddyB206SyddyB206 Posts: 353 Member
    Do the requirements have to be IN the house? Like, can I put some fitness equipment in the 'yard' of one of the neighbors houses?
    0TSlsxY.jpg
    edited August 2018
    SyddyB206 wrote: »
    Do the requirements have to be IN the house? Like, can I put some fitness equipment in the 'yard' of one of the neighbors houses?

@SyddyB206 - We must have posted at the same time. I have put in a question to Build-n-Share about this.
    @SyddyB206 and @SoulGal7 - you can place the skill equipment outside the home under a porch etc, but it does have to be easily accessible from the residents home, preferably not in a neighbours garden, or shared space.

No, not all homes need to have 'ramps'.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2018
    fcuRqPI.png
    3gHHX7s.png
    ATTENTION STARTING OUT ENTRANTS FOR #BnS101 - Five by Five - your results are now available here.
    3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
    fcuRqPI.png
    3gHHX7s.png
    ATTENTION STARTING OUT SIM ENTRANTS FOR #BnS101 - Five by Five - your results are now available here.
    3gHHX7s.png
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    Hello everyone! Just a little (probably silly) question - what is the hashtag I need to use when I uoload my lot to the gallery? Is it #bns102? Thanks and sorry for silly questions! :D
    ohSnap wrote: »
    Hello everyone! Just a little (probably silly) question - what is the hashtag I need to use when I uoload my lot to the gallery? Is it #bns102? Thanks and sorry for silly questions! :D

That's right, @ohSnap. And if you ever want to check for future challenges, the hashtag you need to use is in the first post on Page 1, right above the clocks. That post will always have the current challenge requirements posted in it. :)
    [quote="SimsIslandheart;c-16702131"][quote="ohSnap;c-16702128"]Hello everyone! Just a little (probably silly) question - what is the hashtag I need to use when I uoload my lot to the gallery? Is it #bns102? Thanks and sorry for silly questions! :D [/quote]

That's right, @ohSnap. And if you ever want to check for future challenges, the hashtag you need to use is in the first post on Page 1, right above the clocks. That post will always have the current challenge requirements posted in it. :)[/quote]

Ahhhhh - thanks so much for the speedy (and informative) reply!

I've tried searching for past challenges on the gallery using that hashtag - but I always get 'No results found' so I wasn't sure! Must just be my gallery being wonky. I hope the judges will be able to find my entry :cold_sweat:
    edited August 2018
    Ahhhhh - thanks so much for the speedy (and informative) reply!

I've tried searching for past challenges on the gallery using that hashtag - but I always get 'No results found' so I wasn't sure! Must just be my gallery being wonky. I hope the judges will be able to find my entry :cold_sweat:

It's not necessarily just you! There are a couple things to take into consideration:

- This challenge is the only one hashtagged #BnS102, because it's challenge #102. So, if you're looking for the last challenge's entries, for example, you look for #BnS101, and so on.

- It can be kind of tricky to find hashtagged user uploads in the gallery! Sometimes, it just plain old doesn't work - there have been many times I couldn't find my own entries, just because something was wrong with the Gallery at the time. If the Gallery is operating, first make sure you're signed in at the top right, then have "Maxis Curated" unchecked in the "Advanced" Box and "Search by Hashtag" in the Search box. After that, you can change your sort, add the hashtag you want to search by, and clicking the Search icon will Search for that hashtag.

7LDdaYa.jpg

NlYLIBP.jpg

I hope that helps you out!

ETA: I just searched for #BnS102, and it said nothing could be found. If you've already uploaded your entry with that in the description, then the Gallery is being wonky again.
    Thanks for helping out @SimsIslandheart!!
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Hello everyone! Just a little (probably silly) question - what is the hashtag I need to use when I upload my lot to the gallery? Is it #bns102? Thanks and sorry for silly questions! :D

Hi @ohsnap - what is your origin id? I did a search this morning and there is nothing up yet for #BNS102. But when I searched #BNS101 (the last challenge), I had to choose "Newest" "All" or it didn't bring up any results. Obviously, the gallery is being glitchy again.
    Hello @SoulGal7 !
    My origin id is fwoomage

I managed to find it using the hashtag after I'd uploaded it last night so I'd assumed it was all working. Obviously not haha!

I used CC in the build, so that's another box that has to be checked to make sure it comes up!

Thanks for your help, everyone! Much appreciated. Now if only the Gallery was as helpful as you guys :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top