Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about Genetics

SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
In the game, a child is just son or daughter. It doesn’t matter if they were born to the couple or adopted. How does the game know when to pass genes down and when not to?
This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    An adopted child wouldn't have the same genetic features as a biological child though so logically that sim's children shouldn't resemble the adoptive grandparents.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    I think genetics are set at birth. Kids in the adoption pool are spawned with randomized genetics instead of inheriting.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    In the game, a child is just son or daughter. It doesn’t matter if they were born to the couple or adopted.
    Not understanding what you mean by this?
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Cupid wrote: »
    In the game, a child is just son or daughter. It doesn’t matter if they were born to the couple or adopted.

I think OP means there’s nothing on the family tree or relationship panel that shows if a kid is adopted.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    edited August 2018
    Cupid wrote: »

I think OP means there’s nothing on the family tree or relationship panel that shows if a kid is adopted.

Bingo. I have a sim who has taken in a friends kid upon their death. The child is listed as daughter. But she isn’t. I don’t want the “dad” genetics affecting her kid.

Here’s the thing. She wasn’t born in game. I made her when I made him, in the beginning.

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
    In that case, her genetics were set in CAS.
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    Yeah, like foxx_fennec said, the genetics of an adoptive father won't show up for her. The only time genetics are passed down is, like in real life, when two parents have a biological child together in-game.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
    But how do I fix it? There was only one option at creation time. This is game breaking for me.

• PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    You must have clicked on play with genetics instead of new sim?
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    But how do I fix it? There was only one option at creation time. This is game breaking for me.

You can delete the child in CAS use the parent/s of choice and create a child that way through play with genetics or have the couple try for a baby
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »
    You must have clicked on play with genetics instead of new sim?

No. It was a new sim, but the relationship thing wouldn't allow roomate. Only daughter.
    drakharis wrote: »
    You can delete the child in CAS use the parent/s of choice and create a child that way through play with genetics or have the couple try for a baby

Oh no... she's aged up to teen and young adult at this point. She's maxed out almost all her skills. I don't want to do that.

• Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Try saving her to your library and delete her from your save, then add back to the household. That should clear the relationship.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member
    If she is a YA, you should be able to change her relationship in CAS. Just type testingcheats on and then cas.fulleditmode.
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    If you have mccc you can change the relationship that way as well.
    Laira wrote: »
    If she is a YA, you should be able to change her relationship in CAS. Just type testingcheats on and then cas.fulleditmode.

You know, I didn’t consider that. Thanks!

• dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    But no matter what the relationship is set as, the girl's "dad" has no effect on the genetics of the girl's offspring, does he?
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
    But no matter what the relationship is set as, the girl's "dad" has no effect on the genetics of the girl's offspring, does he?

Correct.
    edited August 2018

Correct.

Let me make sure I understand what you guys are saying.

If I create a new family with a husband and wife, then make a "new sim" child and set their relationships, the child has it's own DNA.

If I create a new family with a husband and wife, then make a "play with genetics" child for them, the child inherits their DNA.

Is this correct?

• dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I believe so yes. As far as I understand, a sims can't pass on their parents DNA if they themselves don't exhibit it. So once a child is born or made, it has its "own" DNA, so no matter the relationship with their parents, there is no recessive DNA from their parents that could be passed on to their own offspring.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member

Correct.

Let me make sure I understand what you guys are saying.

If I create a new family with a husband and wife, then make a "new sim" child and set their relationships, the child has it's own DNA.

If I create a new family with a husband and wife, then make a "play with genetics" child for them, the child inherits their DNA.

Is this correct?

That is correct. The only way to link genetics is to have a sim child in game or create one using “play with genetics” in CAS.