Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Freckles??

This is my first time posting, so please be gentle. I have a few sims that I have given freckles in CAS, because I adore them, but I have noticed that none of their kids ever get them passed down. I hate modifying my born in game sims genetics as a rule but I do just to add freckles. Are they not considered Gene's in the game, or am I just unlucky in the gene lottery?

Comments

• drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited August 2018
    Outside of the game, freckles are the result of how the sun is exposed to the skin. With a concentration of melatonin. I don't know if this is applied to the game mechanics or not. You could always just add in freckles to the kids too. I don't know if the Season's pack takes that into consideration with gameplay or not.

https://www.medicinenet.com/freckles/article.htm#what_are_freckles
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited August 2018
    drakharis wrote: »
    Outside of the game, freckles are the result of how the sun is exposed to the skin.
    While this isn't incorrect, it also isn't definitive. Genetics play a role as well

The very article you linked to:
    Research in twin siblings, including pairs of identical twins and pairs of fraternal (nonidentical) twins, have found a striking similarity in the total number of freckles found on each pair of identical twins. Such similarities were considerably less common in fraternal twins. These studies strongly suggest that the occurrence of freckles is influenced by genetic factors. The variations in freckle counts appear to be due largely to heredity.

Anyway, I don't think anything in the skin detail section of CAS gets passed down genetically.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    Outside of the game, freckles are the result of how the sun is exposed to the skin. With a concentration of melatonin. I don't know if this is applied to the game mechanics or not. You could always just add in freckles to the kids too. I don't know if the Season's pack takes that into consideration with gameplay or not.

Ah. That would explain it. Don't know why I always assumed it was a heritable thing. Thank you for the info
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    Outside of the game, freckles are the result of how the sun is exposed to the skin.
    While this isn't incorrect, it also isn't definitive. Genetics play a role as well

Research in twin siblings, including pairs of identical twins and pairs of fraternal (nonidentical) twins, have found a striking similarity in the total number of freckles found on each pair of identical twins. Such similarities were considerably less common in fraternal twins. These studies strongly suggest that the occurrence of freckles is influenced by genetic factors. The variations in freckle counts appear to be due largely to heredity.

Anyway, I don't think anything in the skin detail section of CAS gets passed down genetically.

I did once see a sim whose mother had a beauty mark and he inherited the beauty mark too. He's somewhere in this thread https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/941218/vlad-the-progenitor
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    I've never had freckles pass down I have to manually add them
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
    I would just like to mention that while I do love the game obviously, I feel like the generic componant is seriously lacking. It's one of the most interesting and interactive part of the game for me and I really do wish that it could be more complex and realistic. I think it's a very missed point in the game.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    My Sims typically have freckles passed down
    My Sims typically have freckles passed down

Really!?! Do you have mods?
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    I have to add them manually too, and with born-in-game Sims it can be an absolute chore because they don't always stick the first time. Even when generating Sims in CAS, whether new or through genetics, they never have freckles.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I've seen freckles passed down in the game, but it was a long time ago. Maybe they did something and it doesn't happen anymore?
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    I've always had to add skin features, sadly. A shame because freckles really suit some sims.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

Anyway, I don't think anything in the skin detail section of CAS gets passed down genetically

Sadly it no it doesn't.

I wish sims in TS4 had DNA like on TS2.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    No genetic for freckles, nothing in the skin details category is enabled for random.
  • DexterDexter Posts: 17 Member
    This bothers me quite a lot, recently I've been playing a legacy where both parents have freckles and yet none of their children got them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think ts3 had sims able to pass down freckles to their children either (maybe the chances were just really low??)
    tumblr_pe726fds1o1x5vb03o1_400.gif
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I thought it was impossible to pass freckles genetically in-game. So I always added them manually. But then I saw it happen ONCE in all my thousand of hours of playing. I was ecstatic.
    This is the Mom:
    ZnOc5qo.jpg
    This is her son:
    VrYSyEm.jpg
    He came out looking like this. So the freckles were there the instant he aged up into a toddler
    VMb6iBD.jpg

So... it's possible to pass them on genetically in-game, but I'd argue it's the rarest event I've ever seen. You'd be better off adding them manually.
  • vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member

This is wrong - freckles can be passed down through genetics in real life - being someone whose face is entirely covered in freckles that aren't caused by the sun. Although, of course, I do get more freckles in the summer time when I'm exposed to more sun.

Yes - I've never had freckles passed down to any of my kids in the game unfourtuantely....I've always wanted this feature added as I think they are just adorable on the Sims! Maybe they do sometimes get passed down - but I've never had it in my game :(
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    Huh. I’m confused. The only sim I’ve ever played who has freckles has had a child (well, toddler) who has freckles and this is the first time I’ve had a child with freckles (usually play parents without freckles). I just assumed it was inherited... This happened just yesterday.

And in my game, Lilith Vatore’s son inherited her beauty mark. This happened recently too.

Are skin details not usually inherited then?
    Maybe they can be inherited but I've just had bad luck - I've never had freckles inherited but maybe it is a 50-50 chance like hair colour. Sorry I can't be of more help!
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited August 2018
    If you want to put on freckles on your sim, choose an adult sims (teen to elder), click on the mirror or closet and choose Change Sim. Then you can put on the freckles. Freckles are avalible for all sims from toddler stage to elder stage.
    You can also do that while in Manage Households.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    I don't think it can be passed down genetically in TS4. Maybe the people who have seen it before were just lucky and the game just randomly set it to that?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I don't think it can be passed down genetically in TS4. Maybe the people who have seen it before were just lucky and the game just randomly set it to that?
    It’s just weird because I’ve played many parents without freckles and none have had a child with freckles. The first time I play a parent with freckles their child has freckles! And Lilith Vayore’s son has her birth mark in the exact same place which seems too much like a coincidence.

Maybe a guru could clarify? I am interested in whether I’ve just been weirdly lucky somehow.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    It’s just weird because I’ve played many parents without freckles and none have had a child with freckles. The first time I play a parent with freckles their child has freckles! And Lilith Vayore’s son has her birth mark in the exact same place which seems too much like a coincidence.

Maybe a guru could clarify? I am interested in whether I’ve just been weirdly lucky somehow.

I don't even know what guru to even ask here...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    I think in the Sims 3, wasn't freckles and beauty marks supposed to have a chance of inheritance? It may be a small chance. I wish/ hope that the same goes for TS4. I've yet to see it actually happen though...

Also wondering, IF these traits can be inherited, what about the different types of teeth?? Hmm...
    F8wHsKZ.png
    I would love for a guru to answer this so we know once and for all :)!